Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

CHANG WATCH: The Official Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2009, 5:35 pm
Has anyone read up on this insane rumor, yes rumor on Screamscape?

Great america is the first topic of the day. Well I'll let you read up on it...

http://www.screamscape.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Galvan on September 2nd, 2009, 6:49 pm
Not going to happen.
Galvan

Postby Galvan on September 11th, 2009, 8:02 pm
Galvan

Postby FParker185 on September 11th, 2009, 9:28 pm
http://www.rcdb.com/502.htm?p=452

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p10724.jpg

weird. Convenient too how the Heartlines are roughly the same.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby cousinkid24 on September 12th, 2009, 8:49 am
If by some chance this did happen would you guys be happy, or would you rather have something new and different?

I would be glad that we are at least getting something new.
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I know there are footprints on the moon."
cousinkid24

Postby monsterfan99 on September 12th, 2009, 11:24 am
^ It depends on what gets taken out for it. If Iron Wolf were to go, good as the ride just sucks. However, if Whizzer area or Demon/former SWF area were to go, you have to question if it is worth it.

Even so, the ride is huge and bigger then it looks. You have to wonder if they could even shoehorn it in the Whizzer area or Iron Wolf area without something else going with it.

Now if they were able to put floorless trains on there and give it a Bizzaro type make-over, you got a big winner.
monsterfan99

Postby tp41190 on September 12th, 2009, 5:42 pm
If it were to go anywhere it would be Demon/Splash. Demon is seriously breaking apart with structural cracks. It's getting to the end of it's life.
[read]
tp41190

Postby stockboy300 on September 12th, 2009, 8:20 pm
I just watched it on you tube and the track lay out all most looks the same. :(
stockboy300

Postby Galvan317 on September 12th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Demon is seriously breaking apart with structural cracks. It's getting to the end of it's life.

So is the rest of SFGAm, doesnt mean the park is closing :)
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Chitown on September 12th, 2009, 11:34 pm
I was talking to a couple of people about what Monsterfan pointed out. A possible Bizarro theme with floorless trains. If that happens, it would make sense, and as Galvan said, use the old Chang trains on Iron Wolf.

Now with the coaster itself, it is WAY TO BIG to be put anywhere inside the park. If you have been to SFKK and saw and rode Chang, you know this is a HUGE coaster. The only way this coaster would be put into SFGAm, is to extend it into the parking lot. Thinking that it would be placed in the go-kart and SSA spot and extend into the parking lot next to Hurricane Harbor. That is the only option unless they remove a bunch of stuff in the park. This coaster will not fit in the Demon/SWF footprint.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 13th, 2009, 9:09 am
I think it would fit in the Splash Water Falls, Antique cars area, Southwest Ampitheatre, and possibly Dare Devil Dive. That's a lot of space.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Chitown on September 13th, 2009, 10:11 am
^Why would they remove the Ampitheatre? They hold concerts there.
Chitown

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 13th, 2009, 11:38 am
You have Wilderness Theatre doing diddly nothing over the years. For some concerts before, they would have them in Hometown Square stage in front of the train. Why not have concerts in the Grand Music Hall also? They have music in there, why not a concert also?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby BrianPlencner on September 13th, 2009, 12:18 pm
According to RCDB, Chang is 154 Feet Tall, with a 144 foot first drop. One thing that must happen before this rumor will come true is that the park will be applying for a height variance to put it in. As most of you know, anything over 125 feet has to have a height variance to be built at the park.

The last 3 zoning board of appeals meetings have been canceled, due to lack of business, and this includes the one scheduled for Sept 23rd. Knowing that the park needs approval from the ZBOA first, and then a final approval by the Village Board, the chances of this taking place for 2010 are slim to none. However, there is time to put things in place for a 2011 opening of this ride at our park.

I'm on the mailing list for the meeting agenda's, which usually go out about 2 weeks before the meeting takes place. When/If there is an agenda item from the park asking for a height variance, I will of course pass that information.

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby tp41190 on September 13th, 2009, 1:32 pm
I think its funny though, ever since the Tumbleweed rumor everytime there is a rumor its always "not next year but the following". So lets see, in 2007 the rumor was that we were going to be getting a dive coaster in 09 :lol: Then last year, it was "a new coaster for 2010"...ugh.

Although, rumors are what makes this board fun this time of year.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Chitown on September 13th, 2009, 1:43 pm
^This rumor makes much more sense than a Dive Machine. A new dive machine is ultra expensive.

Relocating Chang makes sense because they are in the process of turning that whole side of SFKK into waterpark.
Chitown

Postby RemoveShapiro,NotVu on September 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm
If this were to happen, does SFKK have any decent coasters left? Seems like a bad deal for them.
RemoveShapiro,NotVu

Postby monsterfan99 on September 13th, 2009, 10:35 pm
RemoveShapiro,NotVu wrote:If this were to happen, does SFKK have any decent coasters left? Seems like a bad deal for them.

Greezed Lightin' is a good coaster and with new trains Thunder Run could be great. Outside of those you have the beyond awful T2, a mirror image of The Dark Knight outside and a kiddie coaster.

The park is honestly better without the amusement park side. With Superman incident, Twisted Twins (and that entire area) just rotting in public view (it is along a public street) and nothing new in years, the public has no reason to go. The concerts seem to get the people there, but the goal is getting them there without gimmicks.

Right now Chang is out of place. Chang would be a nice number 2-3 steal coaster at a park, but fails as a headliner. The idea you build your park's rides around a ride that is a gimmick was just stupid then and is stupid now. At this point they could throw a Giga, new woodie and quite a few thrilling flats and I am not sure anyone would go.
monsterfan99

Postby monsterfan99 on September 13th, 2009, 10:49 pm
The latest from Screamscape

The latest update on the whole rumor about moving Chang from SFKK to SFGAm confirms that the project is still alive and well, though there are a few hurdles to be mounted before it’s confirmed. Location is a factor at SFGAm of course, though previously I had thought that Iron Wolf may be taken out, the latest rumors seem to indicate that for at least the 2011 season, the park may actually keep and run BOTH stand-up coasters. The other big obsticle to this idea may actually come from Kentucky, as apparently I’ve heard that Six Flags has some kind of agreement with the city of Louisville that they do have to do a certain dollar amount of improvements to the park every year. Removing a large price-tag ride like Chang would put them into the negative very quickly, so the city would have to given an ok to the plan to remove Chang as well, in exchange for the promise of that huge waterpark expansion that is supposed to replace it.

This is beyond stupid if they plan to keep both stand-ups going at the same time. If they change Chang to a floorless then fine. But please tell me this park is not this stupid and did not learn from the Dark Knight.

This, however, does look like the beginning of the end of the Kentucky Kingdom amusement park in an official way if the state/city signs off on this. If that is the case, if you want to hit the park go next year. If grouped with Beech Bend, it is a great way to spend a weekend.
monsterfan99

Postby Goku1910 on September 14th, 2009, 8:36 am
The ScreamScape rumor mill has been updated concerning this topic:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_fla ... merica.htm

^Nevermind Monsterfan99 Beat me to it :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Paradise on September 15th, 2009, 8:38 am
No way would we run 2 stand up coasters.
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby monsterfan99 on September 15th, 2009, 9:26 am
The latest Chang rumor from Screamscape

(9/15/09) While we may not see Chang show up in the Chicago area until 2011, one rumor is going around claiming that the coaster may be removed this winter. Sounds like they could be sending it off for a little rehab work if true. The problem with that rumor however is that it requires money to tear down the coaster, and Six Flags is still going through the bankruptcy process and really can’t approve any big project until they come out the other side, so I have doubts this will happen until next year.
monsterfan99

Postby Jackluver18 on September 15th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Where would it go if we did get it? I don't think there is room in SWF spot
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby tp41190 on September 15th, 2009, 4:57 pm
^No, but there is in SWFs and Demons spot.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Goku1910 on September 15th, 2009, 5:03 pm
^Don't forget the rumor about Dare Devel Dive getting moved to a different area of the park. That would free up a lot of space.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum