Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Crowds in Late August

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JaminOut on August 14th, 2015, 2:19 pm
I plan on going to Great America on Monday. It's a Bring a Friend for $10 day, so should I expect some crowds similar to July?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby w00dland on August 17th, 2015, 10:01 am
Many local suburban schools go back today, but CPS and lots of schools in Wisconsin are still out so it'll likely still be busy. Last week of August is going to be a good time this year since Labor Day isn't until the 7th of September.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby UWW-10 on August 17th, 2015, 10:36 am
This is their final week of daily operations....so it can be hit or miss...staffing at the park could also be iffy but upon looking at the park hours, HH is not open this week so they could very well have lifeguards working certain rides/attractions to try and keep everything operational (if the park even does that anymore). Otherwise, you'll probably be seeing supervisors out in positions (especially if there aren't enough to cover breaks for team members).
UWW-10

Postby CoasterCale on August 18th, 2015, 4:07 pm
Not sure about today but Sunday and Monday were pretty bad. Many upper management were working rides checking restraints. The most I saw at one crew was 4 at Goliath, 1 in booth, 1 at entrance, and 2 checking restraints. The 2 would do both cycles, checking seatbelts and lapbars. The least was Viper, which had 2 total. This meant one on the boarding side would only check lapbars while the one on the exit would cover EAP, and do to the mic. (as the booth hasn't been used for a while.)
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby Foltzy on August 22nd, 2015, 11:19 am
Yesterday was awful.
Operations were slow and it was packed
Raging bull, viper and batman were decently quick.
Goliath every 2 or 3 minutes
X-flight was sending Trains out every 5 minutes.
Foltzy

Postby JaminOut on August 22nd, 2015, 11:52 am
I don't know what it is about the crew X-Flight has, but they run insanely slow....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby w00dland on August 22nd, 2015, 4:56 pm
Went on Friday, and they should still be open until 10 this week. The back lot was probably half full

Most major rides were 75-90 minute waits, the park was completely packed at closing time. In fact, as I was walking out to the car 15 minutes prior to closing, there were still people come IN for the night. Glad I got out of there when I did because the back up out of the park must have been incredible. Did the train (packed train), Sky Trek Tower and TDK at a 50 minute wait at 7PM!

Was really hungry and wanted to eat dinner, but there is no way you're making me wait an hour for a Turkey Leg. Stood in line for 10 minutes and they had only managed to serve one person some chicken strips and fries. The line at Jack's Snacks was pretty funny as it blocked off two walk ways, total disaster.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby UWW-10 on August 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm
^Yikes!

If that isn't a wake-up call to park management, I don't know what is!

If they are having difficult times managing these crowds, I can envision how bad it's going to be come FF. I get it's the end of the summer/school has started...but they've had dwindling operations across the board the last few seasons and I think it's really starting to show just how bad it is. Perhaps it is time for a fresh start at the top?
UWW-10

Postby Sporlo on August 22nd, 2015, 11:31 pm
Is park attendance increasing over the years, or are operations getting worse? Both? Neither?
Sporlo

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on August 23rd, 2015, 10:11 am
^I'm afraid both.

They better get some training from Cedar Point or Disney.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Foltzy on August 23rd, 2015, 10:44 am
I'd say not Disney on that one, but learn from CP
Disney is ridiculously quick, but remember, they don't manually check the restraint, they have the rider pull up on the lap bar or the strap on the seatbelt.
While its efficient, it's flawed as the Tower of Terror cast member said our row was clear before I was buckled in.
Disneys able to do these cause I think they realized that the guests there, while stupid, aren't willing to completely take off their seatbelt.
At six flags however, there would be competitions on who could stand up the longest without dying.

Overall, I'd say CP has the safest operations that are fast, with Disney having the fastest but not safest
Foltzy

Postby CoasterCale on August 25th, 2015, 7:35 pm
I don't deny that the castmember could have said it was before completely belted. But in terms of crowd control and overall customer service, every park could learn from Disney with a couple of exceptions. (SDC and HW)

CoasterCale

Postby jmanporty7 on August 30th, 2015, 7:18 am
How busy is Labor Day Sunday in the past few years? Because I want to know because I am going Sept 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby CoasterCale on August 30th, 2015, 9:49 pm
It's usually not bad but not great. Today was by far the most crowded I've seen it in a while. Even the Train hit capacity. :cry:

CoasterCale

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum