Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

BREAKING NEWS: COLOSSUS ON FIRE

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Viper 88 on September 8th, 2014, 4:06 pm
A fire has broken out on Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain, story should be on ABC7 Chicago, as of the 4pm news cast it was put out, but there was significant damage resulting in total destruction of that piece of track. The fire was put out but its still steaming.
Viper 88

Postby skibum101184 on September 8th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Also saw a photo on Facebook of when it was on fire. It looked pretty big and the flames looked quite tall. The Coaster Guy (Kurt, who heavily covers SFMM) posted pictures the yesterday of his first Twisted Colossus Construction Update. On the lift hill, you'll see that RMC (or whoever is helping with the de-construction) seemed to be using torches to remove the track on the lift hill. My wager would be that's how the fire started.

You can check out the burned sections of track at this link, it's almost half-way down the page.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/2014/09/07 ... -update-1/
skibum101184

Postby w00dland on September 8th, 2014, 6:21 pm
RMC is managing a much better batting average on starting fires so far this year than anyone on my Milwaukee Brewers.

They make great coasters, but this is a major, inexcusable accident that is going to cost both the chain and RMC $$$.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby w00dland on September 9th, 2014, 3:18 pm
Just as a follow up - the people who are writing this off as a "small accident" because the ride was under construction couldn't be anymore wrong. The public perceives this as the park literally burning down the top of its most iconic roller coaster. The symbolism and damage to the entire brand must just be awful.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby sfgam-fan on September 9th, 2014, 5:26 pm
I think some people are over-reacting.

If the fire occurred during normal ride operations with guests on the lift hill that's one thing.

This happened during construction, while the ride and the whole park were closed, seemingly as a result of using torches to remove the metal track. The use of heat to remove metal from a wooden coaster sounds suspect, but whether you torch it or saw it, you're going to create heat. One of the welders was probably a bit sloppy with his work.

Is it a set back? Yes. But not a serious one. Most people understand the difference between construction and operations.
sfgam-fan

Postby [jonrev] on September 26th, 2014, 4:28 am
sfgam-fan wrote:I think some people are over-reacting.

They are, but in a season already plagued by incidents at theme parks, the media now can't wait to sensationalize the next time a ride operator farts.

They should've let Colossus burn - that ride was way-beyond terrible.
[jonrev]

Postby Director_Guy on September 28th, 2014, 8:30 pm
^Maybe the SoCal woodies have lowered my standards, but I didn't think Colossus to be any worse than Mean Streak or Ghostrider, and certainly not Psychlone. It was rough, but I never wanted my money back.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby [jonrev] on September 28th, 2014, 10:03 pm
I'm sure it was better without the B&M bathtubs. I never understood the hate Mean Streak gets, though - it's no worse than any other Cedar Fair woodie (that isn't Beast or GoldStriker).
[jonrev]

Postby FParker185 on September 28th, 2014, 10:28 pm
Yeah, with the Morgans, Colossus was pretty much butter smooth but terribly boring.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby CoasterCale on September 29th, 2014, 9:56 pm
[jonrev] wrote:I'm sure it was better without the B&M bathtubs. I never understood the hate Mean Streak gets, though - it's no worse than any other Cedar Fair woodie (that isn't Beast or GoldStriker).

Mean Streak is the worst Wooden Coaster I have ever been on. Anybody that complains about SFGAm Woodies haven't gotten out of the park. BTW Renegade at Valleyfair and Blue Streak are actually really nice.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby [jonrev] on September 29th, 2014, 10:28 pm
Blue Streak did nothing for me. All of Kings Dominion's and Canada's Wonderland's wooden coasters are pretty bad, though.
[jonrev]

Return to General Coaster Talk