Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Best Parks in US for Dark Rides

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby JimPanky on December 28th, 2018, 10:36 am
What are the best parks in the US for Dark Rides?
Last edited by JimPanky on January 10th, 2019, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 31st, 2018, 1:35 pm
I really liked Blazing Fury at Dollywood, Runaway Mountain at Six Flags Over Texas, and Space Mountain at Disneyworld.

And of course our very own Dark Knight!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on December 31st, 2018, 11:59 pm
I sort of wish you would classify dark ride. Is it classified as a very slow moving ride in which the vehicle doesn't go very fast. Does a boat count as a dark ride? Does it have to have animatronic scenes?

I could say that Splash Mountain is a dark ride because it tells a story even though it's also a boat ride, and to me it's part roller coaster (because of one part of it).

My answer for most dark rides would be the Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom is in the dark, but it doesn't really have a lot of scenes to tell you a story. So, I would say it's a roller coaster in the dark, but not really a dark ride. Magic Kingdom - Small World / Winnie the Pooh / Peter Pan / Snow White Dwarf Coaster (has dark ride scenes) / Buzz Lightyear / Pirates / Little Mermaid / Haunted Mansion / Splash Mountain. Even the people mover has scenes though it's not a complete story.

My favorite dark ride is Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. 2nd is Indiana Jones that is at Disneyland. These are essentially the same track / vehicles, but they are different scenes at different parks. A great ride in the dark is the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios, but is that really a "dark ride". I guess so, because it has scenes.

I guess my classification of a dark ride is that it has to be indoors, and it has to have a lot scenes to sometimes tell a story. It doesn't necessary have to go really slow though because I count Dinosaur as a dark ride, and there are parts when that ride does not go slow.

My favorite outside of Disney dark ride would be the Sally rides, Scooby-Doo ride they got rid of at Six Flags St. Louis.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby JimPanky on January 1st, 2019, 10:53 am
Dark coasters are not dark rides.
Space Mountain and Dark Knight are enclosed roller coasters not dark rides.

Splash Mountain is classified as both a dark ride and flume.

Dark rides are more story driven like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Monster Mansion, Justice League, Sally Dark Rides, etc. They usually include animatronics. Roller coasters even if heavily themed are more sensory driven. They are about the thrill of speed, acceleration, drops, g-force, etc. Alot of dark rides are slower and without story elements would be boring. Boats are popular but it can be any ride vehicle really.
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm
JimPanky wrote:Dark coasters are not dark rides.
Space Mountain and Dark Knight are enclosed roller coasters not dark rides.

Splash Mountain is classified as both a dark ride and flume.

Dark rides are more story driven like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Monster Mansion, Justice League, Sally Dark Rides, etc. They usually include animatronics. Roller coasters even if heavily themed are more sensory driven. They are about the thrill of speed, acceleration, drops, g-force, etc. Alot of dark rides are slower and without story elements would be boring. Boats are popular but it can be any ride vehicle really.

Given this very strict definition, my fave dark ride is Blazing Fury at Dollywood. Yes it IS a coaster! But it has great scenery and tells a story, plus 2 surprise drops, including a splashdown!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JimPanky on January 7th, 2019, 11:17 pm
Dark ride really should be basic terminology for theme park enthusiasts.

This thread has been a failure.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 9th, 2019, 1:40 pm
^ Perhaps the question was a bit vague??

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JimPanky on January 9th, 2019, 6:11 pm
Nope, any theme park enthusiast should know the term dark ride. It's very common in the industry.

JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 10th, 2019, 11:38 am
rcdb.com lists Blazing Fury as being in categories Dark Ride, and Enclosed.

So are you saying that's wrong?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JimPanky on January 10th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Blazing Fury yes.
Space Mountain and Dark Knight are definitely not dark rides.

JimPanky

Return to General Coaster Talk