Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Galvan Investigates: Wild Eagle

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Galvan on April 18th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Column by: Mike Galvan - Galvan316

The Following post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of SFGAmWorld.com, its webmaster, staff or its readers.

Following a 3 day, 3 Park trip that saw first time visits to Kings Dominion, Carowinds and of course Dollywood, I figured it was time for me to give my first hand account of Wild Eagle.

Especially since in case you haven't heard, Six Flags Great America is apparently getting a B&M wingrider of their own.

First lets take a look at Wild Eagle by the numbers:
Park: Dollywood Pigeon Forge, TN
Length: 3127'
Height: 210'
Drop: 135'
Inversions: 4
Speed: 61 mph
Duration: 2:22

Situated on top of a hill in the rear section of Dollywood, Wild Eagle has a lift hit reaching 210 feet tall. with a initial drop of 130 feet. The climb up the lift hill is fast and you reach to the top of the hill in a relative short amount of time. As you see in the layout about, there are 4 Inversions to Wild Eagle, included one massive 110 foot tall loop.

When I visited Dollywood recently, I rode Wild Eagle in 3 different locations on the train, to try and get a real sense of this ride.

Now anyone who talks to me on a regular basis knows that I have been critical of this ride all winter long. BUT, after learning of an impromptu trip to Dollywood, I wanted to at least give this ride a chance so,

I rode Row 1 Left- Outside, Row 7 Right Outside and then Row 3 Left inside to try and get a true grasp of which row, which side would be the best on this ride.

That way I can compare the ride the best ways I know and see if my assumptions of this ride all Winter where true or false.

1st Ride: LEFT - Outside Row 1:

After waiting about 30 minutes for front row, I finally climbed aboard to see If I had been wrong about this ride.

Immediately upon sitting down on the ride there was a trouble light that forced an immediate lift stop while we where in the station. After about 10 minutes sitting on the idle train, We took off.

Upon climbing the lift, I felt an immediate feeling that I have done this before. Because toO me I had. 2 days earlier riding Kings Dominion's Dominator Floorless coaster.

The course felt at least where I was seated Left Side Row 1 Outside, to be that of a Floorless coaster. Especially when going through the loop.

Great Hang time on the loop, but still the feeling was more of that of riding a floorless coaster, then say an Invert which is initially what I thought it might be like. Even though the rest of the course I felt, "Hey this is pretty much a floorless coaster."

Which really isnt all that bad, but nothing too Earth shattering as far as coasters go. But Granted, as is the case with Floorless coasters, like Bizarro or Dominator, floorless coasters can be very awesome rides.

Row 7 Right Outside

Following my Row 1 experience, I wanted to see if the back row of the ride would make any bit of difference, In terms of pacing, intensity or over all feel of the ride.

The back row outside at least in my opinion again gave me the feel of riding a floorless coaster but of course in the back row. What I did notice this time though was through the Zero G (#3 on the diagram) the pacing seemed slower this ride then in front. Which was something I was noticing in the test videos and was especially visible during this ride in this row. But, one thing that I didnt expect however, was the decent amount of hang time through the inversions in this row. Which was something that I was happy with.

Row 3 Left inside

While I wasn't disappointed with the two other rides I got on Wild Eagle, I wasn't exactly blown away either by them. So I decided to ride in the middle of the train on the inside seat.

And I was not expecting this, but I found that this seat was not only the most "intense" (I use this term loosely) but also probably the most enjoyable ride of the 3 I had on the ride.

Maybe it was due to the close proximity to the track during the ride (less then 2 feet) but this ride felt at least to me anyway of that of a Flying Coaster.

It was a complete surprise to me, as I figured the ride would continue with it's floorless-esqe feel, but it surprisingly did not.

Key Takeaways from my Wild Eagle Experience:

1. The trees throughout the course of Wild Eagle add nothing to the ride- All winter on forums and sites I read about how the trees will add so much to this ride. It unfortunately did not.

2. Be prepared to wait a LONG time to ride X-Flight or Wild Eagle in the busy months of the season- The load/unload process is slow, with a stretch of 4 to 5 minute intervals i noticed with waiting for one of my rides. And that does not include the trouble light that caused a 10 minute delay while I was waiting.

3. The ride really is a cross between a Floorless and a Flyer in that the OTSR vests are very similar to the of B&M Flyers, and the overall ride experience at least in the case of Wild Eagle feels at least to me like that of a floorless coaster.

4. The GP Will absolutely EAT up the ride- And thats why Dollywood and SFGAm added them to their parks.

5. Wild Eagle may be the first US Wing Rider, but X-Flight will be the best Wing Rider in the US- The Layout of X-Flight based on what we've seen, will be better then Wild Eagle provided X-Flight rides like Wild Eagle does.

My Final Thoughts:

Wild Eagle was a fun ride, nothing earth shattering, nothing to book a trip to Dollywood tomorrow over, but nothing that can be considered a bad ride as well. I think both X-Flight and Wild Eagle will be/are going to be a hit the GP much like Superman was when it first came out. Its new and something that we've never seen.

I liked Wild Eagle, it was a fun ride I cant stress that enough, Short but a fun ride non-the-less. Overall I give Wild Eagle a solid: B-

Decent Fun Ride.
Check out the POV of Wild Eagle and take a virtual ride for yourself

Thank you for reading and I look forward to discussing this topic with you.

If you have an idea for another Galvan Investigates topic, please do not hesitate to message me about you idea, if it is good enough to launch and investigation on I will certainly credit you for the idea. Thank you for reading.

Photos Courtesy of RCDB.COM and Dollywood
Galvan

Postby Chitown on April 18th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Good report on this ride. I don't think anyone was expecting super high intense thrills on this ride or the other Wingriders. One good thing is that they are great additions that look to have nice hangtime and the fact that the two in the U.S. are completely different layouts (since cloning seems to be evil in the enthusiast community). :D

I am looking forward to riding both.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby CoasterDemon on April 18th, 2012, 8:49 pm
I wouldn't complain if there were a few more Mind Benders :mrgreen:

Great report Galvan - details a-plenty for the discerning coaster geek like myself!
CoasterDemon

Postby FreezonEdgez on April 18th, 2012, 9:03 pm
Especially since in case you haven't heard, Six Flags Great America is apparently getting a B&M wingrider of their own.

What it SHOULD say:

in case you've been living under a rock, Six Flags Great America is apparently getting a B&M wingrider of their own.

:lol:
FreezonEdgez

Postby Muck Finnesota on April 24th, 2012, 11:28 pm
Chitown wrote:Good report on this ride. I don't think anyone was expecting super high intense thrills on this ride or the other Wingriders.

Truth. Probably just the opposite.

Maybe it was due to the close proximity to the track during the ride (less then 2 feet) but this ride felt at least to me anyway of that of a Flying Coaster.

This was expected, but it's still disheartening to read.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Luxornv on April 26th, 2012, 11:04 pm
I thought the same of this ride. the trees around it did nothing to add to it really, and actually looked kind of trashy since they had been recently pruned and some were only sticks. Perhaps this will change in later years as the trees grow around the ride similar to what has happened with Whizzer. In the end though, I felt that it was a good ride, but very over rated for what it actually is. Then again, it's a new ride, and that's what marketing tries to do with a new ride; make it seem like the latest and greatest thing ever.

After my trip, I thought that this ride alone was not enough to book a trip for, but I had never been to the park before. If you have been there before and don't live within a 2 hour ride of the park, it's not worth it just for this.
Luxornv

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 29th, 2012, 1:09 pm
I didn't think these rides would be earth-shattering either (As I said previously, another way for B&M to sell something like a Floorless coaster to a park that already has one - The ride LOOKS different than a floorless.), but at least Dollywood now has a B&M, and you know that people are going to like it there. That's why I was saying why didn't SFGAm just get a Floorless.

If the capacity isn't very good (4-5 min waits you say -which I might add was about Deja Vu's wait times unless you got the super fast people in the morning. (on certain days) And the park took that ride out!! It was also mechanical, but still a big reason was capacity!), and you know that a Floorless capacity is better, it's probably better for a park to get a B&M Sitdown (like Incredible Hulk) or Floorless over this ride. SFGAm had neither.

The only curiousity about Dollywood I have is Mystery Mine. I haven't been on any of these Euro-Fighters, and to me that look good, but for specifically one ride, it's not worth it for me to visit.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Galvan on May 1st, 2012, 5:14 pm
Mystery Mine was garbage. as are Eurofighters.
Galvan

Postby FParker185 on May 1st, 2012, 6:10 pm
if Galvan says so, it must be true!
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Jcoaster95 on May 4th, 2012, 8:51 am
Galvan316 wrote:Mystery Mine was garbage. as are Eurofighters.

WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA?????????????

Mystery Mine kicked @SS!!!!
Gravity Group fan
Jcoaster95

Postby CoasterDemon on May 4th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Have you been on Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia?

+100 for lap bars :mrgreen:
The new Gerstlauer Eurofighter - Iron Shark in Texas - will have four across seating, but with lap bars.

I will agree with you that the others are *OUCH*. See, it's all in the restraints.

CoasterDemon

Postby Galvan on May 4th, 2012, 10:38 pm
Dare Devil Dive was decent... but nothing really special.

Mystery Mine was garbage.
Galvan

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on June 5th, 2012, 1:18 pm
Jcoaster95 wrote:

WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA?????????????

Mystery Mine kicked @SS!!!!

Agreed! I refrained myself from watching any POVs, and the finale kicked butt! I don't wanna spoil it for anyone, but it's my favorite coaster ending anywhere, especially the drop effects!
Jerrykoala2112

Postby jakefrost on June 5th, 2012, 10:33 pm

I agree to this. :lol:
I was able to get 4 free tickets to Six Flags. Check out http://freesixflagsticket.net
jakefrost

Postby FParker185 on May 28th, 2017, 8:23 pm
both ran 3 last year
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby RollingCoasting on May 28th, 2017, 8:29 pm
^ User above you is a bot :P (Sentence was copied from the updates thread)
RollingCoasting

Return to General Coaster Talk