Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby coasterfanatic on July 15th, 2019, 10:44 am
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Thia is where I part ways in opinion with many of you.
Length of a coaster means nothing to me.
I would rather have an short, intense coaster rather than a long, boring, meandering one; I would take Maxx Force and Goliath over Relaxing Bull any day of the week.
Besides, if Maxx Force was any longer, the elements would get slower and slower, detracting from the intensity of the ride.
This is a nuance that escapes most coaster enthusiasts.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

He’s right! Steel Vengeance for example is way to long. It’s a good ride but it’s so fast and so long that it can benefit from being shorter.

Raptor is same way. Batman is much more intense than Raptor because Raptor meanders a lot. Gatekeeper meanders after the break run (which is basically there just so CP can get the third train). Full Throttle is super short and is great! Amazing ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 15th, 2019, 11:30 am
JaminOut wrote:On V2 they say one-fifteen, as in 115 seconds. They need to wait until 120 seconds (two minutes) to launch. One-fifteen is V2’s version of “take five”.

Ben - Thanks for correcting me!!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 15th, 2019, 11:44 am
We rode Sky Trek on 7/12 around 12:00 or 12:30 and we BARELY had the required 20 people to go up (I think we had 22). I like the ride but I agree that it's ridership seems way down. This year whenever I've walked by Sky Trek there is almost no line.

As for Maxx, they could put a sign up (if there isn't one already) right before you enter the station to tell guests to put on the seatbelt AND lower the lapbar. I, for one, am so conditioned not to touch my lapbar on Goliath that I thought the same thing applied on Maxx! I do like the seatbelts on Maxx way better than Goliath as they are much easier to operate.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 15th, 2019, 11:53 am
Airboss wrote:I've ridden Maxx twice today. Great ride. Both trains running, dispatches averaging 2:25 for an average capacity of 395pph. Waited 30 mins for my first ride (although I got to it 20 mins before Opening), and waited about 55 mins for my second ride. Dispatches are decently quick but they could be improved so much if the train would enter the train sooner.

Your "multimove" suggestion, perhaps!! To me it seems to be a "Catch 22": Lead train can't enter launch pad until trailing train enters station. And trailing train can't enter station until lead train enters launch pad!

Check out the capacity for this former classic at our park which had ONE train! I don't know if it ever reached that number but it's quite interesting.

https://rcdb.com/38.htm

As for a huge capacity ride, that's exactly what Steel Eagle will be in 2021 or 2026 when it's reborn!!! So Maxx Force will just "tide us over" until that happens !

CoasterRiderSC

Postby ilrider on July 15th, 2019, 2:16 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:Thia is where I part ways in opinion with many of you.
Length of a coaster means nothing to me.
I would rather have an short, intense coaster rather than a long, boring, meandering one; I would take Maxx Force and Goliath over Relaxing Bull any day of the week.
Besides, if Maxx Force was any longer, the elements would get slower and slower, detracting from the intensity of the ride.
This is a nuance that escapes most coaster enthusiasts.

I agree to some extent, as Batman is less than 1:30 and is intense start to finish and one of my favorite rides. Another poster mentioned SV being too long, and while I haven’t ridden it, the POV is enough to show me that with the intensity of Goliath, SV would probably wear me out by the end. MF and Goliath just seem to have enough energy at the end to go further without getting to the point of meandering. Goliath in particular is still hauling ass over that last hill when it hits the brakes. I actually like the twisty ending of Raging Bull and think its the most exciting part after the first drop.
ilrider

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 15th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.
All things being equal I would rather have a long, intense ride as my first choice.
But the way things have shaken out in our park, the most intense coasters at SFGAm,from start to finish, are on the shorter side, namely Goliath and Maxx Force.
And to that end I prefer them over anything else we have.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby ilrider on July 15th, 2019, 2:42 pm
^Gotcha! Don’t know if you ever got to ride Shockwave, but if not, you would have loved it if long and intense is your preference. I grayed out on it after the first three loops almost every time I rode it!
ilrider

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 15th, 2019, 2:48 pm
I LOVED Shockwave!!!!
It was such an intimidating presence at the front of the park!
And the deep roar it had was incredible!!
I really, really miss that ride, but Goliath and Maxx Force have made its loss easier to bear.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby coasterlove on July 15th, 2019, 10:21 pm
I rode Maxx Force this last weekend and really enjoyed it for what it is but still wouldn't have minded a couple more elements and I certainly don't think it would have been boring or dragging. It would still be 6omph or so for another element or two and wouldn't affect capacity since it still takes so long for guests to even board properly anyway. I haven't been on Steel Vengeance but almost everyone who has been on it including many enthusiasts who have been on hundreds of coasters consider it to be one of the best coasters ever made. Personally with few exceptions, I almost always prefer a longer coaster. I'd take Raptor over Batman, New Texas Giant over Goliath and I haven't been on Gatekeeper enough to fairly compare it to X-Flight which I do really enjoy.

Going back to Maxx Force, I know a few people say they prefer the launch on many other coasters over Maxx Force. The only launch that I have been on that I prefer over Maxx Force is Top Thrill Dragster, I've been on four impulse coasters including obviously V2 and also Wicked Twister, I've been on Mr. Freeze both forwards and backwards, Flight of Fear, Storm Runner and Greezed Lighting at the former SFKK which was Tidal Wave here at SFGAm years back. I might be missing one or two but only TTD is better and it's because of the overall speed and the duration of the launch that just keeps building as if Jeff Goldblum keeps saying "Must go faster" and the ride obliges you. Maxx Force has the initial huge rushes that is overwhelming but before you can even blink it feels like, you're going up and into the dog tongue. Still a great launch though.
coasterlove

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 15th, 2019, 10:58 pm
I haven't ridden Maxx Force yet, but with Top Thrill what I will say is that the ride does what it does perfectly. It launches you, and than when it goes up the top hat, it SLOWS you down a ton to recollect yourselves, and than bam; you go through that awesome inversion, and it ends. So, it's bam, recollect, bam. What I THINK Maxx Force does is bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, (ilke the Flintstones lol) and it's done. I don't THINK you have the recollecting part to it, and that's what I don't really care about. An example with Batman outdoors, is that it has the recollecting part after the first 3 inversions, for instance; and to me thats what helps it make it be that great ride. The bam, bam, bam, bam, bam (infinite bam rides) are the rides where I go what just happened, and I don't like those rides, because it's just too much too fast.

I disliked Shockwave. It was boring at first because it had 3 loops basically in a row. Than it had really, really bad 2 inversions, and than the corkscrews were okay. I remember getting a really bad headache on that ride. Now, if you talk about the GREAT Shockwave, head over to Six Flags Over Texas. That's an amazing Shrawtzkopf ride.

With Tidal Wave, and it's capacity; all those capacities are set by companies in the most perfect world, and that's not going to happen. Also, please remember that Tidal Wave had more seats than Maxx Forece. Maxx Force only has 16 seats, and Tidal Wave had 28 people.

The longest great rides I really, really like are certain wooden coasters, and a ride like Superman: Ride of Steel (at Six Flags America). My top 10 coasters though the majority of coaster enthusiasts would FROWN on them and I don't really care.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 16th, 2019, 1:01 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:I haven't ridden Maxx Force yet, but with Top Thrill what I will say is that the ride does what it does perfectly. It launches you, and than when it goes up the top hat, it SLOWS you down a ton to recollect yourselves, and than bam; you go through that awesome inversion, and it ends. So, it's bam, recollect, bam. What I THINK Maxx Force does is bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, (ilke the Flintstones lol) and it's done. I don't THINK you have the recollecting part to it, and that's what I don't really care about. An example with Batman outdoors, is that it has the recollecting part after the first 3 inversions, for instance; and to me thats what helps it make it be that great ride. The bam, bam, bam, bam, bam (infinite bam rides) are the rides where I go what just happened, and I don't like those rides, because it's just too much too fast.

I disliked Shockwave. It was boring at first because it had 3 loops basically in a row. Than it had really, really bad 2 inversions, and than the corkscrews were okay. I remember getting a really bad headache on that ride. Now, if you talk about the GREAT Shockwave, head over to Six Flags Over Texas. That's an amazing Shrawtzkopf ride.

With Tidal Wave, and it's capacity; all those capacities are set by companies in the most perfect world, and that's not going to happen. Also, please remember that Tidal Wave had more seats than Maxx Forece. Maxx Force only has 16 seats, and Tidal Wave had 28 people.

The longest great rides I really, really like are certain wooden coasters, and a ride like Superman: Ride of Steel (at Six Flags America). My top 10 coasters though the majority of coaster enthusiasts would FROWN on them and I don't really care.

Have you been in a different Top Thrill then I have? Cause it doesn’t have an inversion. Are you talking. About another coaster?

B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 16th, 2019, 1:38 am
^They call it a vertical spiral. I consider that an inversion. It's like Batman outdoors zero-g roll, but this is in the vertical form. It happens right after the top hat. If you don't consider that an inversion, than whatever. I do though.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 16th, 2019, 1:46 am
^So I am curious then. Do you consider Vertical Velocity an inversion too because it’s the same track piece basically since it’s the same company.

B&MGuy35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 16th, 2019, 1:51 am
^Yes, I do. At Discovery Kingdom, they call that an inline twist just because it's lower to the ground because of height restrictions. It's a different type of inversion, but it's still an inversion to me. If my body is on one side of the track, and than my body is on the other side of the track, that to me is an inversion. That's what V2, and Top Thrill do. Picture of V2:
https://rcdb.com/747.htm#p=1739

An inversion definition: "a situation in which something is changed so that it is the opposite of what it was before". Another inversion definition says: "A reversal of position".
Ilovthevu'

Postby coasterfanatic on July 16th, 2019, 3:18 am
coasterlove wrote:I rode Maxx Force this last weekend and really enjoyed it for what it is but still wouldn't have minded a couple more elements and I certainly don't think it would have been boring or dragging. It would still be 6omph or so for another element or two and wouldn't affect capacity since it still takes so long for guests to even board properly anyway. I haven't been on Steel Vengeance but almost everyone who has been on it including many enthusiasts who have been on hundreds of coasters consider it to be one of the best coasters ever made. Personally with few exceptions, I almost always prefer a longer coaster. I'd take Raptor over Batman, New Texas Giant over Goliath and I haven't been on Gatekeeper enough to fairly compare it to X-Flight which I do really enjoy.

Going back to Maxx Force, I know a few people say they prefer the launch on many other coasters over Maxx Force. The only launch that I have been on that I prefer over Maxx Force is Top Thrill Dragster, I've been on four impulse coasters including obviously V2 and also Wicked Twister, I've been on Mr. Freeze both forwards and backwards, Flight of Fear, Storm Runner and Greezed Lighting at the former SFKK which was Tidal Wave here at SFGAm years back. I might be missing one or two but only TTD is better and it's because of the overall speed and the duration of the launch that just keeps building as if Jeff Goldblum keeps saying "Must go faster" and the ride obliges you. Maxx Force has the initial huge rushes that is overwhelming but before you can even blink it feels like, you're going up and into the dog tongue. Still a great launch though.

I consider myself a coaster enthusiast but Steel vegenance is not the best coaster ever made. It’s not even close for me! If Raptor was at our park, I likely wouldn’t ride it much. It meanders way too much. Batman is known for its insensity. It’s so intense because everything happens at once. The longer the ride the more meandering it tends to do. Like Gatekeeper. Great ride but once you hit the break run, it just meanders. The brake run is there just because CP wants a third train.

coasterfanatic

Postby AirTimeDaz on July 16th, 2019, 5:15 am
SFGAM if you're reading this.. i personally would LOVE our version of Steel Vengeance in Iron Eagle just in case you think we're all in lockstep agreement that all we want are short coasters and super loops ffs. :?
AirTimeDaz

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 16th, 2019, 9:15 am
Top Thrill Dragster has 0 inversions. At no point in the ride is one upside down.
Maxx Force on the other hand...

SaveTheWAVE

Postby Tardis1972 on July 16th, 2019, 9:52 am
Out of all the launch coasters I’ve ridden even I can say Maxx Force is my favorite. For the record these are other launch coasters I’ve ridden: TTD, Both Flight of Fears, two of the Backlot Stunt Coasters, three of the Impluse coasters(V2/WT/SV), Volcano, Thunderbird, Hulk Coaster, St. Lou Mr. Freeze(reverse), Greezed Lightning, Sidewinder(SFEG), Rock n Roller Coaster(DHS) and Mummy(USF). Now my favorite launch out all of these coasters was actually Volcano’s. Maxx Forces launch finishes in a close second followed by TTD and Thunderbird.
Last edited by Tardis1972 on July 16th, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis1972

Postby JaminOut on July 16th, 2019, 10:03 am
Maxx’s launch is nice, but it’s not my favorite. I much prefer duration of launch over intensity after a certain point. I’ve ridden enough launch coasters to have experience most types of launches. I think Maxx is definitely near the top of my list of launch coasters, but TTD definitely takes first (not because it DOESN’T have an inversion lol) because it has a really great balance between duration and intensity.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 16th, 2019, 10:56 am
As for Maxx's 5 inversions I am questioning the final 2. It appears to be just 1 inversion total. I posed the question to rcdb.com and Duane said he's also questioning it. For whatever this is worth.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby ilrider on July 16th, 2019, 11:36 am
JaminOut wrote:Maxx’s launch is nice, but it’s not my favorite. I much prefer duration of launch over intensity after a certain point. I’ve ridden enough launch coasters to have experience most types of launches. I think Maxx is definitely near the top of my list of launch coasters, but TTD definitely takes first (not because it DOESN’T have an inversion lol) because it has a really great balance between duration and intensity.

That makes sense. I have only been on MF, Backlot Stunt Coaster, V2, and Mr. Freeze, but V2 and Mr. Freeze’s launches actually freak me out more than MF did because of the build up in speed and duration of the launch, even though they are slower than MF. I thought MF was going to scare the absolute heck out of me, and while it was my favorite of those four launches for sure and a ton more intense, it was so instant and over so quickly, I barely had time to react other than the immediate “Oh crap!” moment.
Last edited by ilrider on July 16th, 2019, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilrider

Postby redrobinround on July 16th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Image look what arrived

redrobinround

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 16th, 2019, 4:22 pm
Some added already

B&MGuy35

Postby redrobinround on July 16th, 2019, 4:38 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Some added already

do u have any more pics of the progress (like queue and station

redrobinround

Postby cliffhanger on July 16th, 2019, 5:02 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Some added already

Wow, that makes a big difference. Now they just need to finish painting the rest of it :roll:
cliffhanger

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum