Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Fright Fest 2017

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on September 16th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Really like it. It still amazes me how clever and funny most of them are.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Viper 88 on September 17th, 2017, 9:41 am
God Fright Fest was terrible! First off They didn't really theme a lot of the rides Rue Le Dodge was just Rue Le Dodge not Rue Le Morgue, It seems like there could have been way more decorations. There was no reason King Chaos couldn't have been running, yes they are taking it out but until then it was perfectly good and they could have done a no mercy extreme program. Viper is still running backwards it was so smooth that way! Even at $35.00 they are over charging you for houses! Let alone the poor people that spent $50.00 on the express!! My big problem those food and drink lines. We spent a good majority of the day waiting for drink refills and our lunch. They were closing practically everything in Yukon territory and Yankee Harbor there was no place to get a drink around 8:15. Another big problem NO TRAIN! You really need the train it disperses people better plus gets you off your feet and into a little shade. The Ringmasters Cabaret wasn't bad singing a touch cringe worthy but thats their damned sound system. Love At First Fright no mercy showing very good believe them when they say R rating dropped several f bombs several people got up and left but they were warned several times. Best scare actors in Carousel Plaza, Best House Big Top, Longest Gates of Hell, Biggest disappointment in houses Massacre Medical Center dropped in quality. Do they get more decorations and actors through Fright Fest or is whats there there? I usually only go the first weekend because, fall usually isn't great for my asthma the colder it gets the worse off I generally am so I've never experienced it like week 3 or 4.
Viper 88

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 17th, 2017, 9:56 am
I was very disappointed because the rides weren't named their fright fest names (Fiddlers Flung, Pendulum etc). The actors weren't scaring anyone except the clowns were going crazy with those horns. The new scare zone is very cool with the theming, but not very scary. Hopefully they'll get more theming in next week.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby BCarroll on September 17th, 2017, 10:18 am
"Biggest and Scariest Fright Fest ever!" hahaha what a joke. Im hoping that it was just because it was the first week, but man Fright Fest was lame. There was little theming and not a lot of scare actors out, and when they were they did not do a very good job. I It seems FF has been declining in quality every year. Ride lines were not bad, but food lines were atrocious. I wish I could go back to '07 and experience the best Fright Fests again.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Jodon on September 17th, 2017, 10:26 am
When did SFGAm take over all the theming and execution of Fright Fest?

Also, I hate all the "corporate puffery" that SFGAm uses..."Worlds Cleanest Theme Park" "Worlds Best Water Park" "Biggest and Scariest Fright Fest Ever"...To me those kinds of statements only have the possibility to overpromise and underdeliver...which might actually be Six Flag's corporate strategy.
Jodon

Postby CoasterNick3157 on September 17th, 2017, 10:37 am
also fyi on Columbus day no scraeactors and noooo haunted attractions that day
CoasterNick3157

Postby hook13 on September 17th, 2017, 10:42 am
agree with the above, seemed to be down on actors and decorations/etc. food lines were a mess, barely moved (park didn't seem THAT busy) even picking up season drink cups was a disaster (more than the usual). on the plus, ring master's cabaret was good, live singing and much better than last year's outdoor show. and LAFF was great as usual, did last show.
hook13

Postby RollingCoasting on September 17th, 2017, 3:23 pm
Just did TT2 for the first time and it was really cool. Definitely worth the hype. Only complaint is that me and my sister got in a teacup and then the attendant made 2 11-12 year old boys ride with us so another group could ride in that particular cycle. I thought that was BS since

1. Every other group of 2 wasn't forced to let someone join their party
2. Why couldn't the other group just wait an extra cycle, or be paired with the group of boys themselves.

/rant. I'd recommend finding a cup far away from the attendant if you don't want anybody riding with you
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 18th, 2017, 11:43 am
I totally agree with the comments about food lines. Also getting into parking lot was a disaster and those parking lot attendants (people directing traffic) were a bit on the rude side.

Also, my 7yo got frightened by one of the actors so I turned on my phone flashlight to guide our way. (others were doing that as well). Some security person told me to turn it off to which I replied 2x "My daugther is frightened. I'm gonna leave my light on"

I'm probably in the vast minority here but I really don't like Fright Fest. I like going on the rides!! The creepers just slow me down and get in my way.

I think a better alternative would be to have all the haunted houses and creepers be setup in Hurricane Harbor! Why not use that space JUST for the scaring and leave the main park as it normally is??

Again, I realize this is probably not a popular idea but I think they should consider it.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby sfgam1 on September 18th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Can I just remind you all that Fright Fest started much early than normal. And looking back at previous years, we all know that the first weekend of Fright Fest is never the best time to go if you're looking for all of the decorations; things are typically added as time goes on. Just be happy that Fright Fest exists and that they keep adding new stuff. Relax.
sfgam1

Postby CoasterCale on September 19th, 2017, 11:55 am
I totally agree with the statements above about it being early in the season. Also if you don't like FF, don't show up. Or leave before six. I mean that is when All Hell Breaks Loose! Security is just looking out for the scare actors because the GP likes to mess with them and cause trouble. the most common thing is blinding with the camera light, sooo...yeah.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm
^ I understand the need for safety. Safety FIRST above all else. But the park can't tell people, let alone enforce a rule about people using their small camera lights to guide their way! It's not like I had a fog light from a Navy ship I was toting around :) I wasn't blinding anyone with the phone light but lighting our way.

Now, if I had the phone out on a ride, that's totally different and unsafe. I NEVER do that.

As for Fright Fest, other parks do a Harvest Fest where it's more about the season and not just about Halloween. Yes I realize I'm in the minority here. But at the end of the day, Six Flags Great America is an amusement park with rides! It's not a giant haunted house. We (my daughter and I) go there for the rides.

I still like my idea of utilizing Hurricane Harbor to have all the haunted houses and creepers. That might even allow more people into the park since it's utilizing an otherwise unused space.

I would love to hear some feedback from other parents with small kids!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby UnclePennybags on September 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm
I went Saturday, Sept 16. In the morning, I didn't think the crowds were too bad. Ride lines weren't bad. The Food Court lines weren't bad at 11:30 AM. Dinner was a whole different story.

I went to JB's at 3:30 PM to see if it was busy. It was packed. It was taking them 20 minutes to deliver food after some people had waited 15 minutes to place their orders. It took 20 minutes to get a drink from the bar. There was a long line of people at the end of the bar trying to get their sports bottles refilled. My impression was that the workers weren't sloughing off, but they were clearly overwhelmed. There just weren't enough people to handle the crowd at this time of day.

By 4:20 PM, JB's had cleared out enough that my brother was able to get a table while I stood in line for dinner. For some reason, the line didn't advance until 4:30 PM, then I had another 10 minute wait after that to place my order. Fortunately, it only took 5 minutes to get my food.

On a side note, the Ringmaster's Cabaret was definitely worth seeing. I thought the sound system in the theater detracted from the show, but I'll go again if I return to the park this year.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterCale on September 20th, 2017, 11:50 am
The park has experimented with using Harbor during FF. Both seasons it didn't work out.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby hook13 on September 20th, 2017, 8:00 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^

I still like my idea of utilizing Hurricane Harbor to have all the haunted houses and creepers. That might even allow more people into the park since it's utilizing an otherwise unused space.

I would love to hear some feedback from other parents with small kids!

I had 3 small kids with me sat the 16th. We made arrangements to have them out of the park with another parent before 5:45PM and before dark. I always see lots of kids, even a bit older, crying and scared...I think the park does an excellent job of warning parents to have their kids out by 6 (I think they recommend 12 and up). Just my opinion, but I think that's good advice- I love FF, and it's only a few weekends out of the year....I think as a parent you plan accordingly (I also saw many with phone camera lights, ruins experience for others and should be banned, again my opinion only!) Lots of non FF weekends for fun, even more this year with the extension into November. I look forward to my kids being old enough to stay late, but it's certainly not geared towards young children after 5:45 PM, and I'm definitely OK with that as a parent. It was so hot they could have left HH open last Saturday!
hook13

Postby ilrider on September 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm
Sorry if already discussed, but where the heck is Tiny this year? She is the icon of Fright Frest (moreso than Larry the gorilla)!
ilrider

Postby great america fan on September 20th, 2017, 9:15 pm
hook13 wrote: (I think they recommend 12 and up). Just my opinion, but I think that's good advice- I love FF, and it's only a few weekends out of the year....I think as a parent you plan accordingly (I also saw many with phone camera lights, ruins experience for others and should be banned, again my opinion only!) Lots of non FF weekends for fun, even more this year with the extension into November. I look forward to my kids being old enough to stay late, but it's certainly not geared towards young children after 5:45 PM!

I agree with you that they do warn you well about not having young kids at the park after six BUT. I think banning a parent who is trying to comfort a child who is terrified by illuminating a path to the exit should be banned is ridicules. I can tell you from when my parents would take me to fright fest when I was a young kid that we would be leaving at 6:15 and run into some scare actor who would scare the sh!t out of me to the point where I would cry. I personally believe that The Park should tell the scare actors to not scare kids below the age of 10 or so between six and seven o'clock . Of course that's just my opinion.
great america fan

Postby hook13 on September 20th, 2017, 9:54 pm
I agree with you, lights I saw were teens, well after dark..in scare zones....not parents with kids headed to door... My opinion, 6FGAM does a nice job of warning parents, multiple times, and letting even first time patrons know what to expect after 6pm.
hook13

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 21st, 2017, 8:51 am
^ Instead of having Fright Fest in Hurricane Harbor, here's another idea:

Ditch the scare actors in the midways! Those people can be redeployed in the food service! They can still keep the haunted attractions that cost extra. That way more people might even pay to go into them to get their "fright fix" since no creepers will be roaming the midways! They could also create additional haunted attractions with those folks that had been in the midways.

This would seem to be a great compromise and could actually increase revenue! Plus it will reduce some of the congestion in the midways hopefully.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on September 22nd, 2017, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on September 21st, 2017, 9:04 am
ilrider wrote:Sorry if already discussed, but where the heck is Tiny this year? She is the icon of Fright Frest (moreso than Larry the gorilla)!

(I'm not 100% sure on this, so don't quote me), I think it has to do with the fact that the trees in front of Eagl's helix have grown so tall that putting Tiny up would either make her hard to see, or have too big a chance of having her pop.

Believe me, I'm saddened as well, but if those are the reasons for not putting her up, I completely understand.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby ilrider on September 21st, 2017, 3:04 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:
ilrider wrote:Sorry if already discussed, but where the heck is Tiny this year? She is the icon of Fright Frest (moreso than Larry the gorilla)!

(I'm not 100% sure on this, so don't quote me), I think it has to do with the fact that the trees in front of Eagl's helix have grown so tall that putting Tiny up would either make her hard to see, or have too big a chance of having her pop.

Believe me, I'm saddened as well, but if those are the reasons for not putting her up, I completely understand.

So glad you said that, because when driving past it last night, the tall trees blocking the view of Eagle were my exact theory too. Makes sense. Thanks.
ilrider

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 21st, 2017, 8:31 pm
How much taller are they this year compared to last?
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby ilrider on September 23rd, 2017, 9:31 pm
Lake McHenry Scanner page on FB is reporting 4 battery victims at the park tonight. Anyone know what is going on?
ilrider

Postby Tardis1972 on September 24th, 2017, 10:17 am
^ So that's why I saw a police car and ambulance speeding down the service road by X-Flight.

So I visted the park yesterday and overall had an amazing day. Managed to get on almost every coaster at least twice and for the most of the day lines were nonexistent. I even got on the last train of the night on SUF.
Tardis1972

Postby RobSFGAm on September 24th, 2017, 7:55 pm
I tiny does not fit on the helix anymore, then why not put them on the Am Eagle lift hill. Nothing is the way there. Would look different too since you could see it from inside the park.
RobSFGAm

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum