Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 5/15/11: Empty!

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby RBullFan97 on May 16th, 2011, 6:47 am
Okay, so this was my second trip to Great America for this season. With the forecast of wind, rain, and temperatures in the high 40s, plus the simple fact that it was a Sunday, I knew from the start it would not be a very busy day. But it was just not a busy day: it was a ghosttown!
I arrived around 1:20 through the Washington St. Entrance, where there were about 2-3 cars in line with one side open. When we turned the corner, the front parking lot was barely even a third full. My Dad and I started off by going east to Superman, with about a 10 minute wait with the one train. Then we hit the Dark Knight, also a 10 minute wait without the preshow. Since my dad didn't want to go on Ragin' Cajun, I took the single rider line that had no people in it. It was funny walking right past everyone in the regular line saying "Dang, that kid has no line!" :lol: Paraphrasing.
After I hit the no-wait East River Crawler, I decided to go on Batman. Okay, this is where the day gets exciting. With the exception of front row, the station was empty! I managed to get 4 in row on Batman by row-hopping. Then, I did Batman again front row. We rode V2 which was about 5 minutes, and went on Little Dipper 4 times in a row! The Go-Karts are actually now finished and there were actually a lot of people on it, more than I ever saw in its old location. Then, I went on Spacely's Sprocket Rockets twice in a row to respect my roots. Fiddler's Fling was done once, and immediately after that Iron Wolf twice in a row. Only wait was for front row in the station. I got right on Revolution, and afterwards we went to the County Fair Food Court for dinner. Everyone seems to not really like this new pizza from Famous Famiglia, but I don't see what's wrong with it. It tastes good enough for me. While sitting down there, I was quite impressed that my dad could name some of the Marriot themed music in County Fair, like "Honeysuckle Rose" and "Tootsie, Tootsie, Goodbye". It was great entertainment.
To celebrate its 30th year, we went on American Eagle, Blue side open only, one train. :| I saw the line earlier and it was all the way up the stairs, but this time the wait was just in the station. Oh, this was also when I found out the park would be closing at 6:00, not 8:00, dissapointing, but oh well. When there are no crowds, they'll do this. Nevertheless still an awesome ride, but tied with Superman and the Dark Knight for the longest waits of the day at 10 minutes. 8) Demon was ridden twice in a row on the clown car, and then I entered Southwest Territory. River Rocker and Ricochet both were walk-ons and I went on those, and then the climax of the day. My dad and I rode Raging Bull 4 times in a row! Once in front row, once in row 5, and twice in row 7. It couldn't get any better than that! Who would have ever thought. By this time, it was 5:45, and decided to end the day with twice in a row on the Whizzer.
Well, you can do the math, but that's 31 rides in one day, shattering my old record of 23 in a day from last year in September. I went on all coasters except for the Viper. There was also an ad up for Screams and Dreams, the new show in the Pictorium featuring the park's history coming late May. When exiting, I said to myself, "What a day, What a place. What a smile on my face!" :mrgreen:
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby ragingbull1331 on May 16th, 2011, 7:00 am
I wish I went sunday, I hope there's another one of these empty days coming up.
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Postby Jackluver18 on May 16th, 2011, 2:24 pm
I went Sunday too and got a total of 32 rides in....riding DK 9 times in a row
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Cole on May 16th, 2011, 3:01 pm
Jackluver18 wrote:I went Sunday too and got a total of 32 rides in....riding DK 9 times in a row

Dang man. Just beats my record of 8!

-Cole
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Jackluver18 on May 16th, 2011, 4:09 pm
lol. My friend and I did 8 in a row Saturday and then I did 9 in a row Sunday. Viper's station was empty closer to park closing and I got 4 rides there. I need to find my totals from Saturday and then I'll make my trip report
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby RBullFan97 on May 16th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Jackluver18 wrote:I went Sunday too and got a total of 32 rides in....riding DK 9 times in a row

OH! That was you! Remember, I was the person on the Dark Knight in front of you who said you were a big Batman fan. So am I. 8) And dang, you beat my total day count by 1 ride. :wink:

EDIT: Forget to mention in the trip report, the Whizzer is now covered in Kraft Ads! Just leave this coaster alone! But Oh Well, I'd take the Krafty Whizzer any day over Smurfs:The Ride.
RBullFan97

Postby tribar on May 16th, 2011, 7:31 pm
RBullFan97 wrote: with about a 10 minute wait with the one train

Are you sure :?: :?: :?:
S:UF had two trains running when i rode it about an hour and a half earlier than you. Maybe they took that train off or something
tribar

Postby RBullFan97 on May 16th, 2011, 8:32 pm
tribar wrote:

S:UF had two trains running when i rode it about an hour and a half earlier than you. Maybe they took that train off or something

I am 100% certain that I saw the 2nd train in the blue maintenance building. They must have taken the second train off in that time for whatever reason, then.
RBullFan97

Postby tribar on May 16th, 2011, 8:47 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:
tribar wrote:

I am 100% certain that I saw the 2nd train in the blue maintenance building. They must have taken the second train off in that time for whatever reason, then.

They mush have then :roll:
tribar

Postby 6Flags4Evr on May 16th, 2011, 9:18 pm
I was there on Saturday but not Sunday. I was planning to go on Sunday as well but woke up with a cold that morning from being at the park all day Saturday :lol: . Crowds were not that bad on Saturday. Longest I waited was for Superman Front Row and that only took about half an hour. If it wern't for all the buses there that day, the park would have been DEAD.
Can't live without Coasters!!!
6Flags4Evr

Postby tribar on May 16th, 2011, 9:25 pm
That's good
THe park's alot emptier w/o those $19.81 tickets
tribar

Postby Jackluver18 on May 16th, 2011, 11:53 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:

OH! That was you! Remember, I was the person on the Dark Knight in front of you who said you were a big Batman fan. So am I. 8) And dang, you beat my total day count by 1 ride. :wink:

EDIT: Forget to mention in the trip report, the Whizzer is now covered in Kraft Ads! Just leave this coaster alone! But Oh Well, I'd take the Krafty Whizzer any day over Smurfs:The Ride.

Lol that's awesome, I do remember that and yes I am a very big Batman fan :)
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby RBullFan97 on May 17th, 2011, 6:08 am
6Flags4Evr wrote:I was there on Saturday but not Sunday. I was planning to go on Sunday as well but woke up with a cold that morning from being at the park all day Saturday :lol: . Crowds were not that bad on Saturday. Longest I waited was for Superman Front Row and that only took about half an hour. If it wern't for all the buses there that day, the park would have been DEAD.

I was quite shocked with opening day crowds, so it is nice to hear we are getting a lot of these slow days, but those darn buses!
And to Jackluver, gotta love Gotham's Dark Knight! :twisted:
RBullFan97

Postby Jackluver18 on May 17th, 2011, 10:16 am
lol yeah you have to. I noticed the new audio that they have right before the clowns. I can't really hear what it says though
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby RBullFan97 on May 17th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Jackluver18 wrote:lol yeah you have to. I noticed the new audio that they have right before the clowns. I can't really hear what it says though

I think I'll be going on the Dark Knight a lot more this year. Really liked the Dark Knight logo that appears on the wall at the end of the ride. Pretty sweet. :twisted:
RBullFan97

Postby Jackluver18 on May 18th, 2011, 2:06 pm
Yeah I think I might be going on it more often too
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on May 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm
I was there Sunday as well, was amazing. I got on every coaster at least once, Bull 9 times. I enjoyed it very much. I really miss the park right now, can't wait to go back.
DejaVuGurl1203

Return to Trip Reports