Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Loose Articles

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on July 26th, 2014, 11:06 pm
I did some searching and there were some topics on Loose Articles, but none of them were really what I was looking for.

1. What do you guys do with Loose Articles before riding? I use to leave them in a bag, but now I worry that someone will steal mine things, so I wear a pair of shorts with zippered pockets and put my wallet and phone in there.

2. Is there any ride where zipper pockets won't help?

3. For those of you that leave your things in the station, has anyone ever stolen your stuff?

Thanks
RollingCoasting

Postby NightRider785 on July 26th, 2014, 11:23 pm
I also do zipper pockets when I wear shorts. Otherwise there is typically a girl with who has a purse/bag that I ask to hold my keys and phone. I never take my wallet in, just my license and debit card.
Only issue with zipper pockets would be on water rides where your phone would get wet. Ziplock baggy works good for that situation.
NightRider785

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 26th, 2014, 11:24 pm
I got my sports bottle stolen from Raging Bull's station. To help prevent that, I started putting the strings from my bag through the handle. Worked great until someone stole my bag and bottle from Yankee Clippers station. (They put the bag back later but kept the bottle.) My phone and wallet always stay with me though.

I do wish we'd get the locking station bins like Cedar Fair parks have. Those are great cause I can feel fine about leaving my valuables behind, and I can enjoy the rides more cause I'm not worried about stuff in my pockets.
DeathbyDinn

Postby tribar on July 26th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Zipper pockets work great for me. I also bring a plastic baggy for my phone for water rides or days where there is a possibility of rain
tribar

Postby RollingCoasting on July 26th, 2014, 11:36 pm
Do they work on V2 though? After seeing all the stuff in the water, I'm not sure
RollingCoasting

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 27th, 2014, 12:48 am
Sure, I use zipper pockets on V2 all the time. I can't think of any ride that would actually be able to open up a zipper pocket and take something out of it.
DeathbyDinn

Postby RollingCoasting on July 27th, 2014, 12:59 am
That's good to hear. I guess the only way for your things to fall out while wearing zipper pockets would be if you were to open them yourself
RollingCoasting

Postby Jackluver18 on July 27th, 2014, 9:20 pm
I wear a waist pack when I go to the park that has everything I need. Phone, wallet, keys..etc. I have my sports bottle but i put my name on it after it got stolen at Rapids last year. Goliath is the only ride I have to take my waist pack off.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby tp41190 on July 28th, 2014, 9:13 am
I was always typically over paranoid about lossing stuff on rides. I realized that it takes a lot for your loose articles to actually come out of your pocket. Most of the time they are lost when people wear loose basketball shorts or when girls wear short shorts and have their giant Iphone only 1/3 of the way inside the pcoket. Then there are all the people who try to POV with their phone who have no idea what they are doing.
[read]
tp41190

Postby [jonrev] on July 28th, 2014, 1:47 pm
^That. Chance Zippers were really the only thing that was able to shake my old phone out of my pocket. The new, bigger idiotphones: not so much. Never lost anything else beyond change.
[jonrev]

Postby RaceBoarder on July 28th, 2014, 2:34 pm
When I go to parks, I wear a pair of cargo pants or shorts... The cargo pockets are just hook & loop (velcro) closures... Cargo pockets carry my hat, car keys (if I drove... Otherwise left in the car), and phone in a plastic baggie... Any change also ends up in the bag... Wallet stays in my rear pocket unless I go on a water ride... Then it goes in the baggie for that... Never lost anything besides loose change out of a cargo pocket... Also never had issues with a restraint and/or seat because of what's in my pockets...

I did have a friend last year who lost his phone out of a pocket on Superman last season however... He reported the phone to the Lost & Found and did get the phone back, although the screen was significantly cracked... Also had a friend who believes he might have squeezed his phone a bit too much while riding with it in his pocket earlier this year... His touch screen became pixalated and sometimes unresponsive after a day in the park... The phone had to be replaced shortly after this...

In the past, I've left hats and water bottles in the stations with no indecent.. Even made it through a day at Cedar Point just leaving a souvenir water bottle on top of the storage lockers outside of GateKeeper, TTD, and Millennium because I was too cheap to pay an extra $15-20 for locker rentals... No one seemed to bother my bottle, although I did dump out whatever was in while it was sitting and got a refill right afterwards...
RaceBoarder

Postby coasterlove on July 28th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Funny questions about the zipper pockets. How could something possibly fall out unless you opened it? Ask yourself, have you ever gotten off a ride and found your fly open? I guess anything is possible.

Speaking of shorts or pants with zipper pockets, does anyone know of anywhere to regularly find them? I have a few pairs of shorts and one pair of pants. I've found them occasionally at various department or clothing stores but usually hard to find. Are there stores or websites that often have them?
coasterlove

Postby RaceBoarder on July 28th, 2014, 5:05 pm
coasterlove wrote:Funny questions about the zipper pockets. How could something possibly fall out unless you opened it? Ask yourself, have you ever gotten off a ride and found your fly open? I guess anything is possible.

Speaking of shorts or pants with zipper pockets, does anyone know of anywhere to regularly find them? I have a few pairs of shorts and one pair of pants. I've found them occasionally at various department or clothing stores but usually hard to find. Are there stores or websites that often have them?

Your best bet would be at a store that deals in outdoor clothing... Lots of hiking pants will have zippers... They are also very lightweight, they dry quickly, offer a good amount of sun protection, and tend to be very durable... Brands like The North Face, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, and Colombia are what you want to look for...

Stores in the Chicago area that will carry something like this would be R.E.I., Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop... You might come across something like this at a Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority as well, but those can be hit or miss depending on the store... You also have brands like North Face and Patagonia that have their own stores in places like Schamburg, Oak Brook, and Chicago...

You can look at outdoors oriented websites as well...

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-horizon-cargo-pant-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgSGlraW5nIGFuZCBDbGltYmluZyBQYW50czoxOjk6YmNzQ2F0MTExMDAzOQ&skid=TNF004M-NEWTPGN-S30LONG

Backcountry.com is nice... I also shop at Evo.com as well... Don't forget to check out the actual brand websites as well, as they often can link you to reputable dealers that sell their gear...
RaceBoarder

Postby Luxornv on August 2nd, 2014, 2:27 am
I usually wear cargo pants that just have velcro pockets. This usually holds well. I also take extra precautions with my keys. I have a lanyard that they are always on and tie it to a belt loop when in the park. If I lose anything else, I'll be upset, but if I lose my keys, I'm not getting home. If you're using a carabiner, make sure the spring in it holds well so it doesn't come undone on a ride, or just get one of the rock climbing ones if you're really paranoid. I've been lucky so far that I haven't lost anything beyond change.
Luxornv

Postby Dmrbug on August 5th, 2014, 12:15 pm
I like to use a ziplock baggie for all my stuff. I put my phone, keys, cash, season pass, and discover card in it. I can just do a quick check for the bag and know I have all my stuff when I get off the ride. I have never had my bag fall out of my pocket during a ride (I wear draw string type shorts). Also it helps keep all my stuff dry on water rides.
Dmrbug

Postby BBH on August 5th, 2014, 1:14 pm
I like to bring a drawstring bag to the park so I can have a water bottle, sunscreen if I need it, and a place to put my glasses. Plus, people will steal sport bottles, yes, but I've never seen anyone go for another person's bag.

Is the risk there? Yes. Is it incredibly small? Absolutely.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby Foltzy on August 5th, 2014, 5:28 pm
I put non important stuff in a drawstring bag (sunglasses, sports bottle, etc.) in the station. I wouldn't mind losing that stuff.

I put important stuff (Phone, cash, credit cards, season pass) stuff that I don't wanna lose. I put that in a back zipper pocket. I kinda sit on it so I have my weight and a zipper to protect it. I keep my keys on a small lanyard that i stash in my pocket walking around and tie it to a belt loop then put it in a pocket on coasters
Foltzy

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum