Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Great America to Sponsor Special Olympics Event

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby Galvan on January 31st, 2005, 10:43 pm
On March 5, 2005

Volunteers from all over Illinois will raise money and jump into the icy waters of Lake Michigan in support of Special Olympics Illinois athletes.

Great America Is sponsoring this event and is asking Mr. Six Look alikes to participate in its own Polar Bear Plunge.

Read more at: <a href="http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatamerica/ParkPress/article020105a.html" class="news" target="blank">Six Flags.com</a>
Galvan

Postby coastercrazy111 on February 1st, 2005, 12:35 am
I know it's for a good cause and everything. I love to volunteer and help people who need it most, but I just can't talk myself into jumping into a frozen Lake Michigan. I'd probably pass out from the cold. LOL. If I had time right now I would go and just donate money.
2010 is going to be one to remember forever!!
coastercrazy111

Postby Mr. SFGAm on February 1st, 2005, 12:30 pm
Thats really cool that Six Flags likes to sponsor charity events like this. But I'd agree with coastercrazy111, I barely like to swim in 60 degree water, let alone freezing water. :shock:
Finally Coaster Season!!
Mr. SFGAm

Postby coastercrazy111 on February 1st, 2005, 3:58 pm
LOL Dude I dont like swimming at school and the water is over 70 degrees. You get used to it eventually and it is fine, but I dont think theres any getting used to in below 0 water. Although don't they just run in, get soaked for a second and run right back out? Even if they did that I still couldnt do it lol!
2010 is going to be one to remember forever!!
coastercrazy111

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on February 1st, 2005, 4:23 pm
Well, I'd give money for it. But I wouldn't get hypothermia for it. Do they want a specific amount of money for a donation or just as good as you can do?
CoasterDude12-2

Postby Moo on February 1st, 2005, 4:37 pm
It is nice to see that SF actually cares about something other than themselves. I applaud their efforts.
Ugh.
Moo

Postby Bears54 on February 2nd, 2005, 1:27 pm
Nice to see that they are trying to help out. No way in hell you will see me jumping into the frigid waters. 70 degrees is good for me :!:
Bears54

Postby sixflagsguy5 on February 5th, 2005, 11:01 pm
It's a good advertising idea. Especially for Huricane Harbor. It won't be as good as a fundraiser if the weather stays like this though. Maybe they'll be giving out free t-shirts or something. Maybe I'll be able to go.
sixflagsguy5

Postby DejaVu The Ride on February 13th, 2005, 6:19 pm
After thinking it over, I might end up doing this. It would be fun! :lol: If anyone wants to do this with me, Pm me. Maybe I can persuade my friends to do it too.
DejaVu The Ride

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on February 13th, 2005, 10:18 pm
I probably would participate if I could.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 15th, 2005, 2:58 pm
I have some details about this event.... so let me fill you in.

Donations can be any amount of money that you want... SO would like $75 for regular participants, but SFGA is already making a monetary donation so the participants are not required to fundraise money but it is highly encouraged.

SFGA will be giving out admission tickets (as far as I know) and maybe more to participants. I would have to say for a run in and run out that it would be quite easy for a couple of tickets!

The water is relatively warm once u get in, but yea its cold when you run in, but they will have heaters and stuff there so you can warm up when you get out. Medical personnel are on location just in case things happen, waivers need to be signed before plunging.

I know I am going to the event...but you need to register with the public relations department at SFGA in order to make sure you get your admission tickets, details on where to go, etc.

Umm... I think you can contact them via email or through their mainline. SFGRPR@sftp.com or 847-249-2133 ext. 6100. I would suppose if you want to donate money and dont want to plunge you could let them know. They might be handing out prizes or gifts for even particpants who arent plunging! Who knows check with the Public Relations Department.

((this info is from a mass email that they sent out last week to a bunch of ACE ppl!!))
:twisted:
"Official" Off-Topic Diva
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on February 15th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Great Details, let me be the first to welcome you to SFGAmworld.
CoasterDude12-2

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 16th, 2005, 9:57 am
thanks for the welcome..been here a while... looking at least. I posted on this because the original post seemed very misleading and I wanted to make sure you all go tthe right info.

SFGA really needs plungers badly... Rumors have it there is something special they are giving out in addition to the admission tickets so I would check with them on that. ((can you say media day passes?????)) I also heard it was only for ACE members.... but I am sure most of you are members of ACE LOL!!!!

BTW- I know most of you are season pass holders.... but those admission tickets are great gifts for girlfriends or boyfriends *hint hint* so they can come with you to SFGA :-d Ciao!
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 16th, 2005, 10:00 am
BTW- Anyone from here gonna go plunge at all?
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby DejaVu The Ride on February 17th, 2005, 5:09 pm
I am going to plunge and my friend most likely will too!

I have been informed that they really need more people to plunge. Media Day passes will be given to anyone who participates.(Also a couple of general admission tickets.)

Come on, it is not like you have to pay(you can donate if you want to) and you get to dress up as Mr.Six and jump in water. Most importantly, it is for a good cause. You will be helping the Special Olympics and will be supporting Six Flags.

If you have any questions/concerns/comments, then e-mail the linked e-mail a few posts above. The park will respond as quick as possible.
DejaVu The Ride

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 17th, 2005, 5:13 pm
psssst ... MEDIA DAY!!!!!

that is all I have to say about that.

Who wouldn't want to be the first to check out all the new stuff at HH!?!?!??!?! plus its a great opportunity to get on TV or in the newspaper or something.
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby punkbunny24242 on February 17th, 2005, 5:36 pm
I saw that there are 2 dates... the 5th and the 6th. Does anyone know if both of these dates will get you Media Day passes?? I understand that I would only do one day (I'd probably be sick the next day) and get 1 set of Media passes. God this is going to be cold!!

PS Do only ACE members get the Media day passes... I'm confused. Sorry
punkbunny24242

Postby twixmix0303 on February 17th, 2005, 5:44 pm
I actually want to go now, except I can't :cry:
twixmix0303

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 17th, 2005, 5:47 pm
sgam posters get two one day admission passes for sure.... what else they might get is up in the air.

its not just for ACE members.

the plunge date in Lake Bluff is March 5
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 18th, 2005, 3:22 pm
registration deadline for the Polar Plunge is coming up soon.... I would suggest that if you plan on donating (and not plunging..and/or not attending the event and just donating) that you contact the PR dept. to find out where to send your donation.
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby SixFlagsChick on February 28th, 2005, 11:11 am
SFGA isn't taking any more participants..... :( so if you waited too long to sign up your out of luck!

You can still plunge with Special Olympics if you want, but you have to raise $75 bucks in order to do it.
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby DejaVu The Ride on February 28th, 2005, 6:47 pm
I will be plunging, along with my friend. If any of you are going, be sure to say hi.(If you know who I am.)
DejaVu The Ride

Return to Headline News