Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Airboss on May 27th, 2021, 8:52 am
Was there all day yesterday. All coasters running full trains. No more hourly train sanitations. Masks only required on rides and in lines, not on the midways. Image
Airboss

Postby UnclePennybags on May 27th, 2021, 10:12 pm
Airboss wrote:Was there all day yesterday. All coasters running full trains. No more hourly train sanitations. Masks only required on rides and in lines, not on the midways.

Happy to see this. Hoping for more if Illinois can make it to Phase 5.

Since last week, Six Flags Over Texas, Over Georgia, Fiesta Texas, St. Louis, New England, and Frontier City have lifted *all* masking requirements and no longer require reservations or temperature checks to get into the park. Same for Great Adventure and America, although both of these parks require masks indoors or while in queues or on rides.

Great America, Magic Mountain, and Discovery Kingdom have yet to post anything on Facebook, but it looks like we'll be seeing something before this summer heats up.

I really like going to the park on hot days, but wearing a mask in the dry park on a hot day would be too much for me. Looking forward to this summer.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 28th, 2021, 9:06 am
Airboss - Thanks for the update!!!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on May 29th, 2021, 11:43 am
Kind of disappointing to see the park hasn’t even mentioned today being the 45th birthday! While I know this season is technically the 46th season, since they couldn’t celebrate the 45th season last year, you think they would acknowledge or celebrate the 45th YEAR, this year

Seems like the same for Eagle, where they did mention its 40th birthday, but not going to do anything special for its 40th year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby JT2002 on June 1st, 2021, 5:35 pm
JackGlass wrote:$20 an hour is awesome. Hopefully Cedar Point makes that wage hike permanent

Lol six flags would never
They'd rather have like half the rides closed due to shortness of staff.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Coaster Justin on June 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm
JT2002 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:$20 an hour is awesome. Hopefully Cedar Point makes that wage hike permanent

Lol six flags would never
They'd rather have like half the rides closed due to shortness of staff.

Michigan's Adventure last weekend had 2 of their coasters closed (Shivering Timbers and Thunderhawk), their waterpark closed, all but 2 food places closed, and several kids rides closed.

Also their Mad Mouse only ran 1 car.

Just saying
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby coasterfanatic on June 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:
anewman35 wrote:Is a switch to Pepsi something that's officially happening? Seems like Six Flags making a deal like would have press releases and stuff, and I can't find any...

My questions exactly. Where is this info?!
No. There’s no evidence to support this and if it was happening, it’s certainly not this year. They like just didn’t want to pay the leasing fees on the Freestyle machine.

My guess is Mike would mention about a change to Pepsi in a quarterly earnings call. Plus they likely have a long term deal/partnership with Coke.

coasterfanatic

Postby Airboss on June 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm
Something must be up with Maxx. Seems to have been down for a few days now. I was there last Friday, it was closed all day (although weather was unfavorable so might have just kept it down for that reason - however the sign out front said technical difficulties). Saturday I'm told it opened but went down around halfway through the day, and as far as I know it hasn't operated since then. Was there yesterday and there was absolutely no activity at it, both trains in the storage and no mechanics / other employees anywhere to be seen. Hope it's not closed too much longer.
Airboss

Postby coasterfanatic on June 2nd, 2021, 8:06 pm
Airboss wrote:Something must be up with Maxx. Seems to have been down for a few days now. I was there last Friday, it was closed all day (although weather was unfavorable so might have just kept it down for that reason - however the sign out front said technical difficulties). Saturday I'm told it opened but went down around halfway through the day, and as far as I know it hasn't operated since then. Was there yesterday and there was absolutely no activity at it, both trains in the storage and no mechanics / other employees anywhere to be seen. Hope it's not closed too much longer.
MaxxForce has been giving them problems all year!

coasterfanatic

Postby gottastrata33 on June 3rd, 2021, 3:52 am
Maxx seems to have more issues now than it did when it opened. Two of my friends went separate weeks & they messaged me that it was closed all day. I feel bad for people who are traveling for it but also us haha. I mean it's still the new big thing as it hasn't really had a good run yet. Poor maxx. Lol
gottastrata33

Postby JT2002 on June 3rd, 2021, 5:58 pm
Airboss wrote:Something must be up with Maxx. Seems to have been down for a few days now. I was there last Friday, it was closed all day (although weather was unfavorable so might have just kept it down for that reason - however the sign out front said technical difficulties). Saturday I'm told it opened but went down around halfway through the day, and as far as I know it hasn't operated since then. Was there yesterday and there was absolutely no activity at it, both trains in the storage and no mechanics / other employees anywhere to be seen. Hope it's not closed too much longer.

I was told it's a couple electrical problems, but they seem to be taking a while. Hopefully they're fixing the root of the issue rather than slapping a band aid over it
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby ernstwhere on June 3rd, 2021, 8:01 pm
I looked up the Pepsi Coke thing and found a press release announcing Six Flags entered a 10-year? partnership with Cole a few years ago. It's on the corporate webpage. Also, I noticed Wildnerness Theater was on the map this year, has it always been? I thought it was used only for private events. Anything happening there? Maybe plans for an outdoor venue?
ernstwhere

Postby UnclePennybags on June 4th, 2021, 8:58 am
ernstwhere wrote:...I noticed Wildnerness Theater was on the map this year, has it always been? I thought it was used only for private events. Anything happening there? Maybe plans for an outdoor venue?

Wilderness Theatre has been on the maps for years. Nothing has changed here.
UnclePennybags

Postby ernstwhere on June 4th, 2021, 6:19 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
ernstwhere wrote:...I noticed Wildnerness Theater was on the map this year, has it always been? I thought it was used only for private events. Anything happening there? Maybe plans for an outdoor venue?

Wilderness Theatre has been on the maps for years. Nothing has changed here.

Thanks. I remember the Marriott days of the dolphin show. Has it been utilized for the general public since? And yes, Wilderness Theatre.
ernstwhere

Postby UnclePennybags on June 4th, 2021, 7:05 pm
ernstwhere wrote:I remember the Marriott days of the dolphin show. Has it been utilized for the general public since? And yes, Wilderness Theatre.

I think the dolphin shows stopped in 1986, replaced by high-divers in 1987. By the mid-90's. I don't see any more shows at this location. I think it's been used for groups in the Picnic Grove ever since (not sure about this). In years past, it was also used for Fright Fest shows.
UnclePennybags

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on June 5th, 2021, 2:18 am
Does anybody actually know what kind of work is being done on Roaring Rapids that would require it to be closed for the entire season? Specific details?
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby sfgamnthemoon on June 5th, 2021, 7:08 am
TwistedSTEEL666 wrote:Does anybody actually know what kind of work is being done on Roaring Rapids that would require it to be closed for the entire season? Specific details?

I heard that concrete is getting replaced.
sfgamnthemoon

Postby ernstwhere on June 5th, 2021, 9:50 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
ernstwhere wrote:I remember the Marriott days of the dolphin show. Has it been utilized for the general public since? And yes, Wilderness Theatre.

I think the dolphin shows stopped in 1986, replaced by high-divers in 1987. By the mid-90's. I don't see any more shows at this location. I think it's been used for groups in the Picnic Grove ever since (not sure about this). In years past, it was also used for Fright Fest shows.

Thanks. Yes, I remember a private event letting out from the Theatre and assumed it's only used for groups now. I looked behind the back wall in Camp Cartoon and the original sign/gateway was still there.
ernstwhere

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on June 5th, 2021, 11:27 am
sfgamnthemoon wrote:
TwistedSTEEL666 wrote:Does anybody actually know what kind of work is being done on Roaring Rapids that would require it to be closed for the entire season? Specific details?

That's it? They are not doing anything else, like add new soakers to the ride/ or repair them? What about getting the waterfall over the tunnel entrance turned back on?
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby coasterfanatic on June 5th, 2021, 11:32 am
TwistedSTEEL666 wrote:
sfgamnthemoon wrote:

That's it? They are not doing anything else, like add new soakers to the ride/ or repair them? What about getting the waterfall over the tunnel entrance turned back on?
No one knows the exact scope of the work being done on Rapids. All I’ve been told is that it needs “a lot of work”. The plan is to get all the work done that it needs and it have it reopen next year.

No one if any of this work has begun. The park has removed the sign but that’s not uncommon in a year when a ride won’t open and is going through a refurb.

Again, plans could change. I think it would be a mistake for the park not to spend the money to fix the ride, but what the company decides in terms of how to allocated funds and stuff remains to be seen.

All we know is that Rapids is closed for 2021 and is planning on getting a major refurbishment. From the few times I’ve been to the park, I have NOT seen any signs of anything being work on but only time will tell.

coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 6th, 2021, 11:05 am
Recently RMC retracked parts of Tremors at Silverwood. I’m not sure if this was just a one time thing for them or if they might do more retracks like this, but I think American Eagle might have a bigger chance of having RMC retrack it like this than GCI. What do you guys think about this?

Here’s a CoasterForce pov of the retracking: https://youtu.be/CmqINxez6d8
SFGAM_Hog

Postby coasterfanatic on June 6th, 2021, 12:01 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Recently RMC retracked parts of Tremors at Silverwood. I’m not sure if this was just a one time thing for them or if they might do more retracks like this, but I think American Eagle might have a bigger chance of having RMC retrack it like this than GCI. What do you guys think about this?

I think RMCing Eagle is probably the most likely route. They had plans to do that before RMC saw Wolfs space and said they can do a brand new coaster there. I’m assuming those plans are still saved some where. And can easily be tweaked if needed.

coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 6th, 2021, 7:25 pm
I hope they are planning to do something with Eagle soon! I forgot to mention that I noticed there were pink bands tied around some of the railings on Eagle’s lift. Have they always been there? They could just be replacing only those couple of railings but I don’t know if they’ve been there a long time.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 6th, 2021, 10:37 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Recently RMC retracked parts of Tremors at Silverwood. I’m not sure if this was just a one time thing for them or if they might do more retracks like this, but I think American Eagle might have a bigger chance of having RMC retrack it like this than GCI. What do you guys think about this?

I think RMCing Eagle is probably the most likely route. They had plans to do that before RMC saw Wolfs space and said they can do a brand new coaster there. I’m assuming those plans are still saved some where. And can easily be tweaked if needed.

Didn't they repaint only the lift hill on Eagle a couple of years ago? That could indicate an RMC makeover since they'll keep the lift hill intact most likely and rework everything else.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Airboss on June 9th, 2021, 6:38 pm
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/reserve

Reservation Update
Effective Friday, June 11 reservations will no longer be required prior to your visit.
Airboss

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum