Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Fright Fest 2019 Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Coaster Critique on October 15th, 2019, 9:54 pm
Since Infected and 13th Order were so great this year, what other houses do you think could use a reimagining? Personally I think Big Top Terror should be rethemed. Maybe its just personal bias because I never found clowns to be that scary, but I think the strongest scenes in that maze were the scenes involving toys (not spoiling it but if you know you know). So I'd theme the whole thing to toys and dolls kinda like Blind Fury at SFSTL. Plus it would fit in more with it being in Kidzopolis.
Does anyone else miss the X-Flight Music?
#1 Steel - Intimidator 305
#1 Wood - Lightning Rod
#1 Hybrid - Steel Vengeance
#1 at SFGAm - X-Flight
Coaster Critique

Postby ChiefBeef234 on October 15th, 2019, 10:36 pm
Coaster Critique wrote:Since Infected and 13th Order were so great this year, what other houses do you think could use a reimagining? Personally I think Big Top Terror should be rethemed. Maybe its just personal bias because I never found clowns to be that scary, but I think the strongest scenes in that maze were the scenes involving toys (not spoiling it but if you know you know). So I'd theme the whole thing to toys and dolls kinda like Blind Fury at SFSTL. Plus it would fit in more with it being in Kidzopolis.
Rumor from scare actors is that infestation has already been picked for a refresh next year. They might do 2 houses again though. I'd personally want Infestation and Manslaughter to be replaced next year. Then big top and gates the year after.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby UnclePennybags on October 15th, 2019, 10:56 pm
ChiefBeef234 wrote:They might do 2 houses again though. I'd personally want Infestation and Manslaughter to be replaced next year. Then big top and gates the year after.

Isn't Gates of Hell one of the best Haunted Houses? I'm going this weekend and am trying to plan out which haunts I'm going to visit. Reading what others have said, Gates sounded like the best, Big Top the worst.
UnclePennybags

Postby ChiefBeef234 on October 15th, 2019, 11:00 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
ChiefBeef234 wrote:They might do 2 houses again though. I'd personally want Infestation and Manslaughter to be replaced next year. Then big top and gates the year after.

Isn't Gates of Hell one of the best Haunted Houses? I'm going this weekend and am trying to plan out which haunts I'm going to visit. Reading what others have said, Gates sounded like the best, Big Top the worst.
Gates will likely be the last house to be replaced but if they keep replacing 2 houses a year gates is likely to go within the next 2 years. Also it's mostly personal preference with favorite house. Gates is based mostly on just sensory overload so if you're into that go for it, personally Infected and 13th order are the best this year.

ChiefBeef234

Postby Eagle04 on October 20th, 2019, 7:46 am
Went yesterday for the first time in a while. They were scanning passes/tickets by 10:30, holding people by the carousel until rope drop.

I never understood why they staffed the turnstiles but held people there while lines backed up behind the metal detectors. Glad to see they went back to rope dropping inside the park. Such a simple thing to improve operations.
Eagle04

Postby ChicagoCoasters on October 21st, 2019, 10:01 pm
I’ve never done the house until this year and all I’ve heard was negative things and I had low expectations but those expectations were way to low. I had heard that there were minimal actors and no theming in the houses but I didn’t think that. The only house that really isn’t themed is Infestation. They should take the surprise at the end of Infestation (if you know, you know) and put it in a Rainforest themed haunt. 13th Order and Infected were themed amazingly and the actors were amazing in filled their roles. I also love the new theming in the scare zones and I hope they continue these trends in the future. Now we just have to wait for fall food options[emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby ChiefBeef234 on October 22nd, 2019, 1:50 am
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I’ve never done the house until this year and all I’ve heard was negative things and I had low expectations but those expectations were way to low. I had heard that there were minimal actors and no theming in the houses but I didn’t think that. The only house that really isn’t themed is Infestation. They should take the surprise at the end of Infestation (if you know, you know) and put it in a Rainforest themed haunt. 13th Order and Infected were themed amazingly and the actors were amazing in filled their roles. I also love the new theming in the scare zones and I hope they continue these trends in the future. Now we just have to wait for fall food options[emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure everyone is still salty that they stopped having JPL do the event, but I do agree with the negativity for some things as the first couple years Fright Fest was in Six Flags control were awful. They've been steadily improving year by year, JPL was great because they just had a stockpile of their own costumes and decorations while Six Flags only just started building their own stuff. I'm glad they are finally putting attention back into houses with 13th Order and Infected, and I hope they continue. I also hope they continue adding quality theming to the streets, I really like what they did with the clowns this year. Hopefully they continue this focus for years to come. I've talked to people who know David, the head of Entertainment, and they said Fright Fest is his favorite time of the year. He wants to see our park become one of the best theme park haunts out there and he's worked entertainment at Disney and Universal before. Peter is also the guy mostly responsible for the new houses, they hired him last year for Hell Fest.

P.S. Sometimes David comes out onto the street to scare as a clown.

ChiefBeef234

Postby bigtopterrorr on October 27th, 2019, 1:08 pm
This year they really went all out for the houses! The two new ones were great! My personal favorite was the 13th Order, but Infected was a close second. I would like to see something new where Infestation is and Manslaughter. Any theme ideas that they could work with?
bigtopterrorr

Postby CoasterDemon on October 27th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Heading to the park tonight for a short bit... is it just me or is the park open until 10 tonight (Sunday) but only 9 last night (Saturday)? Seems like it should have been the other way around.
CoasterDemon

Postby ChiefBeef234 on October 27th, 2019, 2:09 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:Heading to the park tonight for a short bit... is it just me or is the park open until 10 tonight (Sunday) but only 9 last night (Saturday)? Seems like it should have been the other way around.
Rain forced a lot of people out yesterday. They closed early due to low attendance and nothing was open.

ChiefBeef234

Postby CoasterDemon on October 27th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Got as far as the back parking lot… They wouldn’t let anyone go to the front parking lot even though there were lots of empty spaces as usual. Got locked in gridlock in the back ... it took a long time but I finally got out. F*ck six flags. I’m done.

Meanwhile, a tiny park in the middle of Pennsylvania has no problem parking thousands of cars every single day.

It’s time well spent driving 6 hours to Holiday World, CP, KI ... or even a shorter distance to the charming Bay Beach or Santa’s Villiage. Those parks are a guaranteed quality time every single time.

It’s always something with Six Flags, year in year out. They change up their plan a bit with every CEO, but it’s always the same dreadful operations (in every department). Lots of good people work there, but they aren’t given anything… No training.
CoasterDemon

Postby UnclePennybags on October 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:After going to the park this past Saturday I have some suggestions that Six Flags can roll out to make Fright Fest better:

4) Some more reasons to ditch the scare actors in the midways: a) many people don't go there to "be scared" but just want to go on the rides. Losing the scare actors will "force" those that want to "be scared" to go to the haunted houses, thus increasing revenue for Six Flags! b) People with kids (like me) can have their kids stay the whole day at the park and spend more money. Plus they can possibly save on payroll if the number of scare actors is larger than the number of "extra" food service people and ride operators. Again, Six Flags wins!

After going to my second Fright Fest of the year, I came away satisfied. While there is always room for improvement, I don't agree with the idea of eliminating the free scare zones or the scare actors. They're part of what I like about this event.

This visit, I didn't do much other than eat, watch shows, and walk around taking pictures. There's a lot of work that goes into theming a park as big as ours. I give the park high marks for doing this well.

However, when the sun goes down, that's when the place comes alive. There's literally a night and day difference between how the park feels. The scare zones and actors are key to providing this feel.

Like Holiday in the Park, Fright Fest is an event. It gets its flavor from its Halloween theming. Take away its scary nature and you're left with a Fall Festival. I suspect Fright Fest's attendance is specifically driven by a Halloween event that has rides, not by rides that have a Halloween event. For this reason, I'm OK with thrills by day and fright by night. Nice balance. Something for everyone.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on October 30th, 2019, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby Muck Finnesota on October 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm
I went Sunday- first time to the park this season. It was an impromptu visit (we got there around 6), and like CoasterDemon, I was pretty unhappy with the parking situation and crowds. Not entirely unsurprising, though. Last weekend of Fright Fest, fantastic weather... I had a far shittier time with lines at Kings Island two weeks ago. We got a drink at the bar near Raging Bull and Viper, and made a few laps around the park, kind of content that we probably weren't going to be riding much. Ended up with a lap on Batman, and two on Raging Bull (double ride at the very end of the night after the park closed). It was worth it, I thought. I'll be back to finally get my Maxx Force lap sometime in November. We got in line towards the end of the night, but were told it was about an hour wait. No thanks. Two laps on Raging Bull seemed like more than a fair consolation prize.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby got2havefun on October 31st, 2019, 1:45 pm
Park Closed Tonight.
got2havefun

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 6th, 2019, 8:20 am
We went last Saturday and the park wasn't too crowded, probably due to being post 10/31 and high 30's for temp. We had been watching Goliath and how slowly it was moving up the lift hill. We went on it late afternoon and it literally inched its way up the lift hill! I thought for sure it was going to get stuck as it's one coaster very prone to that. I've never seen it move THAT slowly before.

But we did make it over the top! I kept saying how it's now the 3 minute coaster everyone wanted!

We went later in the evening and it was climbing at its normal (slow) speed. It got me thinking if they were "testing" to see what's the coldest temp it can run in.

Whizzer wasn't open early in the day but was open later, presumably after it warmed up a bit. Eagle and Viper were closed.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum