Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What to do with the Yukon water front area

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby great america fan on January 31st, 2016, 3:07 pm
The water front area in Yukon Territory is one of the most underrated/underused section of the park. I think that they should open ups some back doors to the shops and add some seating. What do you guys think
great america fan

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on January 31st, 2016, 3:38 pm
First off, get an exterminator. There are far too many gnats by the waterfront. But I do agree, open up the area more and add some more seating. Make it more like what Yankee Harbor has.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on January 31st, 2016, 4:10 pm
That's what it used to be until they put in V2 and then Ragin Cajun, it was a part of the park where you could just sit n relax with the last bits or *really good* Marriott themeing with the lighthouse, Yankee Clippers entrance, the suspension bridge, etc...
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby MrsTaxi on January 31st, 2016, 5:24 pm
There are some picnic benches.....We always eat our lunch on the water front, it's peaceful. The birds will actually land on your table. We love it.
MrsTaxi

Postby staticshadows on February 1st, 2016, 4:32 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 1st, 2016, 5:42 pm
TBH, both of the log flumes can be done away with. They're very dated, the dual-drop aspect no longer works, and it can open up a huge amount of land. However, I do think that the lakes should be kept, as the water is very nice to relax. Not to mention, but it is slightly scary with the vertical spike on V2 being over water. With the 2 flumes being removed, and incorporating the bits of actual land around the Roaring Rapids trenches and RC's spot, they can make a huge coaster, possibly a full-scale Mack Launch.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby B&MGuy35 on February 1st, 2016, 7:29 pm
Is it possible that no major coasters have gone on that side of the park ever because of the residential area over there? Maybe they refrain from major attractions so not to upset the residents any further with noise complaints? It would be nice to see that area with a big coaster..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby JaminOut on February 1st, 2016, 9:08 pm
Well, everyone has said it, but I'll say it again: The residence chose to live next to Six Flags, they weren't forced to. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on February 2nd, 2016, 3:09 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:TBH, both of the log flumes can be done away with. They're very dated, the dual-drop aspect no longer works, and it can open up a huge amount of land. However, I do think that the lakes should be kept, as the water is very nice to relax. Not to mention, but it is slightly scary with the vertical spike on V2 being over water. With the 2 flumes being removed, and incorporating the bits of actual land around the Roaring Rapids trenches and RC's spot, they can make a huge coaster, possibly a full-scale Mack Launch.

Agreed 100% I like the flumes, but they're 40 years old now, we have a water park, and they would open up a tremendous amount of room if they were removed. A Mr. Freeze themed Floorless mega looper or a Full scale mack launch would be awesome in that plot of land in my opinion.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby great america fan on February 2nd, 2016, 9:53 pm
The flumes are very popular and have very good capacity. Yankee clipper usually has over a 45 minute wait (when it actually operates.) I would I would love a launch coaster over there as well. They could evan call it Yankee clipper and have the trains look like boats. But it doesn't make sense statistically for the park.
great america fan

Postby w00dland on February 3rd, 2016, 11:30 am
FParker185 wrote:That's what it used to be until they put in V2 and then Ragin Cajun, it was a part of the park where you could just sit n relax with the last bits or *really good* Marriott themeing with the lighthouse, Yankee Clippers entrance, the suspension bridge, etc...

I swear to god if this starts back up the "Bring back to Lighthouse" posts I'll delete the forums.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby sfgam-fan on February 6th, 2016, 10:03 am
What's wrong with the lighthouse?
w00dland wrote:
FParker185 wrote:That's what it used to be until they put in V2 and then Ragin Cajun, it was a part of the park where you could just sit n relax with the last bits or *really good* Marriott themeing with the lighthouse, Yankee Clippers entrance, the suspension bridge, etc...

I swear to god if this starts back up the "Bring back to Lighthouse" posts I'll delete the forums.
sfgam-fan

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 6th, 2016, 12:09 pm
^Back in the Marriott days, there was a lighthouse where the twisted spike for V2 is now. People complained that it left when V2 was added.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Superman on February 7th, 2016, 2:29 am
DOWN WITH V2! UP WITH THE LIGHTHOUSE!
"Everyone, listen to me! These jerks killed Superboy. They've tried to kill us. Now they say they're going to tear this city apart. I say... like hell."
Superman

Postby tp41190 on February 17th, 2016, 11:46 am
It's interesting too see how little of an impact things like theming make to guests now days.

Personally, I see one of the flumes coming down within the next few years. If both come down, you know that Six Flags will pave the entire area, or it will just sit as a flat plot of dirt for a few years. It's a shame because the new go cart location really killed that area of the park. It's kind of interesting to see all the coasters from across the plot, but it really makes the park seem flat.

Anyone remember the new/old views of the Cedar Point midway when they took out the laser show movie screen? They tried to go for more of an open concept, which I agree with in their situation, but disagree with at SFGAm.
[read]
tp41190

Postby anewman35 on February 17th, 2016, 7:27 pm
tp41190 wrote:It's interesting too see how little of an impact things like theming make to guests now days.

Personally, I see one of the flumes coming down within the next few years. If both come down, you know that Six Flags will pave the entire area, or it will just sit as a flat plot of dirt for a few years. It's a shame because the new go cart location really killed that area of the park. It's kind of interesting to see all the coasters from across the plot, but it really makes the park seem flat.

Anyone remember the new/old views of the Cedar Point midway when they took out the laser show movie screen? They tried to go for more of an open concept, which I agree with in their situation, but disagree with at SFGAm.

I think it was a double mistake - removing the kids area was unfortunate, because as much as everybody here likes thrill rides, the park can never have too many kiddie flat rides. But if they had to remove the kids area, do it for a great coaster or some cool family ride, not an upcharge attraction that ruins any ambiance the area has with the noise and smell (and it's not even some sort of unique thing, you can ride Go Carts plenty of other places). I really hope that they fix their mistake one day and use that area (maybe along with BB) next time they want to put in some large coaster, but I'm afraid maybe they make too much money off it, I don't know.
anewman35

Postby RollerCoasterFavRide on February 19th, 2016, 1:02 pm
I went on the log/boat ride this past year (after not going on it for YEARS!) and I thought it was semi terrible and I'm surprised it's still standing. The ride itself seems rickety and very rusty (needs some more upkeep), but the drop isn't even eventful. I've been on log rides fairly recently (Splash Mountain -Disney World and the log ride in Mall of America) and they have a much bigger drop and are a lot more fun.

Do you think they would remove all water rides from the main park? I can see the log/boat one, but what about Roaring Rapids?
RollerCoasterFavRide

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on February 19th, 2016, 2:54 pm
Here's what strikes me as odd.... V2 has never been re-painted. It looks horrific, and it's going on 15 years now. To me this is a clear indicator that it might be on it's way out. to be honest, it would make a much better fit in a smaller park like Six Flags America or even the Great Escape.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Goku1910 on February 21st, 2016, 1:16 am
Superman was added shortly after V2. What's your point? I doubt the time between factory paint and a repaint have anything to do with it's future.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby FParker185 on February 22nd, 2016, 12:20 am
True, both rides look like total crap, but the paint is still serving it's primary purpose to protect the underlying metal. It was mentioned at NCC that 2 rides would be repainted this year but they refused to say which
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby JaminOut on February 22nd, 2016, 4:26 pm
My bets are on Superman and V2, then. If one of those isn't, I would think Whizzer is next in line.

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby great america fan on February 22nd, 2016, 5:29 pm
JaminOut wrote:My bets are on Superman and V2, then. If one of those isn't, I would think Whizzer is next in line.

Whizzer isn't going anywhere for a while.
great america fan

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 22nd, 2016, 5:35 pm
^He's talking about paint.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Viper 88 on February 23rd, 2016, 11:56 am
I've been on log rides fairly recently (Splash Mountain -Disney World and the log ride in Mall of America) and they have a much bigger drop and are a lot more fun.

Do you think they would remove all water rides from the main park? I can see the log/boat one, but what about Roaring Rapids?[/quote]
Well The Flumes are actualy taller than Splash Mountain. Don't know about MOA though. I think it would be a terrible thing if they got rid of the water rides, I personally love them except BB (I totaly hate HH). I do think some much needed TLC on RR could be in the cards at some point. I would love to see the waterfalls hit the boats rather just mist them and the waterfall over the cave could be fixed I think the last time they had it on was 2009. The flune drops are pretty good IMHO Loggers is more thrilling than YC but YC's gets you wetter.
Viper 88

Postby CoasterCale on February 23rd, 2016, 2:24 pm
I see the flumes staying longer Rapids. While the lines may not compare, the capacity doesn't either. I'd rather have a flume getting mildly wet, and having fun than getting drenched and regretting it for the rest of the day.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum