Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Cheetah Hunt opening day May 27

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Galvan317 on May 27th, 2011, 6:53 pm
We decided to get to the park really early just to do it, these are some people camped out and ready to ride at about 6:45

Didnt take long for more people to show up

Crowds eagerly wait for the park, and new coaster, to open

A news crew was there filming the crowd, everyone was pumped!

We were joking with some people that since it's made by Intamin it would not open on time. Of course, we were right. We get to the ride and the staff there informs us that the ride is having technical difficulties and they hope to have it open later in the afternoon, surprise! That huge crowd that was electric with anticipation just a few minutes ago turned into an angry mob very quickly.

This guy with a fan made B&M shirt and a B&M hat was not hesitant to constantly yell what he thought of Busch Gardens, their staff, and Intamin. Eventually people had started to get really annoyed with him and told him off.

The crowd that ran to Cheetah Hunt first thing to find out that it's closed. We waited for maybe 30 minutes and the ride was making no progress, the ride was pretty much dead so we went to Montu to see a completely full queue and 60 minute wait posted. Skipped that and went around and did the other coasters in the park.

No thanks, moving on here

Not operating

Really wanted to try this out so we waited in line

One side operation on a very busy day and the same day a new coaster opens

These peoples t-shirts say they were hopping out of here, and they were hopping out of line!
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Galvan317 on May 27th, 2011, 7:06 pm

With one side operation and extremely slow load times, Gwazi's line was not the highlight of my day. 90 degrees / FL humidity + no fans + extremely loud middle school school groups everywhere = :(

1 1/2 hours later we were on the ride

A very nice looking train. Would look even nicer if it was operating!

Found it kind of funny these kids unknowingly had Arrow shuttle loops on their shirts

The girl in the pink got startled by a butterfly and gotup and threw her soda (that had no lid) at it! Really, what is wrong with these kids?

At around 1:45pm Cheetah Hunt had started to cycle and lines formed quickly

It was pretty long
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Galvan317 on May 27th, 2011, 7:23 pm
By this time they had started handing out free bottles of water to those waiting in line

It's alive!

The crowd cheered loudly as the ride opened, much excitment

The queue/station is huge and in the skyride building which they added some details and props to

After opening about 4 1/2 hours late, the ride operated for maybe 15 minutes before it broke down

Sandor (the president of Intamin) was patrolling the platform trying to resolve any issues that were hapenning with the ride, and believe me there were a LOT

So after that, the ride re-opened, operated for about 10 minutes, then broke down again

This exact same scenario hapenned to me in 07 in line for Maverick where I was in the queue house and it was constantly breaking down

It re-opened again, operated for about ten minutes, then broke down AGAIN for about a half hour

Almost there, upper level of the queue

Eventually it re-opened, we were about to get on the next train, and it broke down AGAIN! Heres another picture of Sandor watching from above.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Galvan317 on May 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm
At this point I ran out of battery because I took more video than I expected to. Eventually we got on the ride and to be honest it was very dissapointing. I wasn't expecting it to be a top 20 or anything, but I went in with low expectations that were not met. The first launch felt about the same speed as Pony Express at Knotts Berry Farm's launch, and the turn out of the launch into the first tunnell was just boring. The second launch into the tower was decent, then the ride once again looses all steam at the top of the tower and becomes like a kids coaster. The elements and turns were super-slow, even the S curve portion had little to no intensity (it's true, Maverick puts it to shame). The whole ride I was thinking to myself "wow I really hope this picks up speed" and after the third launch, also pretty weak, I had given up hope. We coasted through the rest of the circut and into the brakes and we all looked at eachother with similar dissapointed looks.

By no means am I the guy complains about everything, I love all kinds of coasters, but Cheetah Hunt is just not a very good coaster. The ride is supposed to be themed around speed but it is just slow. It looks fantastic, the area is themed very well and the ride is well placed, but all five people that I was with agreed that the ride was lame and the car ride back was almost silent.

Also on a random note, one of the songs thats played in Cheetah Hunts queue is part of Disney's Adventureland BGM loop. I don't know if they did this to be funny or if they thought it sounded good, but it was clearly this exact song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoibEsn ... 2E345A2CA8
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Paradise on May 27th, 2011, 11:23 pm
Is it me or is just about EVERYONE wearing blue in picture 3? LOL
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby rb1 on May 29th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Wow they should've went with B&M. Awesome pics sorry about the long wait it look like you had a great day even with the long wait , extreme heat and crowds.
rb1

Postby wishman35 on May 29th, 2011, 4:34 pm
I am going to Sarasota next week and just bought a couple of cheaper tickets to Busch Gardens so that I can do something OTHER than lay on the beach for 7 days.

The heat might suck, but I plan to hit it on a Monday/Tuesday which i hear are typically the slowest days?

Might even hit up the $30 all you can eat/drink to take advantage of water bottles and food
wishman35

Postby Director_Guy on May 31st, 2011, 1:00 pm
Wow. Sounds like a horrible day at the park.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby FParker185 on June 1st, 2011, 11:17 am
Sandor sez.... "Don't worry, this is normal"
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Galvan317 on June 2nd, 2011, 5:31 pm
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby MrRy10 on June 2nd, 2011, 8:57 pm

Very nice video :D
And one question why did the ride keep breaking down over and over?
SFGA
DeJavu Last ride ever Row 8B Right Side

R.I.P Dejavu

2006 Trip Vists:41
2007 Trip Visits:37
2008 Trip Visits:22
2009 Trip Visits:15
2010 Trip Visits:2
2011 Trip Visits:3
MrRy10

Postby monsterfan99 on June 3rd, 2011, 12:06 pm
^Busch Gardens rep on Facebook was saying sensors. Is that true or not is unknown.
monsterfan99

Postby tribar on June 3rd, 2011, 11:02 pm
MrRy10 wrote:

Very nice video :D
And one question why did the ride keep breaking down over and over?

Cause it's got a bad case of intaminitis :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tribar

Postby Galvan317 on June 3rd, 2011, 11:09 pm
It looked like Busch went the typical "ride is not ready to open but it's memorial weekend and we need it running so open it anyway" route. The ride was clearly not ready to sustain full capacity operation on opening day, they were probably running only 2 trains on media day which is how it was running consistently. You can pour money into the construction of the theming and queue as fast as you want to have it ready for opening day, but there is no substitute for lots and lots of testing and adjusting before the ride opens. They were working on it all morning then when it finally came time start cycling full trains it just couldn't do it witout constantly having to bring the ride down to fix issues that were coming up. When it comes to operating rides with multiple launches and that many trains it takes time to test and adjust the sensors and PLCs to get everything working properly. When I was at CP in 07 Maverick was having the same deal and kept going down over and over and over again. Hopefully they have/had a third shift programing and testing team constantly trying to hammer out these issues, otherwise it's going to be a long summer. If that rides not ready to go on its scheduled opening day (memorial weekend in most cases) then the park has to decide whether or not to delay the opening and miss potentially large crowds, or risk having the ride going down a lot. When TDK opened at SFGAm (memorial weekend) it was not ready for full capacity operation so it didn't operate at full capacity up until Mack came back and worked on the ride some more later that year. Another example of that is Hollywood Rockit, that ride was definitely not ready to open but it was taking so long to get it operating properly that Universal felt they had no choice but to open it anyway. It's operation was so inneficient the first few months it was open that they closed it during Horror Nights even though it was their new ride. When the deadlines are set and there is some sort of construction delay or hiccup in testing, then sometimes the operational end doesn't line up with the business end. That's when you can tell that Busch are rookies to the whole Intamin thing, they shouldve known you have to start constructing and testing the ride way earlier than a normal ride in order to have it ready for opening day :). Just look at Maverick, that ride was almost entirely built the season before it opened and it still was not ready on time.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby [jonrev] on June 6th, 2011, 3:42 am

Heh... reminded me of Dark Knight's opening day, with a longer stampede.
[jonrev]

Postby Chitown on June 10th, 2011, 10:33 am
BP/19 wrote:It looked like Busch went the typical "ride is not ready to open but it's memorial weekend and we need it running so open it anyway" route. The ride was clearly not ready to sustain full capacity operation on opening day, they were probably running only 2 trains on media day which is how it was running consistently. You can pour money into the construction of the theming and queue as fast as you want to have it ready for opening day, but there is no substitute for lots and lots of testing and adjusting before the ride opens. They were working on it all morning then when it finally came time start cycling full trains it just couldn't do it witout constantly having to bring the ride down to fix issues that were coming up. When it comes to operating rides with multiple launches and that many trains it takes time to test and adjust the sensors and PLCs to get everything working properly. When I was at CP in 07 Maverick was having the same deal and kept going down over and over and over again. Hopefully they have/had a third shift programing and testing team constantly trying to hammer out these issues, otherwise it's going to be a long summer. If that rides not ready to go on its scheduled opening day (memorial weekend in most cases) then the park has to decide whether or not to delay the opening and miss potentially large crowds, or risk having the ride going down a lot. When TDK opened at SFGAm (memorial weekend) it was not ready for full capacity operation so it didn't operate at full capacity up until Mack came back and worked on the ride some more later that year. Another example of that is Hollywood Rockit, that ride was definitely not ready to open but it was taking so long to get it operating properly that Universal felt they had no choice but to open it anyway. It's operation was so inneficient the first few months it was open that they closed it during Horror Nights even though it was their new ride. When the deadlines are set and there is some sort of construction delay or hiccup in testing, then sometimes the operational end doesn't line up with the business end. That's when you can tell that Busch are rookies to the whole Intamin thing, they shouldve known you have to start constructing and testing the ride way earlier than a normal ride in order to have it ready for opening day :). Just look at Maverick, that ride was almost entirely built the season before it opened and it still was not ready on time.

Seriously Brad? I know you are better than this. Split the paragraphs!!!!
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby wishman35 on June 12th, 2011, 6:52 am
Went to Busch Gardens this past Tuesday. Good times, lines on most rides were non existant EXCEPT Cheetah Hunt. Wait was around 50 minutes all day.

I am sorry, but I didn't want to wait for the ride. It just looked slow and kind of uninspired. After riding (and being able to reride all day) Sheikra, Montu, and Kumba -- I was impressed with the couple of coasters BG had, but this one just looked like a stinker.

The launches are slow, the ride looks like it loses steam in that strange turnabout at the top and looks like a much slower, barely inverted version of Maverick.

I know its probably not intended to be the ultimate thrill seeking ride but being advertised as, as fast as a cheetah? Cmon
wishman35

Postby CoasterNick3157 on June 13th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Just looking at the pov on you tube it sucks.
CoasterNick3157

Return to Trip Reports