Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New ride for 2016

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on June 27th, 2015, 4:01 pm
Thanks Dejavu2001! I had no idea that a change like that was made.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby DejaVu2001 on June 27th, 2015, 4:11 pm
Neither did I until a couple weeks ago. It got under the radar because that detail wasn't listed in the agenda.
DejaVu2001

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 27th, 2015, 10:25 pm
Actually, with some minor adjustments, it might just fit into RC's spot. It'll be quite a snug fit, but they should be able to do it. The park fit in a B&M Wingrider in a Shoot the Chutes location, and an RMC in Iron Wolf's spot, so I'm confident they can do this.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby ChiGuy on June 29th, 2015, 2:04 pm
I've thought for a while that we need a new high thrill flat ride. How cool would it be if SFGAm shipped King Chaos to another park and in its place built... ((dramatic suspenseful pause))... SUPER King Chaos! Ride Video:
https://youtu.be/9Ouxhqz7Y7w
ChiGuy

Postby FParker185 on June 29th, 2015, 3:28 pm
would be neat for SFGAm put build some flat ride technology that is less than 10-20 years old, but ABC rides... it would be closed much more than it's open. They're not exactly known for great engineering.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on June 29th, 2015, 4:09 pm
Capacity is a big issue with Great America, the demand outweighs the supply. A Ferris Wheel or a Justice league dark ride would really help eat the crowds up. I'm almost willing to bet that a Dark Ride will go in the Pictorium, seeing as they just fixed it up a few years back, and that's exactly what Six Flags Over Texas did, re-use a Theater for a dark ride.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Banky on June 29th, 2015, 8:43 pm
and as much as we have already had a lot of maintenance issues this year do we really want another new ride with a sketchy possible maintenance? Also I agree we definitely need a people eater. something with very nice capacity to eat those lines. Also add to that A TRAINED STAFF TO RUN THAT RIDE AT OR NEAR 100% CAPACITY. as it doesn't matter if a new ride can churn 1500 people per hour if we have lazy untrained idiots running it at 40% capacity anyway.
Banky

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 29th, 2015, 9:42 pm
You want to know what a ride that's good for families and thrill seekers, and is also good in capacity? An S&S Screamin Swing. 40 people per cycle. Great ride for everyone. If we get one, I will be very happy.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on June 29th, 2015, 11:24 pm
Next year would be one situation where I wouldn't care if the park totally cheaps out and just picks up the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel.
FParker185

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 29th, 2015, 11:58 pm
They did "Save the History" with Little Dipper, so I wouldn't be surprised with the same thing.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby anewman35 on June 30th, 2015, 7:16 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:They did "Save the History" with Little Dipper, so I wouldn't be surprised with the same thing.

They did, but a 50-year-old historic coaster from a park that is closing forever is very different than a 20-year-old Ferris Wheel that isn't especially large or historic or anything (and which is only coming down because the Navy Pier wants a better one). "New at 2016 at Six Flags Great America - A not-very-special 20-year-old ride that is already eclipsed by a better ride an hour away!" I don't see it.
anewman35

Postby UWW-10 on June 30th, 2015, 1:24 pm
Banky wrote:and as much as we have already had a lot of maintenance issues this year do we really want another new ride with a sketchy possible maintenance?

One would think this is on the minds of higher up park officials. Once you start realizing that the majority of the flat ride collection they have is now 40 years (or very close to it), there comes a point that no matter how much TLC you put into them they are in fact at the end of the day machines...that eventually wear out and the cost to continue to maintain and repair exceeds the cost of scrapping and starting over with something new. I understand that it's a huge undertaking to replace all at one time but when you start looking at the flat rides that have been "crapping out" (for lack of a better term) during the busy part of the season....sticking a band-aid on it as a temporary solution only gets you so far.

So it would be nice to see some refreshed flat ride technology as well. I understand nostalgia but those rides aren't going to stick around forever...
UWW-10

Postby stockboy300 on July 1st, 2015, 4:40 pm
I agree with the screaming swing! Skyhawk is incredible!
stockboy300

Postby Jacklw6499 on July 1st, 2015, 5:54 pm
I'll bet money we are getting a Justice League Dark Ride next year. Most likely inside the pictorium.
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Banky on July 3rd, 2015, 7:43 pm
yeah they will announce a dark ride in the pictorium but not start construction til like november then there will be a huge delay when they go to dig out the floor of the pictorium and find that huge rock that has been long rumored to be under the seating area. some idiot in charge will try and blast the rock causing structural damage to the whole building which will then require a complete tear down and rebuild and heavy equipment to remove said rock that is still there under the seats. its now mid december so they take a month off for x-mas come back and its too cold and too much snow to work in the half demolished pictorium. excavation doesn't really get underway until a mini thaw beginning of march but yet park management still insists it will open opening day in may on time and sells special season passes with an opportunity to ride it first the night before media day. All that said special event and media day both never happen and the dark ride doesn't open til and of June and has constant software/mech issues they can't seem to work out so it has 50% downtime.

sound about right?
Banky

Postby RobSFGAm on July 6th, 2015, 11:03 am
Saw the village meeting sign for July 15 and called the village - variance is for a cell tower - NOT a ride. They stated that it is a zone variance for the park to allow a cell tower to be constructed near the front on the park entrance / sign near Grand ave.
I saw the sign on park property and initially though it was for a ride, but it is not per the Gurnee village plan commission.
Ignore spelling error- sent via mobile.
RobSFGAm

Postby anewman35 on July 6th, 2015, 11:29 am
RobSFGAm wrote:Saw the village meeting sign for July 15 and called the village - variance is for a cell tower - NOT a ride. They stated that it is a zone variance for the park to allow a cell tower to be constructed near the front on the park entrance / sign near Grand ave.
I saw the sign on park property and initially though it was for a ride, but it is not per the Gurnee village plan commission.
Ignore spelling error- sent via mobile.

Hope it's for T-Mobile, I can never get any reception at the park.
anewman35

Postby FParker185 on July 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm
Ditto, though with that many people in one place, every network is going to be overloaded. When I head out to lunch and check my phone and whatnot, text/voice works just fine, but any Data, forget about it!
FParker185

Postby Foltzy on July 10th, 2015, 11:03 pm
Really?
My phone has always worked fine, including data, anywhere in the park
Foltzy

Postby FParker185 on July 11th, 2015, 6:27 pm
What carrier do you have?
FParker185

Postby Foltzy on July 11th, 2015, 6:28 pm
AT&T
Foltzy

Postby Goku1910 on July 12th, 2015, 5:34 pm
I have T-Mobile and can at least get a signal anywhere in the park except The Dark Knight and Batman's tunnel. I get data reception just fine but the network is so plugged up that it barely works.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 12th, 2015, 6:16 pm
^Same thing with Verizon. I get reception basically everywhere but Batman's tunnel.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby BabyDinosaur on July 12th, 2015, 10:58 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:^Same thing with Verizon. I get reception basically everywhere but Batman's tunnel.

Same situation for me with Sprint
BabyDinosaur

Postby FParker185 on July 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm
Hrmm, time for me to upgrade, but T-mobile is the only carrier that has free international text/data which saves me a ton of money when I'm out of the country. Though my S2 is ancient and doesn't have LTE, gotta upgrade to S5, may fix that issue
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum