Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby FParker185 on September 10th, 2014, 8:23 pm
Also part of it is since it opened so late, many people who get ballots didn't have a chance to ride it before the ballots were due. Personally I voted for Banshee, but it's a close one. Flying turns is good and a lot of fun, but I don't think by any means a top tier ride.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Cryptkeeper on October 26th, 2014, 12:12 am
On Friday, October 24th, the park decided to close Goliath's line 45 or so mins. before park close because it was running one train. The line wasn't even that long, but yet they still went ahead and did it - not a good move considering the park was only open for 6 hours that day.

Honestly though, that didn't surprise me. What did shock me was that, as I was watching people go up to the entrance to try to get on Goliath after the line was apparently closed for the night, multiple groups were turned away...until, that is, someone with flash pass showed up. The ride op at the entrance moved the barricade to allow that group into the line to ride it.

Just...wow.
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby CoasterNick3157 on October 26th, 2014, 12:25 am
Goliath security makes their own rules they don't care if it upsets people. Keep ejecting those line jumpers tho.
CoasterNick3157

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 26th, 2014, 9:32 am
Once, I had to wait over 45 minutes for the single rider line, because according to the grouper, the standard line was "Priority". If there was a group of 3, he checked the standard line down the stairs! :evil: Even if it was all groups of 2, he just left the seat open 75% of the time!

Fricken vile.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby UWW-10 on October 26th, 2014, 10:05 am
Sounds like the park was pretty lackluster with following through with ride policies and procedures on Goliath....you think this was the first time that the park ever opened some record breaking attraction :lol:

I know that the people will still flock to this next year and who knows if the park is going to keep the temporary queue lines up. Sounds like they have some adjustments to make.
UWW-10

Postby RaceBoarder on October 26th, 2014, 11:40 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Once, I had to wait over 45 minutes for the single rider line, because according to the grouper, the standard line was "Priority". If there was a group of 3, he checked the standard line down the stairs! :evil: Even if it was all groups of 2, he just left the seat open 75% of the time!

Fricken vile.

I'll be honest... If that happened to me, I would start being VERY vocal on the platform if they are leaving seats open... I'd also consider taking video on my phone and then marching right down to guest relations and complain to high heaven... Use that as leverage to get something out of that BS... If they can't run the system correctly, turn the system to your advantage...
RaceBoarder

Postby Banky on October 26th, 2014, 11:50 am
i've lost count how many times i've had to go to guest relations this season...........
Banky

Postby DeathbyDinn on October 26th, 2014, 8:19 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Once, I had to wait over 45 minutes for the single rider line, because according to the grouper, the standard line was "Priority". If there was a group of 3, he checked the standard line down the stairs!

Single rider line =/= fast pass. Besides, 45 minutes is still much faster than the regular line.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 26th, 2014, 8:23 pm
^ I meant to say 45 minutes PLUS the 1 1/2 hour temp. queue. Which in that case, was significantly longer than the standard queue.

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Cryptkeeper on October 26th, 2014, 11:13 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Once, I had to wait over 45 minutes for the single rider line, because according to the grouper, the standard line was "Priority". If there was a group of 3, he checked the standard line down the stairs! :evil: Even if it was all groups of 2, he just left the seat open 75% of the time!

I had this happen too! Not only would that happen, BUT the grouper would move people around in the queues to make sure that, if 3 seats were left open, the grouper would make sure that theose 3 seats are in 2 rows next to each other. Then, the grouper would SKIP groups of 2 in the regular line, walking down the line and searching as far as the stairs for groups of 3. Sometimes, this would result in the grouper being so preoccupied that seats would be left empty on the train.

I sent a really long detailed email on this to customer service, telling them that they can do this if they want, but it defeats the purpose of the single rider line if they do, so why have it? The person that replied agreed that the ride op wasn't following policy and said the comment would be forwarded to park operations.

Oh, and to the person above that said security does whatever they want at Goliath, the person that let in the flash pass people into the line after it was closed was a ride-op, not security.

Oh, and speaking of park operations, I was glad to see Bull is still stacking three trains on Friday and has a grouper that is unable to fill the train.

This has to be one of the worst years ever for operations at the park.
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby tp41190 on October 27th, 2014, 9:27 am
^That happened to me as well.

In the end, I was a bad boy and ended up just sneaking into the empty seat with the group of 3 while he was still looking on the stairs. Because he was like a 17 year old kid, he didn't speak up or yell at me.
[read]
tp41190

Postby SFGAm Viper on November 1st, 2014, 7:23 am
The whole single rider line thing was hands down the most frustrating thing this year. I don't know why it is so hard to figure out how to do something correctly and consistent that other parks have done for years with no problem. There were a couple ops that did it right but they were few and far between. Go to Disney or Universal to see how to do it correctly, it's not that hard.

First off, there is absolutely no reason to make singles wait in the overflow queue. The point of the singles line is to fill empty seats. Making people wait in the overflow is stopping them from filling those seats.

Second, never separate groups that waited in the normal queue to fill empty seats. I saw this several times. A mother, for example, would get separated from her two children just so the grouper could avoid pulling from the single rider line.

Third, the searching down the stairs thing is ridiculous. Why have the singles line if you don't want to load those people in? First you make them wait in overflow for no reason, then when they get up there you don't want to load them on. Again, go to Disney. Watch how they do it at Rock N Roller Coaster since that is two across as well. The only issue at Goliath is that there should be a separate line for singles that isn't combined with the flash pass line. However to do that it would have to be something extra to build.

They may have reasons I don't know about but I don't know why this is so hard to do. Other parks don't have any issues with it.
SFGAm Viper

Postby JimPanky on November 1st, 2014, 1:18 pm
Im doing srl now marathoning it and its going great im hearing the wait has been around 90 ive been 15-20
JimPanky

Postby Sharon29060 on November 1st, 2014, 1:41 pm
^ How crowded is the park today?
Sharon29060

Postby JimPanky on November 1st, 2014, 2:23 pm
Decent. Not too crazy but steady.
JimPanky

Postby RaceBoarder on November 1st, 2014, 3:00 pm
JimPanky wrote:Decent. Not too crazy but steady.

Hrm... I was thinking of making the trip up since the wind is supposed to die down later on.... I was worried about it being packed since the sun was out however...
RaceBoarder

Postby JimPanky on November 1st, 2014, 3:02 pm
Its picking up itll get busier when fright fest crowd comes out but should die near midnight because its gona get cold then
JimPanky

Postby w00dland on November 3rd, 2014, 11:25 am
I know I had just complained about this last week, but on Thursday night the park was obviously pretty quiet, and I managed 8 rides on Goliath in about 2 hours total time. Single Rider Queue was being used whenever a party had an odd number of people and I never waited more than 5-10 minutes to ride (usually on in under a minute).

Amazing what happens when there isn't a huge Flash/EAP line!
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby tp41190 on November 3rd, 2014, 11:41 am
^I had a similar experience.

It was a pleasure to wait in all of the coaster lines without FlashPass users. I forgot how fast Raging Bulls line can move (even with 2 trains). It is really only about 20 mins when the line hits the entrance with no switch backs.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Tardis1972 on November 3rd, 2014, 3:36 pm
I llooked at great America on Google earth and noticed it hasn't changed to this season yet. Why is that? It's viewing either the 2012 or 13 season. I've noticed this with other six flags parks as well. It should be changed to the 2014 season and include Goliath.
Tardis1972

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on November 3rd, 2014, 3:45 pm
^ Well, the Google satellite can't update the look of the entire earth constantly. It'll probably update within the next few years or so.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterMike on November 3rd, 2014, 5:52 pm
I wonder if SF will decide to add a permeant queue line next year where the overflow queue was this year. I know operations on Goliath were a bit slow this year but I'm sure next year it will be better.
CoasterMike

Postby CoasterCale on November 3rd, 2014, 6:55 pm
w00dland wrote:I know I had just complained about this last week, but on Thursday night the park was obviously pretty quiet, and I managed 8 rides on Goliath in about 2 hours total time. Single Rider Queue was being used whenever a party had an odd number of people and I never waited more than 5-10 minutes to ride (usually on in under a minute).

Amazing what happens when there isn't a huge Flash/EAP line!

The Grouper can make or break the Single Rider Line.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby UWW-10 on November 3rd, 2014, 7:41 pm
CoasterMike wrote:I wonder if SF will decide to add a permeant queue line next year where the overflow queue was this year. I know operations on Goliath were a bit slow this year but I'm sure next year it will be better.

My guess is that they'll build or modify something but seeing as they probably want to use the railroad station, I doubt a permanent queue will be built in that spot.
UWW-10

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on November 3rd, 2014, 9:15 pm
UWW-10 wrote:
CoasterMike wrote:I wonder if SF will decide to add a permeant queue line next year where the overflow queue was this year. I know operations on Goliath were a bit slow this year but I'm sure next year it will be better.

My guess is that they'll build or modify something but seeing as they probably want to use the railroad station, I doubt a permanent queue will be built in that spot.

Don't know if anyone else noticed but I think they will have to pull the train up further because there is not enough room for passengers to get off towards the back of the train due to Goliath. We will see next season.
Iron Wolf 90-11

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum