Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Going to be a cool and rainy opening.

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby goldmember on April 27th, 2003, 6:30 pm
You guys should just wait until 1-2 days before may 3rd. there is no way that the weather reports are going to be reliable a week bfore hand. The weathermen usually cant get it right when its only 1 day before or even the on the day that they are talking about. Dont be too worried yet.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 27th, 2003, 6:41 pm
Opening day better be a nice one. If it rains real bad my dad won't take me. If only I could drive... :evil: I so hope it will be a good day.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby coasterzak on April 27th, 2003, 7:41 pm
I like when it rains though, the lines are way way short, espcecially on opening day. But I don't think it'll be that crowded anyways.
coasterzak

Postby SFGAMkid on April 27th, 2003, 8:12 pm
I have been to GA so many times when it has rained.The only time all attractions/coasters will close is when there is lighting and/or it is pouring down rain. Depending on how long it lasts depends if they close the park. If it rains less than 20-30 min., and conditions are better, then they will usually reopen the rides. If conditions are still questionable after any inclimate weather has let up, they most likely will close the park.However, the bad thing after hard rain is sometimes, some rides become unable to operate. Take V2 for example. I was there one time last year where it poured for like 10 min. and then stopped. They opened a; rides back up besides V2. When I asked if it was going to be open again, the said probably not because the breaks can't work if they are wet. So get in what you want to ride right away if it does rain, or chances are above 65%
SFGAMkid

Postby CoasterMan629 on April 27th, 2003, 8:22 pm
And I quote from the park map: " ... rides may be closed for a time if there is lightning in the area, high winds or moderate or heavy rain fall. They will reopen as soon as we can assure safe operation...". It all has to do with lightning and wind and rain. :wink:
It's not how high or how fast you build the roller coaster it's how smooth you build it!
CoasterMan629

Postby coastrcorey on April 27th, 2003, 9:12 pm
They would actually close the whole park? I've never heard of that, but I suppose it's possible.
coastrcorey

Postby CoasterDude04 on April 27th, 2003, 9:53 pm
SFGAMkid wrote:I Take V2 for example. I was there one time last year where it poured for like 10 min. and then stopped. They opened a; rides back up besides V2. When I asked if it was going to be open again, the said probably not because the breaks can't work if they are wet.
Aren't the brakes the LIMS? I ask this because I was once in line for V2 when it started to pour, they closed it down and 10 minutes later there was a light drizzle and they opened up the ride again and we got on really quick.I know for a fact the "brakes" on the back spikes are LIMS, but the brakes on the launch pad are covered by a roof, which means they shouldn't get wet. And the brakes are below the track also. I've ridden regular coasters in the rain with regular breaks and they keep the ride open. Why would V2's brakes be any different?
"4 seats are better than 2"- CoasterDude04
CoasterDude04

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on April 27th, 2003, 10:22 pm
yea....i was there once when they closed the park....but it was kinda 1 hour from closing time and they just decided to close the park...it was raining on and off that day.....
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on April 27th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Yeah i remember that. That day wasnt all that fun just because of the on and off rain.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby coasterzak on April 28th, 2003, 8:28 pm
CoasterDude, but wouldn't the whole train and apparatus be wet, and thuse upon entering the building not matter if the brakes are wet or not becase the entering train is covered in water?
coasterzak

Postby greatamerica2003 on April 29th, 2003, 3:56 pm
The majority of the flat rides operate in almost any weather. Coasters are another story. Here's a general rule taken right from the books:(Insert name) can operate with 1 or 2 trains in light rain.(Insert name) is a High Profile ride that will cease operation when the sight of a lightning "bolt" and the sound of the thunder is ten seconds or less)High profile rides include all the coasters, Sky Trek Tower, Giant Drop, Trailblazer, Flumes and Splashwater Falls.Some ride like have more weather guidelines. Eagle can not operate with westerly winds in excess of 55 mph. There are some more but I can't remember all of them.The coasters and other rides are run a few cycles to dry the brakes and brake fins. V2 has to completley dry off because of the complex electronics that could come in contact with water. Thats why it stays down for a long time after rain.Oh, and its supposed to be Partly Cloudy and a high of 60 on Saturday. Enjoy it.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby coastrcorey on April 29th, 2003, 4:29 pm
Yeah, as of now, it sounds like the weather is going to be great :).
coastrcorey

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 29th, 2003, 4:37 pm
Yeah I saw the weather for Saturday last night. Hopefully it won't change... if it does change I hope the temperature just increases.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby joker on April 29th, 2003, 4:44 pm
I really want to go, but there is no way I can get up there :(
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby Aero737 on May 2nd, 2003, 4:48 pm
Well, the rainy part of the day may be incorrect but the cold part isnt! Frost advisory tonight-which means temps at about 6AM will be around 32 degreese. I would dress warmly because the temps will be struggling to make it to 60 b/c of the cold lake breeze. So I guess if we are meeting up-look for everyone in their cold weather clothes. :)
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby joker on May 2nd, 2003, 4:51 pm
May 3rd - - 0% chance of rain! Looks good for you!!! Never chance the weather a week or 3-5+ days before hand. ;)
joker

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 2nd, 2003, 6:07 pm
Alright, now after watching how it changed this week I wonder why they even post a 10 day forecast in the first place. Its pointless.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby joker on May 2nd, 2003, 6:40 pm
Yup, weather is always wrong...even with the tech. that they have these days they dont know for sure, and everyone has diff. P.O.V...
joker

Postby Aero737 on May 3rd, 2003, 6:55 am
hey hey hey, take it easy on the weather men. They got close-The system will be comming through tommrow. When you forecast something 1 week ahead and come withing 36 hours of the event, thats pretty good. But you guys should try forecasting weather. It isnt easy.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum