Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Thorpe Park and Chessington World of Adventures. 3/18 + 19

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby w00dland on March 20th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen.

One of the best parts of my job is the travel, and this past week I was in the UK for training. The weather was actually pretty nice all week, and I was lucky enough to visit Thorpe Park and Chessington World of Adventures in the suburbs of London. As you will see from the pictures, the weather at Thorpe was total crap, but the next day was beyond perfect.

Little background: Thorpe is dubbed as England's thrill capital, as most of its investments in the past 6-8 years have been thrill based, and Chessington is more of a family park, sporting a zoo for families to walk through as well.

On to the pictures. Hope to curb your offseason a bit before SFGAm opens for ya'll again:

Welcome to Thorpe! The park is surrounded pretty much by water, and you need to walk over a bridge to get into the park after the admissions booths.

Thorpe sports Nemesis: Inferno. A B&M invert which once sent an entire train of naked people through its course. Go ahead kids, google it and see the boobies.

Despite the weather being crap, all the water rides were running, and usually had people on them. Keep in mind it was about 4 degrees C outside and raining. What's that I spot in the background?

Stealth: Basically Kindga Ka after you subtract 250 feet and 40 mph. Has the tophat and hill afterwards. With lines what they were, we did this a few times during the day. It was flying over the tophat (probably revved it up since they were running in the rain) which proved thrilling.

Friends thought it'd be a great idea to take a spin on the "new" water ride, which was transplanted from Cypress Gardens. Looked fun, but not when I'm already freezing. I enjoyed taking the pictures.

YAY!

It's right before I took this picture when I think they realized how awful of an idea that actually was. Not that it mattered much in the end, because within 2 hours we were all soaked anyway. Fun side note: I thought it was interesting that Thorpe ran every ride in the steady rain with multiple train operation. I know coasters can run in the rain, but you see lots of parks in the US close certain coasters in the rain that Thorpe kept running, especially Stealth and Nemesis. I did get peed on with rust going up Nemesis' lift though.

MOVING ON

Nemesis was a solid coaster. Thought it was similar to BTR but a little longer. Not the end all be all of inverts, but certainly not a bad coaster either.

My god, these donuts were the greatest thing I ate all week. They were still gooey on the inside, and to eat that when you are freezing cold was glorious. Pure glory. I felt like a Spartan after.

Refueled after donuts!

side note: you should eat more than donuts for lunch. this was a mistake when dinner rolled around.

What?

Well hello there.

Colossus sports ten inversions. You may have heard of it before.

I'm going to be honest here, the other 3 I was with loved this ride, but I thought it was awful. May have just been the seat I was in, but I got the hell beat out of me. Violent headbanging throughout, to the point where Iron Wolf looked tame. I happen to think I don't mind rough roller coasters very much either. I even thought Manhattan Express in Las Vegas wasn't that bad (boring, but not awfully rough), but Colossus was awful. The only part I enjoyed was the 4 rolls in a row, and that's because it was going slow enough where I could keep my head in one place.

Fun.

The park also had a screamin swing, along with a few other big flats that pack quite the punch. So while they only have 7 coasters, they have enough big rides to fit a whole day in.

Ahh, a Eurofighter to save my day.

Say what you may about the theme, but I thought Saw was incredible. The theming was really good from the queue to the beginning of the lift. The ride had a pre-lift portion I didn't even know about, so after looking at the creepy puppet from Saw talk to us suddenly there was a 90 degree drop and a roll before the lift. There was interactive stuff in the queue, and even a freaking haunted house attached to the ride. For being free, it beats the pants off any of the haunted houses Six Flags puts up during Fright Fest. Loved it all.

So that was Thorpe. Once we got back to the hotel there was a brilliant sunset and all. Packed and crashed for the night.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby w00dland on March 20th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Day Two: Chessington World of Adventures

Chessington wasn't technically open yet, but there was a friends and family preview day, and since half the people I worked with during the week are based in Chessington, it was easy to secure some tickets. This will be pretty short, as I was only there for an hour and a half before rushing back to Heathrow to catch a 3PM flight back to LAX. Weather was perfect, and lines were nonexistent.

The bird was Pricilla, and she came from Australia. Notice the beak, she dives at her prey to kill them. Pretty BA for a little bird. Also thought it was nice that the park had a few of these zookeepers walking around before the park opened to keep the people in the queues happy and interested.

Even without leafs on the trees, Chessington is a beautiful park.

Vampire is one of the bigger rides here. Its an old Arrow Suspended coaster that sports some newer Vekoma trains. It's no Big Bad Wolf, but its still a lot of fun to dart through the trees and even some park paths.

Closed to begin with, that made me sad. Tested for about an hour in the morning, then opened at 11.

Dragon's Fury is a really fun little coaster as well. Its quick with lots of hills and twists. Plus you spin the whole time.

Notice which supports were painted last?

Mom, I'm only 1.1m!

The new Wild Asia section of the park was very well done.

It also had a Zamperla Disko, which I found to be quite enjoyable as everyone was screaming and the ride ops were getting into it as well. Nice to have some ops on their first couple days of work, the customer service we got at both Thorpe and Chessington was beyond fantastic. Some of the best service I've had next to Dollywood.

Always do the bumper cars wherever I go.

Never do the swings. I'll throw up.

Checked back on Vampire, nothing.

Went on something called Bubbleworks while waiting. It was a lot like A Small World at MK. Good for the kids, but there was also a really cool room where your boat went under bridges made of water.

But it was dark, and all I had was a point and shoot camera, so it was really hard to take a picture of.

Then Vampire opened like 15 minutes before I needed to leave!

Since most of the ride takes place in the woods, its tough to get a good picture of. It's got a really nice queue though and a great station which plays this rock-organ music.

At this point I had to leave. It was pretty tough to leave after a week. Got a few really good friends over there, and the way of life is something I enjoy as well. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be living there.
w00dland

Postby Cole on March 22nd, 2011, 5:35 pm
Thanks for sharing! Thorpe looks really fun!
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby FParker185 on March 23rd, 2011, 3:46 am
Both parks look vastly different from when I was at each back in 2002. Looks like another trip to the UK is in my future. Maybe within the next 5 years or so.

Colossus was really smooth back in 02 though, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Director_Guy on March 23rd, 2011, 6:30 am
Great TR! You've reminded me of a world of overseas parks I can visit without learning another language.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby FParker185 on March 23rd, 2011, 2:34 pm
Actually you'd be surprised. I couldn't even order food at McDonalds without serious communication issues in England. I swear that's not english they speak, they may write in English, but speak... not even close.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby w00dland on March 24th, 2011, 12:36 am
It does take a good day or two to get used to the dialect over in England, and they use some words you've never heard of before. One of my favorites being "cafuffle"
w00dland

Return to Trip Reports