Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterNick3157 on February 3rd, 2019, 9:35 pm
Katy and Brandon are not there anymore they always put up webcams
CoasterNick3157

Postby SFGAM_Hog on February 10th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Here is more about SFDK's Vertical Velocity. Looks like it'll be for sure rethemed.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_fla ... ingdom.htm
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JackGlass on February 10th, 2019, 11:05 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Here is more about SFDK's Vertical Velocity. Looks like it'll be for sure rethemed.

I wonder if they'll throw a lighting package on it! After seeing the light package on Hang Time at Knotts Berry Farm, I was like "Damn, that would look amazing on Vertical Velocity" lol
JackGlass

Postby sfgamnut17 on February 11th, 2019, 8:23 am
Take it from Coaster Studios name it The Flash Back in a Flash

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
GREAT AMERICA, MAYBE A GREAT DAY IS JUST WHAT YOU NEED THIS YEAR
sfgamnut17

Postby Sven18 on February 11th, 2019, 9:04 am
JackGlass wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Here is more about SFDK's Vertical Velocity. Looks like it'll be for sure rethemed.

I wonder if they'll throw a lighting package on it! After seeing the light package on Hang Time at Knotts Berry Farm, I was like "Damn, that would look amazing on Vertical Velocity" lol

A lights package is essentially burning money for nothing, SFDK closes at 8 pm even during the summer. The park closes before light pkg even would take effect.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on February 11th, 2019, 9:36 am
Sven18 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:

A lights package is essentially burning money for nothing, SFDK closes at 8 pm even during the summer. The park closes before light pkg even would take effect.

ah ok, I didn't know they closed that early!
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on February 11th, 2019, 1:11 pm
SFDK was always like that. But, SF is cutting back hours at some other parks. I don't know if many noticed but SFGAm regular close during the heart of the season July & thru 2nd week of August is now 9pm Su-Th and not 10pm. It's 10pm Sa/Su. Other parks in SF chain are doing similar things. This is likely to manage some labor costs over the full year with the expanded season w/ Holiday in the park. Save 1 hr for like 45 days during the main season, pays for like 8 or 10 days of HITP regarding labor costs
Sven18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on February 11th, 2019, 7:07 pm
^ This annoys me so much how Six Flags is so cheap to not even put one more hour to a regular day in the summer. I miss those old 10 p.m days.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on February 12th, 2019, 10:48 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:^ This annoys me so much how Six Flags is so cheap to not even put one more hour to a regular day in the summer. I miss those old 10 p.m days.

All parks in all chains are trying to manage labor costs. Parks are having to pay to attract & keep employees in all states b/c of the labor market the last few years. Also, some parks are being forced to paymore by state minimum wage law increases. It's not just SF or SFGAm cutting hours. Cedar Point is reducing their summer nights when they used to be open till midnight all July. Now they are just doing midnight on weekends and making weekdays 10pm.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on February 12th, 2019, 11:23 am
It looks like Illinois will soon join California and New York as a $15 an hour minimum wage State. I personally don't have any opiniion on the higher minimum wage, if it's a good or bad thing. But John Duffy did mention in a 2017 confrence call, that Six Flags plans to absorb the higher wages instead of passing the costs onto guests.

So these reduced hours do make sense, especially in States where the minimum wage is going up,
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on February 12th, 2019, 2:37 pm
JackGlass wrote:It looks like Illinois will soon join California and New York as a $15 an hour minimum wage State. I personally don't have any opiniion on the higher minimum wage, if it's a good or bad thing. But John Duffy did mention in a 2017 confrence call, that Six Flags plans to absorb the higher wages instead of passing the costs onto guests.

So these reduced hours do make sense, especially in States where the minimum wage is going up,

Duffy is gone so what he said might not hold. Also, since then their projections on 750M Modified EBIDTA goal are not going to be met barring a miracle. Q4 and full year conf call thursday 2/14
Sven18

Postby Eagle04 on February 13th, 2019, 9:51 am
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:^ This annoys me so much how Six Flags is so cheap to not even put one more hour to a regular day in the summer. I miss those old 10 p.m days.

My biggest complaint is how late the openings are. 10:30 openings create such a morning log jam at every pinch point: parking, security, & turnstiles.I really wish they would change up how they manage the crowds in the morning(let people in sooner even if they aren't open yet) or open earlier like they used to. The later openings and waiting to open the turnstiles are a double negative before you ever get into the park.

Magic Kingdom changed things up a few years back, moving the opening show from the train station to the castle. This allowed Main Street to be open earlier for morning snacks, and relieve crowd congestion back at the turnstiles. Oh yeah, that's also all prior to the 9am (90 min earlier than sfgam) opening.
Eagle04

Postby Sven18 on February 13th, 2019, 11:53 am
JackGlass wrote:It looks like Illinois will soon join California and New York as a $15 an hour minimum wage State. I personally don't have any opiniion on the higher minimum wage, if it's a good or bad thing. But John Duffy did mention in a 2017 confrence call, that Six Flags plans to absorb the higher wages instead of passing the costs onto guests.

Cedar Fair just had their Q4/Full Year conf call. They sited the 30M increase in operating costs, "largely attributable to increased labor costs due to increases in market and minimum wages..."

It will be interesting to see if SF has a similar take on their call thursday.
Sven18

Postby UnclePennybags on February 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm
2019 Park Calendar is out:

Opening Weekend: Apr 19, 20, 21
Open Daily: May 21 to Aug 25

Water Park Opens: May 25
Water Park Open Daily: Jun 8 to Aug 18
Water Park Closes: Sep 2

There are no park hours listed beyond Labor Day.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on February 22nd, 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby Ilovthevu' on February 17th, 2019, 6:03 pm
This is for Six Flags Over Texas, but it is important for Great America, possibly:

One word: "PICTURES" are back at Over Texas!

"Free Wi-Fi will be available throughout the entire park in 2019. This will help to assist with online food ordering through the Six Flags app. The turnstiles at the front gates will also be removed and replaced with tablets. To gain entry into the park you will scan your season pass/membership/tickets on the tablet, and your picture will be available to help reduce illegal entry. Photos will also be attached to your dining pass, so that way when you order food your picture will come up ensuring it is YOUR pass."
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on February 19th, 2019, 8:27 am
^ Finally, the finger scanning didn't work out since it would take a long time for the guests to get in. Hopefully this speeds up the process of getting in the park.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby rmceagle2021 on February 19th, 2019, 8:32 am
yes, please get rid of the finger scanner they are such a slow prosses and not efficent. I would love for them to go back to the photo system. It is always so much faster when they use the handscanners and not the finger print.
rmceagle2021

Postby great america fan on February 19th, 2019, 2:34 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:2019 Park Calendar is out:

Opening Weekend: Apr 19, 20, 21
Open Daily: May 15 to Aug 25

Water Park Opens: May 25
Water Park Open Daily: Jun 8 to Aug 18
Water Park Closes: Sep 2

There are no park hours listed beyond Labor Day.

Looks like opening day is back to being the 3rd week in April. I wonder if there do a preview day this year again?
great america fan

Postby Coaster Justin on February 19th, 2019, 3:16 pm
They never got rid of the picture. It just became something you had to ask to get.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby sfgamnut17 on February 19th, 2019, 5:10 pm
This has nothing to do with this but does any one have pictures of the old Spinnaker ride? I am working on a youtube video with SFGAm's history. Great America Parks didn't have a picture of it and google images arent the best with finding old ride pictures for a youtube video.

sfgamnut17

Postby sfgamnut17 on February 19th, 2019, 5:20 pm
Here are the details for the rideImage

sfgamnut17

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on February 19th, 2019, 7:03 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby ilrider on February 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm
^Love how the employee is standing inside the fence on The Lobster. Would not get away with that under current safety standards. Was it always called The Lobster, even with those patriotic colors?
ilrider

Postby sfgamnut17 on February 19th, 2019, 7:12 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:Here is a picture of it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-ligh ... 3635377915
Thank You Very Much!

sfgamnut17

Postby staticshadows on March 1st, 2019, 3:58 pm
The course map is up for the DC Wonder Woman Run.
https://dcwonderwomanrun.com/chicago
staticshadows

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum