Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2019, 12:17 am
coasterlove wrote:...I could easily see construction lasting another month or so at the pace they have been going so far. Then the testing will last a while and I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't open until mid June or even closer to the 4th of July...

Unfortunately, I agree. We should start a pool to see how close someone can get to the actual opening date. Winner gets the satisfaction of knowing they won.

I say it'll open between June 15 and July 4. The exact date will be June 22.
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterlove on April 15th, 2019, 12:27 am
^That's a pretty good guess I'd have to say. I imagine they could start working on other stuff like queue lines and other things like signs, any theming as long as it doesn't interfere with construction or testing. I'd guess another four to five weeks of construction. Then start on testing for what, usually three to four weeks? So I think it could be ready right about mid June but will want to do press stuff and all that during the week of Sunday, June 16 to Thursday, June 20. So they might do something for passholders sooner like that Wednesday or Thursday.

So my guess is Monday or Tuesday (6/17 or 6/18) for the press and invited guests. Maybe Wednesday, 6/18 and Thursday, 6/19 for passholders and then finally Friday, 6/21 for everyone.
coasterlove

Postby gottastrata33 on April 15th, 2019, 12:31 am
Where is the new Beachcombers? & wasnt that a name of an eatery in HH already or am I confusing that with another HH? Haha

Also, what on the park map in the last 30yrs, has looked exactly like the ride? Cmon now ;)

I’m honestly surprised there is that much work left to go as well. Idk what it is with SF that they wait so long to start & finish construction. Fury went up quicker than this has. Haha
As for the entrance, I think we’re gonna see a repaint & slight mods made to the sign along with the name slapped on there much like Buccaneer did with DéjàVu (RIP). Didn’t SUF use much of Shockwaves plaza with some mods made to it as well? I’m pretty sure that ugly blue steel lattice was from Shockwave.
gottastrata33

Postby coasterlove on April 15th, 2019, 12:41 am
From what I can remember, much of the queue from Superman is reused from Shockwave. One major difference is that the queue for Shockwave had stairs to a higher level that passed over some sort of road which I think was used for the park employees in some manor. I also remember that the exit lane traveled alongside the queue line during that part separated by blue steel bars.
coasterlove

Postby JackGlass on April 15th, 2019, 12:55 am
coasterlove wrote:From what I can remember, much of the queue from Superman is reused from Shockwave. One major difference is that the queue for Shockwave had stairs to a higher level that passed over some sort of road which I think was used for the park employees in some manor. I also remember that the exit lane traveled alongside the queue line during that part separated by blue steel bars.

Yes! Shockwave had a bridge that is no longer there. There was a gate on the bridge, that was usually left open and me and my friends would use that thing all the time to get right back in line when the ride op wouldn't let us marathon, lol

Even though most people hated it, I still miss Shockwave like crazy.
JackGlass

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 7:31 am
ChicagoCoasters wrote:Hurricane Harbor is getting a new restaurant called Beachcombers Chicken and will serve buffalo chicken sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwiches, chicken tenders, and more. Also in the passholder newsletter from about a week ago, it says Maxx Force is debuting in Hometown Square and not Carousel Plaza. I am the only one who thinks Maxx Force looks terrible on the map. Based off of Goku's picture it doesn't look very good. Especially the double inversion.

From my understanding that new restaurant is just a stand like Pink Flamingo. I want a nice place like Strutter's. And I just decided not to say anything about MF on the map lol. It looks mint-white colored XD but we'll see.

I think the snow and wind has thrown us off this past week. They couldn't do much crane lifting because of the wind so I'm not sure when they will top the ride off. It seems like everyone at the park is being told they have to say they are aiming for an "early summer" opening. That could mean anything really. I don't have a problem when a ride is going to open because I just know I'm going to get to ride it eventually, right?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Chirojon on April 15th, 2019, 1:56 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
coasterlove wrote:...I could easily see construction lasting another month or so at the pace they have been going so far. Then the testing will last a while and I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't open until mid June or even closer to the 4th of July...

Unfortunately, I agree. We should start a pool to see how close someone can get to the actual opening date. Winner gets the satisfaction of knowing they won.

I'll take June 28th at high noon, not a minute sooner or later. :D
Chirojon

Postby gottastrata33 on April 15th, 2019, 2:01 pm
It’s gonna open for Memorial Day weekend most likely which as always, is the kick off to summer at the end of May.
gottastrata33

Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2019, 2:17 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:It’s gonna open for Memorial Day weekend most likely which as always, is the kick off to summer at the end of May.

Wow! I never pegged you as the uber optimist.
UnclePennybags

Postby jmanporty7 on April 15th, 2019, 3:14 pm
June 5th - Press day plus invited guests (ACE, TPR, etc.)

June 6th - Press make-up day (in case of rain)...if not, then Six Flags members only

June 7th - Members and pass holders preview

June 8th - Maxx Force public opening

Edit: These are my predictions in case this confuses anybody...I'll like for it to open memorial day weekend but part of me doubt that will happen, but there's still a chance.
jmanporty7

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm
I hope they got more track up on the double inversion today. Probably not.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 4:10 pm
At least we're half way complete with track and structure work. Look at West Coast Racers.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RobSFGAm on April 15th, 2019, 7:38 pm
Maxx Force Dog Tongue topped off (4/15/19):

Are there trims going to be at the top of the Dog Tongue (something else)?
Last edited by RobSFGAm on April 15th, 2019, 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby SaveTheWAVE on April 15th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Thanks for the great pic!! They are drive tires. My guess is that they exist in case of slower-than-expected velocity.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Chirojon wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
coasterlove wrote:...I wouldn't be surprised if this [ride] didn't open until mid June or even closer to the 4th of July...

I'll take June 28th at high noon, not a minute sooner or later. :D

:D
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 8:12 pm
Awesome!! I wonder how much it slows down up there.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 8:20 pm
^^ I don't think that late in June..I say the first 2 weeks of June at most.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby staticshadows on April 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Here is a video that shows what Goliath looked like around the same time of year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdK-kLQvuh8&feature=youtu.be

Looking back at the Goliath topic, media day was on June 17th and it opened to the public on June 18th or 19th. I think Maxx Force will open around the same time.
staticshadows

Postby SaveTheWAVE on April 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Awesome!! I wonder how much it slows down up there.

It loses a bit of speed up there on a clean launch. That’s why the transition between inversions is short-to maintain pacing. In the case of a launch without enough “oomph” but just enough inertia to avoid a rollback, the drive tires will ensure the train completes the course.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2019, 8:42 pm
staticshadows wrote:Looking back at the Goliath topic, media day was on June 17th and it opened to the public on June 18th or 19th. I think Maxx Force will open around the same time.

Cool. Thanks for showing. I never got around to seeing one of the Goliath construction videos.
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 8:45 pm
staticshadows wrote:Here is a video that shows what Goliath looked like around the same time of year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdK-kLQvuh8&feature=youtu.be

I predict the double inversion will be completed with all track by opening day. Too bad they didn't do Maxx Force insiders. We could know how far they were with installing the launch and the air cylinders.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby UnclePennybags on April 15th, 2019, 9:08 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
staticshadows wrote:...Too bad they didn't do Maxx Force insiders. We could know how far they were with installing the launch and the air cylinders.

I agree. I'd think they'd generate a lot of buzz if they provided construction updates on a regular basis, complete with pictures and videos. Ideally, they'd just put up a couple of cameras so the public could see the progress.

We're all really excited to see the finished product. Unfortunately, I know that Christmas is coming, but no one will tell me the approximate date that I'll get to unwrap my present.
UnclePennybags

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 15th, 2019, 9:12 pm
And at construction tours they made the poor new communications manager (do not remember her name) answer questions about the ride basically only a few weeks into working at the park. They should have gotten someone else to answer questions who knew everything about the ride. All they said was "we're on schedule" and "planning for an early summer opening" ughh.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on April 15th, 2019, 9:34 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:And at construction tours they made the poor new communications manager (do not remember her name) answer questions about the ride basically only a few weeks into working at the park. They should have gotten someone else to answer questions who knew everything about the ride. All they said was "we're on schedule" and "planning for an early summer opening" ughh.

To be fair, would they ever say anything different, no matter who was running it? They have no real upside to announcing a date early - make it, maybe people were not coming because they were waiting for it. Miss it, people complain about it. Best to wait until they're pretty sure.

And as for generating buzz, sure, it would have been nice to have more stuff out there, but the people would care would just be the same people who already care. Unless they were really going to do some all out marketing thing, I don't think it would make much of a dent.
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on April 16th, 2019, 4:30 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:It’s gonna open for Memorial Day weekend most likely which as always, is the kick off to summer at the end of May.

Wow! I never pegged you as the uber optimist.

What?! Lol

Also the drive tires are in case of a stall I believe. In an interview with the designer, he talks about the train stalling at its highest point & not wanting that to happen in an inversion. Idk let’s watch it I’m a little tipsy atm.
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum