Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Tsunami Surge New for 2021

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Hurricane Harbor was announced in 2004 & built early 2005 before Katrina hit. Hurricanes happen all the time but yes the worst one happened to hit the same year we built the water park & as mentioned, it's an already branded name that's been out for a while even at that time. However I don't understand why you see any confusion on them pulling a hurricane named attraction in the Mardi Gras/NO influenced section of the park. It's not tasteful cause even 14yrs later it's still being discussed. That's how bad we knew it was. There's a hurricane happening in FL right now. No one is not going to hurricane harbor cause of it. It's all about timing & placement.

Anyways. Tsunami Surge...
gottastrata33

Postby Chirojon on August 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
DejaVu2001 wrote:And there's tornadoes every year too. Is Tornado an inappropriate name for any ride? Rename everything, everything is offensive to everyone. :roll:

That's my point. IF Hurricane is offensive as a ride name, it's definitely offensive as a waterpark name! Especially since 2004 was a deadly and brutal year of hurricanes with over 3200 people dying.

I can answer that with ease - from then (2004?) until now, the world/this country has become much more sensitive to PC issues. The sensitivity to PC issues is directly increased (maybe exponentially lol) with each year that passed from 2000-2019. Look at sitcoms alone. You think The Office would fly even now if it was 'new'? They'd have to apologize after each episode.

Note, I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek (not really). It certainly wouldn't surprise me that it would have been easier to give the name Hurricane in a name circa a devastating event back then vs now, there is no doubt in my mind.
Chirojon

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm
I think everyone is missing the main point. At the time that Hurricane Force 5 would have been announced Texas and Louisiana was being ravaged by the rains of Harvey. Why would the anounce a ride named after a hurricane DURING a major storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Coaster Justin on August 30th, 2019, 4:48 pm
2 Things:
- I hope we don't have to walk up stairs for this ride
- Will this take up parking spaces?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2019, 5:01 pm
I'm really not sure why we're reliving things from two years ago. But whatever.

1. Nobody usually has any problems with any natural disaster themed names (Hurricane, Tornado, Tsunami, Fire, Water, Earthquake, etc). Yes, they can sometimes kill people, but it's usually fine as long as it's not too specific or the victim of bad timing.

2. Problem number one that some people had with Hurricane Force 5 was specifically because it was in a New Orleans themed section, and the combination of New Orleans and Hurricanes brings up bad images for a lot of people. Many people wouldn't care, YOU might not care, but that doesn't mean that NOBODY cares.

3. That said, they probably still would have gone with it if it wasn't for reason #2, the timing. But as stated, there was a big Hurricane happening in the New Orleans area at exactly that time.

So probably because of #3, they held off on the name and when they finally did name it, they went with a different name (I'm guessing because once it leaked out that they were planning on Hurricane Force 5 they heard some feedback about #2 and decided it wasn't worth getting anybody upset, but I guess we'll never know).

Can we put this behind us now?
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:2 Things:
- I hope we don't have to walk up stairs for this ride
- Will this take up parking spaces?

If this is like Massiv, which seems likely, the answers seem likely that #1 we will and #2 it won't
anewman35

Postby JackGlass on August 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Hurricane Harbor needed a star attraction. This will definitely fill that void! I can't wait to see the concept art and if Six Flags will finally make a new Hurricane Harbor entrance at the front of the park.
JackGlass

Postby JT2002 on August 30th, 2019, 10:12 pm
JackGlass wrote:Hurricane Harbor needed a star attraction. This will definitely fill that void! I can't wait to see the concept art and if Six Flags will finally make a new Hurricane Harbor entrance at the front of the park.

I thought Tornado was the star. And they are too cheap to move the entrance.
JT2002

Postby coasterfanatic on August 31st, 2019, 12:18 am
JT2002 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:Hurricane Harbor needed a star attraction. This will definitely fill that void! I can't wait to see the concept art and if Six Flags will finally make a new Hurricane Harbor entrance at the front of the park.

I thought Tornado was the star. And they are too cheap to move the entrance.

They aren’t too cheap to move the entrance as they had a member entrance at front. The whole goal of where the entrance is it to get you to walk through the park. Even if you are coming just for the water park, they now have you in the dry park as well, to potentially buy things, eat food, etc etc. (And it use to be free for everyone). It makes perfect business sense and is unlikely to change. They have the entrance for members/pass holders which likely make up the majority of the water park attendance so no real incentive to change it.

Only time they would change it is if they allowed a non member/pass holder to buy a water park ticket without needing a ticket to dry park.

coasterfanatic

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2019, 12:53 am
When we were at the exit of Maxx noticing all the undeveloped land of where this water coaster could go, we were thinking how perfect that pathway between Maxx & STT is for a front of the park HH entrance. My only hopes is that they would move the current one. I'm sure we'd lose the fountain which would actually suck but in so many ways, it just makes more sense to be placed in the front than the trek it is now.
gottastrata33

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2019, 11:28 pm
Being at Holiday World today made me really wish we had Wildebeest & Mammoth! Makes me really hope ours is even half as good. Can't wait to see more develop on Tsunami Surge!
gottastrata33

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 1st, 2019, 11:40 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:When we were at the exit of Maxx noticing all the undeveloped land of where this water coaster could go, we were thinking how perfect that pathway between Maxx & STT is for a front of the park HH entrance. My only hopes is that they would move the current one. I'm sure we'd lose the fountain which would actually suck but in so many ways, it just makes more sense to be placed in the front than the trek it is now.

Maybe that’s the plan. Looking at where he train tracks are going to go now they are way to close to the pathway into HH. THERES NO WAY they let it be that way. People would actually be able to touch the train as it went by. Or they simply raise the fence.

B&MGuy35

Postby gottastrata33 on September 5th, 2019, 10:14 am
Someone draw it all up haha! I mean the tracks were there before with the HH pathway so I dont think it'll be that close.
gottastrata33

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 5th, 2019, 10:47 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Someone draw it all up haha! I mean the tracks were there before with the HH pathway so I dont think it'll be that close.

The tracks will be way closer now with the coaster though. It’s swings out more toward the fence then it did before.

B&MGuy35

Postby IssaCoaster on September 6th, 2019, 2:36 am
I'm happy with this addition. The watercoasters I've been on have all been enjoyable experiences. My favorite being Black Anaconda. The one at Universal's Volcano Bay was pretty nice too though. It's been 9 years since an attraction was added to this side of the park. It was only a matter of time. People need to grow up. Lol. We could have gotten a kiddie splash pad or something ridiculous. We should be grateful for this. It's the world's tallest water coaster for crying out loud. You don't see that everyday. We have been getting spoiled with coasters (even though they are short). We're good. We'll probably get another coaster within the next 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on September 7th, 2019, 2:04 am
IssaCoaster wrote:I'm happy with this addition. The watercoasters I've been on have all been enjoyable experiences. My favorite being Black Anaconda. The one at Universal's Volcano Bay was pretty nice too though. It's been 9 years since an attraction was added to this side of the park. It was only a matter of time. People need to grow up. Lol. We could have gotten a kiddie splash pad or something ridiculous. We should be grateful for this. It's the world's tallest water coaster for crying out loud. You don't see that everyday. We have been getting spoiled with coasters (even though they are short). We're good. We'll probably get another coaster within the next 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Yes to all of this.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on September 7th, 2019, 9:56 am
A water coaster is a great addition. Those things are very popular with the General Public and according to Six Flags conference calls, have a good ROI.

With that tax incentive that the Village of Gurnee is offering. Don't expect to see many down years for Great America.
JackGlass

Postby gottastrata33 on September 7th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Our park is growing & I'm happily here for it.
gottastrata33

Postby gottastrata33 on November 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am
I was really hoping to see something from Whitewater at IAPPA this year for us!
gottastrata33

Postby staticshadows on January 18th, 2020, 11:25 am
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on January 19th, 2020, 11:00 pm
YAY!! Wait - that other one isn't for us is it? It's "magic waters" yeah?
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on January 20th, 2020, 1:04 am
Looks like they didn’t announce much. There will ERT for Tsuanmi Surge. Train opens after TS construction. RockIllusions is no more.

A new summer event called Great American Summer Nights. One week only.

Holiday in the Park returns!

coasterfanatic

Postby RBullFan97 on January 20th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Also no elevator for Tsunami Surge. Have fun walking up 86 feet of stairs everyone.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby gottastrata33 on January 21st, 2020, 2:28 am
Lol yep! So that def confirms (we already knew) this is our first whitewater slide. I'll forever be bitter it's not proslide but it wouldn't have broke the height record & we know we NEEDED that haha

Still looks great though. A much needed addition to the water park. She's really gonna be squeezed in there by Maxx for sure.
gottastrata33

Postby gottastrata33 on January 25th, 2020, 11:17 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:Lol yep! So that def confirms (we already knew) this is our first whitewater slide. I'll forever be bitter it's not proslide but it wouldn't have broke the height record & we know we NEEDED that haha

Still looks great though. A much needed addition to the water park. She's really gonna be squeezed in there by Maxx for sure.

Maybe some of the water runoff and splash will land on people in the Maxx queue, eh?? Perhaps that's why they didn't install more shade and fans ?? :)

Lol hush ;) they spent so much time making a nice station that they literally blocked out of view with a terrible shade structure. I have A feeling Tsumani is gonna look so damn weird there. It's just such a huge structure.
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum