Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Reopening April 24th pending state approval

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on February 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm
ilrider wrote:Opening date seems to have disappeared from the page. It is ridiculous if this park cannot open again this year. We went to three parks in three different states without any issues last year. With social distancing, masks, and possibly reservations to limit attendance, should be totally safe.

I doubt they have to close all season (although May may be a bit optimistic), especially if the reports about most people being able to get vaccines by summer are true (since if the State sticks to their rules, that's what there waiting for).

I will say 'I was at other parks without problems' isn't really that great an argument, because I'm sure even medical experts would agree that MOST of the time it's fine. The question (which I don't particularly think is worth debating here) basically is, is it worth having it open if it's fine 95% of the time (random made up number) but there might be an outbreak 5% or whatever. Different people/states/groups disagree on where that line is, obviously.
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on February 19th, 2021, 9:32 am
UPDATE February 19th

A Six Flags corporate press release reveals opening day to be April 24

Six Flags Great America, the Thrill Capital of the Midwest, is preparing to open to the public on April 24. Hurricane Harbor Chicago will open on May 29 and the world-record breaking water coaster, Tsunami Surge will make its debut this summer. Towering an incredible 86 feet in height, this innovative water coaster will be the tallest-of-its-kind in the world. Riders will reach a top speed of 28 miles-per-hour over 950 feet of enclosed tunnels and open-air slides with three gravity-defying blasts and five breathtaking drops. Tsunami Surge will also feature AquaLucent technology, giving riders the sensation of traveling at the speed of light as brilliant colors and dreamlike imagery heighten the ride experience.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... VDm41a9cVI

The same press release also states
Now we are hiring and preparing to reopen every Six Flags park in our system as we continue to work with state and government officials to set firm reopening dates for our parks in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Mexico City, and Canada

What is interesting is that, of the parks in the states/countries mentioned, ours is the only one that gives a date. SFNE, SF Mexico, La Ronde basically say "preparing to reopen to the public this spring pending [insert relevant government here] reopening guidance"
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on February 19th, 2021, 3:53 pm
Marcus LaShock says they are still awaiting state approval. Would have to image they feel good about getting approval if they are advertised the date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on February 19th, 2021, 4:03 pm
Or they're figuring if they advertise it and it doesn't happen, they can just blame the state and try to get some pressure on them to change their rules. Don't really see the downside from the Six Flags standpoint. Remains to be seen if it'll happen, though...
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on February 19th, 2021, 4:27 pm
Very true. He states that they have gotten approval for the water park! And uses the words “official” approval as if the state has maybe given them a timeline or potential reopening but hasn’t officially confirmed it. We shall see either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby JackGlass on February 21st, 2021, 2:21 pm
I just watched the Nocoaster con video (it's on Great Americas facebook page) At the end of the video, there were two people with what looked like blue prints overlooking Buccaneer Battle.
JackGlass

Postby anewman35 on February 21st, 2021, 2:51 pm
JackGlass wrote:I just watched the Nocoaster con video (it's on Great Americas facebook page) At the end of the video, there were two people with what looked like blue prints overlooking Buccaneer Battle.

It's on Instagram too.

Keep in mind though that this video also had a bunch of jokes about removing the Whizzer right beforehand and was aimed at a audience that presumably they expected to get the jokes (and hate BB), so it's hard to say if anything in the video was actually meant as any sort of tease or it was all just a joke.
anewman35

Postby Coaster Justin on February 21st, 2021, 6:18 pm
I would argue to SFGAm Marketing is almost as trolling as Tony Clark.

At least Tony answers questions and reveals stuff about food. Great America doesn't even do that much anymore. They couldn't announce a Hot Dog Stand last year?
811 Coasters in 31 States and 9 Countries. Email me if you want to Know.

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby anewman35 on February 21st, 2021, 8:28 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:I would argue to SFGAm Marketing is almost as trolling as Tony Clark.

At least Tony answers questions and reveals stuff about food. Great America doesn't even do that much anymore. They couldn't announce a Hot Dog Stand last year?

Forgot to mention there was also a tease of them doing something to the Eagle. Again, especialt given the audience, I think it was much more a joke than a hint...
anewman35

Postby BCarroll on February 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Assuming the park opens on April 24th as planned, do you think Justice League could remain closed? I know other parks have been able to "safely" open theirs, but with Illinois tight guidelines I don't have a strong feeling JL will be opening this season. Same can be said with Sky Trek Tower. STT was seldom open during the 2019 season and it seems highly unlikely they would be able to fit people in that cabin to allow for social distancing. Also, given that the cabin is such a small space, there is no air filtration system in there. If STT is allowed to open, I just don't see it being worth while to do so.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby rctfr on March 1st, 2021, 11:18 am
BCarroll wrote:Assuming the park opens on April 24th as planned, do you think Justice League could remain closed? I know other parks have been able to "safely" open theirs, but with Illinois tight guidelines I don't have a strong feeling JL will be opening this season. Same can be said with Sky Trek Tower. STT was seldom open during the 2019 season and it seems highly unlikely they would be able to fit people in that cabin to allow for social distancing. Also, given that the cabin is such a small space, there is no air filtration system in there. If STT is allowed to open, I just don't see it being worth while to do so.

Good point. I had a similar concern for Batman's staircase and hallway leading to the station. I think there's a couple fans and vents in there, but that tight enclosed space gets really hot in the summer for a reason. I may dodge Batman this season unless it's a walk-on or station-wait, which (luckily) is fairly common these days. I'd be interested to know how other Batman clones that operated last season may have dealt with this (if at all).
rctfr

Postby momlovescoasters on March 1st, 2021, 9:00 pm
I’ve been to Busch Gardens, Disney and Universal since Oct. People should have a choice. If you are scared, don’t go. People that want to enjoy the park should be able to go. Employees that need the job should be able to work.
momlovescoasters

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum