Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby DeathbyDinn on June 2nd, 2012, 6:49 pm
Im at the park now, and the radar is spinning.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Cole on June 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm
mrsix wrote:seriousely

I nominate this for post of the year.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby ilrider on June 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm
Cole wrote:
mrsix wrote:seriousely

I nominate this for post of the year.

Post of the year? He didn't even spell seriously correctly.
ilrider

Postby mikedoyleblogger on June 3rd, 2012, 10:40 pm
Today the radar was off all day, and so was the mist in the control tower fly-through. The water feature also now fires mostly after the train passes (I assume because people complained about getting stung with water on the right wing of the train.) The ride ops also seemed very diligent and polite about relocating larger riders to row 4.

There also seems to be a new musical queue for trains going into the inversion just off the lift hill, (but someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.) There's a crescendo of music now as every train reaches the top of the lift hill that pretty much teaches everyone on line to look up because a train is about to start its run. It was pretty effective, too.

Throughput was really speedy all day, too. Except...they need to be able to deal with vomit delays better. This ride is no Raging Bull. It went down for at least 20 minutes due to a last-row upchuck, which seemed pretty excessive.
mikedoyleblogger

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on June 3rd, 2012, 10:46 pm
June 1st everything was working. And i also noticed to that the water element doesnt really go off until the ride is already by. I wish they could make it so that you did get hit by the water. I didnt mind that especially because it cooled me off. But knowing people that didnt know about it probally didnt close there eyes and got drilled with the water and they ended up having to fix that problem. Think it will ever be back to how it was?
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on June 5th, 2012, 1:08 pm
The radar was off in the morning, but walked around the park and it was spinning. I guess if they remember to turn it on, it's on, but when someone forgets to turn it on, it just doesn't spin. I don't think it's a money cutting measure, just the lack of thought from the park employees keep it from spinning.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby ViperFTW on June 5th, 2012, 10:57 pm
Today the radar tower and everything else was working. The water element was firing at its normal time. I even got shot in the eye second row right side!
Overall I believe that back left and front right are the best spots to ride X-Flight. I was really impressed both times that I rode it!
ViperFTW

Postby CoasterNick3157 on June 10th, 2012, 1:16 am
Anybody who went to that X-Flight commercial shoot the commercial came on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRO-3Wlzoo0
CoasterNick3157

Postby woohoodude11 on June 11th, 2012, 3:31 am
Soooo since I was only 17 in 2003 (s:uf) and dont remember, am I the only one that thinks its crazy and a little scary that a brand new state of the art ride and arguably the best out of the 4 in the friggin WORLD only had a 30 minute wait on a WEEKEND? I can swear I waited damn near 2 hours for s:uf around this time the year it opened...
woohoodude11

Postby BLADE on June 11th, 2012, 6:43 am
No, I'm lovin it. Stellar operations help. I can't see these short lines remaining consistent with the summer season however.
BLADE

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 11th, 2012, 10:16 am
With the waterpark open and temperatures in the high 90s. It doesn't surprise me the line would be shorter. On hot days the park has much better capacity with the waterpark then it did in 2003. Having a new major coaster helps too I am sure.
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby gottastrata33 on June 13th, 2012, 8:51 am
Sad I live in CO now, I miss X-Flight. Commercial looks good :) I have said this to people 100x over but I gotta say, XF is such a great ride & a perfect addition to our park!!

Media day was incredible & two days later I was at Canada's Wonderland & due to that awesome "weekend" I gained two new B&Ms on my top 10. I really love XF that much cause it blew me away when I went into it expecting it not only to be a good ride but be all smooth ride with little force. Sadly many B&Ms have that but the company is really getting ballsy. I mean I would have never imagined them to design an inverted first drop, it seems so out there like intamins do.

Oh & yes, definitely back left wing all the way. That first drop is one of my faves of any coaster I've been on!!
gottastrata33

Postby cab0218 on July 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Did they turn the mist off now?
cab0218

Postby tribar on July 7th, 2012, 12:25 am
On sunday it was barely working . A little was coming out but not enough to get even remotly close to the train
tribar

Postby Patch on July 7th, 2012, 10:10 am
It's a real shame that the mist is barely working now.

For those of you who remember media day, remember how full freakin blast the mist was? It was basically a giant wall of white!

And also remember the water jets? On media day, the seemed to be much more synchronized. Now they go off after the train has left that part of track completely. They also weren't as pathetic as they are now. They shot up super high on media day. Now they just go slowly and its anti climactic.

I hope they can maybe get it working better. I remember last friday one of the trains rolled back on the curve when coming into the station, and me being the first in line, was told it was an hour wait. I didnt take it considering ive rode the thing 40+ times. Was anyone else there?
Xlight total rides:
50 times and in every row except front row left wing.
Patch

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 7th, 2012, 10:32 am
Patch wrote:It's a real shame that the mist is barely working now.

For those of you who remember media day, remember how full freakin blast the mist was? It was basically a giant wall of white!

And also remember the water jets? On media day, the seemed to be much more synchronized. Now they go off after the train has left that part of track completely. They also weren't as pathetic as they are now. They shot up super high on media day. Now they just go slowly and its anti climactic.

I hope they can maybe get it working better. I remember last friday one of the trains rolled back on the curve when coming into the station, and me being the first in line, was told it was an hour wait. I didn't take it considering ive rode the thing 40+ times. Was anyone else there?

I think the only reason the mist seems like it's not working is because of how hot it is. Mist in 100 degrees I'm thinking will just "burn" out immediately. Maybe I'm wrong, but when i rode it the night of the fourth it was working but just not alot wait untill Fright Fest when the trmperature is lower and closer to the dew point cause im sure it will probably fill the entire site with mist. As for the roll back on the curve into the station....how is that even possible if it's a decline into the station? Maybe they backed it up and were doing some tests, but for it to roll back itself it would never happen.
B&MGuy35

Postby rct2wizard360 on July 7th, 2012, 4:10 pm
Patch wrote:And also remember the water jets? On media day, the seemed to be much more synchronized. Now they go off after the train has left that part of track completely. They also weren't as pathetic as they are now. They shot up super high on media day. Now they just go slowly and its anti climactic.

The water jets were also smacking anyone sitting in the back two rows on the right side with half a bucket of water to the face on media so that might have something to do with it.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby Johnny.Ink on July 8th, 2012, 10:09 pm
rct2wizard360 wrote:
Patch wrote:And also remember the water jets? On media day, the seemed to be much more synchronized. Now they go off after the train has left that part of track completely. They also weren't as pathetic as they are now. They shot up super high on media day. Now they just go slowly and its anti climactic.

The water jets were also smacking anyone sitting in the back two rows on the right side with half a bucket of water to the face on media so that might have something to do with it.

it wasn't that bad :lol:

You got some water, but it wasn't anywhere near the hyperbole that people try to make it out to be. I liked it, and it would have been nice on that 2 week stretch of 90 - 100 degree weather we have had.

The misters were full bore again, so perhaps someone's hypothesis on it be so hot that the weather was frying the mist immediately had some merit.
Johnny.Ink

Postby tribar on July 8th, 2012, 10:31 pm
^That's good to hear
tribar

Postby UWW-10 on July 9th, 2012, 8:46 am
When I went the other day (7/6), it seemed as if there were many pairs of seats tied off mostly on the same train. It still makes me wonder if they are just waiting on parts to arrive, or if this ends up like Superman where any given time there will always be a handful of seats just not available
UWW-10

Postby Sporlo on July 19th, 2012, 8:43 am
July 17
The mist was almost non-existent midday, but it was going strong in the evening.

After my initial ride back in May, I wasn't THAT impressed by the ride, but after riding another 4 rides that allowed me to try both sides and both ends, it's really grown on me. The back has its perks, but the Immelmann is best in front row. It's by far my favorite element for front row.
And in 2 months, the outside seat shuttering before the tower has gotten much stronger.

I'm really happy with this addition. (the grass is looking very nice as well. Given the current drought, it's looking remarkably strong, even though it's mostly crabgrass-or-something-like-it)
Sporlo

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on July 19th, 2012, 11:34 pm
July 18th - mist was like a white wall again all day until around 730 8 when wind picked up when the storm rolled in!
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby jwlnroe on August 12th, 2012, 8:02 pm
27 days until I get to ride Xflight for the first time!!! I'm so excited!!!! :-)
jwlnroe

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 20th, 2012, 8:47 pm
Heads up, X Flight shut down for the day at 11:15 today due to issues with the ride's Lift Motor. No idea how long it might be.
DejaVu2001

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on August 20th, 2012, 9:38 pm
^Yep. At around 3:15 or so there was one or two workers I guess working on the lift hill.
Iron Wolf 90-11

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum