Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

ALL NEW FOR 2024! Sky Striker

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterfanatic on April 12th, 2024, 3:35 pm
The parts have arrived according to their Facebook page.

As previously stated, the ride will swing towards X Flight and not the midway.

It won’t be ready by Opening Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on April 12th, 2024, 7:46 pm
Well, at least the parts are on-site. I'm shocked at how long it took though. Unless SF is paying the builders extra to work around the clock (which everybody knows they will never pay extra at least until CF gets involved) I predict an early-to-mid-May opening. Maybe Memorial Day Weekend with the ride being American-themed and all?
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby ernstwhere on April 13th, 2024, 6:55 am
There's a new post on Instagram 4/12, columns for SS are staged on the build site with one crane visible in the background (to move columns?). The only Village open building permits listed online are restaurant, bathroom and front gate renovation. IG post mentions new blacktop (ugh, that gets awful in the heat) and a pic of the entire games gallery area ready for resurfacing, the revy site is done. A new (?) structure is near the ride op booth or whatever that building was spared from the demolition. I'm unsure how permitting works in the Village but more seems to be going on than issued.
ernstwhere

Postby ernstwhere on April 13th, 2024, 7:09 am
I watched an opening day vlog from St. Louis. The site for new ride doesn't look prepared at all. Seems the swinging boat flat was relocated to make room. it's open and renamed Buccaneer.
ernstwhere

Postby Sven18 on April 13th, 2024, 10:11 am
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:Well, at least the parts are on-site. I'm shocked at how long it took though. Unless SF is paying the builders extra to work around the clock (which everybody knows they will never pay extra at least until CF gets involved) I predict an early-to-mid-May opening. Maybe Memorial Day Weekend with the ride being American-themed and all?

CF just starts projects early, they don't have to pay extra to rush projects at the last minute. The lack of planning & prep is a chain wide SF Corporate mindset. You can go thru rides/coasters at all parks & they never open with the park, you're lucky if stuff opens by July 1st.

Case in point, SFGAdv new coaster is barely started, it will be lucky to open before the end of the main season in August. Meanwhile Dorney's new coaster is completely done with track work, they are starting testing and finishing theming. It will be ready for pre season preview on April 27th. In comparison. Dr. Diabolical at SFFT didn't open till July 30th , a similar sized coaster at Dorney will be ready opening day & they have northern winter to deal with.
Sven18

Postby ernstwhere on April 13th, 2024, 10:26 am
Thanks. That explains the lack of permit for SS. After watching the Crazanity vid its clear that little crane on site at Great America is just moving parts around. Colinwood studios youtube channel is posting almost every day with GrAdv coaster progress. The glamping tents are well underway and the new tribute brick walkway is mostly complete. Great Adventure rebranded as a RESORT. Interesting development. Any thoughts about that Sven? I always appreciate your comments here.
ernstwhere

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 13th, 2024, 1:09 pm
SF's historical thought process was something like "people are going to come to the park anyways when it opens. Let's open our new ride a month or two into the season so that the people that have already came this year have a reason to come back this season! More ticket sales!"

It's hard to say if that is still the case. In my opinion, they have been playing catch-up recently rather than practicing their thought process I outlined above. Selim came into the company and was like "we don't need new rides - we have plenty. We won't be adding any". When he realized this was an awful idea after a few months, he started scrambling to add new rides in ASAP. But adding new rides and coasters takes so long, and since SF was stubborn and didn't want to add rides for awhile, they have just been playing catchup ever since.

For the case of SFGAd and SFOG new coasters, these coasters were in other countries across the world just a couple months ago. They were not originally contracted for SF. It should be no shock they are nowhere near complete - SF was late to the game and they are just scrambling to open new attractions ASAP. The typical bidding, planning, etc. stages of adding a new ride/coaster have been thrown out the window.

That's why I was a little excited for SF come 25/26, by those years they would have had adequate time to invest in attractions properly. But we may not find out with the merger. We will see.
Sucker for a launch, custom audio and Viper | Coaster Count: 507
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Sven18 on April 13th, 2024, 2:05 pm
ernstwhere wrote:Thanks. That explains the lack of permit for SS. After watching the Crazanity vid its clear that little crane on site at Great America is just moving parts around. Colinwood studios youtube channel is posting almost every day with GrAdv coaster progress. The glamping tents are well underway and the new tribute brick walkway is mostly complete. Great Adventure rebranded as a RESORT. Interesting development. Any thoughts about that Sven? I always appreciate your comments here.

The GAdv glamping is severely overpriced and will only be used by few, until they lower the price. They are pricing this as if they are Universal or Disney, SF is not!.
A mid week stay in July: it requires minimum 2 night stay(add another $100 per night for weekends)
$599 per night couples suite(includes tickets, breakfast, giraffe feeding)
$799 per night couples suite with safari view
$999 per night for family suite
$1099 per night family suite with safari view
Sven18

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on April 13th, 2024, 5:28 pm
Sven18 wrote:
ernstwhere wrote:Thanks. That explains the lack of permit for SS. After watching the Crazanity vid its clear that little crane on site at Great America is just moving parts around. Colinwood studios youtube channel is posting almost every day with GrAdv coaster progress. The glamping tents are well underway and the new tribute brick walkway is mostly complete. Great Adventure rebranded as a RESORT. Interesting development. Any thoughts about that Sven? I always appreciate your comments here.

The GAdv glamping is severely overpriced and will only be used by few, until they lower the price. They are pricing this as if they are Universal or Disney, SF is not!.
A mid week stay in July: it requires minimum 2 night stay(add another $100 per night for weekends)
$599 per night couples suite(includes tickets, breakfast, giraffe feeding)
$799 per night couples suite with safari view
$999 per night for family suite
$1099 per night family suite with safari view

I bet these high prices are the result of Selim still thinking that SF is Disney/Universal level. The highest option is also more expensive than a two nice trip in the middle of the week in July to Grand Floridian which is the most expensive hotel at WDW.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby ernstwhere on April 14th, 2024, 10:27 am
Great Adventure Glamping = Galactic Starcruiser !! :lol: As an overpriced *experience* concept.

Great Adventure was my home park for years. It has all the elements to be a resort property: multiple gates, tons of land and it's far enough from NYC and other population centers to justify an overnight stay, not to mention the amount of wealth concentrated in NYC tri-state (believe me, I lived in Manhattan for 20 years). I thought the glamping concept was kinda brilliant, as an overnight option on property without the cost of building/operating a hotel. The glamping rates are clearly insane (or conceived on the level of an animal expereince like swimming with dolphins which I have not done). I'm just wondering what people think of SF entering CF's lane, i.e. The Breakers Hotel or Kings Islands camping/RV park, etc. It looks like Canada's Wonderland is going that way too.
ernstwhere

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 14th, 2024, 10:45 am
I had no idea that was the pricing. That is horrendous :lol:
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on April 15th, 2024, 1:42 am
This whole hotel fiasco reminded me of the time when KeyLime Cove marketed themselves as the hotel counterpart to SFGAm and the two generally seemed to be on good terms with each other. If I'm being honest though, I haven't heard about much communication between the two since Great Wolf Lodge took over. Any idea why this might be? I would assume that KeyLime Cove wasn't as big as GWL so it needed a bigger company to attach to so they would be noticed. Since GWL is big enough on their own, is that why the partnership was kind of terminated?
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on April 24th, 2024, 9:39 pm
As reported on by many others, including wheelgap on YouTube, Sky Striker's lights have been attached to the four columns.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 26th, 2024, 12:55 pm
The light packages on these things are pretty cool - definitely looking forward to that.
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Goku1910 on April 26th, 2024, 2:16 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:As reported on by many others, including wheelgap on YouTube, Sky Striker's lights have been attached to the four columns.

Yep, this was visible on opening weekend.

Great America post a small extended animation for a new announcement coming. Guess they'll be revealing the opening date soon.

https://x.com/SFGreat_America/status/17 ... 69695?s=09
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on April 26th, 2024, 8:17 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:As reported on by many others, including wheelgap on YouTube, Sky Striker's lights have been attached to the four columns.

Yep, this was visible on opening weekend.

Great America post a small extended animation for a new announcement coming. Guess they'll be revealing the opening date soon.

https://x.com/SFGreat_America/status/17 ... 69695?s=09

As soon as they announce the Opening Date, I will make plans.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2024, 11:32 am
At the park today and currently from X-Flight the only changes is the collapsible floor platform has arrived and the crane has moved.

Spotted more after X-Flight. Bunch of smaller parts and the Sky Striker Sign that goes on top are on the road.
Goku1910

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 28th, 2024, 11:06 am
The collapsible floor platform was on site last weekend.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Goku1910 on April 28th, 2024, 7:26 pm
ah, guess I didn't see it. I also spotted the sign that goes on top of the towers to right right of X-Flight and it can be seen from the brake run.

The only thing special about the crane moving is that it's braced as well so it's ready to go. I would keep an eye on Gurnee's site this week for a permit (if it requires one?)
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum