Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Former Great America rides - which ones would you bring back

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Porkchop23 on October 15th, 2020, 8:09 am
This came up in my memories today. I took this picture 9 years ago. This was the former Tidal Wave, renamed “Greezed Lightnin’”, painted green, and left abandoned at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. I’d bring it back for nostalgia.
Porkchop23

Postby ilrider on October 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm
^I would love this one back, definitely. I used to ride it over and over. Never had much of a line.

My other two are Sky Whirl (nice long break and great views) and Power Dive. That ride always freaked the heck out of me. The restraints were awful when they smashed them down on your lap, but when that thing went upside down, and all the change started falling out of pockets, you swore it was going to get stuck inverted, it moved so slowly at the top. Very thrilling ride. Was sad to see that one go.
ilrider

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 15th, 2020, 2:03 pm
ilrider wrote:^I would love this one back, definitely. I used to ride it over and over. Never had much of a line.

My other two are Sky Whirl (nice long break and great views) and Power Dive. That ride always freaked the heck out of me. The restraints were awful when they smashed them down on your lap, but when that thing went upside down, and all the change started falling out of pockets, you swore it was going to get stuck inverted, it moved so slowly at the top. Very thrilling ride. Was sad to see that one go.

I rode Power Dive a few times. I concur with your comments about that uncomfortable lapbar and the change falling out!!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby ilrider on October 15th, 2020, 3:50 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
ilrider wrote:^I would love this one back, definitely. I used to ride it over and over. Never had much of a line.

I rode Power Dive a few times. I concur with your comments about that uncomfortable lapbar and the change falling out!!

If you remember, they purposely smashed the lap bar down really heavily on your, ahem, lap both before and after the ride, then the lap bar backed off a bit for the ride and released fully after the ride. Everyone would start yelling both times that happened, especially the guys. It was hilarious but very uncomfortable. The shoulder harness was also really heavy on the chest because it curved inward toward the chest and had a lot of weight to it. Got to love those Intamin restraints!
ilrider

Postby BCarroll on December 28th, 2020, 2:23 pm
This is not technically a former ride, but a former plan. I dug up this old artist drawing of what Hurricane Harbor and its hotel would've looked like if built across the tollway. Very interesting!
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 10.55.07 AM.png
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby gottastrata33 on December 28th, 2020, 2:35 pm
IVE NEVER SEEN THAT. This always blows my mind it didn’t happen this way. To think of the expansion we would have had along SWT.

I remember a giant banner/sign that was along side Ragin’ Cajun that showed an art rendering of Hurricane Harbor in 2004. I was in awe that we were getting this massive water park. & Then it never got approved to go in the “industrial park” past the highway sadly.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on December 29th, 2020, 7:45 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:IVE NEVER SEEN THAT. This always blows my mind it didn’t happen this way. To think of the expansion we would have had along SWT.

I remember a giant banner/sign that was along side Ragin’ Cajun that showed an art rendering of Hurricane Harbor in 2004. I was in awe that we were getting this massive water park. & Then it never got approved to go in the “industrial park” past the highway sadly.

I think your timetable and history is a little off here. The plan for across the highway was active in 97/98. And I found an article saying it was actually approved by the Plan Commission, and was going to go in front of the Village Board. I can't currently find any articles past that, but my memory is that Six Flags pulled the plan (this was the same era where they were going from Time Warner to Premier Parks, so I assume it was all part of that).

Hurricane Harbor was announced at the end of the 2004 season and was always going to go where it went. I don't know what the rendering might have shown, but maybe you were just confused from the few years before, since by that point the 'Entertainment Village' idea was already dead.

Search Six Flags Great America Entertainment Village for some articles and board meeting notes about this (and if anybody can find any more, share!)
anewman35

Postby ernstwhere on December 31st, 2020, 2:55 pm
Thanks for all of this re The Entertainment Village. I seem to remember during the Marriott era there was talk of a water park across the Toll Way. But maybe that was only wishful thinking at the time. The concept art is very cool, where did you find it? And, any word about the Sports Complex proposed across from The Eagle? Happy New Year all.
ernstwhere

Postby gottastrata33 on January 1st, 2021, 7:58 am
anewman35 wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:IVE NEVER SEEN THAT. This always blows my mind it didn’t happen this way. To think of the expansion we would have had along SWT.

I think your timetable and history is a little off here. The plan for across the highway was active in 97/98. And I found an article saying it was actually approved by the Plan Commission, and was going to go in front of the Village Board. I can't currently find any articles past that, but my memory is that Six Flags pulled the plan (this was the same era where they were going from Time Warner to Premier Parks, so I assume it was all part of that).

Hurricane Harbor was announced at the end of the 2004 season and was always going to go where it went. I don't know what the rendering might have shown, but maybe you were just confused from the few years before, since by that point the 'Entertainment Village' idea was already dead.

Search Six Flags Great America Entertainment Village for some articles and board meeting notes about this (and if anybody can find any more, share!)

I'm not off, I just know there was a sign there In 2004, much like we see concept work for new rides throughout the park today. It was a huge drawing of the entire park. & I actually Had no idea about the water park being planned there in the 90s, that's crazy. But I did know it was talked about A LOT that year (2004 when HH was announced) that it was supposed to go across the highway so I could have just gotten my info wrong from others or misunderstood cause of the discussions around that time.
gottastrata33

Postby Coaster Justin on January 2nd, 2021, 1:01 pm
Waterpark planned in the 90s? Try 80s

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/04/26 ... 451803600/

CHICAGO -- Bally Manufacturing Corp. Tuesday announced a $114.5 million tentative agreement to purchase a seventh amusement park, Marriott Corp.'s Great America in north suburban Gurnee.

Bally plans to expand and improve the 325-acre park in Gurnee and change its name to 'Six Flags Great America' in line with Bally's six other Six Flags parks in St. Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Houston and New Jersey, Bally president Robert E. Mullane said.

Bally, which is based on the city's North Side, is one of the largest manufacturers of amusement devices in the world.

Exact terms of the agreement are still being finalized, but Mullane said Bally expected to have control of the park by Memorial Day, the start of the amusement park season.

By mid-summer, Bally hopes to have a $4.5 million 'Colorado Rapids' ride in place at the park. The ride would simulate the actual raft ride along the Colorado River, Mullane said.

Bally has also planned to install a $12 million water park adjacent to the amusement park that would feature water-type rides, Mullane said.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterDave316 on January 3rd, 2021, 2:09 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:
anewman35 wrote:

I'm not off, I just know there was a sign there In 2004, much like we see concept work for new rides throughout the park today. It was a huge drawing of the entire park. & I actually Had no idea about the water park being planned there in the 90s, that's crazy. But I did know it was talked about A LOT that year (2004 when HH was announced) that it was supposed to go across the highway so I could have just gotten my info wrong from others or misunderstood cause of the discussions around that time.

The signs you saw around the park with the concept art was for the current SFHH in it's current location. The concept drawing for the waterpark across the highway were from the 90's. If I recall correctly widening the Washington Street Bridge that goes under the interstate, and building a pedestrian bridge over or under the interstate were some of the major hurdles that never got resolved for building the waterpark across the interstate.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby BCarroll on January 4th, 2021, 3:40 pm
The artist rendering that I posted was from 1998, appearing in a piece of my local newspaper.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby gottastrata33 on January 6th, 2021, 2:30 am
I know LOL I know what it was for/when. The only thing I was clearly very lost on was the timeline of when the water park was supposed to be across the highway, not the old bus lot it currently sits in today. Let's move on to what ride we'd all bring back ;)
gottastrata33

Postby BCarroll on January 6th, 2021, 8:25 pm
I would be a much happier person if King Choas was never removed for the 100-foot circle. I miss KC's fun and intense rides it used to give. For some reason, KC was always one of my favorite flats at the park, beside Giant Drop and Triple Play.
BCarroll

Postby jasonm on January 12th, 2021, 7:59 pm
Rolling Thunder
jasonm

Postby gottastrata33 on February 23rd, 2021, 4:46 am
BCarroll wrote:I would be a much happier person if King Choas was never removed for the 100-foot circle. I miss KC's fun and intense rides it used to give. For some reason, KC was always one of my favorite flats at the park, beside Giant Drop and Triple Play.

I'm sorry but how?! lol Now before I hate on Kc, I'll say it did fit in very well. Loved its paint job & fountain area so much more than what is there now. But damn that thing had a horrible ride cycle in comparison to some other topspins & those restraints weren't great. But I'm aware it was loved. They could have kept it.

I will also say I like Hangover - which is weird. I love the name. So much lol. It's a cliche theme park ride everyone knows & loves to ride. Calling it a coaster is lame. I agree But I think It looks nice, I just wish they were able to keep KC & add that ride in along joker or something. Something. They could have had both I think.

As for Rolling Thunder, I rode It in NY & it was so fun. Sad it was so short lived here.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on February 23rd, 2021, 3:32 pm
jasonm wrote:Rolling Thunder

YES! I never got to ride this one. I did ride La Vibora in Texas and loved that ride.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on February 24th, 2021, 4:39 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
jasonm wrote:Rolling Thunder

YES! I never got to ride this one. I did ride La Vibora in Texas and loved that ride.

Oh wow I forgot about La Vibora. These rides are fun. I wonder if it would have stayed popular here. RT that is.
gottastrata33

Postby BCarroll on February 28th, 2021, 6:30 pm
gottastrata33 wrote: I'm sorry but how?! lol Now before I hate on Kc, I'll say it did fit in very well. Loved its paint job & fountain area so much more than what is there now. But damn that thing had a horrible ride cycle in comparison to some other topspins & those restraints weren't great. But I'm aware it was loved. They could have kept it.

I think for me it was a case of nostalgia that made me love it so much. Yeah, the cycle was not the most lively and the restraints were quite uncomfortable; however, the times I've had riding it and the people I have ridden it with gives King Chaos a place in my hear. In a way its like when something can be so bad but you love it so much!
BCarroll

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 8th, 2021, 4:11 pm
BCarroll wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote: I'm sorry but how?! lol Now before I hate on Kc, I'll say it did fit in very well. Loved its paint job & fountain area so much more than what is there now. But damn that thing had a horrible ride cycle in comparison to some other topspins & those restraints weren't great. But I'm aware it was loved. They could have kept it.

I think for me it was a case of nostalgia that made me love it so much. Yeah, the cycle was not the most lively and the restraints were quite uncomfortable; however, the times I've had riding it and the people I have ridden it with gives King Chaos a place in my hear. In a way its like when something can be so bad but you love it so much!

I just started riding King Chaos right before it was removed. I liked the ride and wish we still had it instead of the super loop.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on April 29th, 2021, 3:59 am
I don't mind havin the loop to be honest. I love the name. What I mind is them getting rid of the fountain in front of chaos. They over did it with that que. Bring back the fountain & gators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 3rd, 2021, 8:35 am
^ I'm starting to not mind the super loop. It's not bad. Also it does look very nice at night!!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on January 12th, 2024, 7:05 pm
I would bring back Deja Vu in a heartbeat. I rode it at Silverwood and it was fantastic. There's a great spot up for grabs that would fit it perfectly...
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum