Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Now Open at 25% Capacity, Bridge Phase May 14th

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby B&MGuy35 on July 20th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Even though it’s just the waterpark today, it’s so good to be back!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 20th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Yeah. Kings Island apparently was getting no where close to reaching the lower capacity numbers so they decided to ditch the reservation system. Cedar Point Nation talked about it on Facebook. Cedar Point continues to be much busier.

The question will be what rides will be open if/when the park gets approval. My guess is that no indoor rides will operate.

coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 20th, 2020, 1:30 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Yeah. Kings Island apparently was getting no where close to reaching the lower capacity numbers so they decided to ditch the reservation system. Cedar Point Nation talked about it on Facebook. Cedar Point continues to be much busier.

The question will be what rides will be open if/when the park gets approval. My guess is that no indoor rides will operate.

Thanks for that info about Kings Island! Hopefully it's still slow on 7/26 and 7/27
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Carlo on July 20th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Is anyone able to make a reservation for Great America's hurricane harbor after July 26th? All the dates after that date are grayed out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby anewman35 on July 20th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Carlo wrote:Is anyone able to make a reservation for Great America's hurricane harbor after July 26th? All the dates after that date are grayed out.

I guess that does seem like a sign that maybe they DO expect to open the whole park then (so there wouldn't be water park only reservations)... But if that was the case I'd have to assume we'd hear something, like, today...
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 20th, 2020, 1:56 pm
anewman35 wrote:
Carlo wrote:Is anyone able to make a reservation for Great America's hurricane harbor after July 26th? All the dates after that date are grayed out.

I guess that does seem like a sign that maybe they DO expect to open the whole park then (so there wouldn't be water park only reservations)... But if that was the case I'd have to assume we'd hear something, like, today...
I still think it’s unlikely. I doubt the park would be ready by next week. JB has a press conference today and nary a peep about amusement parks reopening.

coasterfanatic

Postby ilrider on July 20th, 2020, 5:31 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Even though it’s just the waterpark today, it’s so good to be back!Image

Please let us know how the mask situation was handled once in HH. Were you able to move between attractions without them since they are not required on the attractions?
ilrider

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 20th, 2020, 5:49 pm
ilrider wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:Even though it’s just the waterpark today, it’s so good to be back!Image

Please let us know how the mask situation was handled once in HH. Were you able to move between attractions without them since they are not required on the attractions?
Yes you can go from attraction to attraction without them. However if you’re just walking around you need a mask on. If you’re just sitting, you need a mask on. There are security guards walking and asking people to put their masks on and telling those that have theirs just covering their mouths to pull it up and wear it properly. They are constantly wiping chairs and railings off as well. The big tube slide has a sanitizing station for the tube once you get off it. Other tubes are just being taken from you and turned upside down and pushed into the water to rinse them off. So there’s an additional person in the splash down pool with the lifeguard who’s job is too just take the tube from you when you are done.

B&MGuy35

Postby ilrider on July 20th, 2020, 5:53 pm
^Cool, thanks! You said people who were just walking around had to wear a mask. Were people who seemed to be heading to an attraction without masks being harassed by security? Guess we just need to walk with a purpose, huh? :D
ilrider

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 20th, 2020, 9:36 pm
No because you can kinda tell when someone is coming from an attraction. They’re soaking wet. I didn’t see anyone get harassed that appeared to be going to attractions. People that were just coming in and looking for somewhere to sit were getting stopped if they had thier masks on wrong or not on at all.

B&MGuy35

Postby UnclePennybags on July 20th, 2020, 10:10 pm
Comparing it to the smallest number of people you've ever seen in the water park, how busy was it? What were the lines like at the Dining locations?
UnclePennybags

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 20th, 2020, 10:25 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:Comparing it to the smallest number of people you've ever seen in the water park, how busy was it? What were the lines like at the Dining locations?
Lines were nonexistent!
I’ve never seen it this empty before. LOL
Also there’s the mobile ordering now which I did for out lunch at Strutters. Ordered it, and by the time I got there it was waiting for me.

Even the lines for the slides weren’t bad
There was maybe 3 people waiting on the stairs to ride.

B&MGuy35

Postby anewman35 on July 20th, 2020, 10:38 pm
Was anything open in the main park (not rides, obviously)? Did they have the path pretty blocked off so you could only get to HH and nowhere else?
anewman35

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 20th, 2020, 11:35 pm
Strutters
Drink Kiosk by Whizzer & Columbia
Cotton Candy Factory CP
Flags CP
Victory Lane is open
Sweet Shop HTS
Funnel Cake HTS
Trolley Treats HTS
Member services is open
Dippin Dots in HTS & SWT is open
Waterin Hole ST
That’s all I’ve noticed so far in the main park.

The midways are blocked off with fences at the entrance to Orleans Place, the bridge by the lobster & just last the watering hole in SWT.

B&MGuy35

Postby UnclePennybags on July 21st, 2020, 1:23 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:Comparing it to the smallest number of people you've ever seen in the water park, how busy was it? What were the lines like at the Dining locations?
Lines were nonexistent!

This a bit sad, actually. I mean, good for you, but sad for the park.

Part of me was hoping that there'd be this flood of pent up demand that'd descend on the park like a capacity-limited swarm of locusts. Now I'm concerned with how the park can make money with so few people attending. I'd love to see the park do well throughout this summer.
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterfanatic on July 21st, 2020, 1:58 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:
Lines were nonexistent!

Part of me was hoping that there'd be this flood of pent up demand that'd descend on the park like a capacity-limited swarm of locusts. Now I'm concerned with how the park can make money with so few people attending. I'd love to see the park do well throughout this summer.
It seems to be a trend across all theme parks. Cedar Point and Kings Island just dropped the reservation system because apparently they were not hitting anywhere near the capacity limits. CP was apparently only at 10%. But it makes sense. Most people visiting right now are season pass holders.

I go to CP every year but why should I spend the money to go this year with half the park closed?! And 4 of the coasters you need to get an access pass for.

Great America will be the same way if they open. The place will be a shit show with likely very little open and only one train on any coasters that are open. I doubt the state will allow them to open any indoor rides either.

coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on July 21st, 2020, 2:13 pm
It really doesn't surprise me at all that it wouldn't be busy, because first off they seemingly limited it to a very small number (and filled up that number). It'll be more interesting to see what happens if they raise the limit (or remove it entirely).

But, even then I don't really think it would be that much, because a large portion of the population just isn't going to go no matter what (we are in a pandemic, after all), and of the other people, some portion would consider it but don't want to deal with the pandemic changes, or don't want to go with fewer rides open, or lost their job and can't afford it. The portion of people left over isn't gonna be huge...
anewman35

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 21st, 2020, 4:24 pm
You guys have to also remember that this first week is pass holders and members only. Once they open it to regular ticketed guests will that change next week? No one knows but yea I don’t think people are comfortable yet going to a Amusement Park, just look how empty Universal studios has Ben and they’ve been open going on 2 months now.

B&MGuy35

Postby JT2002 on July 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:
Lines were nonexistent!

Talked with some retail dudes and yeah they're barely making a profit. From what I got it's not so much there are less people than expected, just less people making additional purchases like with food and retail (especially walking between the front entrance and the water park). But they're still pushing forward. The more they can get ready the more profitable they'll be when the park opens. Also, games is getting stuff ready and a few more rides are getting testing and maintenance.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby CoasterDemon on July 22nd, 2020, 1:14 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Other than employees working in the water park (and shops between the front gate and the water park), no training has been started.

No big change there.

Sorry, it was too easy :mrgreen:
CoasterDemon

Postby coasterfanatic on July 22nd, 2020, 1:50 pm
Yeah. JB announced total that cases in Illinois are on a gradual increase and he’s “very concerned”. So I doubt he’d let Six Flags open considering all that. See you in 2021.

coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on July 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
From the park newsletter today:

We're officially re-opened and Hurricane Harbor Chicago is now taking reservations for ALL guests! For a limited time only, we are offering one-day admission to Hurricane Harbor Chicago for $24.99.
anewman35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 22nd, 2020, 3:18 pm
anewman35 wrote:From the park newsletter today:

We're officially re-opened and Hurricane Harbor Chicago is now taking reservations for ALL guests! For a limited time only, we are offering one-day admission to Hurricane Harbor Chicago for $24.99.
I saw newsletter. Still $30 to park your car?

coasterfanatic

Postby ilrider on July 22nd, 2020, 6:54 pm
We went to HH today. It was nice to have the smaller crowd, and the mask rules were very relaxed, as nobody in chairs or walking around was being asked to put them on. We only wore them into and out of the park. The chairs are nicely “social distanced” in groups of 2-4 and zip tied together, so masks would be overkill there anyway. They have taken a lot of chairs out that we saw in storage on the way out. I was happy to not have to wear a mask while sitting. We saw the water coaster sitting sadly in pieces in the back lot and saw the footers right next to Maxx Force. Next year hopefully.

It was a nice afternoon and felt good to be back in the park, even if no coasters.
ilrider

Postby got2havefun on July 22nd, 2020, 8:44 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
anewman35 wrote:From the park newsletter today:

I saw newsletter. Still $30 to park your car?

Nope only $25!
got2havefun

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum