Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby cliffhanger on July 12th, 2019, 11:35 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:^^It happened yesterday at opening. Please ride it. Please ride it. People just kept on walking by. It took forever to get the first ride of the day because no one wanted to ride it.

"Hmm, get in line for a 0-80 launch, or get in line for a glorified elevator...." You can't really use that as evidence when the new ride is 100ft away, lol
cliffhanger

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 11:42 am
^Families should be riding Sky Trek Tower; not necessarily Maxx Force people. A Maxx Force person should be riding Maxx Force over something like Goliath, and it shouldn't affect Sky Trek Tower that much. As for the iconic thing, you can say anything is iconic for Great America. They had an iconic awesome looking Space Shuttle, and bulldozed that. They had an iconic Pictorium (largest imax experience, etc) theater, and they tore that down. It's a pole. They could put a Skyscreamer. It looks similar to the same thing. It would be another towering structure, and all of a sudden, that's iconic. Something truly iconic is something like the Eiffel tower at Kings Island, the Magic Kingdom castle, or Spaceship Earth at Epcot. It's literally just a pole. And Giant Drop is another pole.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 12th, 2019, 12:00 pm
I think Maxx Force has actually made it popular again. People are gonna want to ride it to get a view of Maxx. When I was there a few weeks back the whole queue was filled up and spilling into the midway. Also I went by the other day around before it was gonna reopen for the day and there was a line of people waiting for it. I actually think the only reason they close is it staffing issues. The staff rotates with Columbia and prolly now Maxx to relieve people for breaks and such. I swear one of them told me that last year but I may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm
I’m at park now and Sky Trek has been going all day so far with full cabins. Looks like it will be very busy today as lots of cars coming in. Super was dispatching very slow! Force was open but I’ll hit that up later/towards end of day.

Also, Sky Trek needs at least 20 people to operate. So if there’s only 10 in line at a moment, they will ask people to ride to prevent those in line from waiting too long. I ride Tower anytime I get. It’s great to relax and take in views from highest point in the park.

coasterfanatic

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 12:22 pm
With Maxx Force open, what I want to know is; what lines is it really affecting? Because of Maxx Force being open, is Superman, and V2 only a 20 minute line when last summer, it would be 60 minutes during the middle of the day? Is Raging Bull considerably shorter, and by how much as compared to last year during the middle of the day? X-Flight? Viper? etc When I went on Whizzer yesterday, they had about every single line open.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 12th, 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 12th, 2019, 12:27 pm
I agree that Maxx Force is giving people a great reason to ride STT again.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby coasterfanatic on July 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:With Maxx Force open, what I want to know is; what lines is it really affecting? Because of Maxx Force being open, is Superman, and V2 only a 20 minute line when last summer, it would be 60 minutes during the middle of the day? Is Raging Bull considerably shorter, and by how much as compared to last year during the middle of the day? X-Flight? Viper? etc When I went on Whizzer yesterday, they had about every single line open.

As of right now. Super had the worst line. 45 minutes and no queues open. Everything has been short. They are partially into back lot right now so we should be reach peak of day but waterpark will likely eat some people too.

coasterfanatic

Postby Airboss on July 12th, 2019, 1:47 pm
I've ridden Maxx twice today. Great ride. Both trains running, dispatches averaging 2:25 for an average capacity of 395pph. Waited 30 mins for my first ride (although I got to it 20 mins before Opening), and waited about 55 mins for my second ride. Dispatches are decently quick but they could be improved so much if the train would enter the train sooner.
Airboss

Postby coasterfanatic on July 12th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Yep. Two trains. Queue almost finished. Just rode Sky Trek. Even small queue not open on MaxxForce. Back lot half full.

coasterfanatic

Postby Chirojon on July 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Airboss wrote:I've ridden Maxx twice today. Great ride. Both trains running, dispatches averaging 2:25 for an average capacity of 395pph. Waited 30 mins for my first ride (although I got to it 20 mins before Opening), and waited about 55 mins for my second ride. Dispatches are decently quick but they could be improved so much if the train would enter the train sooner.

Yes! Agreed, it would be nice if it entered the station quicker.
Chirojon

Postby redrobinround on July 12th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Chirojon wrote:
Airboss wrote:I've ridden Maxx twice today. Great ride. Both trains running, dispatches averaging 2:25 for an average capacity of 395pph. Waited 30 mins for my first ride (although I got to it 20 mins before Opening), and waited about 55 mins for my second ride. Dispatches are decently quick but they could be improved so much if the train would enter the train sooner.

Im appalled with the capacity even the joker is better

redrobinround

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 12th, 2019, 2:31 pm
A pic I took a couple of days ago. Thought I would share it with all of you. Image

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby coasterfanatic on July 12th, 2019, 5:23 pm
MaxxForce will be closed for remainder of day!!!

coasterfanatic

Postby Jodon on July 12th, 2019, 6:38 pm
I got to ride it today and the launch was great and the rest of the ride was a lot of fun! I was able to ride the second train and 4th train of the day (benefit of being a single rider). I rode it again around 1:15 pm and the line was just outside the entrance. There were people working on the rails this morning. I think all of the rails are set in grout, but there needs to be some welding and paint. I thought it was odd that the park didn't use the small queue area by the station, but I actually think that having the queues all messed up is actually helping the wait time, because people saw the line spilling out the entrance and kept walking by even though the wait was about the same as most coasters by mid afternoon.

It's a good thing that people passed it up, because the dispatches are terrible. I timed 4 consecutive dispatches. Only one was under 3 minutes and the longest was 3:21 with an average of about 3:10 for a RPH of 304. That is awful. If Six Flags was a competent company that cared about guest experience, they would be horrified by that throughput, but they aren't.
Jodon

Postby Tardis1972 on July 13th, 2019, 10:10 am
I got a few rides on Maxx Force yesterday as well including a front row ride. Only waited a little over an hour for each ride.
^ Speaking of single rider they really need to get that supposed single rider line open already.
Tardis1972

Postby Airboss on July 13th, 2019, 10:47 am
Tardis1972 wrote:I got a few rides on Maxx Force yesterday as well including a front row ride. Only waited a little over an hour for each ride.
^ Speaking of single rider they really need to get that supposed single rider line open already.

I'm very confused about what they're doing with the single rider line. Structurally, they have everything they need to operate it. They have the physical queue for it and they have a grouper in the station who can easily use it. All they need to do is get rid of the trash can that's blocking it.. Which makes me wonder why they haven't.

Also, I'm not convinced they even need the single rider line. Currently, whenever they need to fill an empty seat, the group walks down the (empty) single rider line calling for single riders from the regular queue. This system seemed to work pretty well to fill empty seats.

Plus, the single rider line won't really save you any time. Let's assume, on average, 2 seats per train are filled by the single rider line. That means, after the fork, the regular queue will move at a rate of 14 people per train, and the single rider line will move at a rate of 2 people per train. If both the single rider line and the regular line are full, it will just make more sense to go in the regular line. You'll get to request your row as well.
Airboss

Postby Sven18 on July 13th, 2019, 11:08 am
redrobinround wrote:
Chirojon wrote:

Im appalled with the capacity even the joker is better

Six Flags doesn't care about capacity, it's about cost. They put 4D's & Zacpins at their 3 highest attended parks. Maxx Force capacity is horrible & always will be, though some earlier in the thread were complaining about ops. The ride is limited by its design, 16 passengers, short ride, etc.. The things SF could have done to make capacity better they didn't do ie...switch track and/or dual loading station which you could run 4 trains & have the limiting factor be the refractory period of the launch system.

As designed this thing will run at best at 2min intervals & that's with customers being really quick, The day I was there this week it was running at about 2:30 to 3min ..timed it during the 90 min wait.
2 min launches gets 480 /hr - best case scenario
2min 20 launches gets 400/hr -
3 min launches gets 320/hr - the day I went
Have to love SF planning of cost over all else.... LOL!
Sven18

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 13th, 2019, 11:25 am
Maxx was amazing. The launch took my breath away! So smooth too. Definitely one my favorites at the park, if not my favorite.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Jacklw6499 on July 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby coasterlove on July 13th, 2019, 2:34 pm
^ Thumbs up on that video. It really is ridiculous how they always seem to do that. Speaking of X-Flight, they even went cheap on the station. The station in the announcement looked great and what we got looked little more than a circus tent. Meanwhile, Cedar Point made the station for Gatekeeper that X-Flight looked like it was going to happen.

Sven18 wrote:
Six Flags doesn't care about capacity, it's about cost. They put 4D's & Zacpins at their 3 highest attended parks. Maxx Force capacity is horrible & always will be, though some earlier in the thread were complaining about ops. The ride is limited by its design, 16 passengers, short ride, etc.. The things SF could have done to make capacity better they didn't do ie...switch track and/or dual loading station which you could run 4 trains & have the limiting factor be the refractory period of the launch system.

As designed this thing will run at best at 2min intervals & that's with customers being really quick, The day I was there this week it was running at about 2:30 to 3min ..timed it during the 90 min wait.
2 min launches gets 480 /hr - best case scenario
2min 20 launches gets 400/hr -
3 min launches gets 320/hr - the day I went
Have to love SF planning of cost over all else.... LOL!

True about the capacity and it's a shame. At least though with the 4D spinning 'wild mouse' coasters as I call them, they're not major attractions with record breaking stats. A lot of people might ride a coaster like Joker just once or twice and not much ever again unless the ride has a short line. Maxx Force on the other hand is a major attention grabbing coaster. With capacity like that, it's absolutely horrible. At least when they planned Deja Vu, they opened V2 alongside it although V2 opened much earlier but you get the idea. I don't know how a major park can think it's a good idea to open a major coaster if they can't even hit 500pph. In my opinion, a major coaster at a major park should try for no less than 1,000pph or at least close. Even at best case scenario even though it would practically be impossible as designed, if they managed a launch a minute, it would still only put them at 960pph. Does anyone know for certain what the ride be capable of launch intervals without any other issues such as loading, waiting for the previous train to clear brakes, etc? Meaning specifically the launch mechanism, what is it capable of? I know I've seen Top Thrill Dragster do intervals close to a minute, possibly slightly less? I've never timed it but I know I've seen it where one train cleared the brakes, roughly 20 seconds later and the next one was lining up and the pulley was coming back and setting up for the next and it didn't seem like more than another 45 seconds after that the next launched, making it about 65-75 seconds at most.
coasterlove

Postby coasterfanatic on July 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Did MaxxForce open today?

coasterfanatic

Postby IssaCoaster on July 13th, 2019, 2:39 pm
Jacklw6499 wrote:This video... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHGTgQcgY4

Geez, I forgot the station building was supposed to look like that. I'm pretty dissapointed that it doesn't look like it does in the teaser.
IssaCoaster

Postby gottastrata33 on July 13th, 2019, 3:00 pm
What’s the station/area/que lookin like, any photos?
gottastrata33

Postby Airboss on July 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:What’s the station/area/que lookin like, any photos?

Here's a picture I took from STT yesterday, gives a nice view of the area:

coasterlove wrote:Does anyone know for certain what the ride be capable of launch intervals without any other issues such as loading, waiting for the previous train to clear brakes, etc? Meaning specifically the launch mechanism, what is it capable of?

Yesterday, during testing (before the park opened), the quickest launches I saw were 100 seconds apart. So the launch interval is <=100 seconds. The only way to know the exact interval would be to start a stopwatch when the train launches, and end it when the catch car is back in the original position, under the assumption that the system is ready to launch again when the catch car has returned. I'll try and make sure I time this interval during my next visit if no one already has.
Airboss

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 13th, 2019, 5:07 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
Jacklw6499 wrote:This video... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHGTgQcgY4

Geez, I forgot the station building was supposed to look like that. I'm pretty dissapointed that it doesn't look like it does in the teaser.

I’m assuming the fin things on top are still coming, and that’s what the random poles sticking out of the roof are for...really hope we’re not looking at the final product.
DeathbyDinn

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum