Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

RMC EAGLE?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ernstwhere on March 20th, 2019, 2:42 pm
I forgot about the Circus. How many seasons did that run? That was when Ricochet was sited on the pedestal where the sky coaster is now and was called The Big Top. Thanks for clarifying.
ernstwhere

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 21st, 2019, 2:52 pm
I Remember seeing them building Eagle in 1981, from the expressway and thinking it was SO tall! I also remember very long waits for it and Daredevil Dive being part of the line in addition to the tent area. They also had at least 1 or more concession stands attached to the line if I remember correctly! So you could get snacks to eat and not leave the line.

I have mixed feeling about an RMC makeover. A couple of years ago I really thought it was a great idea, but I am NOT in favor of shortening the ride at all! I think today I'm more for retracking and fixing it up so it can be an awesome wooden racer again! And, as many point out, we already have Goliath, so why make Eagle basically a racing version of Goliath? Eagle is very unique, as is Whizzer and that adds to the specialness of our park.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JackGlass on March 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I Remember seeing them building Eagle in 1981, from the expressway and thinking it was SO tall! I also remember very long waits for it and Daredevil Dive being part of the line in addition to the tent area. They also had at least 1 or more concession stands attached to the line if I remember correctly! So you could get snacks to eat and not leave the line.

I have mixed feeling about an RMC makeover. A couple of years ago I really thought it was a great idea, but I am NOT in favor of shortening the ride at all! I think today I'm more for retracking and fixing it up so it can be an awesome wooden racer again! And, as many point out, we already have Goliath, so why make Eagle basically a racing version of Goliath? Eagle is very unique, as is Whizzer and that adds to the specialness of our park.

Yes! For a while in the late 90's and early 2000's they had that virtual reality machine in the tent! They also had Eagles photo booth along with a hot dog stand stand!

If they did RMC Eagle, I would rather them wait until a new CEO takes control or Corporate changes it's strategy. If an RMC Eagle has to happen, I would much rather them spend $40 Million and give us the best roller coaster on Earth rather than shorten it and make it a cheap coversion like they did with Colossus.
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on March 23rd, 2019, 12:30 am
From what I have heard, Eagle will go back to racing again this year!
coasterfanatic

Postby JaminOut on March 23rd, 2019, 9:26 am
coasterfanatic wrote:From what I have heard, Eagle will go back to racing again this year!

From who?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby SaveTheWAVE on March 23rd, 2019, 11:12 am
AE could be converted into a serious (-1.5 g or “more”) airtime machine. Insane parabolic hills, Wave turns, and a “high-five” element after a re-profiled helix are examples of how the ride experience might be modified while still keeping it a racing coaster. So, it would be a fairly extreme re-profile, but a re-profile nonetheless.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby JackGlass on March 23rd, 2019, 12:18 pm
If they ever do RMC or have GCI reprofile it.... They'll probably act like it's being closed for good (like they did with Colossus) We'll see a repeat of 2002 (When they tried to tear down Whizzer) The GP will get angry as all hell, threaten to boycott the park, cancel their memberships, etc. ..... and Six Flags will step in to "Save the day" by announcing it is being converted and not demolished.
JackGlass

Postby anewman35 on March 23rd, 2019, 4:22 pm
JackGlass wrote:If they ever do RMC or have GCI reprofile it.... They'll probably act like it's being closed for good (like they did with Colossus) We'll see a repeat of 2002 (When they tried to tear down Whizzer) The GP will get angry as all hell, threaten to boycott the park, cancel their memberships, etc. ..... and Six Flags will step in to "Save the day" by announcing it is being converted and not demolished.

Yes, I'm sure they'll act like they're closing it forever, because that's how pretty much every park has done it. I'm a little more skeptical of the anger, just because the Eagle just isn't that popular anymore (look at the lack of lines) and because I don't think that dynamic has really happened at other parks that have retired simliar rides. Whizzer was (and is) very unique and filled a unique role in the park. I don't think you can really say that about the Eagle.
anewman35

Postby JaminOut on May 28th, 2019, 10:25 pm
Did anyone else notice that no progress has been made on painting the rest of American Eagle? They only painted from the station to the lift hill. Between that and the lack of American Eagle in the Maxx Force animation (don’t say anything about “rendering,” there are buildings that were purposely put there that are off in the distance and not owned by the park that wouldn’t have been added if that was of concern), is there any chance RMC Eagle could already be in legitimate planning stages?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby jmanporty7 on May 28th, 2019, 10:42 pm
I hope not, leave my precious boy RMC free!

If any refurbishment is to take place, just restore to it's glory days as best as possible. Just bring in GCI or Gravity Group to re-track it, replace any parts of the structure that needs replacement, and give it new trains.
jmanporty7

Postby staticshadows on May 28th, 2019, 10:50 pm
JaminOut wrote:is there any chance RMC Eagle could already be in legitimate planning stages?

Sure. I wouldn’t rule it out completely, this is the second season in a row that they haven’t completed the paint job and moved on to painting other rides. Imagine closing in the fall this year and reopening as a new ride in 2021.
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2019, 11:00 pm
JackGlass wrote:If they ever do RMC or have GCI reprofile it.... They'll probably act like it's being closed for good (like they did with Colossus) We'll see a repeat of 2002 (When they tried to tear down Whizzer) The GP will get angry as all hell, threaten to boycott the park, cancel their memberships, etc. ..... and Six Flags will step in to "Save the day" by announcing it is being converted and not demolished.

Ya don’t say.... lol wellll duh ;) they want the ridership & people to believe that it’s going away for ever which even for a conversion, is telling the truth.
gottastrata33

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 29th, 2019, 3:41 pm
rmceagle2021 wrote:Would anyone like for the park to rmc eagle?

No. Just tear down, and put some other type of roller coaster in it's spot plus a bunch of awesome flat rides that don't stink. (FYI in regards to flats, in my opinion Larson Loopers are TERRIBLE / the Cyborg ride at Great Adventure LOOKS terrible / the Cyborg ride at Six Flags New England looks wonderful / the Wonder Woman ride at Discovery Kingdom looks wonderful / Larson Flying Scooters = a waste of space / Skyscreamers, even though fun are a waste of space at Great America because of the rides the park already has that are too similar to a Skyscreamer). The American Eagle might be a classic for Great America people, but it's not special to a lot of people elsewhere. Almost NO ONE at the park says I can't wait to ride American Eagle FIRST THING!
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on May 29th, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sven18 on May 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm
I don't see RMC AE. The simple fact is everybody but enthusiasts would view RMC Eagle as the same as Goliath. People would be like ..Why are they building the same type of coaster. They difference between a topper track & I-box would be lost on them. Even some enthusiasts don't really know the difference between the two.
Last edited by Sven18 on May 29th, 2019, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven18

Postby willxxforce on May 29th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
rmceagle2021 wrote: Almost NO ONE at the park says I can't wait to ride American Eagle FIRST THING!

I've definitely said that before but I also LOVE the Eagle. My dream for the eagle would be to have the Red side stay standing, while RMC'ing the Blue side and give it an extreme dueling layout. Maybe the RMC blue side twists over and around the Red side helix, and it could even have a zero-G stall over one of the red side's airtime hills to give a similar "high five" moment like twisted colosus. The RMC blue would probably run faster so I think a few extra elements twisting around Red side's track could add track length and keep the pacing perfect for dueling.

That's probably never going to happen, but a man can dream.
Maxx Force will be my 50th
willxxforce

Postby cliffhanger on May 29th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote: No. Just tear down, and put some other type of roller coaster in it's spot plus a bunch of awesome flat rides that don't stink.

The problem I have with this is the fact that eagle is outside the train tracks/service road. If they made a new section of the park, they would have to build a massive footbridge next to metropolis or kidzopolis.
cliffhanger

Postby ledgeland on May 29th, 2019, 8:18 pm
jmanporty7 wrote:I hope not, leave my precious boy RMC free!

If any refurbishment is to take place, just restore to it's glory days as best as possible. Just bring in GCI or Gravity Group to re-track it, replace any parts of the structure that needs replacement, and give it new trains.

100% this.
ledgeland

Postby SycoCoasterDad on May 29th, 2019, 10:42 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote: No. Just tear down, and put some other type of roller coaster in it's spot plus a bunch of awesome flat rides that don't stink.

The problem I have with this is the fact that eagle is outside the train tracks/service road. If they made a new section of the park, they would have to build a massive footbridge next to metropolis or kidzopolis.

You wouldn’t have to have a massive footbridge. It would just connect to Southwest Territory already on the outside of tracks by JL and just have another at grade crossing, like the one near Demon, near Kidzopolis. It’s not like the trains are that frequent or high speed.
Still won’t happen. Eagle is going to be there in one form or another for a very long time still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SycoCoasterDad

Postby cliffhanger on May 30th, 2019, 9:12 am
SycoCoasterDad wrote:You wouldn’t have to have a massive footbridge...just have another at grade crossing, like the one near Demon...

The only thing is the service road. That is a main artery for backstage access. I doubt they would have a grade crossing there despite the safety of the train. If anything, that land could only be used for one coaster and queue line.

But I agree, I dont think they are giving up eagle any time soon.
cliffhanger

Postby gottastrata33 on May 30th, 2019, 9:46 am
Sven18 wrote:I don't see RMC AE. The simple fact is everybody but enthusiasts would view RMC Eagle as the same as Goliath. People would be like ..Why are they building the same type of coaster. They difference between a topper track & I-box would be lost on them. Even some enthusiasts don't really know the difference between the two.

This is 100% false. They feel NOTHING alike & look nothing alike. Have you been on an RMC conversion? They’re the smoothest roller coasters I’ve ever ridden. Also the GP could care less about topper vs Ibox & most enthusiasts know the difference.
gottastrata33

Postby SycoCoasterDad on May 30th, 2019, 9:58 am
cliffhanger wrote:
SycoCoasterDad wrote:You wouldn’t have to have a massive footbridge...just have another at grade crossing, like the one near Demon...

The only thing is the service road. That is a main artery for backstage access. I doubt they would have a grade crossing there despite the safety of the train. If anything, that land could only be used for one coaster and queue line.

But I agree, I dont think they are giving up eagle any time soon.

They could easily reroute the service road to go along the outside of any new area during construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SycoCoasterDad

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 30th, 2019, 11:33 am
cliffhanger wrote:

Why would a new section of the park need to be added?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 30th, 2019, 11:35 am
Sven18 wrote:I don't see RMC AE. The simple fact is everybody but enthusiasts would view RMC Eagle as the same as Goliath. People would be like ..Why are they building the same type of coaster. They difference between a topper track & I-box would be lost on them. Even some enthusiasts don't really know the difference between the two.

Sven, you're one of our finance experts on here: Wouldn't it be much cheaper to RMC Eagle VS. building a ground-up coaster of similar size in its location?
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on May 30th, 2019, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby cliffhanger on May 30th, 2019, 11:50 am
SycoCoasterDad wrote:They could easily reroute the service road to go along the outside of any new area during construction.

Good point. Nothing stopping them from redoing the whole area.
cliffhanger

Postby cliffhanger on May 30th, 2019, 11:51 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Why would a new section of the park need to be added?

It wouldn't, but it could be an option. Rather than a single new coaster. :wink:
cliffhanger

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum