Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ChiefBeef234 on July 8th, 2019, 12:10 am
chicagolandcoasters wrote:They’re reprogramming maxx force tomorrow morning so that it will stop on the brakes closer to the station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any chance they can reprogram the brake run train and station train to move at the same time so the launching train doesn't need to wait for the other train to enter the station. It should just be in the station by the time the train is on the launch track.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ChiefBeef234

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 8th, 2019, 12:20 am
ChiefBeef234 wrote:
chicagolandcoasters wrote:They’re reprogramming maxx force tomorrow morning so that it will stop on the brakes closer to the station

Any chance they can reprogram the brake run train and station train to move at the same time so the launching train doesn't need to wait for the other train to enter the station. It should just be in the station by the time the train is on the launch track.

Isn’t it already
The three times I rode it the gates were opening for the new riders as the train was launching.

B&MGuy35

Postby coasterfanatic on July 8th, 2019, 12:26 am
That’s not a programming issue. That’s just the way a coaster works. It’s called a block section. Train has to clear the block section. In this case there’s only two blocks, the station and rest of ride! Thus train needs to clear block before next train can be launch.

Most other two train coasters don’t have this problem because there’s actually two sets of brake runs so train only has to clear first break run before train in station can leave.
coasterfanatic

Postby ChiefBeef234 on July 8th, 2019, 12:38 am
coasterfanatic wrote:That’s not a programming issue. That’s just the way a coaster works. It’s called a block section. Train has to clear the block section. In this case there’s only two blocks, the station and rest of ride! Thus train needs to clear block before next train can be launch.

Most other two train coasters don’t have this problem because there’s actually two sets of brake runs so train only has to clear first break run before train in station can leave.
I know, but the way the station and final block can be setup can allow for the two trains to move as one basically acting as one giant block. If something happens the entire block shuts off causing both trains to stop thus is safe to move both at the same time (requires that both trains are constantly intact with drive tires, friction brakes, and sensors that track their exact position to make sure they don't get too close). That probably requires extra sensors that need to be installed so definitely no. I've seen it on some modern coasters recently. The positioning of the brake run, station, and launch position make this possible but S&S probably aren't equipped to do that.

ChiefBeef234

Postby Airboss on July 8th, 2019, 7:23 am
^ This is called rolling blocks (also known as multimove) and it's extremely efficient. Here's a short video of it happening on Maverick - https://youtu.be/Hxtkj_zH1rA. You see that the 2nd train starts moving seconds after the first train, instead of waiting for the first train to completely exit the block. However this requires tons of extra sensors, so I wouldn't expect them to add it to Maxx Force.

I do hope that something is done in terms of block programming though. Take a look at CoasterNick3157's POV - https://youtu.be/B_VMvcsIGXg. You'll see that the train is dispatched at 0:30, and the next train's restraints unlock at 1:35 (you can't see this but you can hear the operator giving a countdown to when the restraints will unlock). That's 65 seconds. 65 seconds where absolutely nothing is happening in terms of loading. For reference, Steel Vengeance takes 30-35 seconds from dispatch to restraints unlocking on the incoming train. 65 seconds is a crazy long time. If they cut it down to ~30 seconds by making the drive tires move faster, they would save 35 seconds every cycle. Think about what that would do for the ride's capacity!
Airboss

Postby Jackluver18 on July 8th, 2019, 9:33 am
Yesterday Maxx didn't want to cooperate as Black train had to be taken off in the morning so it ran a one train op until red train didn't want to cooperate either as there was some sort of sensor issue or something happened that it would go out to the launch pad and the fins didn't drop so 4 workers had to push the train back into place and they tried 3 times then the riders had to be evacuated. Everyone in line got a comp ticket for any ride including Maxx. It was closed for awhile prior to getting in line before closing and then when we were in the AAP line waiting is when the ride train decided it didn't want to go anymore.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 9:57 am
I'm at the park. Maxx Force is testing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SaveTheWAVE

Postby JaminOut on July 8th, 2019, 10:27 am
I’ve been here since 9:30 and have not seen or heard Maxx running???
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 10:51 am
It launched twice around 9:50 and 10:10.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 8th, 2019, 11:02 am
SaveTheWAVE wrote:It launched twice around 9:50 and 10:10.

Is the queue finished?
Station looked painted?

B&MGuy35

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 11:21 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:

Is the queue finished?
Station looked painted?

Not yet. No work on the station as far as I can tell. Image

SaveTheWAVE

Postby gottastrata33 on July 8th, 2019, 11:28 am
If the station is going to be white, they have a lot to paint still. I thought the White was the primer for red because the sections that are painted white are blotchy. The area in my opinion is an eye sore. If it wasn’t for the 10 bushes & plants they put in, it would look horrendous. But it’s still terrible.
gottastrata33

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 11:43 am
I agree with you. I could be wrong, but isn't the station supposed to have some more decoration on the roof?
As far as the area that Maxx Force lives in,
I would even settle for a sequence of signage in the queue area detailing the stats of the ride and explaining the propulsion system of Maxx Force.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 8th, 2019, 12:17 pm
^ I LOVE your idea of having boards with details on the launch and how it works! They could put signs in the queue once you pass the marquee.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on July 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm
^Thank you!!
I'm in line for Maxx Force right now. I've been seeing/hearing it test regularly. Looks like the 2 pm opening is within reason.

Edit: ** I just received word from SFGAm staff at 1:35 pm that Maxx Force will likely open between 2:30-3 pm.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 8th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Yeah, I just left the line. I did not feel like waiting any longer. Felt like I was gonna pass out.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 2:56 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Yeah, I just left the line. I did not feel like waiting any longer. Felt like I was gonna pass out.
Are you okay? Did you get some fluids?

SaveTheWAVE

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 8th, 2019, 3:08 pm
Yes, I'm fine now at home. Thanks for thinking of me :) Did Maxx end up opening?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JaminOut on July 8th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Maxx opened around 2:55. I had been in line since 1:00 and got on at 3:20ish. Dispatching every 3-3.5 minutes. Hopefully it will still be open near park close so I can get another ride at the end of the night. The line right now appears to be 2.5+ hours.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby cliffhanger on July 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm
JaminOut wrote:Maxx opened around 2:55.

Could you notice anything different with the ride?
cliffhanger

Postby JaminOut on July 8th, 2019, 5:14 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
JaminOut wrote:Maxx opened around 2:55.

Could you notice anything different with the ride?

I didn’t ride the original version, but the braking didn’t seem as abrupt as people were talking about.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 8th, 2019, 5:58 pm
Is there any word that Maxx will be opening later tomorrow too?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SaveTheWAVE on July 8th, 2019, 6:04 pm
That's a good question. I'm really not sure. Maxx Force has been down for about an hour. It rolled back with people on it. The poor people that waited two hours for Maxx Force ended up getting a half of a launch and it hasn't reopened since.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby CoasterNick3157 on July 8th, 2019, 7:43 pm
The Rollback fins wont go down to launch until the other train harness unlock then the train launches

Airboss wrote:^ This is called rolling blocks (also known as multimove) and it's extremely efficient. Here's a short video of it happening on Maverick - https://youtu.be/Hxtkj_zH1rA. You see that the 2nd train starts moving seconds after the first train, instead of waiting for the first train to completely exit the block. However this requires tons of extra sensors, so I wouldn't expect them to add it to Maxx Force.

I do hope that something is done in terms of block programming though. Take a look at CoasterNick3157's POV - https://youtu.be/B_VMvcsIGXg. You'll see that the train is dispatched at 0:30, and the next train's restraints unlock at 1:35 (you can't see this but you can hear the operator giving a countdown to when the restraints will unlock). That's 65 seconds. 65 seconds where absolutely nothing is happening in terms of loading. For reference, Steel Vengeance takes 30-35 seconds from dispatch to restraints unlocking on the incoming train. 65 seconds is a crazy long time. If they cut it down to ~30 seconds by making the drive tires move faster, they would save 35 seconds every cycle. Think about what that would do for the ride's capacity!
CoasterNick3157

Postby CoasterNick3157 on July 8th, 2019, 7:45 pm
Did the crew go on strike or go home for the summer?????

SaveTheWAVE wrote:
B&MGuy35 wrote:

Is the queue finished?
Station looked painted?

Not yet. No work on the station as far as I can tell. Image

CoasterNick3157

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum