Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Camcorder

A Off-Topic forum to discuss things that aren't related to the Amusement Park Industry.
Postby steve0145 on January 28th, 2014, 11:32 am
I am looking to buy my first camcorder for filming at six flags and other places. I was wondering what other people are using at the park? My price is set around a $800 - 1000 and I would like to add a 2nd battery and a large SD card.
Take a look at my YouTube channel all about Six flags Shows and actors https://www.youtube.com/steve0145
steve0145

Postby scottydoesknow on January 28th, 2014, 2:52 pm
This really depends on what you're looking to produce. I use a Canon 60D DSLR but I rely on the manual settings. Also, a lot of parks are going to limit you by the equipment you're allowed to use during operating days so keep that in mind. A compact, hand-held camcorder may be your best bet if you're a video novice and aren't worried about manual settings. That way you can just point and shoot, but still provide beautiful footage. Often, filming with a 60D, I'll get hassled by security at different parks because they see it as a professional camera. A lot of this depends on my lens selection for the day. A large lens will bring you a lot of attention. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Scott Schaffer

SFGAm World's official YouTube producer
@upstopmedia

Goliath rides: 60
scottydoesknow

Postby steve0145 on January 28th, 2014, 7:45 pm
My wife has a camera like that. I had it once at the park and the security guards said to make sure I don't take that out on any of the roller coasters. I just kind of looked at him and said OK. The down side with them is they can only record video for so long and then you have to stop and start again. I don't want to have to stop it every 10 mins (i think that's what it is). I would like to record the shows that are longer then 10 mins.
Take a look at my YouTube channel all about Six flags Shows and actors https://www.youtube.com/steve0145
steve0145

Postby acer711 on January 28th, 2014, 9:16 pm
You could just get a GoPro Hero 3 black Edition. I have one and it shoots quality video, I really enjoy it! And plus you don't have to worry about it getting. wet if it does rain or you drop it. High Quality video, ultra portability/ lightweight, a lot of accessories, durable, if your in to that sorta thing.
acer711

Postby scottydoesknow on January 28th, 2014, 11:19 pm
I'll sell my other GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition too if you were interested. Great cameras!
Scott Schaffer

@upstopmedia

scottydoesknow

Postby steve0145 on January 29th, 2014, 10:09 pm
I tried one last summer and i did not care for the way to hold it and had to add a screen or link it to my phone with the app to see what I was filming. I returned it after a few weeks. and then I just gave up at the time of getting a camcorder. now I would like to have one before six flags open this year.
steve0145

Postby scottydoesknow on January 29th, 2014, 11:21 pm
steve0145 wrote:I tried one last summer and i did not care for the way to hold it and had to add a screen or link it to my phone with the app to see what I was filming. I returned it after a few weeks. and then I just gave up at the time of getting a camcorder. now I would like to have one before six flags open this year.

You can always get the LCD touchscreen back for them, they work well.

Something like this would work well, too. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_r52
Scott Schaffer

@upstopmedia

scottydoesknow

Postby steve0145 on March 4th, 2014, 1:21 pm
After i tired and looked at all the options I had and tested them I pick the Canon EOS Rebel SL1. I pick it for the recording time of 29 mins and the nice pics it could take and the small body. Thank you for your help on this.
steve0145

Return to Off-Topic Forum