Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Would you go the park? (Covid-19)

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on May 7th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Trying to keep this separate from the thread more about if/when the park will even open...

Would/will you go to the park if it requires reservations, masks, social distancing, lots of things closed, etc?
anewman35

Postby CoasterMike on May 7th, 2020, 5:39 pm
Yes, I would. It’s better than just staying at home all day with nothing to do.
CoasterMike

Postby anewman35 on May 7th, 2020, 6:09 pm
anewman35 wrote:Trying to keep this separate from the thread more about if/when the park will even open...

Would/will you go to the park if it requires reservations, masks, social distancing, lots of things closed, etc?

I wouldn't. Just not worth it with the masks and the avoiding people and all that. Maybe if things loosen up in a while, or people who go say that it's fine (like, they let so few people in that it's easy to social distance). But I know what the park going public is like - they're not gonna want to follow rules, and I'm not into that.
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on May 7th, 2020, 8:45 pm
I'd go tomorrow if IL and WI would give their OK. I've been stuck at home for the last 6+ weeks and don't like waiting around for something that might kill me. I'd rather take it head on and just get it over with.
UnclePennybags

Postby MrsTaxi on May 7th, 2020, 8:46 pm
Yes, but probably not as often. It's my happy place.
MrsTaxi

Postby UnclePennybags on May 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm
MrsTaxi wrote:It's my happy place.

Mine too.
UnclePennybags

Postby JackGlass on May 7th, 2020, 8:52 pm
anewman35 wrote:
anewman35 wrote:Trying to keep this separate from the thread more about if/when the park will even open...

I wouldn't. Just not worth it with the masks and the avoiding people and all that. Maybe if things loosen up in a while, or people who go say that it's fine (like, they let so few people in that it's easy to social distance). But I know what the park going public is like - they're not gonna want to follow rules, and I'm not into that.

Agreed with anewman35. I'll just wait until next year.
JackGlass

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on May 7th, 2020, 8:54 pm
Before Six Flags released their tentative changes, I thought I could see myself at the park with some extra precautions. After Six Flags released their ideas and policies regarding the situation, and after giving it some more thought both relating to the policies and in general life aspects, I do not see myself at the park at all this year if it were to reopen.

Overall, I am glad of the measures Six Flags is taking. However, I believe it would be too much of an "inconvenience" to enjoy my time there. It's roughly 3 hours round trip for me to visit the park, and with all the proposed policies, I feel like I would be able to get on one ride an hour. And if I go, no matter what I do and no matter what the park does, the chance of contracting the disease is higher than staying at home. A part of me inside gets infuriated when I see people who don't follow the guidelines, and all the guests inside the park will never be 100% compliant.

I have a real itch to get back on coasters, but I really do not think it's worth the risk. At the moment, I really think its going to take a "Stage 5" scenario for me to be comfortable enough to return, where "With a vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period".
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby anewman35 on May 7th, 2020, 8:55 pm
MrsTaxi wrote:Yes, but probably not as often. It's my happy place.

That's the thing, mine too. I'm sure we all love it (even when we complain about it), that's why we're on this site (which is also why this very unscientific survey doesn't mean anything).

But I like the Park because it's fun. Would it be fun with masks and social distancing and defending my choices to family members? Not enough for me, I don't think.

That said, I hope it opens, for those who do want to go, and the employees, and I can see pics, etc.
anewman35

Postby RBullFan97 on May 7th, 2020, 9:54 pm
I go to Great America to escape the troubles of the real world and to have a good, stress-free time. But if I have to go wearing a mask and constantly worrying about the health and sanitation of everything around me then it really defeats the purpose of going to the park for me. I honestly just could not see myself having a good time if I were to go under these conditions.

So barring a swift end to this pandemic with the widespread distribution of an effective treatment or a vaccine, I think I'm just going to take 2020 off. Maybe a year long break from coasters will be good. It'll give me some time to refuel because honestly visiting the park so often can get tiring after awhile, as much as I love the place. Regardless of the situation though I will most likely be at the park in 2021, and hopefully it can be under much more normal circumstances.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Tardis1972 on May 8th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Yes I would(will) go to the when(if) it opens. But I would only go twice a month at the most.
Tardis1972

Postby RaceBoarder on May 11th, 2020, 6:35 pm
No. I learned long ago it's not in one's best interest to pick a fight with Darwin :lol: :twisted:
RaceBoarder

Postby Goku1910 on May 12th, 2020, 8:16 pm
Probably not, it will be almost impossible to have a good time with all the annoying distancing policies in place.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 13th, 2020, 3:03 pm
YES I would go! It's my happy place too.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on May 15th, 2020, 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby UnclePennybags on May 13th, 2020, 5:22 pm
Falcon wrote:...I am worried if they open too soon attendance will be so low that they will just close again. Sadly, they may find they loose the least amount of money with the gates closed

Funny, I was concerned about the opposite. How often will the park restrict attendance to the point where demand exceeds supply? That is, if I want to go to the park on a sunny Saturday, will there be so many people trying to get in that I can't reserve a spot for my family?

I'll be watching this forum closely to see exactly how the park will be implementing policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. I'm most concerned with having to wear a mask on a hot humid day. This sounds like an unpleasant experience. If this would be the norm, I'd be much less interested in visiting the park this summer.
UnclePennybags

Postby JT2002 on May 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm
I would definitely go if I could get a reservation for a few reasons.

1. If Six Flags follows similar policies like Shanghai Disneyland in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0JsysX_AYY I'm in

2. I really don't get why people care so much about wearing a mask. It's not that big of a deal. Everyone else has to do it so buck up or else you're going to get someone else sick. This virus has really shown how selfish and shortsighted some people can be. I know some masks are not the most comfortable, but neither is Demon and y'all still ride that. :lol:

3. The wait times probably won't be much of an issue depending on how many employees they have to run stuff and how many people are actually allowed in the park. It's hard to make a guess but I think wait lines won't be terrible at all.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby anewman35 on May 13th, 2020, 6:04 pm
JT2002 wrote:I would definitely go if I could get a reservation for a few reasons.

1. If Six Flags follows similar policies like Shanghai Disneyland in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0JsysX_AYY I'm in

I guess my question is, do you really think there's any chance that Six Flags will do anything remotely as well as Disney? If I was a person worried about the virus (and I am), I'd be skeptical even if Six Flags says the right things, because they're not usually the best at enforcing their rules.
anewman35

Postby locklin78 on May 14th, 2020, 7:18 am
Of course not, I don't wanna get the virus
locklin78

Postby JT2002 on May 14th, 2020, 3:06 pm
I agree with Coasterrider partially. But only if he wears a mask. I think it's a fair compromise. Hope to see ya in the park sometime though :D
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Tardis1972 on May 14th, 2020, 3:31 pm
^ Yeah same here(I mean about hoping to see you guys in the park once it opens). But I have no problem waiting for the park to open until it’s safe to. If I have to wear a mask then so be it.
Tardis1972

Postby JackGlass on May 15th, 2020, 8:13 am
The medical professionals know how lethal this virus is. That's why the entire world is having lock downs, not just Illinois. This isn't some conspiracy cooked up by Bill Gates and Dr. Fauci

I understand this is doing a lot of damage to the economy, but a lot of this damage could have been prevented if there was an actual plan in place. A basic income, Expanding Medicare to cover the virus, A moratorium on rent, property taxes and mortgages, etc.

If they reopen the economy too soon, this thing is going to spread like wildfire and we will be right back to where we started. That's why even though I love Six Flags, I'm going to sit it out for this year. I don't want to take any unnecessary chances of catching this thing, let alone spreading it to other people
JackGlass

Postby Carlo on May 15th, 2020, 6:27 pm
End of the day it does not matter what happens in politics as companies will open when they think it is safe and they can make money as well. This is why surveys have come out. It is to see if they are allowed to open and they do, will anyone come? Also I don't know if anyone heard but Great Adventures drive through Safari is going to open soon. It looks like its the first Six Flags park to open.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Carlo
Carlo

Postby Coaster Justin on May 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm
As someone who went to England with a cold/flu, Sure why Not.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby IssaCoaster on May 21st, 2020, 10:39 pm
So with already possibly having the virus( I need the antibody tests) I would go. But some of my family members at home are part of the vulnerable population. So it wouldn't be smart to go. With that being said, the virus is not bloody joke. If you happen to get even the moderate or mild case, it can hit you harder than most flu cases.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 26th, 2020, 4:06 pm
I would go today. We can't hide under the covers till 2021.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum