Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Young child died at SFGAm today, opening day

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby rctfan1556 on May 4th, 2003, 4:29 am
yah if she died from eating on the ride it is her fault. because in the rules dosen't it say no foood or drinks? :roll: well it still is sad but i hope they don't take out RB just because of of something the ride didn't do. Hey was this why there were all those news people there yesterday because i saw 4 to 5 news vans and one news helicopter. :shock:
rctfan1556

Location: My Location is secret. You can't haz! *Hides Location* *Hint: Follow the clues* ;D

Postby SFGAMkid on May 4th, 2003, 8:46 am
I agree with you rctfan:If someone is that stupid to eat food or chew gum on a roller coaster, they are really messed up. I am suprised no one saw her doing this. Then again, maybe she put a piece in going up the lift hill. Wouldn't the girls relative say anything??? An accidient like this is stupidity and I see no reason as of now to close RB for a long period of time.So by the autopsy they will perform, would they be able to tell when she put the gum in? I ask this because I am not a detective expert.
SFGAMkid

Postby keg5651 on May 4th, 2003, 9:42 am
rctfan1556 wrote:yah if she died from eating on the ride it is her fault. because in the rules dosen't it say no foood or drinks? :roll: well it still is sad but i hope they don't take out RB just because of of something the ride didn't do. Hey was this why there were all those news people there yesterday because i saw 4 to 5 news vans and one news helicopter. :shock:
They wont take RB out anytime soon, it already got aproved by the state that it is safe to run the same day the incident happened.
keg5651

Postby Aero737 on May 4th, 2003, 11:38 am
I was at the park at raging bull when it happened. I never saw them evacuate people off the lift, but maybe I missed something. I did see them evacuate people on the station breaks. The lone ride op at the enterance said it was going to be a long wait, then a bunch of park security and managment came out and ushered us to leave all of Southwest Territory. Of course they were exageraiting, but they did evacuate the aera around RB's enterance and Giant Drops enterance. We hung around for maybe 20 min, then we went to go get my pass processed. When we finally got situated and were in line for AE red, RB started testing.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby joker on May 4th, 2003, 1:50 pm
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby CoasterShad on May 4th, 2003, 2:39 pm
Her symptoms sound like she had a brain aneyurism that popped while she was on the ride. When my mom's aneyurism burst her head started looking like she was asleep and it was pretty much the same as what was described.
"And...Purple. Ohhh, I love purple"
CoasterShad

Postby coastrcorey on May 4th, 2003, 4:34 pm
Yeah, I was over by Raging Bull when they closed the area off... I didn't know what was going on, in fact I even jokingly said to my dad "Geez, it's almost like someone died or something.". At the time I had no clue someone really had died. Scary.
coastrcorey

Postby rctfan1556 on May 4th, 2003, 5:18 pm
ya i don't think she choked on anything because what i read in the news paper it said that she was saying "i can't breathe" and looked like she was falling asleep now when some one is choking it would be really hard to say anything. My parents belive that she had some sort oh pre existing condition. so i'm not sure on what acually happened. still sad though :cry:
rctfan1556

Location: My Location is secret. You can't haz! *Hides Location* *Hint: Follow the clues* ;D

Postby SFGAMkid on May 4th, 2003, 6:00 pm
Let me get this straight...They're leaning towards a health-risk limitation than no food or dring on ride. It this right?
SFGAMkid

Postby coastrcorey on May 4th, 2003, 8:27 pm
Man, I hope this doesn't affect the park (or Raging Bull)... That would really suck.I don't want to sound rude though, my thoughts and prayers do go out to the family of the girl.
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on May 4th, 2003, 9:30 pm
Sounds pretty intense, sad story. Hope that RB doesn't get a bad impressions after this.
coasterzak

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 4th, 2003, 10:16 pm
maybe the girl was just really freaked out and could handle that first drop or sumthing....she could have been sucking on candy to calm herself down...maybe :?
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby Aero737 on May 4th, 2003, 10:26 pm
According to WGN and FOX, the girl choked on a piece of gum. Thats horrible, and I will always think twice before chewing gum on a rollercoaster.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 4th, 2003, 10:39 pm
I really feel bad for the girl and her family :cry: . My prayers go out to her family. Thank God I never ate or chewed anything while I was on any ride.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 4th, 2003, 10:40 pm
lol...you chew on the ride?!? when i do...i spit it out at the top of the lift hill so i dont choke!!!!!
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby Aero737 on May 4th, 2003, 10:48 pm
well then, you must the the culprit of all the gum plastered all over Raging Bull. I swear, if you look at the track, you can see where the gum sticks. it hits the ties of the track and tuns blackish over time. Wait a few weeks and you will see fesh gum everywhere. I will have to be more carefull around coasterswimgurl now. I dont want to get hit by any gum. :lol:
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby Chitown on May 4th, 2003, 10:49 pm
I wont get the attitude that Travis has. :wink: Just messin Travis.Up until this incident, no-one has passed away inside the parks property. Last year a man was having a serious asthma attack in the park, but died outside of the park.The park has experienced some injuries in its 28 years , but no deaths(until now). Barbara Richardson(the Lake County Coroner) has stated today that it appears the girl did choke on something but they were still going to perform more tests.So its safe to assume that this park still has a flawless death record due to a ride.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby coastrcorey on May 5th, 2003, 3:54 pm
Exactly Chitown... This doesn't really count. And on the news this morning they said that the autopsy proved that it was a 99% chance she choked on gum. So in other words, she choked on gum.
coastrcorey

Postby Coaster_Chick on May 5th, 2003, 6:54 pm
I heard...and it probably IS just a rumor that a man had a heart attack and died on or soon after he got off of Vertical Velocity two years ago. Anyone ever hear of that? Just wondering...As for raging bull...I was in line for viper when it got shut down...and ya know when you're in line for viper you're kinda watching raging bull and I remember wondering why it had stopped. Raging Bull hardly EVER breaks so I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem, but after that we went out to the car for lunch and I remember hearing sirens and stuff on our way out.
~Theresa~
*Undercover Line Jumper Ejector*
Trips in '05: 2 Next up: May 8
The Posse
Coaster_Chick

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 5th, 2003, 7:00 pm
i was in line for American Eagle when i heard the sirens, and i thought it was somewhere else.....and when i was in line for Viper a little later around 3:15 i was watching Raging bull and i was wondering why it had stopped.....i was sooo mad....i've only seen raging bull stop once since it forst opened....and the girl technically didnt die on Raging Bull....she was announced dead on the way to the hospital...i think....so as far as i know it isnt a death in the park... :?
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby coastrcorey on May 5th, 2003, 7:22 pm
Yeah, I've heard that she actually didn't die in the park too...
coastrcorey

Postby Chitown on May 5th, 2003, 9:44 pm
No, she did pass away in the park but they cant officially pronounce someone dead until they reach a medical center or a coroner.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby chiatrain on May 6th, 2003, 10:31 am
This was from Fox Chicago in this morning's broadcast. Six Flags announced that they will be posting signs "No gum, no candy" or something of that nature outside of the ride queues.
chiatrain

Postby chiatrain on May 6th, 2003, 11:27 am
An update from Fox Chicago's noon show. SFGAm is planning to post the "clearer" warning signs before the park opens again this Friday, perhaps for the B96 Private party. Park officials are saying that they already have a "no food, no drink" policy in place, but these warning signs will be in place.
chiatrain

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 6th, 2003, 12:44 pm
Im not sure if these signs will do any good. It was a freak accident, thats all. I can't see the ride operators going around and making everyone say AHHH! just so they can look in there mouth for gum. Gum is any easy thing to forget you have in your mouth, and im almost sure ive rode a rollercoaster in the past with it in my mouth. If I remember it though, I usually just swallow it at the top of the lift.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum