Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Young child died at SFGAm today, opening day

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chiatrain on May 6th, 2003, 2:19 pm
Here is an article about the updated situation from UPI:http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030506-011051-9432r
chiatrain

Postby Do I Know You on May 6th, 2003, 2:50 pm
I was the only kid in my whole school who was there when that girl died. I told one person and now everyone is asking me stuff like "Were you on the ride when that happened?" and "Did you see an ambulence?". It's really annoying.
this is a signature
Do I Know You

Postby coastrcorey on May 6th, 2003, 3:06 pm
Why did it say on that article that "There were no signs restricting food and beverages at the Raging Bull coaster."?? I'm pretty sure there are signs, isn't there?
coastrcorey

Postby joker on May 6th, 2003, 3:08 pm
I thought there was...maybe only on a few rides... :?But I wouldnt be that stupid and chew gum because I know I will be spitting it out anyways...
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby chiatrain on May 6th, 2003, 4:06 pm
I'm not sure if there is a "no food" sign posted outside of Raging Bull, but these new signs are supposedly an "expanded" food ban, prohibiting gum and candy now as well.
chiatrain

Postby Blink3020 on May 6th, 2003, 4:35 pm
I'm pretty sure that the sign has always said no food but I could be wrong. Nobody could have predicted this would happen, it's just a freek accident but very sad...
"No, Viper does not have any loops."
Blink3020

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 6th, 2003, 4:39 pm
well.....what i said before about me spitting my gum out at the top pf the lift hill.....i only did that 2wice because i forgot i was chewing it until we started going up :oops: .....but i never bring gum to the park anymore....just candy, but i only eat that in the shows and in the lines.....but im never gonna chew anything anymore once im in the station....lol :lol:
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby coasterguy on May 6th, 2003, 4:44 pm
Don't get me wrong it is sad the the little girl died but stupidity cuased it. It was both her a her aunts fualt. Common sense tells you not to eat candy on any type rollercoaster especially a 200ft+, 73 mph hypertwister (I know they probably didn't know the facts). Her aunt should have realized the same.
Last edited by coasterguy on May 6th, 2003, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby Dre on May 6th, 2003, 4:47 pm
Her Anut!?!
Dre

Postby stolen_starz on May 6th, 2003, 4:50 pm
i don't normally spit it out if i have gum. i swallow it because think about it, would YOU want to be the one at the bottom getting gum in your hair? that's pretty gross. when we were on v2 sunday, i was in the very last row and the row in front of us, this girl was screaming her lungs out and when we went backwards and stopped on the straight-a-way, her gum fell out of her mouth and on the guy in like the 2nd row, that kinda sucks, i really try not to chew gum on rides like that just out of consideration for other riders and for the people around the rides that is may just land on. i saw people on superman trying to spit on people in the queue lines and i thougt that was pretty childish and rude, i'm sure they'll do something to cut down on that.
Need a break from college homework.. 2004 season, come faster!!
stolen_starz

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 6th, 2003, 4:51 pm
hahaha...its aunt!!! lol.....but i agree....and i heard it was taffy not gum, but basically same thing....but it was their fault, common sense! :roll:but my prayers are w/ their family :)
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby coasterguy on May 6th, 2003, 4:51 pm
Dre wrote:Her Anut!?!
Sorry I was in a hurry!?!?!?!?!
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
coasterguy

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 6th, 2003, 4:56 pm
So am I stupid because I have chewed gum on a Rollercoaster before sometime in my life (can't remember an exact moment, but im sure ive done it). Like I said, gum is a really easy thing to forget you have in your mouth. I wouldn't go and call the person stupid or anything, its a tradgic mistake if you ask me. According to the latest article in the Daily Hearld it said she was a honor roll student..she was hardly stupid if you ask me. Just a very tradgic mistake.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby stolen_starz on May 6th, 2003, 5:09 pm
yea i agree, but after what happened saturday, before leaving sunday, i took the pack of gum OUT of my bookbag because I always have some in there for school. I just thought it wasn't a good idea and i'm sure now all of us will think twice. i'm sure i've chewed gum without realizing but if i DO realize it, i just swallow it just in case and i don't wanna spit it out on someone because i know i wouldn't like it on my head. lol :shock:
stolen_starz

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on May 6th, 2003, 5:32 pm
well all I have to say that it's HER falut not the parks falut, this would'nt of happened if she would of read the signs or thought twice about it.Well SFGAm had a perfect safety record until it got scratched, but it's not broken........................................ :(
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby coasterguy on May 6th, 2003, 5:38 pm
I have chewed gum before too, and it is very easily forgoten, but tafy and gum are too different things. Tafy is alot bigger unless your chewing Bubbalicious or many pieces.
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
coasterguy

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 6th, 2003, 5:42 pm
TwistedSTEEL666 wrote:well all I have to say that it's HER falut not the parks falut, this would'nt of happened if she would of read the signs or thought twice about it.
The park has said in the latest Daily Hearld article that Raging Bull did not have the signs that said No Food or Drinks on the ride. While I know the park is not to blame, I don't think people should really blame the girl. This was a freak accident and if you ask me a blame doesn't need to be placed. Accidents happen....
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby stolen_starz on May 6th, 2003, 5:49 pm
Yeah.. I agree with cd316, it is very easy to forget and u may underestimate what a little thing like chewing gum or candy can do on a ride like that and what kind of effect it could have. I can see that taffy is a lot bigger than gum and that is a given not to chew that on a ride, but no one deserves that to happen to them and my thoughts go out to the girl's family.
stolen_starz

Postby Aero737 on May 6th, 2003, 6:34 pm
I was there today (Physics) and the new signs are noticible. On raging bull they have a new big sign outside the station and on EVERY ride thet have new bolded white high contrast stickers that say NO GUM AND CANDY. I have a few pics that I will be able so share later tonight of the new signs.EDIT: The ride ops also told us not to chew gum/candy on the rides.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby coasterzak on May 6th, 2003, 6:44 pm
This story was pretty huge. It was big news around my house, and I live 8 hours away. I heard it on here first, but then heard it on the news. It's good that they are getting the word out there not to chew gum. I do it on coasters all the time, I guess I'm a lucky kid, and my gum chewing days are over.
coasterzak

Postby joker on May 6th, 2003, 7:15 pm
yeah, I would stop A.S.A.P
joker

Postby coastrcorey on May 6th, 2003, 8:44 pm
Lol... yeah. I've never chewed gum, or eatin' candy on a ride... Idunno, I guess I just don't have time to think about bringing or chewing gum. I'm always so excited to be going to Great America that I just sort of don't even think about gum or candy.
coastrcorey

Postby Coaster_Chick on May 6th, 2003, 9:00 pm
yeah I've chewed gum on coasters before, but I'll definitely think twice about it now. I remember once on Demon I was going through one of the corkscrew loops and the gum fell out of my mouth and landed on the seat next to me...it would have really sucked if someone was sitting there...
~Theresa~
*Undercover Line Jumper Ejector*
Trips in '05: 2 Next up: May 8
The Posse
Coaster_Chick

Postby joker on May 7th, 2003, 2:29 pm
CoasterDude316 wrote:So am I stupid because I have chewed gum on a Rollercoaster before sometime in my life (can't remember an exact moment, but im sure ive done it). Like I said, gum is a really easy thing to forget you have in your mouth. I wouldn't go and call the person stupid or anything, its a tradgic mistake if you ask me. According to the latest article in the Daily Hearld it said she was a honor roll student..she was hardly stupid if you ask me. Just a very tradgic mistake.
No I am not calling you stupid, or other people stupid.
joker

Postby linebacker131 on May 7th, 2003, 3:57 pm
i have chewed gum on coasters before but i usually spit it out when i get out of the launch pad. :shock:
linebacker131

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum