Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Way too early 2020 predictions!

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm
staticshadows wrote:From the Great Adventure August Events Announcements

“2020 New Attraction Announcement – August 29
Stay tuned as Six Flags Great Adventure announces its highly-anticipated new attraction for 2020. After months of rumor and speculation, the legendary and monstrous details will be revealed at 5 a.m. via its website and social media. The world record-breaking project is slated to open next summer.”

Guys they’re gonna RMC El Toro. OMG!!! In all honesty Great Adventure has been getting some pretty bad additions considering how big the park is. Us magic mountain and fiesta Texas are getting all the good things while great Adventure has been getting laid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby gottastrata33 on July 30th, 2019, 2:45 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:
staticshadows wrote:From the Great Adventure August Events Announcements

“2020 New Attraction Announcement – August 29
Stay tuned as Six Flags Great Adventure announces its highly-anticipated new attraction for 2020. After months of rumor and speculation, the legendary and monstrous details will be revealed at 5 a.m. via its website and social media. The world record-breaking project is slated to open next summer.”

Guys they’re gonna RMC El Toro. OMG!!! In all honesty Great Adventure has been getting some pretty bad additions considering how big the park is. Us magic mountain and fiesta Texas are getting all the good things while great Adventure has been getting laid off.

THIS is not true, whatsoever. If you know SFGAdv, you'd understand how much they needed the flats they've been adding. Great adventure is for some reason, notorious for getting rid of flats just years after getting them. They took out rolling thunder (racing coaster like AE) to out in a super loop which only lasted a couple years & is gone already. Hell even we have a flat from them. They've been doing it forever so they're finally seeing it's not all coasters. Yeah they're known as a coaster capital but they desperately needed the additions they've been adding. With that said, yes, it's def time they get a new BIG coaster. They didn't need Joker but the same could be said for us. They have the land however to do a bigger model. So. Much. Land.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on July 30th, 2019, 2:49 pm
Agreed. Great Adventure has built up an amazing flat ride collection over the last decade. I think they should focus more on Coasters and the water park for this coming decade, as well as improving the kids areas like the Sea port.
JackGlass

Postby IssaCoaster on July 30th, 2019, 11:01 pm
Why would they ever RMC El Toro though? It's already a good ride and doesn't seem to be having any issues that I'm aware of? That seems like a bad idea[emoji23]. It also would cost a crap ton of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on July 30th, 2019, 11:02 pm
When we did those surveys, if not mistaken, didn’t we watch griffon videos for SFGAdv? Perhaps that’s the record breaker. A B&M dive machine?
gottastrata33

Postby IssaCoaster on July 30th, 2019, 11:08 pm
Those new B&M dive coasters are insane in cost though. Yukon Striker cost 25 million. And that's even more than Leviathin. Maybe they will go with a different manufacturer?

IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on July 31st, 2019, 2:16 am
IssaCoaster wrote:Those new B&M dive coasters are insane in cost though. Yukon Striker cost 25 million. And that's even more than Leviathin. Maybe they will go with a different manufacturer?

Im hoping not. I think SFGAm, MM & GAdv could benefit from another high capacity beemer. Plus dove coasters while not the greatest, are crowd pleasers. & they are fun. Sometimes even awesome. Sooo

gottastrata33

Postby Chirojon on July 31st, 2019, 9:58 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I just got back from our trip to Cedar Point and will be posting my review and comparison of it to our park.

For now, I really really would like for us to get a ride identical to Skyhawk! (non-spinning pendulum ride)

That thing was amazing! I liked it better than Maxair (spinning pendulum ride).

They can take out Revolution!

I'd be down with this, it looks very fun! I do like Revolution, however. I'd rather they put it in place of a ride like DDD, though this would be too similar in proximity to Revolution I suppose (or DDD for that matter) though looks much much more thrilling.

Although after that pendulum crash in India (I think that is where it was?), pendulum rides worry me. I wonder what the issue was with that ride, as an aside and how that is prevented and wouldn't happen here (though the one in Ohio was a pendulum type of ride also). Sorry for the tangent.
Chirojon

Postby IssaCoaster on July 31st, 2019, 10:32 am
Chirojon wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I just got back from our trip to Cedar Point and will be posting my review and comparison of it to our park.

For now, I really really would like for us to get a ride identical to Skyhawk! (non-spinning pendulum ride)

I'd be down with this, it looks very fun! I do like Revolution, however. I'd rather they put it in place of a ride like DDD, though this would be too similar in proximity to Revolution I suppose (or DDD for that matter) though looks much much more thrilling.

Although after that pendulum crash in India (I think that is where it was?), pendulum rides worry me. I wonder what the issue was with that ride, as an aside and how that is prevented and wouldn't happen here (though the one in Ohio was a pendulum type of ride also). Sorry for the tangent.
That problem on the India ride was the fault of the park. It was not the ride manufacturer's fault. Something like that happening in the states would be extremely unlikely. Give how many times rides are inspected.

IssaCoaster

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 31st, 2019, 11:28 am
IssaCoaster wrote:Why would they ever RMC El Toro though? It's already a good ride and doesn't seem to be having any issues that I'm aware of? That seems like a bad idea[emoji23]. It also would cost a crap ton of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It was a joke lol[emoji23].

1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby ilrider on July 31st, 2019, 11:45 am
IssaCoaster wrote:
Chirojon wrote:

That problem on the India ride was the fault of the park. It was not the ride manufacturer's fault. Something like that happening in the states would be extremely unlikely. Give how many times rides are inspected.

How was that not the ride manufacturer’s fault? The arm snapped! In a lot of these countries, they buy locally made, and poorly made, knock off rides. I do agree we would not see a catastrophic failure of a pendulum ride like that in this country.
ilrider

Postby Sven18 on July 31st, 2019, 11:49 am
ChicagoCoasters wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:Why would they ever RMC El Toro though? It's already a good ride and doesn't seem to be having any issues that I'm aware of? That seems like a bad idea[emoji23]. It also would cost a crap ton of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The most likely RMC product for GAdv would be a ground up I-Box like Zadra, which was not expensive at all. The public info on the contract was 10M Euros(11.5 USD) for a coaster of 200ft tall , 4265ft length, 71mph, 3 inversions. GAdv is the only big park in the chain w/o a RMC I-Box, I think this is the eventually ticket.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on July 31st, 2019, 12:15 pm
Completely agree Sven18. That fits the "Tall, Fast and Steel" description perfectly.
JackGlass

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 31st, 2019, 12:20 pm
Sven18 wrote:
ChicagoCoasters wrote:

The most likely RMC product for GAdv would be a ground up I-Box like Zadra, which was not expensive at all. The public info on the contract was 10M Euros(11.5 USD) for a coaster of 200ft tall , 4265ft length, 71mph, 3 inversions. GAdv is the only big park in the chain w/o a RMC I-Box, I think this is the eventually ticket.

I’ve been thinking that great adventure would get this for awhile. I think since Zadra was announced and we found out it was ibox not topper track and it was a ground up coaster did I think it would work perfectly at sfgad.

ChicagoCoasters

Postby IssaCoaster on July 31st, 2019, 12:48 pm
Sven18 wrote:
ChicagoCoasters wrote:

I agree with this one a lot more than the B&M dive. I still can't believe Zadra costs so little. It's such a huge ride.

IssaCoaster

Postby UnclePennybags on July 31st, 2019, 2:14 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:...BB is one of our best themed attractions. It’s a family attraction & very interactive. I dont get the hate & I’m actually sick of reading you complain about it.

In my case, it's not so much that I hate Buccaneer Battle (BB). The land it sits on is large enough to hold other rides that would probably be more popular. Land is a premium for SFGAm, so any perception that a plot of land is being underused will earn the ire of many devoted park goers.

Now, I'm not one that only sees the value of roller coasters. Family rides are great. But in this, BB disappoints. The theming is nice, but the ride experience is so much less than I would have liked to see:

1) The water guns should be self-powered. BB is a ride that kids could really enjoy, but the hand cranks on the guns are too much work for little hands to operate. If the kids could just focus on shooting at stuff, and finding out what happens when they score a hit, the ride would be better.

2) With respect to "shooting at stuff", I recall that when Great America opened in 1976, there was a place called, "Northwest Shooting Gallery". You had a rifle that shot focused flashes of light at small targets next to various animatronics. If you hit a target, the associated animatronic would do something (the guy at the piano would start playing, the cuckoo would come out of the clock, etc.) There were a bunch of targets to shoot at. If BB had a slew of targets to shoot at that caused a slew of different things to happen, it'd be worth riding more often. With self-powered guns, I'd love to see boat wars, where it'd be possible to deliver a broadside against one of the boats crossing in the opposite direction. BB has so much potential, but it doesn't currently deliver.

3) I consider BB to be a water ride. However, I've been on BB when the temp was in the 90's and came away hotter after the ride than when the ride started. Sometimes you just don't get wet. You just bake in the sun for several minutes while getting a cramp in your arm from trying to generate a stream of water to hit targets that may not be working that day. Disappointing.

If they could upgrade this ride to address the issues I've stated above, I might change my mind. Until that happens, I'm OK with some other ride making better use of this space.

Not trying to restart a Buccaneer Battle war, but BB ran better today than I’ve ever seen. They improved how far you can shoot the water cannons. I was getting nailed from all angles: people in other boats; people firing from the shore guns; all normal water effects were operational. I’ve never gotten soaked on BB before. If they could get more animatronic targets, I’d be even happier.

UnclePennybags

Postby IssaCoaster on July 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:...BB is one of our best themed attractions. It’s a family attraction & very interactive. I dont get the hate & I’m actually sick of reading you complain about it.

In my case, it's not so much that I hate Buccaneer Battle (BB). The land it sits on is large enough to hold other rides that would probably be more popular. Land is a premium for SFGAm, so any perception that a plot of land is being underused will earn the ire of many devoted park goers.

Now, I'm not one that only sees the value of roller coasters. Family rides are great. But in this, BB disappoints. The theming is nice, but the ride experience is so much less than I would have liked to see:

1) The water guns should be self-powered. BB is a ride that kids could really enjoy, but the hand cranks on the guns are too much work for little hands to operate. If the kids could just focus on shooting at stuff, and finding out what happens when they score a hit, the ride would be better.

2) With respect to "shooting at stuff", I recall that when Great America opened in 1976, there was a place called, "Northwest Shooting Gallery". You had a rifle that shot focused flashes of light at small targets next to various animatronics. If you hit a target, the associated animatronic would do something (the guy at the piano would start playing, the cuckoo would come out of the clock, etc.) There were a bunch of targets to shoot at. If BB had a slew of targets to shoot at that caused a slew of different things to happen, it'd be worth riding more often. With self-powered guns, I'd love to see boat wars, where it'd be possible to deliver a broadside against one of the boats crossing in the opposite direction. BB has so much potential, but it doesn't currently deliver.

3) I consider BB to be a water ride. However, I've been on BB when the temp was in the 90's and came away hotter after the ride than when the ride started. Sometimes you just don't get wet. You just bake in the sun for several minutes while getting a cramp in your arm from trying to generate a stream of water to hit targets that may not be working that day. Disappointing.

If they could upgrade this ride to address the issues I've stated above, I might change my mind. Until that happens, I'm OK with some other ride making better use of this space.

Not trying to restart a Buccaneer Battle war, but BB ran better today than I’ve ever seen. They improved how far you can shoot the water cannons. I was getting nailed from all angles: people in other boats; people firing from the shore guns; all normal water effects were operational. I’ve never gotten soaked on BB before. If they could get more animatronic targets, I’d be even happier.

I've always been soaked on BBattle though. And the guns are supposed to be able to get people on the "shore". This is not anything new to me tbh.

IssaCoaster

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 31st, 2019, 8:48 pm
The flat ride I was on yesterday, I had to wait 2 or 3 cycles to get on (It was either 2 or 3 each time). Demon had no line across the way. lol lol The little girl in line for the flat ride was saying "that ride bouncy's my head" talking about the Demon. The opposite of the Demon was that Whizzer's line was jammed packed. Both of these rides should get some of the same demographic. They should get rid of it (Demon) already. That's the only reason I'm posting in this topic, but the rest I might as well mention.

Also, River Rocker was shut down the whole day. It's make no sense how in the world that ride could be closed yesterday, but it's open today??? I assumed the motor is broke or something. I'm confused about that??? Is business so bad this year, that they are short staffing rides now? Is some ride shut down everyday, and it was River Rocker's turn? I do see "5 MILLION" visit Lake County commercials. I didn't see any mechanics doing anything. I don't care about the River Rocker except that it's theme isn't bad. It could be closed for the whole year, and I wouldn't care; but it's weird that it was shut down, as in something is really wrong with it / aka motor / aka lapbars need replacing.

And Revolution is still messed up when it's supposed to spin really fast, it's like going 1/2 speed. Is the motor dying, or is it re-programmed to stink?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby UnclePennybags on July 31st, 2019, 10:01 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:And Revolution is still messed up when it's supposed to spin really fast, it's like going 1/2 speed. Is the motor dying, or is it re-programmed to stink?

Really? I've only ridden Revolution twice, today being the second. I thought it was spinning pretty good. I rode it right after lunch and was feeling a little queasy after exiting.
UnclePennybags

Postby BCarroll on July 31st, 2019, 10:03 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:Also, River Rocker was shut down the whole day. It's make no sense how in the world that ride could be closed yesterday, but it's open today???

River Rocker was closed because park services was cleaning out "the pit" of the ride, extensively. The ride must be locked out for this to happen. Because of this, maintenance used this time to work on the drive tire system and grease the bearings on the lap bar mechanism. Thus, Rocker just remained closed for the day.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby JT2002 on August 1st, 2019, 9:38 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:Also, River Rocker was shut down the whole day. It's make no sense how in the world that ride could be closed yesterday, but it's open today??? I assumed the motor is broke or something. I'm confused about that??? Is business so bad this year, that they are short staffing rides now? Is some ride shut down everyday, and it was River Rocker's turn? I do see "5 MILLION" visit Lake County commercials. I didn't see any mechanics doing anything. I don't care about the River Rocker except that it's theme isn't bad. It could be closed for the whole year, and I wouldn't care; but it's weird that it was shut down, as in something is really wrong with it / aka motor / aka lapbars need
and
A. Chill out
B. Staffing is actually really good this season as far as operations go.
C. Rule of thumb: The main reason a lot of rides have gotten worse at this park is because maintenance is super * lazy and half-asses things all the time because the park won't give them proper resources (or they just don't have the time) to really fix things until after the season or on days when the park is closed.
JT2002

Postby gottastrata33 on August 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm
I am Wondering if we will see teasers start today or soon.
gottastrata33

Postby JackGlass on August 1st, 2019, 6:30 pm
First teaser is up on their facebook page!
JackGlass

Postby ledgeland on August 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm
Three numbers in the “news” crawl - 86, 23, and 3.
ledgeland

Postby gottastrata33 on August 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm
I KNEW it would happen today.
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum