Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby redrobinround on June 12th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Someone is saying Goliath was rushed? They said the theming was cut off the budget and they got rid of an ‘exit gate’?
Was it rushed? What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redrobinround

Postby IssaCoaster on June 12th, 2019, 7:59 pm
redrobinround wrote:Someone is saying Goliath was rushed? They said the theming was cut off the budget and they got rid of an ‘exit gate’?

I heard that they also cut part of the layout out of Goliath as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby DeathbyDinn on June 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Was watching Six Flags Mexico videos when I noticed something familiar in their new DC Super Friends area..

https://youtu.be/zZdXIOnrXjE?t=227
DeathbyDinn

Postby redrobinround on June 12th, 2019, 9:17 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
redrobinround wrote:Someone is saying Goliath was rushed? They said the theming was cut off the budget and they got rid of an ‘exit gate’?

I heard that they also cut part of the layout out of Goliath as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Thats insane! Is that the big center void of dirt?

redrobinround

Postby JaminOut on June 12th, 2019, 9:40 pm

If you watch some of the Goliath Insider videos from winter 2013/2014, they show some concept art of the station and surrounding area that never came to fruition.

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby redrobinround on June 12th, 2019, 10:22 pm
JaminOut wrote:

If you watch some of the Goliath Insider videos from winter 2013/2014, they show some concept art of the station and surrounding area that never came to fruition.

Really? I cant find it. Is it the tunnel wall?

redrobinround

Postby coasterfanatic on June 14th, 2019, 11:02 pm
Any heard if and when the mobile ordering is going to start? I ate at JBs today and they had 1 guy taking orders. ONE and everyone in line had the dining pass. It was soooo slow and totally ridiculous. The food came rather quickly.

I visited the Member Lounge for first time and enjoyed it. 3 Freestyles, couches and charging ports.

Bull and Whizzer still have two trains. Bull needs its third. Line went into second queue house today.

Other than that, everything else was pretty solid. Nothing to cray. A decently busy day. Battle opened for it's normal 2-3 hours. (First time I've been to park when it's been open in a while). Flumes were not open.
coasterfanatic

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 15th, 2019, 12:46 am
I saw people on the Yankee Clipper ride. Joker was shut down most of the day, and I think it was because of gusty winds. Hopefully, I'm talking to people that know better, but just make sure to keep your hands at least near the car on Whizzer.

A person on Friday, got a bloody arm from the Whizzer (I would assume stretching their hands out towards the trees.), and they had to shut the ride down, and than get landscape people to cut the tree branches. After that, it opened again. So, don't do it, and if you have a kid (riding with them); tell them not to do it either. I know they were gusty winds, but still.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Tardis1972 on June 15th, 2019, 10:43 am
Yes Yankee Clipper was open yesterday but Loggers Run wasn’t. Loggers didn’t even have its flume hill up. Both sides of Eagle were open also which is something I haven’t seen in a while.
Tardis1972

Postby ChicagoCoasters on June 15th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:Yes Yankee Clipper was open yesterday but Loggers Run wasn’t. Loggers didn’t even have its flume hill up. Both sides of Eagle were open also which is something I haven’t seen in a while.

Were they going at the same time (racing) or still nah

1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby JT2002 on June 15th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I saw people on the Yankee Clipper ride. Joker was shut down most of the day, and I think it was because of gusty winds. Hopefully, I'm talking to people that know better, but just make sure to keep your hands at least near the car on Whizzer.

A person on Friday, got a bloody arm from the Whizzer (I would assume stretching their hands out towards the trees.), and they had to shut the ride down, and than get landscape people to cut the tree branches. After that, it opened again. So, don't do it, and if you have a kid (riding with them); tell them not to do it either. I know they were gusty winds, but still.

They'e kept one or both of the flumes closed most days because they need a good amount of work, especially Logger's. Joker has been down a lot lately because they've been having issues with the lift I think.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby Tardis1972 on June 15th, 2019, 9:56 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:
Tardis1972 wrote:Yes Yankee Clipper was open yesterday but Loggers Run wasn’t. Loggers didn’t even have its flume hill up. Both sides of Eagle were open also which is something I haven’t seen in a while.

Were they going at the same time (racing) or still nah

Not racing. Also the red side wasn’t even open at first so I was even more surprised to see both sides running.
Tardis1972

Postby ledgeland on June 16th, 2019, 9:40 pm
Going up the Superman lift you can see a bright blue ride car of some kind sitting by shipping containers near the back corner of the building for Dark Knight. Anyone know what that is from?
ledgeland

Postby JaminOut on June 16th, 2019, 11:26 pm
This was part of an old photo spot in Yankee Harbor across from Gotham Arcade, near V2.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby JT2002 on June 17th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Why are they playing the parade music right now???? (Dancing in the street)
JT2002

Postby ledgeland on June 17th, 2019, 5:44 pm
JaminOut wrote:This was part of an old photo spot in Yankee Harbor across from Gotham Arcade, near V2.

Thanks! It's fascinating to what degree the park rarely seems to actually get rid of anything.
ledgeland

Postby JT2002 on June 18th, 2019, 6:10 pm
ledgeland wrote:
JaminOut wrote:This was part of an old photo spot in Yankee Harbor across from Gotham Arcade, near V2.

Thanks! It's fascinating to what degree the park rarely seems to actually get rid of anything.

They literally never throw anything away because A. they don't know how, and B. it's too expensive
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby redrobinround on June 19th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Imageraging bull train 3

redrobinround

Postby ChicagoCoasters on June 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm
redrobinround wrote:Imageraging bull train 3

Wow, they're still doing maintenance on that. That's almost unacceptable. This train may not be on the tracks until mid July. Maxx Force might open before RB's red train makes it on the tracks. Which one will happen first? I'm going with Maxx Force.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby Mr.Maverick on June 20th, 2019, 10:22 am
Duplicate
Last edited by Mr.Maverick on April 8th, 2020, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Maverick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Mr.Maverick wrote:Did anyone see the signs and the paper they give you at parking about the sprint bring a friend? If you show your season pass or membership at one of the participating stores on the event days, you get a bonus bring a friend free. I think I might go to the Waukegan store tomorrow and get it!

Yep, I saw it on the Benefits portal! I'm going to Schaumburg on Sat. morning. I hope they don't run out!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 20th, 2019, 1:56 pm
^ is that train 3, row 3 ?? LOL. Where's the rest of it?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby staticshadows on June 20th, 2019, 6:59 pm
Interesting article.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190620/great-wolf-lodge-in-gurnee-to-offer-water-park-only-passes-rankling-great-america-exec
Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee to offer water park-only passes, rankling Great America exec

Starting Friday, you won't have to be a hotel guest to swim and splash at Great Wolf Lodge's large indoor water park in Gurnee.

Day passes will be available for purchase during a 45-day trial program unanimously approved by the Gurnee village board Monday. But while hotel officials estimate the day passes, if extended, could bring in $200,000 a year in taxes for the village, not everyone is happy about the change. Gurnee Mayor Kristina Kovarik said Six Flags Great America Park President Hank Salemi had issues with Great Wolf Lodge's proposal.

"I want to make sure the board's aware that Six Flags management expressed some concerns of this being competitive during the same season as their water park is," Kovarik said at the board meeting.

Great America's Hurricane Harbor, a large outdoor water park with 17 attractions, begins its season Memorial Day weekend and usually closes in late August or early September.

Caitlin Kepple, a Great America spokeswoman, confirmed that Salemi was concerned, but said he was traveling this week and wasn't able to comment further.

Steven Jacobsen, Great Wolf Lodge vice president of domestic development, said at Monday's meeting he didn't feel the new program would harm Great America because Great Wolf would offer a set number of water park passes per day based on the number of vacant rooms.

"From Great America's standpoint, their peak is the summer, that's where we have our highest occupancy so the (number of) day passes would be the lowest. Our highest would be when they're not open," Jacobsen said, referring to day pass sales. "All we're trying to do is just fill in the trough periods of when the lodge is slow paced."

The Great Wolf water park is open year-round and is always kept at 84 degrees. The water park has 15 waterslides and Fort Mackenzie, a wet jungle gym topped with a giant bucket that fills with 700 gallons of water to be dumped over guests.

Jacobsen said the price of day passes would fluctuate, with $40 being the lowest. The program would be priced in such a way that the cost of multiple passes would encourage families to stay the night since rooms range from about $150 to $400.

Murray Hennessy, chief executive officer for Great Wolf Resorts, said Thursday that by limiting the number of day passes they offer they are avoiding overcrowding.

"Families love knowing that when they come to the water park at Great Wolf Lodge, they won't need to wait in long lines for their favorite slides, struggle to find a deck chair, or swim shoulder to shoulder in our pools," Hennessy said. "By managing capacity levels at our water parks we will continue to offer a stress-free water park experience, just as we have from the onset of Great Wolf Lodge."

When the trial period ends, Great Wolf officials will have to return to the village board to seek approval for selling year-round day passes.

Kovarik said she and village administrator Pat Muetz were happy when they sat down with Great Wolf officials and heard their restrictions. She said she believes the day pass program is good for Great Wolf during nonpeak times.

"We always want to take good care of Gurnee Mills, Six Flags and Great Wolf," Kovarik said. "They drive everything; it is the halo effect."

The trial period at the Gurnee location coincides with Great Wolf's national launch for the day pass program. To mark the occasion Great Wolf Lodge will donate $5 to Make-A-Wish for every day pass sold now through the end of June. Day passes are only available for purchase online at greatwolf.com/daypass.
staticshadows

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 21st, 2019, 6:25 pm
Who cares if Hank Salemi is not happy about Great Wolf Lodge having day passes? It's called them being a company, and Six Flags being a completely different company. If Six Flags waterpark was managed so wonderfully, than they would never have to worry about people wanting to go to the Great Wolf Lodge during the summertime. What's Hank going to do next? File a petition to close down Gurnee Mills Mall because you see hundreds and hundreds of cars in the parking lot because the Six Flags corporation doesn't like "competition". lol lol lol

For the town of Gurnee, they should put something in the Krispy Kreme already? How long has that property been vacant? 8 years maybe?? Everything else seems to survive, so why can't they fill that spot? I don't get it?? I would say the Gurnee area really needs a pizza restaurant (other than Chuck E Cheeses which is for kids). They had an Uno's, and that went out of business because the whole corporation tanked for the most part. They had a full scale Pizza Hut, and they might have moved to a smaller location that I wouldn't eat at that place because it's not a restaurant. So, I don't really care about a small Pizza Hut. What about a Giordianos / Lou Malanatti's restaurant? They are lacking in the pizza department! To me, they should also get a 7-11. They don't have any. They don't even have 1 in the next town over (Libertyville). I would like a Jack in the Box too, but those are mostly towards St. Louis even though they do have 13 in Illinois.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby staticshadows on June 21st, 2019, 8:29 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:For the town of Gurnee, they should put something in the Krispy Kreme already? How long has that property been vacant? 8 years maybe?? Everything else seems to survive, so why can't they fill that spot? I don't get it?? I would say the Gurnee area really needs a pizza restaurant (other than Chuck E Cheeses which is for kids). They had an Uno's, and that went out of business because the whole corporation tanked for the most part. They had a full scale Pizza Hut, and they might have moved to a smaller location that I wouldn't eat at that place because it's not a restaurant. So, I don't really care about a small Pizza Hut. What about a Giordianos / Lou Malanatti's restaurant? They are lacking in the pizza department!

The Krispy Kreme building is owned by Chuck E Cheese because they need the extra parking spaces when they are open. A family owned breakfast/lunch restaurant was already approved by the village and will not be open during peak Chuck E Cheese hours.

The Uno’s building is owned by a foreign investor and will probably be vacant for awhile.

Gurnee has more than enough pizza places, many of them are not chain restaurants. Giordano’s is in Gurnee Town Center, Lou Malnati’s is on Rt. 45 in the Village of Third Lake.
staticshadows

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum