Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Tsunami Surge New for 2021

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby redrobinround on August 28th, 2019, 12:00 am
So the new waterslide tsunami surge... where will it be placed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redrobinround

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 28th, 2019, 12:02 am
Pretty sure this is a no no
Only ones that can post new attraction threads are moderators and only when it’s been officially announced.

B&MGuy35

Postby redrobinround on August 28th, 2019, 12:04 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:Pretty sure this is a no no
Only ones that can post new attraction threads are moderators and only when it’s been officially announced.

Oops im so sorry how do i take this thread down

redrobinround

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I seriously hope this is NOT what we're getting! Will they call it a "coaster" like the super loop?? I'll be so disappointed if we dont' get the giant frisbee/discovery.

HH doesn't really need anything else. It's fine "as is".

Who cares about the "tallest water coaster" ?? And isn't it basically a glorified water slide?

How much will this contraption cost? Maybe they're saving up for the Eagle makeover?

Will this really bring in more/new guests next year?

At least we got great new rides in 2012, 2014 and 2019 :)
Waaaa. The water coaster is a great addition. And yes people do want an upgrade to HH. A lot of Facebook comments have been asking them to add something to the water park. Water coasters are generally cheaper then Giant Discoveries. They are not calling it a coaster. But yes it was already leaked. Giant Discoveries are fun, but we literally have no room for one right now. I'd rather the spot of BB go to a coaster and I'm glad they are doing that for the time being. Water coasters can be very customizable which is why it fits nicely in the spot next to Maxx.

The water park in general is a great selling point for Great America. Too hot for the dry park? Head over to the water park. Water coasters are really fun and I suggest you give this one a try. The two I have ridden (Black Anaconda at Noah's Ark and Master Blaster at the Khalahari) both give me a similar feeling to riding a roller coaster, with the added bonus of getting wet on a hot day!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 28th, 2019, 2:30 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ ChiefBeef - I've ridden Black Anaconda a couple times. It's basically a glorified water slide!

As for operating hours/days, the dry park has a much longer operating season!! That's evidenced by rides running in early/mid April thru end of December. You pretty much need 75 degrees or higher to go into water park. So the water park has much less usefulness given that data.

And if people in dry side want to "cool off" we have some water rides over there!

HH was FINE "as is" in my opinion.

I haven't heard people (even on here) say any of the following:
1. "oh, we need a super tall water "coaster" "
2. "HH is so lacking because we need ____________".
3. "HH is a destination park ....."

Plus I don't think this slide will be a huge "draw" to come to the park (but I could be wrong). I've been in HH exactly 1x in my life. It was OK but the coaster side is really where it's at!! T

As I might have said, I would have much rather we got NOTHING this year and then they would have more $$ for RMC Eagle / B&M Dive / Giant Discovery / Poseidon in Bucky's spot.

Poseidon would fill at least 3 niches: 1) Water ride 2) Coaster (a real coaster) 3) Family ride

I felt the exact same way when we got Joker (and Six Flags got clowned out of $7MM).

On another note, I remember being a minority view that Joker was a waste of space even though many on here were saying "Dude, It's amazing, it's in my top 5 now...". Well, I don't hear anyone uttering that anymore! And that is further reinforced by the always short line at Joker.

Time will tell if this slide "moves the dial" in terms of attendance.

P.S. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
A new water slide is long overdue and your view is very skewed. There are a lot of people that go to Great America only for the water park. Not everyone likes roller coasters, and to keep the people who only enjoy the water park to continue buying passes, it needs some love to. It's going on 9 years now that the water park hasn't received anything, but yet the dry park has seen 4 new coasters since 2011. This Water Coaster at most is 1-2 million which is hardly anything considering it will bring a lot of people to the water park. I haven't gone in a few years but I'll check it out next year. Also I highly doubt RMC eagle is happening 2021. It might be another off year and then something bigger in 2022.

ChiefBeef234

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 28th, 2019, 3:06 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ I realize that not everyone likes roller coasters. That's why dry side has several flat rides! And for those who like coasters, but not extreme ones, we have Dark Knight!

If HH closed tomorrow I seriously doubt attendance would drop by much. If the dry side closed tomorrow, attendance would plummet!! Trust me I've been going to the park since early 80s. We didn't have HH back then or 15-16 coasters but people still came.

I talk to many people in my travels and nobody yet has said "I can't wait to go to HH".

I don't believe my view is skewed, but I'm speaking the unvarnished truth.

P.S. ChiefBeef - I don't have a "beef" with you in particular (pun intended). I just think HH is fine.
Attendance hasn't seemed to change for the dry park because a lot of the crowds are being eaten up by HH. HH is very busy on hot days, generally making up 30% of all people in the park. A lot of people also don't like flats or even small coasters.

ChiefBeef234

Postby JT2002 on August 28th, 2019, 3:17 pm
^^ + Discoveries<4d free spins.
Water coasters are awesome, don't knock this one until you see the actual design. It will be CUSTOM, not another clone flat ride on a big pad of concrete
JT2002

Postby AirTimeDaz on August 28th, 2019, 4:25 pm
i'm cool with us not getting anything but cosmetic park improvements and flesh out theming/kids area for the next couple years to make financial room for a "STEEGLE" that gives alan schilke and fred grubb the budget to do something spectacular!! the people that harp on "nostalgia" has to come to terms with the fact that nostalgia can be personal and self centered. New kids are born every day to make current technology of the new "the great american eagle" nostalgia for them. not saying they will do it at all, just one of my bucket wish list things, but hanks answer to robs question rubbed me the wrong way. I feel like we NEED an airtime machine in this park. we have none! once we get that, i will finally quit my b**ching.

having said that, im happy for the HH fans. I thought they would get something last year but I was panicking because our dry park is low on prime real estate as it is.
AirTimeDaz

Postby FParker185 on August 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm
Generally in the industry when there is a single gate, the Waterpark is the main draw, dry rides are secondary. It's unwise to neglect the water park.

All of the fastest growing parks in the country are due to their waterparks (Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Waldameer, etc), and each one has confirmed that the waterpark is what pays the bills. Even here at SFGAm, I remember reading an article from 1979 saying that the park expected Demon to help them break the 3 million visitor mark in 1980 which never happened, that is until 2005 when Hurricane Harbor opened.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby anewman35 on August 28th, 2019, 7:05 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Pretty sure this is a no no

That's a rule at Theme Park Review. It doesn't mean it's a rule here. And I hope it's not, because that's honestly a super annoying rule. Who cares?

Anyway, anybody complaining about a water park ride just needs to deal. Any ride they put in any year, even the greatest roller coaster, is going to have some portion of park goers who wish it was something else. It might just be your turn this year...
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on August 28th, 2019, 7:40 pm
anewman35 wrote:Anyway, anybody complaining about a water park ride just needs to deal. Any ride they put in any year, even the greatest roller coaster, is going to have some portion of park goers who wish it was something else. It might just be your turn this year...

I agree, complaining about a taller and longer version of Massiv is odd. This is an awesome addition. I am also surprised more people aren’t talking about Hurricane Harbor Rockford and Tidal Wave.
staticshadows

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 28th, 2019, 9:30 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
ChiefBeef234 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ I realize that not everyone likes roller coasters. That's why dry side has several flat rides! And for those who like coasters, but not extreme ones, we have Dark Knight!

If HH closed tomorrow I seriously doubt attendance would drop by much. If the dry side closed tomorrow, attendance would plummet!! Trust me I've been going to the park since early 80s. We didn't have HH back then or 15-16 coasters but people still came.

I talk to many people in my travels and nobody yet has said "I can't wait to go to HH".

P.S. ChiefBeef - I don't have a "beef" with you in particular (pun intended). I just think HH is fine.
Attendance hasn't seemed to change for the dry park because a lot of the crowds are being eaten up by HH. HH is very busy on hot days, generally making up 30% of all people in the park. A lot of people also don't like flats or even small coasters.

Again, I would like to see some actual data on this. Perhaps Sven , anewman or someone else can present the data for us all? HH has very limited operating days and requires almost perfect weather to go into. Meanwhile the dry park can operate 9-10 months of the year. It's the cash cow in my opinion and should get the majority of new rides and funding.

Personally if HH closed tomorrow I would actually be thrilled because we would have more space to build flats, kids rides and coasters! HH is almost redundant now that Magic Waters is part of the chain.

I've been to water parks before in OK, 2 different Great Wolf Lodge's , Noah's Ark, and the water ride area of Ober Gatlinburg. Those were very good but they were NOT connected to a world class theme park with 16 coasters and numerous flats! I also went to Dollywood's water park for a couple hours and the whole family wanted to go back (for our 3rd trip!) to the dry park!!

P.S. You said "not everyone likes coasters or flat rides". I would surmise that more people like flat rides and coasters than water rides! Because many people don't want to put on a swimsuit or bikini, get sunburnt, don't want to be in "recycled" water, etc. I seriously don't know anyone that says "I can't wait to go to HH"....
You're in the minority man, a lot of people really enjoy water rides over thrill rides. HH makes a lot from tube rentals, lockers, retail for swim clothes, cabana's, etc. The dry park is what makes the most money, but the water park boosts the amount of things you can do and thus can incentivice more pass sales or ticket sales. Magic Waters is an hour and a half away and is an entirely seperate park more aimed towards the locals. They water park is also great for small children that can't go on coasters, they can sit all day in a pool and relax rather then sitting in the hot sun riding dry rides all day on hot concrete.

Trust me I know we all would like to see HH turned into theme park land but it's not realistic. HH was a great expansion for Great America and has been boosting ticket and pass sales since it's opening. The GP can only take so many new thrill rides before they get bored.

ChiefBeef234

Postby anewman35 on August 28th, 2019, 9:31 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
ChiefBeef234 wrote:

Again, I would like to see some actual data on this. Perhaps Sven , anewman or someone else can present the data for us all? HH has very limited operating days and requires almost perfect weather to go into. Meanwhile the dry park can operate 9-10 months of the year. It's the cash cow in my opinion and should get the majority of new rides and funding.

Personally if HH closed tomorrow I would actually be thrilled because we would have more space to build flats, kids rides and coasters! HH is almost redundant now that Magic Waters is part of the chain.

I've been to water parks before in OK, 2 different Great Wolf Lodge's , Noah's Ark, and the water ride area of Ober Gatlinburg. Those were very good but they were NOT connected to a world class theme park with 16 coasters and numerous flats! I also went to Dollywood's water park for a couple hours and the whole family wanted to go back (for our 3rd trip!) to the dry park!!

P.S. You said "not everyone likes coasters or flat rides". I would surmise that more people like flat rides and coasters than water rides! Because many people don't want to put on a swimsuit or bikini, get sunburnt, don't want to be in "recycled" water, etc. I seriously don't know anyone that says "I can't wait to go to HH"....

I'm really not sure why I'm bothering, I can tell from how you write that you're not going to listen to any reason. But, hey, I'm bored.

Saying 'HH is almost redundant now that Magic Waters is part of the chain' is an utterly ridiculous statement. Gurnee almost 2 hours away from Rockford. There are very people for who one park could easily replace the other.

People like water parks. I'm not going to try to tell you if people like water parks more or less than the dry park, because that depends on the person. The best parks aren't just thrill rides, or just flats, or just kiddie rides, or just water rides, they're some of everything. Having HH makes our park a more well rounded park than it would be otherwise. There probably aren't a lot of people who say that the Hometown Fun Machine is their favorite ride and they go to the park just for the Hometown Fun Machine and they wouldn't go to the park anymore if the Hometown Fun Machine wasn't there. But a well rounded park needs rides like that, because not everything can be a gigantic thrill ride. The water park is like that too - maybe people don't talk about it much and just take it for granted, but they would complain it if it wasn't there.

If water parks weren't both popular with the public and money makers, then park chains wouldn't build them. But all the major park chains have multiple waterparks. So I put more stock in that than some stories about your family or whatever.

I respect your opinion. I think it is very wrong, but you're welcome to have it. Now can you take it to a different thread? We're getting the water coaster next year. It's happening. Are you going to spend the next year constantly complaining about the water park existing, because that I won't respect...
anewman35

Postby UnclePennybags on August 28th, 2019, 9:44 pm
Last night, after B&MGuy35's post about Tsunami Surge (TS), Absimilliard concluded this new ride is being manufactured by WhiteWater West (the announcement makes reference to "Aqualucent" effects, which is a trademark of WhiteWater). I spent the afternoon digging around to get more info about WhiteWater water coasters and found much of interest.

It doesn't look like TS will be a water coaster as advertised by WhiteWater. Instead, it looks like it'll be a Master Blaster (MB) waterslide. Unlike plain slides which tend to just snake around during a drop in elevation, a MB also uses water jets to power riders up short hills before dropping them again. Here's a link to WhiteWater's site:

https://www.whitewaterwest.com/products/master-blaster

With respect to the footprint I'd expect to see from a MB, I haven't seen one of these rides that was not custom. I haven't seen two of these rides that were even similar. You can do some really interesting layouts with these rides. Compact or sprawling, water parks can do a lot with them.

The MB I thought would be of most interest to us was MASSIV Monster Blaster at Schlitterbahn Galveston. I believe it is the current record holder for tallest water coaster at 82 feet (the slide is 926 feet long). TS will be 86 feet high and 950 feet long. Here's a couple of links to the ride page and a POV YouTube video:

https://www.schlitterbahn.com/galveston ... er-blaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDX_hlXN4kY

The announcement mentioned that TS will be located in Riptide Bay. This could mean an expansion into the parking lot next to Riptide Bay, or more likely an incorporation of the undeveloped land next to Maxx Force. Going back to March/April of this year, some (gottastrata33, Goku1910, staticshadows, etc.) were already predicting that this could happen. If so, the undeveloped land currently looks something like this:

If you overlay MASSIV Monster Blaster with the undeveloped land, you can see that the fit isn't too far off:

Because TS will likely be a custom ride, a modified layout should be able to make use of most of the free land in the area west of Maxx Force, north of the train tracks, and east of Viper. I think it'll be a tight fit and the additional traffic around Monsoon Lagoon will bum me out a little. Still, Christmas is here again and I'm not disappointed with Tsunami Surge. Hope it works out well.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on August 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby ChiefBeef234 on August 28th, 2019, 9:51 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ anewman - thanks for your response. I appreciate the time you took to write it. Just please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

ChiefBeef - as you said not everyone loves coasters and flats, well not everyone loves HH :)

Because there are a few diehard HH fans on this site doens't mean "majority of people" love HH or couldn't live without it! Again, not having a waterpark for 30 years didn't stop people from going to Great America!!

I live midway between HH and Magic Waters. I'm guessing many on here could make the trek to Rockford for Magic Waters. It will take some real data to convince me that HH "pays the bills" and is "keeping the lights on".

Again, I understand (sort of) everyone's excitement for this new water SLIDE . But not everyone is excited. There are several on another forum that feel like I do. I also reiterate how many people felt about Joker when it opened ("it's in my top 5...", "it's amazing...", etc). Well why don't I hear anyone talking about that ride anymore?? I submit that this water slide will kind of go the same way with its popularity.

BUT Here's the silver lining I just realized:

So maybe this thing is a blessing in disguise: since HH is "SO crowded" according to many here, this contraption will draw droves of people over there !! And my coasters will be walkons!
You're missing the point. HH is crowded because it's filled with people who prefer water rides over coasters, that's why the attendance has been boosted. And no we aren't die hard fans, but we aren't salty because the new ride isn't something that will benefit the thrill ride audience. Also I still enjoy Joker, it's very unique and it still is one of my top 5's on a good day. Most people do. The management at Great America is very talented and smart, they know what they are doing. They've convinced corporate Six Flags to give them 5 new coasters within the past 10 years. If this water coaster won't turn a profit, it wouldn't have been the new ride. And no not everyone lives in between magic Waters and GAm. I live in Wisconsin, Great America is a 40 minute drive while Magic Waters is a 2 hour and 30 minute drive. I'd much rather just go to hurricane harbor.

ChiefBeef234

Postby anewman35 on August 28th, 2019, 10:06 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ anewman - thanks for your response. I appreciate the time you took to write it. Just please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

ChiefBeef - as you said not everyone loves coasters and flats, well not everyone loves HH :)

Because there are a few diehard HH fans on this site doens't mean "majority of people" love HH or couldn't live without it! Again, not having a waterpark for 30 years didn't stop people from going to Great America!!

I live midway between HH and Magic Waters. I'm guessing many on here could make the trek to Rockford for Magic Waters. It will take some real data to convince me that HH "pays the bills" and is "keeping the lights on".

Again, I understand (sort of) everyone's excitement for this new water SLIDE . But not everyone is excited. There are several on another forum that feel like I do. I also reiterate how many people felt about Joker when it opened ("it's in my top 5...", "it's amazing...", etc). Well why don't I hear anyone talking about that ride anymore?? I submit that this water slide will kind of go the same way with its popularity.

BUT Here's the silver lining I just realized:

So maybe this thing is a blessing in disguise: since HH is "SO crowded" according to many here, this contraption will draw droves of people over there !! And my coasters will be walkons!

The way Six Flags handles our park lately, every few years we get a MAJOR rider (i.e. Goliath, Maxx Force), some years we get something really small/temporary (igNight, Hometown Park), but MOST years we get something inbetween (Joker, Mardi Gras Hangover, Justice League, and I suspect Tsunami Surge) - Nothing that's going to really drive attendance spikes or anything, but something that will be around for a while and have decent crowds and be something to do, because you can't spend all day just in line for the few top coasters. And, yes, Six Flags will market any of those things as the most amazing thing ever, because that's what they do.

As for Joker specifically - you ask why you don't hear people talking about it, and I guess my answer is, why would you? Do we often have threads about 'what coaster that's been around a while do you still like?' You either like it or you don't, you go on it or you don't. It's a solid mid-tier coaster that's different than any other coasters and a perfectly fine ride.

I get that you (and lots of people) would rather Six Flags skip a lot of these mid-level rides and save up for big things, but there's no indication they're going to do that any time soon. From a business perspective I think it makes sense - you want something new to promote every year, and I don't think the GP in Chicago/Milwaukee (the true audience of the park) really distinguishes enough to think Goliath or Maxx Force aren't worth coming to the park for because they're short.

Getting a bit more back on topic, no, I doubt HH "pays the bills" and is "keeping the lights on". I'm sure the park would do fine without it. But I also am willing to bet that they sell more season passes long-term because of HH (we get to go to a Theme Park AND a water park? What a deal!) than they would if they bulldozed it all and replaced it with a giant new Custom B&M and a RMC raptor or something.

And, maybe HH and Magic Waters are equally accessible to you, but to most people that's not the case. And if you're in Chicago or Milwaukee and the choice is an hour to a place with a dry park AND a water park or an hour and a half to just a water park, seems like a pretty clear decision. If you suddenly said HH was closing and the only choices were a hour to the dry park or an hour and a half to a water park, you'd have some unhappy people (and probably sell less passes, which, again, is the one thing they're worried about).

And, lastly, I don't think anybody is saying that this new Water Coaster is the most amazing thing ever. It is what it is. But if we're getting one anyway, can't you at least be a little excited that it;s a World Record one? Like you said, even if you hate it maybe it takes some people from the main park when its open...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 28th, 2019, 10:11 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Not to belabor the point, but I still find it ironic that a great majority had an issue with a name of "Hurricane Force 5" (or whatever it was) but LOVE the name of Tsunami Surge! A Tsunami can do just as much damage and take lives as hurricane.......

I don't know if you're playing dumb or not, but the specific issue people had with Hurricane Force 5 was placing a Hurricane themed ride in a New Orleans themed area. I'm not aware that many people (if any) had any particular issue with natural disaster themed rides or areas in general. A generic Tsunami ride in a Hurricane themed area (that's not based on a particular city that had a recent disaster of the same type that killed many people) seems ok to me.
anewman35

Postby SycoCoasterDad on August 28th, 2019, 10:26 pm
I can tell you that having spent two days at SFStL on a Friday and Saturday in July, and a midweek August day at SFA, in both cases the water park was WAY more crowded than the dry park. Granted there is just one gate admission that provides entry into both parts of the park at those locations (less cost prohibitive/more general.access), but the wave pool and lazy river at each was just about “bumper-to-bumper” and 45 min minimum wait for any slide, while coasters were almost all walk up to the station.
Without a doubt there’s a market for water parks and a demand to be met by adding, upgrading, and refreshing the water parks on a regular basis.

SycoCoasterDad

Postby jmanporty7 on August 28th, 2019, 10:29 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote: HH is almost redundant now that Magic Waters is part of the chain.

Im not looking to start something here... But I'm pretty sure the intention for Six Flags wasn't to buy MW as a replacement for HH, but rather just an extra revenue booster for the company as a whole.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby SycoCoasterDad on August 28th, 2019, 10:34 pm
I’d be willing to bet that the primary reason for taking over operations of MW was to increase the brand recognition in north central and north west IL and south central and south west WI. Essentially widening the geographic footprint beyond Chicago-Milwaukee Metro...get people to MW, get them to buy a pass or membership, and draw them to then visit Gurnee.
It was great for us. I am a very easy 1 hr 15 min drive to Gurnee, but if we just want a laid back water park day, it’s just 30 min to MW.

SycoCoasterDad

Postby JT2002 on August 28th, 2019, 11:09 pm
SycoCoasterDad wrote:I’d be willing to bet that the primary reason for taking over operations of MW was to increase the brand recognition in north central and north west IL and south central and south west WI. Essentially widening the geographic footprint beyond Chicago-Milwaukee Metro...get people to MW, get them to buy a pass or membership, and draw them to then visit Gurnee.

Imagine Six Flags buying up a big plot of land (or even bought out Mt. Olympus) in Wisconsin Dells. That would be A. a crazy, disney level thing to do, and B. definitely spreading their brand in the northern midwest.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 28th, 2019, 11:41 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ No, I wasn't playing dumb about the name of Hurricane Force 5. I really didn't see a problem. As I mentioned there were at least 3 coasters in Japan with the name "Atomic" in them. If that's not politically incorrect, I really don't know what is!! But they were built in Japan.......

The reason the name was changed is because at the time of the 2018 announcement the news was non stop coverage of Hurricane Harvey as it was still occurring. The devastation from it was catastrophic. Why would the park then announce a ride named after a Hurricane in the midst of a natural disaster. OF COURSE THEY’RE GONNA CHANGE IT!
B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on August 29th, 2019, 1:30 am
The point about water parks generating more money could make sense. Could be why Six Flags is swooping up a lot of water parks lately

coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 29th, 2019, 4:29 am
I wish they would've made a rendering showing where it's being placed. Kinda disappointed we didn't get any other visuals except for Thunder Rapids footage.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby gottastrata33 on August 29th, 2019, 5:21 am
I expected more as well. Was hoping we'd see what it would truly look like. But we will know in 9months haha nah they're prob post some next month but don't expect too much.
gottastrata33

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum