Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Opening Day 5/4...Back Row Day!

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby EmmaEagle on May 5th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Yesterday, my older sister and I headed to the park. We got there a little after 10 and waited about 15 minutes in line to park. As we were waiting, we could see Bull's station, and we saw a guy and girl in uniform walking up the stairs. The guy looked over, saw all of us waiting and looking at him, and waved and smiled. I could tell that he was psyched for opening day and for the Bull...it got me excited in turn! Kudos to that guy for being enthusiastic about the park and the guests. :)
I had gotten a parking pass for the first time, and I wondered why I didn't get one when I first started getting season passes 7 years ago! So convenient. We parked extremely close and walked up just as the national anthem was ending. We waited for 15 minutes or so to get in after walking through security. Security was nice. I think the separate metal detectors, followed by the bag checkers, followed by the ticket checkers seemed to work out well.
Raging Bull was first on our list! We got the third ride of the season, back row. It was amazing! We went on it again and only waited about 5 minutes for another back row ride.
We decided to head for X-Flight next, since we figured the earlier we got on it and alluded the lines the better, considering it's still so new. Good plan...we waited 20 minutes for back row, left side, and when we walked by the ride a couple hours later, the line was stretched out almost to D's corkscrew. Yikes!
The weather was gorgeous. There had been a chance of rain, but it never came. Unfortunately, the short waits ended at X-Flight...:P At least the weather made waiting more enjoyable.
We decided to make our way towards the entrance to ride Whizzer, but the line made us pass it by, so we stopped in Martha's so I could get a sports bottle. The cash register was NOT working and kept freezing. The workers were very nice and apologetic, even though it wasn't their fault, and one girl took my sports bottle (that I'd drunk about half of) and filled it up for me. It was great! I felt for them, though.
Then, we did my favorite flat, Triple Play. 5 minute wait. And here's my biggest complaint of the day: TP's ride operator. He must have new, because he had no clue how to work the system. No one was there to help him, and he had to keep unlocking the restraints so people could get in. The ride before us, he couldn't figure out how to even start the ride. He also was VERY slow in checking their restraints...he did not speak at all to tell people to enjoy the ride. :roll: The worst part was when my sister and I got on, and he started the ride without even checking ANY of the restraints. Okay, I know this is just Triple Play, and it wouldn't be that easy to fall out, but still. I felt unsafe.
Anyways. At this point, it was 12:45 or so. We decided we weren't too hungry yet and headed to Viper. We played 20 questions to make the 45 minute wait go faster. I loved the flower bushes that they added to V's line! It looked and smelled amazing...even if it did attract bees. lol. We had an amazing ride in the back row.
We did Revolution, which was a five minute wait. Love the g's on this ride. I actually prefer it to the one at CP, even though that one goes upside down. The g's are waaaay better.
AE was next. One hour wait, back row, red side. Blue side wasn't running. AWESOME ride...I love this thing!
Then, we were hungry. We left the park, got some Taco Bell, and got back around 5 pm. The line for Pass Processing had been pretty terrible all day and we kept putting it off, but I wanted to make sure we got on Batman (who knew how long the line would be?) so we stuck it out. Actually, it was only half an hour. It just looked awful since it stretched almost to the Carousel. Not too bad, though.
We headed to Batman next. The line was an hour and a half, which isn't so awful considering they were only running one train. >.< Can anyone tell me: was that the plan all along? I guess it's my fault for not doing that research.
The ride, however, made up for it. I LOVED it. Batman was my first favorite ride at the park, and going on it backwards was an awesome experience. The g's that I felt when we looped wasn't anything I'd felt before. It was epic! I will definitely ride this again (hopefully a couple more times!) before it ends. Another thing: this one girl, who always stands by the tunnel to the batcave (I remember her from past seasons, too) was VERY enthusiastic about the ride and getting everyone riled up. It was great!
It was 7:55 once we were done. I wanted to get one more thing while we could. Superman was roped off, but the guy outside of TDK smiled and nodded at us when we started walking over. Hehe. 5 minute wait for back row - not that it really matters. :P But we had to keep up the pattern. I'm a back row girl for sure!
I actually really like TDK. I like it the same way I like Whizzer: not the most thrilling thing ever, but still really enjoyable. As long as I don't have to wait more than 20 mins, I love it! The ride operators let the group in front of us go twice, and when I looked at him, he just smiled and said "go ahead." Sweet!

All in day, it was an amazing day. Things did seem to be running slow, but that's understandable for opening day. The long lines were fine because the weather was perfection. The employees were nice and apologetic when the lines were dragging or the machines were giving them trouble. I can't wait for the rest of the 2013 season!

Thanks for reading :)
EmmaEagle

Return to Trip Reports