Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

ALL NEW FOR 2024! Sky Striker

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby HCF on August 30th, 2023, 7:13 pm
Prepare to achieve new altitudes on Sky Striker, a high-flying, soaring adventure. Sky Striker will send you into the clouds as you swing back and forth on its massive pendulum, creating the ultimate stomach-drop feeling as you touch the sky.

Hold on tight as Sky Striker takes you 172 feet into the air, swinging through the sky at speeds of up to 75 miles per hour. Take in unique views of Six Flags Great America as you soar along 130-degree swings of the towering pendulum, nearly going upside down.

As you swing through the clouds you will also spin, adding even another dimension to this maximum-thrills experience. This first-of-its-kind ride for the park creates a freefall sensation like no other. As Sky Striker lowers you back down to earth, you’ll already be raring to go on your next journey through the sky.
Attachments
SFGM-29365-2024-Sky-Striker-New-Ride-Key-Art-V1-2-min-2048x1351.jpg
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2023, 8:30 pm
So is the ride 172 feet tall, or is it < 172 and with the greater than 180 swing arc you reach 172 feet?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Coaster Justin on August 30th, 2023, 9:20 pm
I want to ride this at least 20x next year. I love Giant Discoveries
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on August 30th, 2023, 10:50 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:So is the ride 172 feet tall, or is it < 172 and with the greater than 180 swing arc you reach 172 feet?

It's swings up to 172ft in the air at full swing! So excited for this. Love the colors, the logo, & the original name. This is going to look fantastic where it's going & due to its location, I'm def (hoping) thinking Revolution is out. It just wouldn't make any sense. Really hoping it has its own entrance & sign & they don't reuse the AE & DDD building. That thing is so old. It would be amazing if they did an amazing arch for the new ride & AE like AE iused to have. I miss that entrance.
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on September 1st, 2023, 8:58 pm
gottastrata33 wrote: Really hoping it has its own entrance & sign & they don't reuse the AE & DDD building. That thing is so old. It would be amazing if they did an amazing arch for the new ride & AE like AE iused to have. I miss that entrance.

It would be cool if they put the entrance for Sky Striker here and ran the queue line under X-Flight.
staticshadows

Postby Goku1910 on September 3rd, 2023, 12:11 pm
as much as I agree with you, I think its safe to say it's going to re-use Dive's.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on September 4th, 2023, 1:44 am
Goku1910 wrote:as much as I agree with you, I think its safe to say it's going to re-use Dive's.

I'm hopeful they make a whole new entrance. They gotta tear out the current AE/DDD Entrance. It's old. Still can't believe to this day they got rid of AE's old arch. That's what they need to rebuild but LOL yeah right.

IMG_9573.jpg
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on January 12th, 2024, 8:13 pm
Overall I am a big fan of the upcoming addition of Sky Striker. I am thrilled they did not just slap DC on it, and the colors match well with County Fair. It will look great at night with the light package.

What I am looking forward to most is finding out what program it is going to run. I have been on two Zamperla Discoveries, Wonder Woman at SFDK (Giant Discovery) and CraZanity at SFMM (Giga Discovery). You would think bigger is better, but I actually preferred Wonder Woman by a wide margin, and it comes down to the program. I actually met a CraZanity fanatic while at SFMM, and she kept talking about how "they ruined CraZanity" when they changed the program. Obviously it is still a great ride, and Sky Striker will be good no matter what. But the program it will run will separate it from being a great ride or a fantastic ride.
Sucker for a launch, custom audio and Viper | Coaster Count: 507
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Goku1910 on January 18th, 2024, 1:14 pm
Dan The Coaster Man wrote: You would think bigger is better, but I actually preferred Wonder Woman by a wide margin, and it comes down to the program. I actually met a CraZanity fanatic while at SFMM, and she kept talking about how "they ruined CraZanity" when they changed the program. Obviously it is still a great ride, and Sky Striker will be good no matter what. But the program it will run will separate it from being a great ride or a fantastic ride.

Can you give any specifics about this? I've only been on two Discoveries which are MaxAir and Delirium. Both are which I believe are not giga's. Do they not spin enough, too much? etc?

From my experience on Delirium, I don't like how you're on the same side of the swing every time, so if you're on the outside of the swing near horizontal, you're there every time. I really hope this isn't the case for Sky Striker because I'd like a mix of being towards the ground feeling air time too.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on January 19th, 2024, 1:49 am
MaxAir & Delirium are Huss if I'm not mistaken to where the newer six flags pendulums are Zamperla.

I've been on Crazanity at SF Mexico & SFMM, Joker (SFFT), & Pandemonium at SFOG. I'm not quite sure I've been on the others or not but I can't quite say which one I like better, Huss or Zamperla. Can't recall there being that major of difference. But I do know I'm very happy with this addition. It's been a long time coming. Was really hoping we were going to get two flats this year, the other being the Skyscreamer cause of the #TakeToTheSkies being plural but this addition is too good & I'm thrilled about it. Especially knowing they knocked down that awful AE & DDD entrance. Hoping for a real cute new portal to the area.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 20th, 2024, 11:54 am
I've been on Max Air, Delirium and Riddler's Revenge. They all seemed about the same to me.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on January 21st, 2024, 5:49 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
Dan The Coaster Man wrote: You would think bigger is better, but I actually preferred Wonder Woman by a wide margin, and it comes down to the program. I actually met a CraZanity fanatic while at SFMM, and she kept talking about how "they ruined CraZanity" when they changed the program. Obviously it is still a great ride, and Sky Striker will be good no matter what. But the program it will run will separate it from being a great ride or a fantastic ride.

Can you give any specifics about this? I've only been on two Discoveries which are MaxAir and Delirium. Both are which I believe are not giga's. Do they not spin enough, too much? etc?

I am not entirely confident what each ride specifically did, but I believe Wonder Woman spun the same direction the whole ride at a decent clip, while CraZanty spun slower in both directions. Like it started clockwise or counter clockwise and then halfway through the ride it started spinning the other way. CraZanity felt more graceful, while Wonder Woman felt more extreme. While I found CraZanity a little more tame, you definitely feel the size and speed with the wind in your face, in that regard it feels crazier than Wonder Woman. But I found the extra spinning more enjoyable on Wonder Woman
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby FParker185 on January 23rd, 2024, 9:44 pm
It all comes down to the program that the ride is running, all the giant pendulums from all the manufacturers are capable of about the same speeds, both swinging and spinning. Judging by how SFGAm tradationally operates their flats I'll guess Sky Striker will run good but not great with an average program length. Even after it opens, it's pretty easy to change it up according to guest feedback they receive.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on February 10th, 2024, 12:08 pm
Yes, it should be relatively simple to change the program at any time. Maybe FF gets a different cycle or something.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Goku1910 on February 10th, 2024, 3:20 pm
NBC has a new Article on Sky Striker

.....It's mostly a nothing burger, just says that unseasonably warm weather has allowed for quick construction. No pictures, no video.
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on February 11th, 2024, 6:41 am
Stating Sky Striker will be introduced with the park opening. That would be a first in a while. Since when, Superman? Idk if it's been that long but it seems right. Someone tell me otherwise, my brain can't think of something else more recent than SUF opened when the park opened for the season
gottastrata33

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on February 13th, 2024, 4:56 pm
Glad to hear that, but of course I can't go opening day this year. :roll: I wonder (but doubt) if they would do any early access for passholders/members if it did open on opening day, like for a couple hours on that Friday. Kinda like what Cedar Point is doing with TT2 for previews.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on February 14th, 2024, 3:24 am
I've done a couple commercials & media days so look into those opportunities as they always happen before the ride opens officially. It's a great way to get as many rides in as you ever will & meet so many people.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterDave316 on February 16th, 2024, 7:16 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Stating Sky Striker will be introduced with the park opening. That would be a first in a while. Since when, Superman? Idk if it's been that long but it seems right. Someone tell me otherwise, my brain can't think of something else more recent than SUF opened when the park opened for the season

Actually I'm pretty sure Revolution was the last ride to open on Opening Day 2004. With Mardi Gras opening a few weeks later.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Goku1910 on February 17th, 2024, 7:05 pm
Update on Instagram. Based on progress, opening weekend is possible?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3a1mTXOLCN ... _copy_link
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on February 17th, 2024, 7:06 pm
Update on Instagram. No idea if ride parts are on-site.

Think they'll make opening weekend? I personally doubt it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3a1mTXOLCN ... _copy_link
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on February 18th, 2024, 2:25 am
I think they're gonna do it.
gottastrata33

Postby Goku1910 on February 18th, 2024, 12:51 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I think they're gonna do it.

I thought maybe the footer placement would help us tell the direction it would face but I honestly cannot tell. I know someone originally mocked it up facing northwest/southeast so that it would swing over X-Flight's maintenance shed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Looks like it's going to be swinging over the service road and the food place that I forget the name of because it's changed so many times. If I'm wrong and it's the opposite, it'd be going over the road in a different spot and Eagle's Queue.
Goku1910

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on February 19th, 2024, 4:30 pm
I had never thought about which way it will actually swing. I always thought it would be over the service road and the cheesecake place, but now that you brought it up, I had never actually given any reason to WHY I think it would swing that direction. I can't tell from the footers/concrete.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby gottastrata33 on February 19th, 2024, 11:38 pm
I'm pretty sure it will go the same directions as DDD did. Towards Revolution & AE's helix which at its highest point towards AE, will give amazing views of the entire park, upside down.
gottastrata33

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum