Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

If we ever got a resort...

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 14th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Back in the good 'ol days of 1998, Six Flags had the opportunity of developing the land across I-94 into the Six Flags Entertainment Village, which included shops, entertainment, a waterpark, a hotel, employee housing, a 12,000 seat area/event center, a conference center, and much more. The plan fell through for a multitude of reasons(mainly SF not wanting to improve a few bits of infrastructure...), and it became a business park, whilst Hurricane Harbor became what was once parking lot.

But what if Six Flags decided that they do want a resort here after all? What if Six Flags wants us to become a destination park? What kind of resort would you want? Would you want a waterpark there? Would you want it themed? To what? Post your ideas here!

In my opinion, I'd want to see a hotel with themes reflecting the park's original 6(maybe 7) The main lobby and other services would be Carousel Plaza, boasting a replica of the Carousel in the center with a fountain, with park memorabilia around the walls/room. The main restaurant would be called the Great America Taphouse and Eatery, and would include dishes themed to all the themed areas(homestyle for Hometown, Cajun for Orleans, Fish/seafood for Yankee, burgers and breakfast for Yukon, classic American for County Fair). There would be 4 main room wings- Hometown, with 20s, 30s, 40s themed rooms with lots of subtle charm. Orleans, themed to, well, New Orleans. Lots of wrought-iron designs, French Colonial architecture, etc. Yankee, themed to the American Waterfront. Coastal themes, with lighthouses, boats, etc. If not Yankee, Southwest Territory, themed to it's name. Deserts, ranches, Mexo-american architecture, etc. You'll see why I did this in a bit. Finally, Yukon, themed to wooded forests. Log-based furniture, totem poles, moose, elk, snow gear, etc. County Fair would be the entertainment area(arcade, lazer tag, etc.). Who would want to sleep in a farm-based room? I'd like to see a both indoor and outdoor waterpark(akin to Kalahari at WD) themed to either Southwest Territory(remember, Marriott wanted a Southwest area), or Yankee Harbor. Whatever one isn't the waterpark becomes rooms(as I said earlier). A southwest waterpark would include little theming, but quite a few slides and attractions. A Yankee Harbor waterpark would include loads of water and coastal theming, but less slides. Hurricane Harbor can **** off and become park expansion. I would put the resort either where the business park is, or a bit closer to Gurnee Mills.

That's just my wish. All of this is disregarding Keylime Cove, btw. :P What would you like to see?

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby stergmi on May 15th, 2016, 9:36 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Back in the good 'ol days of 1998, Six Flags had the opportunity of developing the land across I-94 into the Six Flags Entertainment Village, which included shops, entertainment, a waterpark, a hotel, employee housing, a 12,000 seat area/event center, a conference center, and much more. The plan fell through for a multitude of reasons(mainly SF not wanting to improve a few bits of infrastructure...), and it became a business park, whilst Hurricane Harbor became what was once parking lot.

But what if Six Flags decided that they do want a resort here after all? What if Six Flags wants us to become a destination park? What kind of resort would you want? Would you want a waterpark there? Would you want it themed? To what? Post your ideas here!

In my opinion, I'd want to see a hotel with themes reflecting the park's original 6(maybe 7) The main lobby and other services would be Carousel Plaza, boasting a replica of the Carousel in the center with a fountain, with park memorabilia around the walls/room. The main restaurant would be called the Great America Taphouse and Eatery, and would include dishes themed to all the themed areas(homestyle for Hometown, Cajun for Orleans, Fish/seafood for Yankee, burgers and breakfast for Yukon, classic American for County Fair). There would be 4 main room wings- Hometown, with 20s, 30s, 40s themed rooms with lots of subtle charm. Orleans, themed to, well, New Orleans. Lots of wrought-iron designs, French Colonial architecture, etc. Yankee, themed to the American Waterfront. Coastal themes, with lighthouses, boats, etc. If not Yankee, Southwest Territory, themed to it's name. Deserts, ranches, Mexo-american architecture, etc. You'll see why I did this in a bit. Finally, Yukon, themed to wooded forests. Log-based furniture, totem poles, moose, elk, snow gear, etc. County Fair would be the entertainment area(arcade, lazer tag, etc.). Who would want to sleep in a farm-based room? I'd like to see a both indoor and outdoor waterpark(akin to Kalahari at WD) themed to either Southwest Territory(remember, Marriott wanted a Southwest area), or Yankee Harbor. Whatever one isn't the waterpark becomes rooms(as I said earlier). A southwest waterpark would include little theming, but quite a few slides and attractions. A Yankee Harbor waterpark would include loads of water and coastal theming, but less slides. Hurricane Harbor can **** off and become park expansion. I would put the resort either where the business park is, or a bit closer to Gurnee Mills.

That's just my wish. All of this is disregarding Keylime Cove, btw. :P What would you like to see?

I would have loved for a indoor/outdoor waterpark and that way the space HH sits on could be used for park expansion. Maybe even have built TDK over there as well to drive traffic during winter time.

I have a feeling had Warners kept Six Flags in the late 90s instead of selling to Premier we might have seen a hotel and HH built across 94 as originally planned.
stergmi

Postby Viper 88 on May 15th, 2016, 12:36 pm
Absolutely what was said above me. With a few minor details. County Fair should have a quick service eatery akin to what you would find at a fair. Keep the wings themed but make sure there are some Mardi Gras touches in the Orleans wing. Balconies would be on this side only overlooking the waterpark so thusly would be more expensive and have more suites including clawfoot tubs or Jacuzzis. Now coming to the waterpark You have done a fine job with the areas of the hotel and everything was themed well, but one Southwest area or Yankee Harbor is enough keep the tropical theme of Hurricane Harbor for the waterpark and definitely have both indoor and outdoor waterparks, being bigger than what Is currently at HH and KLC. And of course make HH seperate gate but keep the indoor for resort guests only. Now that HH has been relocated tear out the old HH and now you have a huge amount of land to repurpose and redevelop. Also connect via monorail.
Viper 88

Postby staticshadows on May 15th, 2016, 2:33 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby tribar on May 17th, 2016, 9:05 pm
staticshadows wrote:If buying and expanding Key Lime Cove is out of the question. The next best option would be to buy 24 houses and the large vacant commercial plot of land north of the current parking lot. Buying the 24 houses would cost $9-12 million if you overpaid each owner to motivate them to sell and then you have to pay to demolish and rezone the properties. The additional commercial land would probably go for another $3-5 million and then you need to build a resort. The Key Lime Cove project cost $135-137 million (not sure if this included land purchase costs) in 2006 and was taken over by the lenders after going bankrupt. I believe it is still owned by the lenders.http://www.jsonline.com/business/29532974.html
Ignoring all of the above costs, here is what a Six Flags Resort might look like.
Edit: I would prefer if the park used that money to expand the park instead of building a resort.

Where did you get those satellite images?
tribar

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on May 18th, 2016, 4:42 pm
The parking lot idea would be better than the resort idea in my opinion
Dan The Coaster Man

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum