Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Goku1910 wrote:I ended up not using my snap too much. I stuck more to my normal camera. The Sony Rx100 kills the phone even though it can't zoom that much. If you watched the video above then don't expect too much, the progress is the same. The only difference is you get to see it at a new angle.

Here are the shots I got:
https://imgur.com/gallery/ztv0Jch

Thanks for taking the time to snap those photos and upload them!! Great work!!

How do the air cylinders get refilled? Is there a possibility that the ride couldn't run because the cylinders are empty?

How close does the track get to Whizzer? I didn't realize it was very close! And I agree that the launch track does look much shorter than what I thought from watching the videos.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 16th, 2019, 3:19 pm
Yeah, the two rides get extremely close. Imagine being on Whizzer while Maxx was launching! Wow..
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 16th, 2019, 5:24 pm
Looking back at the pictures JiggidyNDG took from Sky Trek Tower, how do you think the park will build the queue? There isn't much room on the side with the transfer shed. I thought they could have the queue go under the final inversion, but I think they said the exit would go under that element.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Goku1910 on April 16th, 2019, 6:04 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:I ended up not using my snap too much. I stuck more to my normal camera. The Sony Rx100 kills the phone even though it can't zoom that much. If you watched the video above then don't expect too much, the progress is the same. The only difference is you get to see it at a new angle.

Here are the shots I got:
https://imgur.com/gallery/ztv0Jch

Thanks for taking the time to snap those photos and upload them!! Great work!!

How do the air cylinders get refilled? Is there a possibility that the ride couldn't run because the cylinders are empty?

How close does the track get to Whizzer? I didn't realize it was very close! And I agree that the launch track does look much shorter than what I thought from watching the videos.

-The air is compressed into tanks, so imagine those little compressed air duster cans you buy at best buy except it has a pump with valves to refill it over and over again. If the air cannot compress or if something fails there won't be enough pressure to drive the launch mechanism. I honestly don't know the name for this type of catch car for the train.

-It is definitely close as it looks, you'll see this weekend since it's opening day and the top of it also feels very close to Bull.

SFGAM_Hog wrote:Looking back at the pictures JiggidyNDG took from Sky Trek Tower, how do you think the park will build the queue? There isn't much room on the side with the transfer shed. I thought they could have the queue go under the final inversion, but I think they said the exit would go under that element.

They have yet to remove a giant mound of dirt. I'm assuming it's still there because some of it is planned on being used elsewhere. Once that's gone there will be plenty of room for a queue.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby RobSFGAm on April 16th, 2019, 7:38 pm
Most of the track on tower two is now in place (from what I could see from the road) @ 5pm tonight. Looks like one or two pieces are left to be added and connection the track to the first towers track. Not sure how far tower two is track near the ground since I could not see that far.

Sorry no picture as I was running late.
RobSFGAm

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 16th, 2019, 7:57 pm
Great news! Thanks for letting us know, Rob. I'm excited to see the rest of the final inversion go up because before diving into the brakes, that element between the two inversions has you just hanging on your side.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby ernstwhere on April 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Considering the in-depth discussion here re organic vs. inorganic growth, Cedar Fair's and Busch's elaborate marketing campaigns are designed to engage the public and attract new, unique visitors. If SF's strategy is to rely upon existing pass holders and members I wonder what their expectations are having scarcely promoted a record-breaking, marquee attraction.
ernstwhere

Postby Wisco Woody on April 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm
Maxx Force is really not worthy of the title "marquee attraction" due to its relatively low capacity for the front entrance/exit, and being a clearly much shorter length and smaller investment than Goliath or X-Flight, and the park management likely realizes that and is choosing not to promote it too heavily. Just think how most guests will feel on a Saturday in July or October that are going to wait 3+ hours for an at most 25 second ride and then be expected to be happy with the usage of that time.

To promote such an unrewarding and short experience to a point where it develops 4-5+ hour lines based on hype as a marquee attraction, especially being right next to guest services, is a recipe for disaster. They are expecting guests to believe that waiting over 3 hours for 25 seconds of ride time wasn't a waste of their time and money they paid to spend that time in the park just to waste up to half their visit standing in line and not getting any value.
Wisco Woody

Postby Goku1910 on April 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm
Length does not always equal experience. Goliath is also short and it's still on of my personal favorite attractions at the park.

Granted, the launch really needs to blow me away for it to take my #1 spot so I can see where you're coming from. My dream has always been for Six Flags to purchase the land adjacent to the park but we all know the chances of this ever happening are zero.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby UnclePennybags on April 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Goku1910 wrote:My dream has always been for Six Flags to purchase the land adjacent to the park but we all know the chances of this ever happening are zero.

Are you referring to the residential areas to the North or East? Can't go West because of I-94, and Washington street is to the South.
UnclePennybags

Postby Goku1910 on April 17th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Yes. There's also a bit of land to the where the Parking lot could be pushed but again....not happening. :lol:
Goku1910

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm
The ride has been topped off :) No pictures though.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby UnclePennybags on April 17th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Yes. There's also a bit of land to the where the Parking lot could be pushed but again....not happening. :lol:

It's too bad they sold the land on the other side of I-94. It would have been nice to have the employee lot there and transport the employees to the park, then use the employee lot like a Southwest Territory. If you push just the parking lot, the new area would be smaller than Southwest Territory. You're not getting a *huge* chunk of land, but it'd be enough for a couple of big coasters, or several smaller ones.
UnclePennybags

Postby JT2002 on April 17th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Drove by this afternoon, dog tongue looks pretty done to me. Sorry for the potato quality. :? Image
Last edited by JT2002 on April 17th, 2019, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 17th, 2019, 5:37 pm
Image isn't showing up for me on mobile. Is anyone else having trouble?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on April 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Yes. There's also a bit of land to the where the Parking lot could be pushed but again....not happening. :lol:

It's too bad they sold the land on the other side of I-94. It would have been nice to have the employee lot there and transport the employees to the park, then use the employee lot like a Southwest Territory. If you push just the parking lot, the new area would be smaller than Southwest Territory. You're not getting a *huge* chunk of land, but it'd be enough for a couple of big coasters, or several smaller ones.

The point, as always, is even if there was more space, there's basically no reason to think they'd spend the money to properly use it. Look at Great Adventure. I gather they have all the space in the world, and yet they still get small things or remove old rides for new things, just because that's Six Flags.
anewman35

Postby JT2002 on April 17th, 2019, 5:45 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Image isn't showing up for me on mobile. Is anyone else having trouble?

should work now
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm
JT2002 wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Image isn't showing up for me on mobile. Is anyone else having trouble?

should work now

Thanks! It looks really cool. It's amazing to see what was just a few supports become that towering element.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 17th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Nope the image doesn't work anymore.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 17th, 2019, 8:02 pm
Here's the picture. Hope it works.Image

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk
SFGAM_Hog

Postby B&MGuy35 on April 17th, 2019, 8:26 pm
I really don’t think some of you are grasping on how intense this launch will be. If any of you have been on Kingda Ka, it will be more intense then that or Top Thrill Dragster. 0-78 in 1.8 seconds is unbelievable. That’s the draw for the attraction. People are gonna wait for that no matter how long the line is. I honestly don’t think people will care about the short ride time.

Then again maybe I’m wrong...

Also X-Flight was already testing at this point and opened the weekend of May 12th I believe. So my guess is this will not be ready by Memorial Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby SaveTheWAVE on April 17th, 2019, 8:37 pm
I waited in a 2and 1/2 line for TTD *a 17 second ride* and did NOT regret my decision. Maxx Force is going to MORE intense that TTD, not just the launch, but the rest of the ride will blow people away in my opinion.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby UnclePennybags on April 17th, 2019, 8:44 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:If any of you have been on Kingda Ka, it will be more intense then that or Top Thrill Dragster. 0-78 in 1.8 seconds is unbelievable.

For me, V2 is pretty intense. I was thinking that my perception of this ride was going to be comparable. Maxx may accelerate quicker, but I don't know if I'll be able to perceive a difference.
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 17th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Watching the ride launch from the queue will be insane.. You'll be able to only see it only from the beginning before the bridge. And watching the train zooming through the course will be so intimidating from the queue! I wonder how fast it is going into the brakes.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby coasterlove on April 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm
UnclePennyBags, have you been on any of the hydraulic launches? They're noticeably more intense than V2 or similar launches. Then consider that this launch will be more powerful than the hydraulic launches. I was never on Hypersonic XLC but from the videos I've seen, it looked incredibly forceful.
coasterlove

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum