Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Jodon on May 2nd, 2019, 10:18 am
This past weekend, I finally visited Big Lou's for the first time. It is a hilariously awful waste of space and the sandwich was unbelievably dry for an Italian Beef sandwich. I guess that having something is better than nothing in that previously unused space, but there is so much potential that is completely wasted. The current set up is laughable and I hate what they did to the new bar area. They took a spot that had lots of seating, and replaced it with a bar and four 4 tops.

To me, the place is just another example of how poorly the park is run and how the park is satisfied with mediocrity.
Jodon

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 12:49 pm
Jodon wrote:To me, the place is just another example of how poorly the park is run and how the park is satisfied with mediocrity.

Yep, I would have liked to see them install some (air conditioned) indoor seating in that area. Would be really useful on extremely hot or cold days.
UnclePennybags

Postby hook13 on May 2nd, 2019, 1:31 pm
Got an offer for basic dining today for 35 (lunch/snack only gurnee/magic waters)...Anybody seen a better offer or should I grab it? have 2 full dining passes, but the 4 year old would eat at least 1 meal/snack a day.
would rather have the one that works at other parks for him, since i'll be travelling this year, food in gurnee is really just a frustrating experience all around, hope it gets just a bit better with mobile, but it likely won't. really curious to see how busy/crowded food etc is at magic waters this year-
hook13

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 6:23 pm
2019 Dining Pass menu has been released online:

https://static.sixflags.com/website/fil ... ochure.pdf
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 6:25 pm
2019 Park Map has been released online:

https://static.sixflags.com/website/fil ... rk-map.pdf
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 6:44 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:2019 Dining Pass menu has been released online:

Strange that they got rid of the funnel cakes on the Pass. Seemed like they were about as ubiquitous as fries.
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 6:54 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:2019 Park Map has been released online:

Here's some minor changes to the map:

"Superman Coke Kiosk" is now "Condor Snacks"
"Carousel Coke Kiosk" is now "Carousel Snacks"
"Whizzer Coke Kiosk" is now "Whizzer Snacks"
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 2nd, 2019, 7:16 pm
Just something most people wouldn't notice, but they forgot to finish Maxx Force's supports and some of them and just in mid air :lol: and some supports aren't attached to footers..
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on May 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:2019 Dining Pass menu has been released online:

Strange that they got rid of the funnel cakes on the Pass. Seemed like they were about as ubiquitous as fries.

I wonder if they're still secretly on it - in the park, they do still have funnel cake sundaes on the pass for a few dollars extra. That's the same way it was last year, but you could get a plain funnel cake without paying extra. It's simliar to how you can get a plain nacho for the price of a snack anyplace where they do a 'loaded nacho' for a meal (and that's not listed on the guide, either).

I wish the dining guide was more complete and listed the 'premium' items too...
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 8:06 pm
anewman35 wrote:I wish the dining guide was more complete and listed the 'premium' items too...

I was thinking the same thing. Last year, I'd find extra items that were on the pass, but only by visiting each dining location. Kind of lame.
UnclePennybags

Postby UnclePennybags on May 2nd, 2019, 8:29 pm
hook13 wrote:Got an offer for basic dining today for 35 (lunch/snack only gurnee/magic waters)...Anybody seen a better offer or should I grab it?

During the Flash sale last September, the price for the Basic Dining Pass was $41.99, so $35 sounds OK. I guess it comes down to how often you'll be visiting the parks.

I normally can't eat everything offered during the day using a Premium pass, but that's only because they have so many fries as part of every meal. I'd think a 4 year old could piggyback on whatever the two adults are eating with the Premium passes. Another pass shouldn't be necessary.
UnclePennybags

Postby hook13 on May 2nd, 2019, 10:55 pm
Thanks for the pricing feedback, I usually toss the fries, not great although the waffle they had last year at some locations were not bad. if he isn't hungry can grab fudge or something to take home so picked it up...also looked like the kiosk to turn your snacks/meals into go karts / game plays was going to be open this year, seemed like a late season addition last year. This will be an excellent option for us (karts/throwing darts for the little guy)
hook13

Postby UnclePennybags on May 3rd, 2019, 12:18 am
hook13 wrote:This will be an excellent option for us (karts/throwing darts for the little guy)

Awesome. I hope all goes well for you and your family this season.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on May 3rd, 2019, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby hook13 on May 3rd, 2019, 9:55 am
Thanks he's been riding the whizzer for 2 seasons, started the dark knight last year, demon is next challenge now for him although he's not so sure about going upside down.....I was impressed he rode screaming eagle in STL opening weekend this year, but wasn't so sure about going again!
hook13

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am
hook13 wrote:Thanks he's been riding the whizzer for 2 seasons, started the dark knight last year, demon is next challenge now for him although he's not so sure about going upside down.....I was impressed he rode screaming eagle in STL opening weekend this year, but wasn't so sure about going again!

Those are some great memories! I have 2 daughters (9 and 4) and I've really loved going on coasters with them, especially the older one as she's graduated each season to the bigger rides! The little one (when she was 3) called Whizzer "crazy" (but in a good way)!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterkidd100 on May 3rd, 2019, 8:55 pm
A few minor things that I noticed while I was at the park today that I thought I would share with everyone.

1. Whiligig is down for work. Maintenance was working on the ride all day and had several dozen parts they took out of the motor shed that is behind the smoking area by the bathrooms next to Batman's exit. Not sure quite what they are fixing or replacing but they had parts everywhere.

2. Kidzopolis was closed today. Six Flags Painters are repainting all of the ground/floor in the area. The new paint actually makes the area seem very nice and fresh.

3. Winner's Circle was closed today as well. I am thinking it was because of the park being short staffed today as there was no work being done to the track or anything like that.

4. Buccaneer Battle tested for a while today with some Rides Leads on the boats.

5. Big Easy Balloons is still being worked on by maintenance. The ride did not test or open today.

6. American Eagle-Blue has both trains on the track but did not operate today. Eagle did not have a line at all today that I noticed.

7. Whizzer's trains were being pulled out of the maintenance building and were moved behind X Flights maintenance garage.

8. There is a decent sized section of lights on Mardi Gras Hangover on the side that you can see while looking at it from Superman's entrance that are already out. I was a little shocked to see that the lights were already having issues.
coasterkidd100

Postby coasterfanatic on May 4th, 2019, 1:49 am
coasterkidd100 wrote:A few minor things that I noticed while I was at the park today that I thought I would share with everyone.

1. Whiligig is down for work. Maintenance was working on the ride all day and had several dozen parts they took out of the motor shed that is behind the smoking area by the bathrooms next to Batman's exit. Not sure quite what they are fixing or replacing but they had parts everywhere.

2. Kidzopolis was closed today. Six Flags Painters are repainting all of the ground/floor in the area. The new paint actually makes the area seem very nice and fresh.

3. Winner's Circle was closed today as well. I am thinking it was because of the park being short staffed today as there was no work being done to the track or anything like that.

4. Buccaneer Battle tested for a while today with some Rides Leads on the boats.

5. Big Easy Balloons is still being worked on by maintenance. The ride did not test or open today.

6. American Eagle-Blue has both trains on the track but did not operate today. Eagle did not have a line at all today that I noticed.

7. Whizzer's trains were being pulled out of the maintenance building and were moved behind X Flights maintenance garage.

8. There is a decent sized section of lights on Mardi Gras Hangover on the side that you can see while looking at it from Superman's entrance that are already out. I was a little shocked to see that the lights were already having issues.

There lights out on the other end (facing Mardi Gras) of the StupidLoop last year too. Apparently, the lights were done cheaply...surprise surprise..it's Six Flags.
coasterfanatic

Postby JT2002 on May 7th, 2019, 6:02 pm
Saw Jim Reid Anderson coming out of the park today, he's got a sick ride.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby UnclePennybags on May 7th, 2019, 9:42 pm
JT2002 wrote:Saw Jim Reid Anderson coming out of the park today, he's got a sick ride.

I'm surprised this guy is at SFGAm so often. I'd expect a CEO of an S&P 500 company to spend most of his time at corporate HQ. He's at SFGAm four times a year or more? I assume he hits the other parks with similar frequency. That'd put him on the road a fair number of days a year. I really like to see this in a boss.
UnclePennybags

Postby staticshadows on May 7th, 2019, 9:52 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
JT2002 wrote:Saw Jim Reid Anderson coming out of the park today, he's got a sick ride.

I'm surprised this guy is at SFGAm so often. I'd expect a CEO of an S&P 500 company to spend most of his time at corporate HQ. He's at SFGAm four times a year or more? I assume he hits the other parks with similar frequency. That'd put him on the road a fair number of days a year. I really like to see this in a boss.

Why are you surprised that someone living in Lake Forest keeps an office at the nearest company park?
staticshadows

Postby JaminOut on May 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm
Maybe that’s why he invests so heavily in this park... he lives here!
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby UnclePennybags on May 7th, 2019, 10:56 pm
staticshadows wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:I'm surprised this guy is at SFGAm so often. I'd expect a CEO of an S&P 500 company to spend most of his time at corporate HQ.

Why are you surprised that someone living in Lake Forest keeps an office at the nearest company park?

I thought corporate HQ was in TX. Does he live in IL and TX, or just here?
UnclePennybags

Postby JT2002 on May 7th, 2019, 11:58 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
staticshadows wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:I'm surprised this guy is at SFGAm so often. I'd expect a CEO of an S&P 500 company to spend most of his time at corporate HQ.

I thought corporate HQ was in TX. Does he live in IL and TX, or just here?

He may have another smaller house in TX, but he has a very large house/mansion right on Lake Michigan in Lake Forest.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby UnclePennybags on May 8th, 2019, 12:34 am
JT2002 wrote:He may have another smaller house in TX, but he has a very large house/mansion right on Lake Michigan in Lake Forest.

Wow, it's good to have the CEO live nearby. I gotta believe any extra attention/feedback he provides to local management would be to our advantage.
UnclePennybags

Postby gottastrata33 on May 8th, 2019, 12:47 am
I’d love to see him, he seems like a fun quirky person. We have offices here do we not? We do really well. Clearly - as we can see by the constant attractions every year.

On another note - Anyone else get a survey for the new dining pass mobile logo? I really like the first two options but like the first most. The third, not at all. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum