Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2022 Speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ilrider on July 25th, 2021, 2:11 pm
anewman35 wrote:
ilrider wrote:Need to RMC Eagle to breathe new life into it, since they are no longer racing it. Takes away half the fun of it and the lines are getting long.

I definitely see both pros and cons on doing this, and don't necessarily want to get into all that now, but isn't the fact that lines are getting long sort of an indication that it's still popularnsontheh don't really need to 'breathe new life into it'?
ilrider

Postby ilrider on July 25th, 2021, 2:24 pm
^I don’t think it’s due to some sudden new popularity of Eagle at all. The lines are pretty long on everything this year, partly due to so many rides being closed due to staffing shortages. The park has also been very busy this year due to being closed last year. Eagle normally has had almost no line in recent years before this year. It is not nearly as popular as it used to be. Even this year at times the line is short, such as in the morning, but we hit a long one when we went one evening, and part of the delay was a fight that took place in the station that held up a dispatch several minutes.

It needs a major upgrade. When you can cut the line in half by racing the two sides, do it. I can understand only running one side when it is a walk on, but not when it is busy like our evening visit. We waited almost 50 minutes to ride Eagle that night, then walked to X-Flight and it was only 15 minutes due to the better capacity on the latter. Eagle is a racing coaster that is not as fun the way it is now. That is all I could think that night we waited a long time to get on. I wish we had skipped it honestly. It has gotten very rough too.

RMCing it gives the park a “new” major attraction, not another coaster under a minute long like we have gotten in recent years. They did it with Colossus at SFMM.
ilrider

Postby JackGlass on July 26th, 2021, 6:38 pm
That's another reason I hope Spanos ends the "Every park gets something new every year" routine

If they decide to RMC American Eagle. Make it the best roller coaster in the world. Spend the extra money and do it right.
JackGlass

Postby Tardis1972 on July 28th, 2021, 9:27 am
My guess is some type of flat ride or park improvements. Either way I don’t see any more major coasters until one is removed.
Tardis1972

Postby Jodon on July 28th, 2021, 1:47 pm
I pray that someday our park will get a new entrance. The current entrance and exit are so uninviting and ugly. I don't see how the current set up can be fixed. I hate the "holding pen" between security and the ticket scanners. The carousel plaza could be beautiful, but the buildings, security, queues before security, and the huge billboards are so ugly they really damage the feeling of the park. The exit area is also awful, but it's not as noticeable as the entrance.
Jodon

Postby staticshadows on July 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm
Fiesta Texas just announced a B&M Dive Coaster for 2022.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 28th, 2021, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on July 28th, 2021, 2:45 pm
staticshadows wrote:Fiesta Texas just announced a B&M Dive Coaster for 2022.

Was just coming here to mention that. So we have that and the RMC single rail at SFMM so far in terms of major coasters, which seems like already more than the chain would do most years. But it's hard to know what that means for other parks because it's been such a weird few years (and at least the SFMM was planned pre-pandemic) - this could basically be IT for big things... Or they could be going all out with a lot of big things to try to make a big splash post-pandemic?
anewman35

Postby Jodon on July 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm
That's moderately surprising. Three things of note at the moment:
1. How does a rollercoaster named Cliffhanger not hang off the quarry cliff at SFFT??????
2. It's great that another SF park is getting a B&M, but it's still rather small.
3. SF still loves to get whatever menial record they can to help promote a coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby UWW-10 on July 28th, 2021, 3:42 pm
I truly think the old model of "every park gets something every year" is out with the new CEO. I think that concept with some of the rides that were introduced to certain parks was a total flop anyways.

I believe the new CEO is going to be allocating capital very differently than what we have seen previously.

I don't foresee SFGAm getting much of anything for this coming season. It would be nice if some money could be spent on general upkeep.
UWW-10

Postby JackGlass on July 28th, 2021, 4:41 pm
I'm so happy to see Six Flags working with B&M again.
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on July 28th, 2021, 4:50 pm
I think the Something new in every park is done. I saw something somewhere that a park president from a different six flags park said there will not be a company wide announcement day for 2022 attractions, which leads me to believe there isn’t something new for every park.

Also, I think the fact that A Six Flags park is finally getting another B&M signals a change in direction. Even though it’s a smaller one since it’s a Dive Machine, B&Ms still tend to be quite expansive. There’s been narry a peep about 2022 plans for Great America. Wouldn’t surprise me if only a handful of parks get something new next year.

My guess is that we will find out more during the next Six Flags Q2 conference call.

We should also be hearing about Fright Fest plans soon too.

coasterfanatic

Postby Sven18 on July 29th, 2021, 8:08 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I think the Something new in every park is done. I saw something somewhere that a park president from a different six flags park said there will not be a company wide announcement day for 2022 attractions, which leads me to believe there isn’t something new for every park.

Also, I think the fact that A Six Flags park is finally getting another B&M signals a change in direction. Even though it’s a smaller one since it’s a Dive Machine, B&Ms still tend to be quite expansive. There’s been narry a peep about 2022 plans for Great America. Wouldn’t surprise me if only a handful of parks get something new next year.

My guess is that we will find out more during the next Six Flags Q2 conference call.

There will be no video & company wide announcement. The new management has essentially said in a roundabout way several times that getting a ride every year is pretty much done. If everyone isn't getting something than no need for chain wide video. Every park will announce if they are getting something when they want. If they are getting no rides & just maintenance stuff there probably will be nothing. There is no word on whether the pre Labor Day flash sale is still happening.

On the Q2 earnings call yesterday they talked about doing less discounting, don't know if that means flash sale or just maybe the bring a friend for free or $9.99 days may be reduced or gone.

The new Mini B&M Dive isn't really a change, It has virtually the same specs Emperor at SWSD and that was about 11M by all reports, if you go thru documentation of the liens.
Sven18

Postby staticshadows on July 31st, 2021, 10:58 am
After taking some rough measurements in Google Earth, I wonder if we will get a clone of this coaster in 2023. It looks like it could fit if Buccaneer Battle, Demon Funnel Cakes and Snacks, and Hometown Park are removed. The ride would go over the maintenance road and a portion of the Go Karts. I am not sure if the Go Karts would need to be removed or if the Go Kart track could be rerouted around the supports. The ride entrance/exit could be moved under the extreme airtime hill.

staticshadows

Postby JackGlass on July 31st, 2021, 12:15 pm
That would be great if they were able to fit a Dive Machine in that plot of land
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on July 31st, 2021, 2:31 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Also, I think the fact that A Six Flags park is finally getting another B&M signals a change in direction. Even though it’s a smaller one since it’s a Dive Machine, B&Ms still tend to be quite expansive.

The Mini Dive at SFFT, it has almost identical specs to the Mini Dive at Sea World Sam Diego which was 11-12M, this coaster will be in the same range. So, it's not really a change, still inexpensive small coasters, classic SF post bankruptcy.

FYI, the earnings call was wednesday 7/28.
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on July 31st, 2021, 2:34 pm
People were all talking about clones of Xflight in 2012 across the chain & we all know how that turned out.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on July 31st, 2021, 2:38 pm
Was this coaster a Spanos or Anderson plan?
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on July 31st, 2021, 3:28 pm
JackGlass wrote:Was this coaster a Spanos or Anderson plan?

Given the development & lead time of coasters of several year almost certain to be a carryover. Spanos became CEO end of Nov 2019 & given the turmoil he was coming into, which he actually gave insight into in his 1st conf call, doubt his 1st thing was to come up with let's give SFFT a dive coaster. He came in 1 month after the nonsense of the ridiculous notion of SF buying CF, which was really just a cover for the horrible news SF knew they would have to announce, that the SF China deals were getting killed, which they announced in Jan 2020. The company was coming off of 4 quarters of disappointing earnings action with stock taking 10%+ hits in every earnings report. 2019 they also had net income down 100M while all their competitors were reporting record years of income..Cedar Fair & SEAS.
Sven18

Postby coasterfanatic on July 31st, 2021, 4:25 pm
Sven18 wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Also, I think the fact that A Six Flags park is finally getting another B&M signals a change in direction. Even though it’s a smaller one since it’s a Dive Machine, B&Ms still tend to be quite expansive.

The Mini Dive at SFFT, it has almost identical specs to the Mini Dive at Sea World Sam Diego which was 11-12M, this coaster will be in the same range. So, it's not really a change, still inexpensive small coasters, classic SF post bankruptcy.

FYI, the earnings call was wednesday 7/28.
Awesome. I knew it was coming soon. I’ll have to listen.

coasterfanatic

Postby MikeyTeee on August 3rd, 2021, 11:33 am
I feel that since we have gotten no word so far, we will not be getting anything next season. I am happy and sad about this, while it is upsetting not getting anything new, I hope that the park focusses more on staffing, cleaning up around the park, trimming some of the overgrown trees and bushes, etc. I also hope this means Six Flags will start putting more money into the rides going to a certain park, I realize they most likely will keep their same style, cheaper rides, but I hope this new style gives them some motivation to spend more.
MikeyTeee

Postby JackGlass on August 3rd, 2021, 1:06 pm
If they stop giving every park something new every year. That gives them a lot more flexibility.
JackGlass

Postby anewman35 on August 4th, 2021, 4:14 pm
MikeyTeee wrote:I feel that since we have gotten no word so far, we will not be getting anything next season. I am happy and sad about this, while it is upsetting not getting anything new, I hope that the park focusses more on staffing, cleaning up around the park, trimming some of the overgrown trees and bushes, etc. I also hope this means Six Flags will start putting more money into the rides going to a certain park, I realize they most likely will keep their same style, cheaper rides, but I hope this new style gives them some motivation to spend more.

I have no idea if we will or not, but it's worth pointing out that AFAIK almost all the Six Flags parks haven't said anything yet (is it only SFFT?), even though we know that SFMM is getting a coaster. It could mean that none of those parks are getting anything, but I suspect it's just too early to really know. Given that they're droppings the usual pre-Labor Day announcement, we really have no idea if individual parks might just announce things in their own timelines.

Personally, I expect we get SOMETHING, just because now that HH is officially a separate park that would be three years in a row with nothing new in the main park. Obviously extenuating circumstances due to the pandemic, but you'd think they'd want something new to promote.
anewman35

Postby FParker185 on August 4th, 2021, 7:25 pm
Quite a few SF parks announced their new for 22' ride in 2019. Just off the top of my head SFStL getting the Funtime Vomitron in place of Superman Tower of Power, SFOT getting Aquaman which currently is a giant eyesore in the middle of the park. I know quite a few others are in the same spot.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby CoasterNick3157 on August 4th, 2021, 7:29 pm
FParker185 wrote:Quite a few SF parks announced their new for 22' ride in 2019. Just off the top of my head SFStL getting the Funtime Vomitron in place of Superman Tower of Power, SFOT getting Aquaman which currently is a giant eyesore in the middle of the park. I know quite a few others are in the same spot.

you do know those two are 2020 attractions
CoasterNick3157

Postby anewman35 on August 4th, 2021, 8:22 pm
FParker185 wrote:Quite a few SF parks announced their new for 22' ride in 2019. Just off the top of my head SFStL getting the Funtime Vomitron in place of Superman Tower of Power, SFOT getting Aquaman which currently is a giant eyesore in the middle of the park. I know quite a few others are in the same spot.

Well, yes, but there's a difference between announcing something two years ago and delaying it a few times and announcing something that's actually a new announcement.
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum