Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 15th, 2020, 1:37 pm
Has anyone heard if SF STL will have rides open during HITP? I've been there 2x already this year and had a great time! All rides were open for the most part. I just went there 10/11 and managed to get on 15 total rides.

They tried to enforce 6 feet spacing in lines but with an irony: they were trying to enforce horizontal spacing within each row in the queue but often there wasn't vertical spacing between each row! I commented to many others in line about this and they agreed with me it was kind of ridiculous.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on October 15th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 15th, 2020, 1:47 pm
^Rides will be open at Six Flags St. Louis. Rides are only closed here because of Pritzker.
DejaVu2001

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 15th, 2020, 1:49 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^Rides will be open at Six Flags St. Louis. Rides are only closed here because of Pritzker.
Last I checked rides were closed because there’s a pandemic...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 15th, 2020, 1:55 pm
^ Last I checked, the pandemic is everywhere, so . . . .
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 15th, 2020, 1:58 pm
I've been to the following parks/recreation areas this summer and fall:
7/2 St. Louis Zoo (masks weren't really required except if indoors)

7/3 SF STL (masks were required except when eating or drinking)

7/25 Newport Aquarium (Newport, KY - on other side of river from Cincinnati) ( masks were required)

7/26 & 7/27 - Kings Island (masks were required except when eating and drinking or in mask-break areas)

7/28 - 7/30 - Great Wolf Lodge in OH (masks were NOT required in water area and very often people were not spaced out in lines)

8/7 Kings Island again (masks were required except when eating and drinking or in mask-break areas)

9/7 Chicago Botanic Gardens (masks were required inside and if 6 feet gap wasn't possible; people didn't always keep 6 feet gap)

10/10 Brookfield Zoo (masks required if 6 feet gap wasn't possible; all indoor exhibits closed; many/most people not wearing masks)

10/11 SF STL again (masks were required except when eating or drinking)

So what's my point? I and my family were very active this summer and early fall and went to many places where there were lots of people! And NONE of us has gotten corona. We (as well as many others around us) had our masks off whenever possible at each of these locations.

At some point, people either need to be willing to accept the fact that they could be exposed to it and be OK with that OR they can just stay home if they're worried about getting it.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby RobSFGAm on October 15th, 2020, 5:41 pm
RobSFGAm

Postby anewman35 on October 15th, 2020, 5:44 pm
For the record, today has the single highest one day total of cases in Illinois. That'll matter to some of you and not others, I realize that, and nobody is changing each others mind on that (so maybe just keep some of your thoughts to yourself for everybody's sake?).

I think we can generally agree that there's no real justification for keeping rides closed but allowing some of the things they are allowed (zoos, fall fests, etc), but they're also not going to lift any additional restrictions when things are getting worse. The basic problem is that by all rights Amusement Parks probably should have been in Phase 4 (like zoos and Water Parks and Malls were) but for whatever reason weren't.

If things had stayed the same or gotten better, I suspect they would have relaxed phase 4 a bit and allowed the park to open rides. But since then everything has gone downhill, so if anything they're going to close more stuff, not open more...
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on October 15th, 2020, 5:54 pm
anewman35 wrote:For the record, today has the single highest one day total of cases in Illinois. That'll matter to some of you and not others, I realize that, and nobody is changing each others mind on that (so maybe just keep some of your thoughts to yourself for everybody's sake?).

I think we can generally agree that there's no real justification for keeping rides closed but allowing some of the things they are allowed (zoos, fall fests, etc), but they're also not going to lift any additional restrictions when things are getting worse. The basic problem is that by all rights Amusement Parks probably should have been in Phase 4 (like zoos and Water Parks and Malls were) but for whatever reason weren't.

If things had stayed the same or gotten better, I suspect they would have relaxed phase 4 a bit and allowed the park to open rides. But since then everything has gone downhill, so if anything they're going to close more stuff, not open more...
Well said. And I agree that it doesn’t make sense.

When thinking about it, a lot of rides are generally social distances anyways (think of Fun Machine or Lonster). A ride like Batman, you’d be facing the back of the car in front of you.

Obviously a woodie or some other rides would need to have rows skipped. Not sure why they were so sticklers about it seeing as we know the risk drops at social distanced outdoor activities (as compared).

As I have stated, I believe that having a lot of guests coming from Wisconsin played a role. They aren’t following precautions, they aren’t wearing masks so perhaps they thought that would be more of an issue (to enforce the mask policy) because a lot of people come from there. Wisconsin’s positive rate is 18%. Ours has climbed but sits at 4.9%.

They obviously have looked at data from other parks too. But it is strange. The state allows 20% at a sporting event but not allow a theme park to open?

Perhaps they didn’t trust Hank and management themselves. It’s hard to enforce social distancing in line and stuff like that. And Hank really only cares about finances and budgets. So whatever he can do to save money and hit budget he will.

If the park opened, you know it would be a shit show anyways with lots of stuff still closed.

I was planning to go with a friend to Cedar Point but decided to skip after hearing about the whole access pass to go on rides and half the park being closed and stuff.

I’ll go to HITP but I’ll take a better functioning park in 2021 and rake in my free member upgrade til 2022.

coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on October 15th, 2020, 7:23 pm
I honestly don't think it was ever anything as specific as not trusting Hank or not trusting Six Flags or being too close to Wisconsin. When they were setting the phases, they were following CDC guidelines to the letter (more than any other state, in fact), and the CDC hadn't published any for permanent amusement parks (and weirdly seems still to have not, even though they do have them for 'traveling amusement parks and carnivals'). So it was easy for the state to sort of just ignore the issue (if you look at the initial 5 phase thing, it doesn't mention Amusement Parks at all). And once you set a rule like that, sort of hard to justify changing it when all evidence shows things are getting worse, not better.

If we had continued dropping after moving to phase 4, things would have probably been different but, well, you know...
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on October 15th, 2020, 9:41 pm
Yeah no rides or indoor shows but I mean they've already started putting up the lights and everything
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 17th, 2020, 1:43 pm
I wish people would stop with people are surviving it more then dying” bullshit!

I have more health problems now then before it as a result of it! It’s not about surviving anymore, it’s about what it’s doing to the human body in the long run!
I now have liver disease
I now have asthma
I know have Chronic headaches
I know have problems with my heart

In the long run it’s going to be much worse for me because of all the problems it has caused me!

Wear A Mask and stop spreading it!
States like Wisconsin, Florida, Missouri & many other need to get on board with guidelines or we will never get through this and the park won’t open till 2022!

B&MGuy35

Postby B&MGuy35 on October 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm
To respond:

No I was perfectly healthy before Covid
It has turned my life upside down

Theme parks and Amusement parks are my escape from the real world and all my problems I deal with in my life and they’ve always been. It’s somewhere I can not think about anything except having fun with fiends and enjoying rollercoasters all over the country.

I want these states to get inline or like I said things won’t change till 2022 at the rate we’re heading. I missed my home park this season but thankfully I was sick back in March through middle of June. So by begin getting of July I was able to start enjoying my summer a bit and I did manage to get to 6 different parks. Still I want my home park to open.

I’m just babbling now, but you get the point....

WEAR A MASK

B&MGuy35

Postby FParker185 on October 25th, 2020, 3:18 pm
So West Dundee rolled in and shut down Santas Village Drive Thru trick or treat event due to the new heightened restrictions of people constitutional rights, $1 says SFGAm is not going to be allowed to open for Holiday in the Park either at this point.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby coasterfanatic on October 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Could be if they allow Lincoln Park to do Zoo Lights, no reason not to allow Six Flags to basically do the same.

coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 26th, 2020, 11:16 am
FParker185 wrote:So West Dundee rolled in and shut down Santas Village Drive Thru trick or treat event due to the new heightened restrictions of people constitutional rights, $1 says SFGAm is not going to be allowed to open for Holiday in the Park either at this point.

Do you mean EAST Dundee?? They are separate towns.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby FParker185 on October 26th, 2020, 10:51 pm
Always forget what side of the river SV is on, so to clear it up, it's Santas Village in East Dundee, not the Santas Village in West Dundee, sorry for the confusion
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby DejaVu2001 on October 28th, 2020, 11:54 am
Region 9 (Lake and McHenry county) has reached the threshold for Tier 1 mitigations under Pritzker's Restore Illinois plan. Assuming things don't get better, this means there will be absolutely no indoor dining permitted during Holiday In The Park Lights.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 28th, 2020, 2:26 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Region 9 (Lake and McHenry county) has reached the threshold for Tier 1 mitigations under Pritzker's Restore Illinois plan. Assuming things don't get better, this means there will be absolutely no indoor dining permitted during Holiday In The Park Lights.

WE just got email from D47 that our kids will return home for remote learning :(

They're calling it an "adaptive pause".

All parents were given the choice and the overwhelming majority (like 80% or 85% for both my kid's classes) chose the in person. Those that didn't select in person have remained remote.

They were doing remote from beginning of year until 10/2, and then in the building from 10/5 thru 11/3.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on November 13th, 2020, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on October 30th, 2020, 5:28 pm
This is what the Village of Gurnee is doing.
https://youtu.be/eonztGqlHTs?t=3
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 30th, 2020, 6:23 pm
staticshadows wrote:This is what the Village of Gurnee is doing.
https://youtu.be/eonztGqlHTs?t=3

Thanks for posting! Someone had posted a clip from the Orland Park mayor but it's been since removed :o

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on November 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/p ... -schedule/

Six Flags Great America has added three additional nights to Holiday In The Park Lights. Closing Day is now December 30th.
DejaVu2001

Postby anewman35 on December 9th, 2020, 1:11 pm
They're going to add a drive thru Holiday In The Park mid-December through January...

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/e ... experience
Last edited by anewman35 on December 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on December 9th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Just to make it perfectly clear, the drive-thru is an additional event running on nights regular Holiday In The Park Lights is not open. The regular Holiday In The Park Lights will still be open as a walk through on all of the previously announced dates.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 10th, 2020, 9:01 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Just to make it perfectly clear, the drive-thru is an additional event running on nights regular Holiday In The Park Lights is not open. The regular Holiday In The Park Lights will still be open as a walk through on all of the previously announced dates.

THANKS for clarifying that! It's a bit confusing.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JimPanky on January 9th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Anyone else going through roller coaster withdrawal? Tiger Terror anything. I need a dang coaster lol. My last ride was September 22nd 2019.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum