Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby _FuryBull_330_ on November 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm
They were testing the lights yesterday! Sadly I couldn't take any pictures since my family was in a hurry but here is a video from Marcus Leshock that he posted on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/marcusleshock/status/1063612411972849664
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SaveTheWAVE on November 21st, 2018, 6:37 pm
^ Thanks for posting! Those blue lights on Drop are stunning. When you saw the lights testing, did you notice any intricate patterns/scenes or were they solid colors?
SaveTheWAVE

Postby cliffhanger on November 22nd, 2018, 1:05 pm
SaveTheWAVE wrote:^...did you notice any intricate patterns/scenes or were they solid colors?

Last night they turned on the colored lights on GG. I could also see trees lit up in the park from Washington street!
cliffhanger

Postby SaveTheWAVE on November 22nd, 2018, 11:51 pm
Thanks for the update. I was going to go to HITP tomorrow, but my car broke down today and is out of commission. I’m hoping for lots of trip reports and pics from all who attend! Thanks in advance.
SaveTheWAVE

Postby B&MGuy35 on November 23rd, 2018, 12:27 am
Did anyone sign up for the commercial shoot?

And I’m really hoping we have the same soup offerings as SFOT...Roasted Fire Vegetable, Chicken Tortilla, Broccoli Cheese Chicken Noodle & Chili.
Hopefully same for dinning plan as well. All included and $3 upcharge for bread bowl.

Going Sunday and can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on November 23rd, 2018, 3:42 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:Did anyone sign up for the commercial shoot?

Yes I just got the email for it. Looking forward to it since I won’t get to make it out to the park this weekend. Went to the igNite one so this one should be great, hopefully the weather isn’t too bad.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Tardis1972 on November 24th, 2018, 12:46 am
HITP Trip Report

Today was my first ever HITP visit and it was great. The park did a very good job decorating the park. I was able to on every coaster and thrill ride that was open twice. Overall the park wasn’t too busy even though the weather was nice. I can’t wait to get to the park in December after today.
Side note: As much as I enjoyed Peppermint Swir(Teacups)l I still think Terror Twister II is the best version.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterNick3157 on November 24th, 2018, 2:29 am
There was only 3 different mixes
CoasterNick3157

Postby RBullFan97 on November 24th, 2018, 8:07 am
I was really impressed with the Holiday In the Park from when I went yesterday. The lights were especially nice in Hometown Square and the area over by Goliath. I was also very surprised by how short the lines were. I was able to marathon V2 and the longest wait of the day was probably Superman at about 20 minutes. I did notice a lot more families than usual so they probably weren't coming for the big coasters.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby JT2002 on November 24th, 2018, 4:58 pm
RBullFan97 wrote:I was really impressed with the Holiday In the Park from when I went yesterday. The lights were especially nice in Hometown Square and the area over by Goliath. I was also very surprised by how short the lines were. I was able to marathon V2 and the longest wait of the day was probably Superman at about 20 minutes. I did notice a lot more families than usual so they probably weren't coming for the big coasters.

One reason why this fest is a great addition is that it will attract a lot more families than FF and even the regular season does.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on November 24th, 2018, 5:12 pm
I'm so happy I went Friday, 51 degrees that's pretty good. But so far here is my review.

Front Entrance- Right away you are greeted with yellow lights on the trees with a Christmas tree in the entrance and a nice Holiday In The Park sign. It's a great place to take some photos with your family.

Carousel Plaza (Elegance)- This is a really nice section of the the park with some classic yellow lights playing classical musical. The light show was cool and love how they also put lights on the fountain. The only down side was that the show was too short but it's a good thing they play it every 15 min.

Orleans Place (Jingle Bell Jazz and Snowman City)- You are greeted right away with some green, purple lights and two nutcrackers. There is a couple of lights while you walk down the section. Nothing too big and the same with Snowman City except with that giant snowman in front of TDK.

Mardi Gras (Merry Mardi Gras) - This is a very well lit up area of the park with a bunch of purple, green, yellow lights. I'm disappointed however that MGH wasn't running and it would have been another great light opportunity.

Yankee Harbor (?)- Yeah there wasn't really much here, just a few changed light bulbs :cry: .

Yukon Territory (Home For The Holidays)- This was very well lit up with a bunch of yellow lights and a couple trees and reindeer. I'm just sad that they didn't put every single holiday and their traditions (exc. Christmas) in there.

County Fair (North Pole and Merry Market Place)- The North Pole section was well lit up and there was a giant Santa there which I love. This was a great area but of course some teenagers had to ruin it by trying to go on Goliath :roll: . Merry Market Place was another thing though. I mean I don't hate it but I also don't love it, I just wish they would put more effort into it.

Metropolis Plaza (Snowflake Lane). Ok just a couple dotted lights and this impressive shooting star. Nothing much.

Hometown Square (Holiday Square) this area was very well lit up with tons of lights, with the centerpiece being a massive Christmas Tree in the middle of it all. I really love all the detail they put into the tree as well. Definitely a runner up for my favorite section of the park.

Southwest Territory (Kalightoscope)- My favorite area of the park. This area is so well lit up that it hurts my eyes just seeing it all. I love the light show that Chubasco and Giant Drop put up and is my favorite light show in any Christmas events I have ever been to. Peppermint Swirl by far was a sweet ride and I barely like this more than TT2. The tamales at JBs were good (but not as good as the one in Mexico). Well done Six Flags this whole area makes me just want to come back.

Food- The food in general was ok. The tamales were great (see above) and the smores were decent. But other than that I didn't try anything else.

Atmosphere- The feeling of the park was so good. All the employees were friendly to me and my family and the characters did a great job for their roles. I can't believe I'm saying this but there was no difficulties with anything.

Shows- The light shows were spectacular and Wonderland At The Grand was a great show and is up there (in my opinion) with LAFF.

Overall- My score for this event is a 9/10. This Holiday In The Park event is great and is so far my favorite HITP event of all the Six Flags parks. This at the top of my list 3rd only trailing behind Dollywood and SDC. Great job Six Flags and I hope to come again for the following years knowing it can only get better and better.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby SaveTheWAVE on November 24th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Thanks for the review!! L. Michelle posted a video on YouTube of Kalightescope. It looks amazing!
SaveTheWAVE

Postby anewman35 on November 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Went yesterday, and agree it was pretty great. A few minor quibbles:

- as somebody else said, maybe a little more for Non-Christmas stuff? I get that "holiday" basically means Christmas, but, I dunno, doesn't seem like it would hurt to have a menorah or dreidel or whatever

- was surprised that they didn't light IP Skytrek Tower at all, or use the Mardi Gras Hangover lights. I know the rides aren't open, but that doesn't mean the lights couldn't be used...
anewman35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on November 24th, 2018, 8:10 pm
I went today and really liked it!! The lights everywhere were so cool especially Kalightoscope! Peppermint Swirl was pretty fun. The fake snow was neat. I saw the Wonderland on Grand show too. It was pretty good and Id see it again. We got the hot chocolate refill bottle. The hot chocolate was average, nothing too special. Overall, I think Holiday In The Park is awesome! Much better than Fright Fest (at least the past few Fright Fests we've had)
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 25th, 2018, 12:56 pm
I wonder if the Buccaneer Battle area is blocked because if we have 8 inches of snow, you have to think if a plow comes in that park, where are you going to put all that snow? So, they block off a section to put that snow? That's not good otherwise if they have no plans as to where the "mountain(s)" of snow should go. After you plow, you have to "store" the snow somewhere.

Park is CLOSED today - Sunday (November 25th) according to website. Don't go!
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby WaltDatedWorld on November 25th, 2018, 5:27 pm
This may be a silly question but I'm guessing there is a fee for the s'mores and that it is not complementary?
Visit Walt Dated World
www.waltdatedworld.com
WaltDatedWorld

Postby coasterkidd100 on November 25th, 2018, 5:34 pm
According to the park's website you can buy your s'mores kits near the fire pits through out the park. I tried to find a price for it but so far I have not come across that information.
coasterkidd100

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 25th, 2018, 6:12 pm
WaltDatedWorld wrote:This may be a silly question but I'm guessing there is a fee for the s'mores and that it is not complementary?

Someone on the facebook group posted a picture, and it's $4 for 1 kit.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on November 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I wonder if the Buccaneer Battle area is blocked because if we have 8 inches of snow, you have to think if a plow comes in that park, where are you going to put all that snow?

BB is blocked off, along with the area between The Lobster and Demon. There are also fences around Daredevil Dive, Kidzopolis and part of SWT.
cliffhanger

Postby anewman35 on November 25th, 2018, 10:48 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
WaltDatedWorld wrote:This may be a silly question but I'm guessing there is a fee for the s'mores and that it is not complementary?

Someone on the facebook group posted a picture, and it's $4 for 1 kit.

$4 for 1, $7 for 2, $10 for 4. I think it comes free with some levels of memberships.
anewman35

Postby n9yty on November 25th, 2018, 10:55 pm
I think BB is blocked off to forever you to go through SW to see the massive Kalightoscope or whatever. It is impressive.

Overall, love HITP. A few notes, having gone the last two years to St Louis.... Don't take this as hate, it is a great event, will be going back several more times. :)

There are a few areas of the park that are just DARK. Even just having floods, with our without designs, would improve it.

Need more merch, St Louis had a ton of themed stuff, very little here, and nothing HITP related that I could find that actually said Great America on it. This opening weekend had everything for all membership levels at 50% off, it was speculated maybe they held stuff back until next weekend. Dunno about that. But being on more merch, we want to buy some. :)

St Louis s'mores pits were much nicer... These in the cages here were hard to work around and way too much smoke due to smaller logs and smaller piles that didn't have the coal base and heat to burn properly. :( At least in my opinion.

To the comment above, St Louis also had a few more little touches with shot outs to Kwaanza and Hannukah, sorry if I got the spellings wrong. Also more full color decorated trees around the park and things. Even their first year. I get that money is tight, heard they had to borrow some FF money, so not complaining, what they did they did well here.

The s'mores are $4ea but you get four for $10, and membership discounts apply on top of that so it isn't bad if you have one.

I heard a rumour they ran out of hot chocolate cups and that the vendor couldn't supply any more. I find that unlikely, they have to get something, can't run out on the first weekend. LoL

The Looney Toons show is great for kids especially. Wonderland at the Grand is great, as was Holiday Hoedown over at Snowshoe.

All in all, far more positive than negatives, a fabulous holiday event, we all enjoyed ourselves.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
n9yty

Postby Muck Finnesota on November 25th, 2018, 11:38 pm
Anyone go today? How was the coaster situation? Raging Bull or Batman in a blizzard is something that I very much want to experience.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Bobthebuilder645 on November 25th, 2018, 11:59 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:Anyone go today? How was the coaster situation? Raging Bull or Batman in a blizzard is something that I very much want to experience.

Park was closed today due to impending blizzard
Bobthebuilder645

Postby Muck Finnesota on November 26th, 2018, 2:24 am
Ah, damn, that's very disappointing to hear. I was hoping GAm would have drank from GAdv's crazy cup. I guess next weekend's forecast is looking ok a week out- I might head out for some last rides then, if it holds up. I had plans for 12/22...
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 27th, 2018, 1:05 pm
Did anyone see a game to play that is Christmas themed in which you pick a present out of many presents that is all wrapped up (a bunch of presents on the table), and everyone win's a prize whether it be a small, medium or large prize? I know they have it at St Louis, and I would like to know if they have it over here.
Ilovthevu'

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum