Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Two Questions -- AE and Water Flume rides...

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby StealthNet on May 8th, 2003, 9:05 pm
Hey,I noticed that the American Eagle has a booth at the top of the helix (visible here: http://members.aol.com/crabtreesbus/SFGAm/helix.gif), and I was wondering when was the last time they had that manned? I've been going for years, and I can't seem to remember seeing anyone up there. Also, what was the point of it, such as, what would the person there be monitoring that is no longer necessary today?Secondly, on both log flume rides, there's a left and right chute for the drops. Whenever I've gone, only one of them is open (the right side on Logger's Run for example), and I can't remember ever seeing them use the left side in awhile. Was there a time when they used both sides of the drops at the same time? At the bottom of the drops, each side merges so that wouldn't work... just wondering why both the left and right side was needed and what the purpose is?
StealthNet

Postby Chitown on May 8th, 2003, 9:23 pm
The booth on the American Eagle was manned at one time. I believe throughout the 80s and possibly the early 90's. From what I was told, the person in the booth had the ability to apply brakes to the trains if they were travelling to fast into the helix. It was also a way to see if riders were standing up or doing something they shouldnt(back then the restraints consisted of one big bar that didnt come down to your lap and also had seatbelts.) It was very easy to stand up on this ride back then.The flume rides did use to utilize both sides of the drops. I really cant say why they constructed a dual drop but I guess SF feels its not worth using both. Capacity doesnt increase by using both sides.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on May 8th, 2003, 9:27 pm
I hardly remember ANYONE up there at the AE booth, I guess it's some sort of booth were the employee's or mechanic/ watchman used to look for trouble when ever the train passed the starting of the helix.And those two sides for the log flume rides. What if there's a problem with the right side(inspection, leaking) then they have a "spare" left side to use.I don't know for sure, but it's what I guessed. :roll:P.S. Welcome to SFGAm World Fourms!
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby T_Biggs on May 8th, 2003, 9:37 pm
If there was a problem with one side, it would probably involve water leaking really bad. Water likes going down, doesn't matter which side, so the whole ride would close. The rides are Arrow Hydroflumes. They are designed where capacity can be increased by holding a boat at the top of one chute, and having the other occupied. Alternating this will make more boats go through.And Eagle had a buzzbar? SWEET! I wish I could have rode it then...
T_Biggs

Postby Chitown on May 8th, 2003, 10:30 pm
Well, if it increases capacity, it isnt by much. Either way the boats get jammed up before the drop. If they utilized a way for 2 boats to drop at the same time, then capacity would increase greatly.Yep, the Eagle use to have buzzbars. It also didnt have seat dividers. The 80's for the Eagle was a glorious time.
Chitown

Postby greatamerica2003 on May 9th, 2003, 6:38 pm
Eagle used to run 3 trains. That booth was manned when there were 3 trains. The host up there could apply brakes if the trains were too close together (AKA Block System) Now that the coaster only uses 2 trains, the "Crows Nest" as it's called is no longer needed. It's filled with some electronic equipment now.Chitown, I'm not saying you are wrong, but I beg to differ on the flume thing. I was always told that they were an excess water runoff chute, and that they were never used for the purpose of sending boats down. Unless someone has actually seen it happen. 2 boats going down at the same time? They would have to go back in the same channel eventually to get back into the station. It just doesn't sound logical to me. It actually sounds a bit dangerous.And I'm in the dark about the buzzbar thing. Explain why its called that. Maybe we called it something else.
Last edited by greatamerica2003 on May 11th, 2003, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby Chitown on May 9th, 2003, 9:02 pm
You missed my point about 2 boats going down at the same time. I never said it could actually do it. I meant that if it was constructed to drop two boats, it would increase capacity.They did however use to run both sides, but only 1 boat at a time.A buzzbar is basically those huge 1 piece lap bar that covers both seats. It only comes down to a certain point which means it doesnt touch your lap. When the Eagle had these buzzbars, they also had seatbelts.
Chitown

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum