Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby got2havefun on July 22nd, 2020, 8:45 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
anewman35 wrote:From the park newsletter today:

We're officially re-opened and Hurricane Harbor Chicago is now taking reservations for ALL guests! For a limited time only, we are offering one-day admission to Hurricane Harbor Chicago for $24.99.
I saw newsletter. Still $30 to park your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope only $25!
got2havefun

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 22nd, 2020, 9:22 pm
ilrider wrote:We went to HH today. It was nice to have the smaller crowd, and the mask rules were very relaxed, as nobody in chairs or walking around was being asked to put them on. We only wore them into and out of the park. The chairs are nicely “social distanced” in groups of 2-4 and zip tied together, so masks would be overkill there anyway. They have taken a lot of chairs out that we saw in storage on the way out. I was happy to not have to wear a mask while sitting. We saw the water coaster sitting sadly in pieces in the back lot and saw the footers right next to Maxx Force. Next year hopefully.

It was a nice afternoon and felt good to be back in the park, even if no coasters.
This kinda pisses me off
When we were there on Monday makes were required anytime you weren’t riding an attraction and they were walking around telling people to put their masks on, which in my opinion needs to be followed even though you’re social distanced and separated on the seats.

B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 22nd, 2020, 10:13 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
ilrider wrote:We went to HH today. It was nice to have the smaller crowd, and the mask rules were very relaxed, as nobody in chairs or walking around was being asked to put them on. We only wore them into and out of the park. The chairs are nicely “social distanced” in groups of 2-4 and zip tied together, so masks would be overkill there anyway. They have taken a lot of chairs out that we saw in storage on the way out. I was happy to not have to wear a mask while sitting. We saw the water coaster sitting sadly in pieces in the back lot and saw the footers right next to Maxx Force. Next year hopefully.

It was a nice afternoon and felt good to be back in the park, even if no coasters.
This kinda pisses me off
When we were there on Monday makes were required anytime you weren’t riding an attraction and they were walking around telling people to put their masks on, which in my opinion needs to be followed even though you’re social distanced and separated on the seats.

Agreed. With the park can’t enforce the rules now, they are never going to get approval from the state to open the dry park.

coasterfanatic

Postby JT2002 on July 23rd, 2020, 5:05 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:

This kinda pisses me off

From what I saw today, there is enforcement of wearing masks when distancing of over 6 feet is not possible. Also if someone is just walking around with clothes on and not getting wet then employees ask them to wear a mask. Procedures haven't changed. Also some more trading in the dry park btw, there was a big group walking around that looked like park services (cleaning crew)
JT2002

Postby JT2002 on July 23rd, 2020, 5:08 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Yeah. JB announced total that cases in Illinois are on a gradual increase and he’s “very concerned”. So I doubt he’d let Six Flags open considering all that. See you in 2021.

His concern I believe is the southern part of Illinois, where a couple of zones have been seeing higher spikes in cases that are the main contributor to the overall state rise in cases. Northwest Illinois has seen a small increase but not enough I don't think to shut things down other than maybe bars
JT2002

Postby ilrider on July 23rd, 2020, 5:54 pm
Most schools are going back remotely now. The park’s not opening in my mind. This uptick in cases has everyone in a panic (even though the case number is up because the testing is up). Deaths are way down.
ilrider

Postby anewman35 on July 23rd, 2020, 7:25 pm
ilrider wrote:Most schools are going back remotely now. The park’s not opening in my mind. This uptick in cases has everyone in a panic (even though the case number is up because the testing is up). Deaths are way down.

The positivity rate has been increasing too, which means that cases are not just going up because testing is going up. Still very low compared to a lot of places, but not going in the right direction. Deaths are still low, but lag cases by a few weeks. Better to be "in a panic' now and nip things in the bud while still fairly low instead of ignoring it until it IS a gigantic problem and too big to stop (see the south and west)
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on July 23rd, 2020, 8:43 pm
"According to IDPH's regional metrics, this region (#4) has seen its positive test rate rise from 4.5% on July 8th to 6.9% on July 20th. Compare that to Chicago's region (#11), which has actually seen its rate drop from 4.1% to 3.9% in the same timeframe."

If the state does this by region, the park will probably be still okay to open. If they decide to close the whole state down we're toast.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby anewman35 on July 23rd, 2020, 8:59 pm
JT2002 wrote:"According to IDPH's regional metrics, this region (#4) has seen its positive test rate rise from 4.5% on July 8th to 6.9% on July 20th. Compare that to Chicago's region (#11), which has actually seen its rate drop from 4.1% to 3.9% in the same timeframe."

If the state does this by region, the park will probably be still okay to open. If they decide to close the whole state down we're toast.

The statewide rate was in the mid-2s earlier in the month. So even if the Chicago area isn't the biggest problem, it's still not where it was.

I don't expect the state to shut stuff down statewide at this point, but it also strikes me as unlikely they'd expand openings any time soon, especially since they've never publicaly said anything about Theme Parks even being a possibility before phase 5 as far as I am aware.
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 23rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
anewman35 wrote:
JT2002 wrote:"According to IDPH's regional metrics, this region (#4) has seen its positive test rate rise from 4.5% on July 8th to 6.9% on July 20th. Compare that to Chicago's region (#11), which has actually seen its rate drop from 4.1% to 3.9% in the same timeframe."

The statewide rate was in the mid-2s earlier in the month. So even if the Chicago area isn't the biggest problem, it's still not where it was.

I don't expect the state to shut stuff down statewide at this point, but it also strikes me as unlikely they'd expand openings any time soon, especially since they've never publicaly said anything about Theme Parks even being a possibility before phase 5 as far as I am aware.
Yes. I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand. Lake counties region will not be the sole deciding factor. The state will be looking at Milwaukee and areas of Wisconsin too.

I don’t see them giving approval to open theme parks. When Phase 4 was announced, he said “theme parks will remain closed” The park has been talking to the state but if they find out about their lack of enforcement of current procedures, he’s definitely not going to give them approval!

coasterfanatic

Postby ilrider on July 23rd, 2020, 10:13 pm

We are region 9, Lake and McHenry, not 4. Our positivity rate is 4% today and has held around there for several weeks. We are doing well in this area of the state. But as others said, we have to consider more than this region. It is just a shame, though, because parks are open all over the country.
ilrider

Postby JT2002 on July 24th, 2020, 11:03 am
ilrider wrote:

We are region 9, Lake and McHenry, not 4. Our positivity rate is 4% today and has held around there for several weeks. We are doing well in this area of the state. But as others said, we have to consider more than this region. It is just a shame, though, because parks are open all over the country.

I know, I'm sorry I forgot to mention region 4 is down south. I was trying to compare that to our region and chicago who is doing much better
JT2002

Postby ilrider on July 25th, 2020, 4:55 pm
^Got it. I saw the quotes and wondered if it was just something from a news article, but I just wanted to be clear since we are doing better up where the park is than some other regions.
ilrider

Postby SfGaMownz on July 30th, 2020, 12:41 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sgvtri ... -fest/amp/

Fright fest still a go for six flags. For our park obviously highly questionable.
SfGaMownz

Postby anewman35 on August 4th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Santa's Village is giving up on opening this season...

https://santasvillagedundee.com/coronavirus-update/
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on August 4th, 2020, 6:14 pm
anewman35 wrote:Santa's Village is giving up on opening this season...

https://santasvillagedundee.com/coronavirus-update/
No surprise. I expect Great America to announce the same like much of the Cedar Fair parks just announced. magic Mountain announced Hurricane Harbor won’t open for remainder of year either.

coasterfanatic

Postby RobSFGAm on August 4th, 2020, 8:48 pm
Will Six Flags just extends everyone pass (if it was not use it this year) like Santa Village or does each pass holder have to contact the park?

Per Santa's Village:
"we will be extending your 2020 season passes to be valid at Santa Springs for the rest of the 2020 season as well as the ENTIRE 2021 season for both the amusement and water park. There will be no additional cost to you, and no action is required on your part.
RobSFGAm

Postby coasterfanatic on August 4th, 2020, 8:50 pm
RobSFGAm wrote:Will Six Flags just extends everyone pass (if it was not use it this year) like Santa Village or does each pass holder have to contact the park?

Per Santa's Village:
"we will be extending your 2020 season passes to be valid at Santa Springs for the rest of the 2020 season as well as the ENTIRE 2021 season for both the amusement and water park. There will be no additional cost to you, and no action is required on your part.
If our park doesn’t open, they will extend passes but they said it’s a day to day extension, so if we don’t open all year, then they will extend them into end of next year since total number of operating days will be relatively the same.

coasterfanatic

Postby JimPanky on August 9th, 2020, 9:24 am
I do not think we will see coasters this season. Im curious to see if they consider still doing haunted houses.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby anewman35 on August 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
JimPanky wrote:I do not think we will see coasters this season. Im curious to see if they consider still doing haunted houses.

That seems even less likely to me then coasters (indoors, tight spaces, etc)
anewman35

Postby JimPanky on August 9th, 2020, 10:24 am
Yeah I agree. The only thing that made me think that is that they show dining on the map on their website (not in the app) but not rides.

JimPanky

Postby ernstwhere on August 9th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Did anyone else take the Fright Fest survey? It suggested all kinds of scenarios, even staying in your car interacting with FF scare actors. FF could happen in a much different form, but that depends on the state I guess.
ernstwhere

Postby JimPanky on August 10th, 2020, 9:10 am
Drive-Thru

JimPanky

Postby coasterfanatic on August 28th, 2020, 8:30 pm
From what I’ve heard, the water park closed September 7 and then that’s it! They aren’t planning on opening for the rest of the year as it looks unlikely that they will get approval from the state.

coasterfanatic

Postby Carlo on August 28th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Holiday in the park is still listed. Out of all of the festivals, I think they could run that without rides or do a drive thru.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum