Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Stupid Moves that Parks have made

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby tribar on August 28th, 2011, 8:55 pm
SFGAm adding to wild mouses right next to each other. I know some parks do this for capacity reasons but that's not the case here. Also having TDK and Skull Mountain next to each other at SFGAv has always been a curious move to me. And of course Leviathan at CW and basically alot of the moves SF is making right now. Why move a crappy standup to another park. I hope SFAm puts new trains on Iron Wolf and gives it a good theme. Why move a GIB to a park that ALREADY HAS A BOOMERANG. And why move Pandemonium to another park (I think this is still a rumor but it's 3 YEARS OLD)
tribar

Postby ragingbull1331 on August 28th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Stupidest move would be adding two roller coasters in 2001, two expensive low capacity coasters
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Postby tribar on August 28th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Geauga Lake opened four on one day. A CCI Woodie, An impluse, a B&M Floorless and a kiddie coaster.
http://www.rcdb.com/4586.htm
tribar

Postby Coaster Justin on August 28th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Six Flags Buying 3 Vekoma Prototypes in 2001 (Deja Vu)

Premier Parks Buying Six Flags
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Galvan317 on August 28th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Any park that has rental fee's for mandatory ride lockers.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Coaster Justin on August 28th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Disney Building Parks That Were Based on Budget rather than Quality/Theming/Attractions

Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 28th, 2011, 11:27 pm
tribar wrote:Geauga Lake opened four on one day. A CCI Woodie, An impluse, a B&M Floorless and a kiddie coaster.

In my opinion, adding so many coasters wasn't a problem for a new Six Flags park. They wanted to get the people to that park. However, what I see being the problem with that park is that they had a lot of rough coasters, and the general public doesn't like that. On top of that, it wasn't easy to get to, and Cedar Point is part of your competition. Besides that, when they bought Sea World, I don't know why they decided to add a waterpark on that side of the park. The park wasn't that big of a park, and it would have been smarter to put something better on the other side - as in some of the coasters.

The Villain, and Raging Wolf Bobs were rough wooden coasters. Double Loop was a really short ride. Vekoma Flyer's aren't that tame - kind of rough. Everyone knows about SLC's. Vekoma regular boomerangs are also kind of rough. Batman wasn't a rough ride. It's a B&M for goodness sakes, but it's like the same story with Kentucky Kingdom. That park had a lot of junk in my opinion, and Chang wasn't junk really.

What I feel that could have saved Six Flags Ohio is really getting better roller coasters, and taking some of the rough coasters out. Six Flags are the ones that put Villain, and X-Flight in. I think that if the park put in (in that 1 year) SFOG Goliath, B&M Batman (like they had), Premier Joker's Jinx, and a GCI coaster, and took out Head Spin, Double Loop, Raging Wolf Bobs, and never put in Villain, I think that park would still be around. With the rides that park had, that just couldn't be a Six Flags great type of park. That's why they felt they needed to add a bunch of roller coasters to that park, but some of the coasters they added were rough plus the rough rides the previous owners had at that park.

In the beginning of a park, you have to spend money. That's why people went to Hard Rock Park, and go I'm done in such a short time at this park. There is nothing else to do. They didn't put enough rides at that park (Hard Rock Park) to begin with, and disappointed them along with the price of getting in with not that many rides.
*Though, what I can't believe is that Cedar Fair was stupid enough to buy Six Flags Ohio knowing that it had a lot of rough roller coasters. On top of that, the Vekoma Flyer isn't the most reliable ride either.
*Any amusement park continuing to buy Intamin roller coasters ????
*How about Six Flags not having the permit for Dark Knight at New England. Plus, them adding SFKK's mouse to that park when they had a similar type of ride (Pandemonium).
*Cedar Point sending Demon Drop to Dorney Park

*Six Flags stupid ride rotation program
*Buccaneer Battle
*Running Iron Wolf on a low staffing day instead of Deja Vu (Deja Vu's always broke you know....says the general public) - Iron Wolf lasting longer than Deja Vu.
*This still do this, but for Roaring Rapids they have to have one person stand right by the boat even when the people are all buckled up, and when you have one employee for the rafts, the line takes forever. Why can't they check the belts, and go by the one in which the people are getting off. It's just dumb. On Logger's Run, they don't have one employee standing by every log.
*Here's Thomas Town- Your one whole ride for you people - the train ride...

*Six Flags building Kingda Ka.
*Six Flags buying way too many parks like Six Flags America, The Great Escape, La Ronde, Six Flags Darien Lake, Six Flags Belgium, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Six Flags Elitch Gardens...
*Making Six Flags Astroworld a dumping ground
*Six Flags not raising season pass prices.
*What in the world are they doing with Six Flags America??
*Why Six Flags Magic Mountain has taken out flats, and never put in new ones, not to mention just add flats without taking anything else out.
*The Six Flags Neon Shirts
*Cedar Fair buying so many Windseekers
*Knoebels building Flying Turns
*Busch Gardens naming a ride Kumba - What in the world is a Kumba?
*Cedar Fair naming a ride Dominator.

in my opinion, it's easy to see why Six Flags was in bankruptcy. They have done a ton of stupid stuff over the years.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 28th, 2011, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coaster Justin on August 28th, 2011, 11:33 pm
^
Six Flags Should've Done the "Flagging Expansion" in 99. That way they would've had only had to compete with Camp Snoopy at Cedar Point. In 2000, They had to Compete with Millennium Force.

Coaster Justin

Postby monsterfan99 on August 29th, 2011, 2:16 am
tribar wrote:Geauga Lake opened four on one day. A CCI Woodie, An impluse, a B&M Floorless and a kiddie coaster.

The post begins and ends with this. The single dumbest move any park has ever made.

A close second was Hard Rock Park being built.
monsterfan99

Postby Falcon on August 29th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Six Flags using so many cookie cutter rides instead of giving parks original coasters.

^^^ What wrong with Intamin coasters? If you havent check they are considered some of the best in world despite there occasional problems.
Falcon

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2011, 10:30 pm
^Many Intamin rides have had problems. Speaking recently, the Intamin Zacspin at Magic Mountain wasn't open till July 1st. If you want to look at Maverick, they had to replace a track because someone figured it's too intense. Snapping and injuring on Top Thrill Dragster along with I think a tire falling off of it (when they had them on). Something bad happened on Kingda Ka where they had to replace a lot of broken pieces (Thankfully with no guests). Tons of problems with Intimidator at Kings Dominion. Something happened bad at Geugea Lake in which the fins broke or something with the Impulse. I believe Superman at Magic Mountain started a fire, and I believe because of that, they resorted to only running 1 side with made the capacity go way, way down. Should I go on... ?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby monsterfan99 on August 30th, 2011, 5:35 am
^To go with that, Cheetah Hunt was a mess around opening. Opening some 6 or so hours late on opening day due to "wonderful" Intamin issues. Before anyone says that is normal, let me know the last B&M or GCI to have that issue.
monsterfan99

Postby Coaster Justin on August 30th, 2011, 10:11 am
I Have Been on 250+ Coasters and the ONLY time I've been a Ride that has broken down has Been V2. Designed By Who? Intamin

Coaster Justin

Postby tribar on August 30th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Cedar Point in general builds way too many.

Millennium Force 2000
Wicked Twister 2002
Top Thrill Dragster 2003
Maverick 2007
Shoot the Rapids 2010

How many of these have opened on time. Don't forget about Volcano Kingda Ka I 305 V2 Superman (SFMM) Green Lantern Cheetah Hunt etc.

Were Stormrunner and Fahrenheit open in time because i don't see building Skyrush if that's going to be late as well
tribar

Postby CoasterBGW on August 30th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Storm Runner and Fahrenheit both opened on time. Opening day for Storm Runner and the typical Memorial Day weekend for Fahrenheit. There was a minor snafu on Fahrenheit's opening day when the train valleyed due to an empty train and the right wind direction. The anticipated date for the Skyrush debut is May 24th.
CoasterBGW

Postby Cole on August 30th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Any park that buys from Intamin knows they're in for trouble. But they also know that they're in store for a great ride. Sometimes thats worth it. Look at Maverick/TTD/Millenium. They all suffer alot of downtime but toegether they make one of the best (if not the best) trios in the world. B&M is smarter and safer, but Intamin delivers the thrills impact all parks should have, and sometimes B&M just cant do that.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Falcon on August 30th, 2011, 4:49 pm
And how many Intamin coasters have kicked ass? They may have problems but they are a hell of a lot more intense than a B&M. No one has yet to make a perfect launch yet and Intamin coasters often have complex systems. B&Ms are simple and therefore more reliable. If you want something one of a kind that uses some special propulsion system Intamin is the way to go. And thats why Cedar Point builds them.
Falcon

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2011, 4:52 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:I Have Been on 250+ Coasters and the ONLY time I've been a Ride that has broken down has Been V2. Designed By Who? Intamin

Honestly, that's impressive to hear that you haven't been on so many not many breakdowns. Now, for me being stuck on the ride, that's just once on Superman, once on Whizzer, once on Deja Vu (sadly only 1 retraction), once on V2, and once on Top Thrill Dragster. It makes sense though that I would get stuck on more rides at Great America because I go there a lot more than let's say Cedar Point, or SFOG. It's not life-threatening or not, but it's just rides breakdown once and awhile.

I blame Intamin more for their accidents, and not getting the rides open on time though. To me, there are some great Intamin rides though like Superman: Ride of Steel, Rolling Thunder / La Vibora, V2, Top Thrill Dragster, so I don't base it that Intamin rides the way they ride stink, but based on those other 2 factors. A park buys a ride for next summer. I'm sorry, but opening a ride for summer in July is terrible. The people coming in May and definitely in June are going to be really mad that the new ride isn't even open.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coaster Justin on August 30th, 2011, 8:26 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:I Have Been on 250+ Coasters and the ONLY time I've been a Ride that has broken down has Been V2. Designed By Who? Intamin

Honestly, that's impressive to hear that you haven't been on so many not many breakdowns. Now, for me being stuck on the ride, that's just once on Superman, once on Whizzer, once on Deja Vu (sadly only 1 retraction), once on V2, and once on Top Thrill Dragster. It makes sense though that I would get stuck on more rides at Great America because I go there a lot more than let's say Cedar Point, or SFOG. It's not life-threatening or not, but it's just rides breakdown once and awhile.

I blame Intamin more for their accidents, and not getting the rides open on time though. To me, there are some great Intamin rides though like Superman: Ride of Steel, Rolling Thunder / La Vibora, V2, Top Thrill Dragster, so I don't base it that Intamin rides the way they ride stink, but based on those other 2 factors. A park buys a ride for next summer. I'm sorry, but opening a ride for summer in July is terrible. The people coming in May and definitely in June are going to be really mad that the new ride isn't even open.

It's true, the Breaks didn't work at the back tower so it stopped and the ride stalled for like 45 minutes.

Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on August 31st, 2011, 12:27 am
Everyone has covered anything else I thought of other than what happened this year at SFMM & SFGAdv....lets build another green/black coaster next to an existing green/black coaster(SFMM). Then build a large green coaster next to the worlds tallest green coaster(SFGAdv). I mean, really?! I know the green are different shades but it still irritates me.

We have hometown Square as you know right? Well this is all exactly how I feel about about what I call "Yellow Square" at SFGAm. In one area you have a yellow Ragin' Cujun, Vertical Velocity, & Batman.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2011, 2:34 am
^Our park though is a lot worse though. You go from V2 all the way around to the Whizzer, and every attraction has some yellow in it except East River Crawler and Sky Trek Tower. Whizzer line, and station is also yellow. V2 of course, Whirligig (the lights), Jester's Wild Ride (yellow ride), Big Easy Balloons (the balloons), Dark Knight (GCR is painted yellow + yellow lapbars), Superman (yellow piece of the track plus restraints), Pictorium (yellow in the sign), Yankee Clipper has a yellow sign, Rue Le Dodge (yellow bumper cars), King Chaos (yellow in the painting of the ride plus harnesses), Roaring Rapids (yellow rafts), Batman the Ride, Condor (yellow on the cars plus lights), Triple Play (yellow arm), Hometown Fun Machine (half yellow), of course the train station is painted yellow, Carousel (definitely has yellow like Lions, on a Dragon, the thing you sit on that doesn't move (I just looked at picture of it.).

Thankfully, by the Orbit they ran out of yellow paint!!

I understand where you are coming from, but Riddler colors are green, and so is Green Lantern. Also, at Magic Mountain they are moving Deja Vu, so that's one less green at that park. For our park, and Batman the Ride, all that yellow doesn't really make sense. Batman the character has a tiny little bit of yellow, and is mostly black, or sometimes he's gray and blue, but definitely not a ton of yellow. I guess though it wouldn't bother me at Magic Mountain or Great Adventure with 2 coasters being green near each other because it's not 4 almost in a row (V2, Batman the Ride, Ragin Cajun, Superman).
Ilovthevu'

Postby tribar on August 31st, 2011, 4:39 pm
^Wow that is WAY too much yellow espically consdering how ugly the color yellow. Batman should be repainted blue like SFOG and SFMM have done Our only somewhat blue coasters are AE LD V2 and S:UF and that doesn't cut it. V2 should get repainted as well. As to what i don't know. Maybe red like SFDK's. RC can stay the way it is. I think S:UF should get a Bizarro theme but i don't see that happaning
tribar

Postby Galvan on September 1st, 2011, 1:30 am
I think the fiasco Six Flags got into following the destruction of SFNO has to be up there.
Galvan

Postby thedavid on September 1st, 2011, 1:42 am
^ I've gotta agree. Their like, "We want no responsibility for the park." "Wait.. we still want to take anything we want from the park for as long as we want to."
thedavid

Postby RollingCoasting on June 26th, 2014, 1:10 am
Six Flags America's "Station" for Ragin Cajun.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... start=3760

If you go a few posts down, you can see it.
RollingCoasting

Next

Return to General Coaster Talk