Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby IssaCoaster on June 11th, 2019, 1:16 pm
To be fair, it's been a couple years since the opening of the other air launch coasters. Also, the launch speed is not as fast as the other air launch coasters. I hope in those couple of years, they made some adjustments to perfect it. However.... Six flags and S&S Air Launch? Sketchy....

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
IssaCoaster

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 11th, 2019, 1:25 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:The next gen S&S air launch coasters Japan are operating without incident as far as I know...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I don't live in Japan. I don't know if the ride breaks down 10 times a day or none. The only way you really know is if some person visits the ride, and their experience for a day, or 3 days in a row.

About China at Happy Valley, I guess that person is talking about Extreme Rusher SBNO from 8/2013 to 3/15/2014, and the Bullet Coaster SBNO from 11/2012 to 6/30/2013. These parks must be open all year.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 11th, 2019, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby ilrider on June 11th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:This is interesting on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... _coasters/

It sounds like a very, very poor decision to buy one of these, types of rides.

I have read their launch coasters in China that were built in the last several years are pretty reliable. Hypersonic was the first of its kind, and Ring Racer was supposed to go well over 100 mph, so I am not terribly concerned yet.
ilrider

Postby redrobinround on June 11th, 2019, 1:34 pm
ilrider wrote:

I have read their launch coasters in China that were built in the last several years are pretty reliable. Hypersonic was the first of its kind, and Ring Racer was supposed to go well over 100 mph, so I am not terribly concerned yet.
what about powder keg at silver dollar city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redrobinround

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Hypersonic XLC was also S&S's first ever rollercoaster.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby ilrider on June 11th, 2019, 1:39 pm
redrobinround wrote:
ilrider wrote:

what about powder keg at silver dollar city

I have not heard of any major issues with the launch on PK. That one only goes 58 mph, though. The ones in China go 83, so comparable to MF.
ilrider

Postby willxxforce on June 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Hypersonic XLC was the original prototype coaster that Kings Dominion bought right out of the S&S testing lot and slightly modified it for their park. And most of its issues were with the airplane-like rubber wheels. Their 2nd coaster do-dodonpa was much more reliable and still runs in Japan today. Here's a pretty interesting video on it https://youtu.be/TIQ0fyz6HAA

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Maxx Force will be my 50th
willxxforce

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 11th, 2019, 1:48 pm
The SBNO on rcdb doesn't really prove much (if it doesn't list it). Vertical Velocity (during it years) has been SBNO for about a month or 2 for even multiple years, but it's not listed. Rcdb doesn't really prove the reliability issues of ALL rides. For instance, Steel Venom (formerly at Gaugea Lake) had a major incident, but rcdb doesn't even mention it.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 11th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Just saw Maxx Force launch very slowly while in Whizzer's line. I tried to take pics but is blocked by lots of trees. If you go to SFGAm and are by Maxx Force listen for an quickly alternating two toned pitch. The launch comes a few seconds after.

SaveTheWAVE

Postby Jacklw6499 on June 11th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Copy and paste this link for small testing
https://www.instagram.com/p/BylBzNDBFMJ ... hare_sheet
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 11th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Ring Racer was designed by the highly renowned Alan Schilke, so I'm very surprised that ride was a lemon.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Falcon on June 11th, 2019, 3:02 pm
I don't think Allen would have done any engineering on the launch. From my understanding, he handles the layouts and design of the support structure
Falcon

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2019, 3:11 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote: If you go to SFGAm and are by Maxx Force listen for an quickly alternating two toned pitch. The launch comes a few seconds after.

I was hoping Maxx wouldn't have that launch noise. It sounds dumb, but I know it's required.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SaveTheWAVE on June 11th, 2019, 3:15 pm
Maxx Force on launch track for the last 45 minutesImageImageImageImageImageImage

SaveTheWAVE

Postby B&MGuy35 on June 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm
That tunnel is definitely gonna be a head chopper!

B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2019, 8:18 pm
I saw a facebook video where it launched itself almost half way up! Great to see we're getting closer to a MAXX launch potential.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JT2002 on June 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm
lol, just keep riding sky trek every day to watch for testing
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby ChicagoCoasters on June 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I saw a facebook video where it launched itself almost half way up! Great to see we're getting closer to a MAXX launch potential.

Can you post the link please

1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 11th, 2019, 8:33 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:That tunnel is definitely gonna be a head chopper!

:shock: wow is there even enough clearance for raised hands? :lol: :?
AirTimeDaz

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2019, 8:47 pm
https://m.facebook.com/groups/167971837 ... oser=false

The video quality is awful, but at the very end it launches half way up.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby UnclePennybags on June 11th, 2019, 9:08 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:https://m.facebook.com/groups/1679718378976384?view=permalink&id=2334813196800229&anchor_composer=false

The video quality is awful, but at the very end it launches half way up.

Happy to see testing, but these videos are like Sasquatch or UFO videos.
UnclePennybags

Postby redrobinround on June 11th, 2019, 9:08 pm
so when i am in line for 3 hours all im going to hear is beep beep beep

redrobinround

Postby coasterkidd100 on June 11th, 2019, 10:02 pm
I don't think the beeping noise will be apart of the coasters normal operation. The beeping noise could mean several things right now. It could be a safety alarm to let the operator know that the train doesn't have enough speed to clear the incline and that it is going to roll back. It could also be a safety alarm to tell any employees to stay clear of the track because the train is about to move. Most coasters at the park have alarms that sound before they start their lifts or other motors to let ride employees or maintenance staff know that the coaster train my start moving and to stay clear of the track. Any time I had to restart Superman's lift hill when I worked at the park, there would be an alarm for several seconds before it actually started as a safety measure to make sure all staff knew the train could start moving at any time.
coasterkidd100

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 11th, 2019, 10:09 pm
^ That could be possible, but watching povs of other S&S air launches, some of them have a beeping alarm before the launch. I'm hoping Maxx will have a countdown or signal light before the launch.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby gottastrata33 on June 11th, 2019, 10:28 pm
lol pennybags, you’re right. That video was awful. & yes, I think the “siren” is part of their safety system. As mentioned, the other air launches have it too. Do-Dodonpa has an actual countdown that says “launch time!” Lol I love it. But I’m thinking we’re gettin the beeps sooo
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum