Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 24th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Jodon wrote:Those of you that have been at the park more than I this season: Has Whizzer been opening with the park, or has the ride opening been delayed recently? I'm taking my niece and nephew to the park in a few weeks, and want to get on Whizzer before the queue gets too crazy.

It's the new last priority ride which is never a good sign for that ride. Demon should be a last priority roller coaster ride instead (Have a sign on the ride, opens at 11am - The 6 guests that want to ride it - Demon at 11am, will be waiting to ride it. The Whizzer is more important with 30+ guests waiting.), and than 2nd maybe American Eagle. This is never good. It's literally the FIRST coaster you encounter on the right side of the park. I remember not too lately (a garbage idea), they had it open 30 minutes after the park opens. Why would the FIRST roller coaster you encounter open 30 minutes after at 11 am? It just sort of means to me, they want to get rid of it.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby benneluke on August 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:...they had [whizzer] open 30 minutes after the park opens. Why would the FIRST roller coaster you encounter open 30 minutes after at 11 am? It just sort of means to me, they want to get rid of it.

It's probably a staffing issue. Im sure they would rather have ride ops and managers opening big rides like RB, Goliath, and X-Flight than a family coaster.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm
If 2002 taught us anything it’s that Whizzer isn’t going anywhere and it doesn’t cost much to maintain it.

And I say 2002 because it was announced then it was being removed for the 2003’s addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 5:36 pm
B&MGuy35 wrote:If 2002 taught us anything it’s that Whizzer isn’t going anywhere and it doesn’t cost much to maintain it.

And I say 2002 because it was announced then it was being removed for the 2003’s addition.

2002 was a long time ago. I'm not saying I expect the Whizzer to go anywhere anytime soon, but at some point their may be structural or maintenance stuff that makes it no longer worth it to the park to keep it.
anewman35

Postby Sven18 on August 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm
2019 Flash Sale prices are out:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... h-sale-zap

Memberships:
Not going on sale, same price as previously listed. But, if you buy them during the sale you get 3 months free at the end of the membership. So, I interpret that as you start paying now(last day of Auguest or 1st couple of days of September during flash sale. You pay 12 months till next Sept 1st, then you get 3 months free Sept, Oct, Nov 2018, So then your new cycle of renewal id December. By doing this SF will get all the flash sale converts on December renewal cycle. I bet they probably alter the deal so people who buy october get one leas month free and thus SF gets many of memberships on the same cycle. Also, the fact is people who are pas holders and converting aren't really getting anything free b/cyou already paid for 2018 last 3 months with the 2018 pass while they are charging you for those months in your new membership. This is a way of not double charging you essentially, but taks until the end of 2019 to come true

Passes:
Regular upgrade to Gold Pass, increase $3 from last year to $68

Dining passes:
Free upgrade of deluxe to premium, increases $2 from last year to $75, free all season drink bottle
Sven18

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 8:43 pm
Sven18 wrote:2019 Flash Sale prices are out:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... h-sale-zap

Memberships:
Not going on sale, same price as previously listed. But, if you buy them during the sale you get 3 months free at the end of the membership. So, I interpret that as you start paying now(last day of Auguest or 1st couple of days of September during flash sale. You pay 12 months till next Sept 1st, then you get 3 months free Sept, Oct, Nov 2018, So then your new cycle of renewal id December. By doing this SF will get all the flash sale converts on December renewal cycle. I bet they probably alter the deal so people who buy october get one leas month free and thus SF gets many of memberships on the same cycle. Also, the fact is people who are pas holders and converting aren't really getting anything free b/cyou already paid for 2018 last 3 months with the 2018 pass while they are charging you for those months in your new membership. This is a way of not double charging you essentially, but taks until the end of 2019 to come true

Passes:
Regular upgrade to Gold Pass, increase $3 from last year to $68

Dining passes:
Free upgrade of deluxe to premium, increases $2 from last year to $75, free all season drink bottle

Fairly sure this site isn't "done" yet - still some placeholder XXs instead of actual numbers. So this may just be an artifact from some other park and mean nothing. But I found this a little interesting:

"Free upgrade to a 2-Park Combo Pass. Free Hurricane Harbor in 2019!"

The "Combo Pass" wording is usually used for parks with a standalone HH - ours has never had that concept because all passes automatically included HH. Hmm...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on August 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Oh, and that "three months free" deal is really not very good...

"Membership 3 Free Months Promotion Details: Sign up for a Membership through this promotion and we’ll add three free additional months of Membership to your account immediately following your last paid month. To receive your free additional months, you must be up-to-date on your membership payments and you must request your cancellation through our regular cancellation process. Add-ons such as Member Dining and Member THE FLASH Pass are not included in this special offer and will not be automatically extended into the free period. Instead of three free months, Members who remain in the program 48 months will receive an in-park credit equivalent to three months of their regular monthly Membership fees (does not include add-ons such as Member Dining or Member THE FLASH Pass)

So you only get the three months free after you cancel (or after four years they'll give you park credit for it). I guess, maybe, you could figure out a way to cancel the membership at the exact point where you would want the three months, then restart it afterwards in a way that makes it worthwhile, but seems needlessly complicated.
anewman35

Postby ChicagoCoasters on August 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
For the membership rewards it says that you can trade in your points for Slingshot experiences. Are we getting a Slingshot or is it just a copy and paste?
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 24th, 2018, 11:56 pm
anewman35 wrote:Oh, and that "three months free" deal is really not very good...

"Membership 3 Free Months Promotion Details: Sign up for a Membership through this promotion and we’ll add three free additional months of Membership to your account immediately following your last paid month. To receive your free additional months, you must be up-to-date on your membership payments and you must request your cancellation through our regular cancellation process. Add-ons such as Member Dining and Member THE FLASH Pass are not included in this special offer and will not be automatically extended into the free period. Instead of three free months, Members who remain in the program 48 months will receive an in-park credit equivalent to three months of their regular monthly Membership fees (does not include add-ons such as Member Dining or Member THE FLASH Pass)

So you only get the three months free after you cancel (or after four years they'll give you park credit for it). I guess, maybe, you could figure out a way to cancel the membership at the exact point where you would want the three months, then restart it afterwards in a way that makes it worthwhile, but seems needlessly complicated.

I think you will see a LOT of furious people with this. They won't read that, and think the 3 months start right away. Than, those furious people won't ever come back for a LONG time. What a horrible promotion. I can't even believe that, they wouldn't even give you the 3 free months after a year / forcing people to cancel. Sometime in the future, I see a class action lawsuit for this type of trickery.

This is a good one too (to read):
"Free food for the rest of 2018 applies only to new Season Dining Pass holders only. Nothing nefarious going on here -- it's just that if you already have a 2018 Season Dining Pass then you've technically already paid for your 2018 food. It would be incorrect for us to claim that it is "free.""
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sven18 on August 25th, 2018, 9:01 am
The 3 months free is a big "nothing burger" in my opinion. You get 3 months free after you decided you no longer want to be a member. It would have been a benefit if they gave the 3 free months to 2018 pass holders that by now. 2018 pass holders are double paying from september to the end of the year if they buy now. SF Q3/Q4 revenue will be a record with this slick double paying gambit. If people think it thru they would not buy memberships till Jan 1st. Buying now you do get the 4+ price even if you buy less than 4, that's $1/mth and $12 the first year of membership. However you are paying 4 months when you still have your 2018 benefits. So, a gold plus will be paying $28.60 to save $12..net negative of $16.60. I also wonder if starting month 13 you revert back to the normal price ie...$8.15/mth for gold plus or whatever the rate for the membership is for your level in 2020 or do you continue to get the 4+ price whatever that is for 2020. On the surface Gold Pass to the lowest membership looks good potentially until, you get into the details. Gold pass is $68 and Gold Plus membership is $86, $18 mor and you get the free drinking bottle and the benefits you essentially got in2018 Gold pass that were moved to membership. However in the fine print don't forget the membership is $1/mth(making it $98 or you can pay $20 deposit). So, SF gets $12 or $20 from you that they can claim as revenue. Then as mentioned before does that 4+ price stick beyond the 12 months. These are just some of the many questions people will have. I hope SF has their customer service ready phone and email b/c the number of questions with this are endless. Somehow I doubt the CS resources will be adequate to the inquiry level.
Sven18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm
^ Yeah the questions are definitely endless which shows the way Six Flags does business is very weird, complicated, and unnecessary :roll: .
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby cliffhanger on August 26th, 2018, 10:31 am
Minor off-toppic quip here: I'm so glad the people here use good grammar and spelling. The groups on Facebook are hideously bad and half the time I don't understand what people are trying to say.
cliffhanger

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 26th, 2018, 10:39 am
^ Haha I get it! I agree with you.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby IssaCoaster on August 26th, 2018, 11:52 am
Was it just recently that Six Flags Great America moved into the top 20 in the country or have I not been paying attention? It said attendance was up 3% from 2016 to 2017. We are closed for most of the time in the winter too and we earn the 3rd highest amount in the Six flags chain. That's good news for us! More investments!
IssaCoaster

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2018, 3:19 pm
They had a churro event ert thing last Sunday. With Six Flags being in charge, what could go wrong? First off, I bought my item at about 3:30 pm at the Coca-Cola stand near the carousel. So I buy the item, and of course the person doesn't know about the wristbands. Remember, this is 3:30 PM! People have bought churros before this time, and probably got nothing at this ONE stand! So, they eventually find the wristbands at the booth. A person before me bought 2 churros, and they got nothing. You ask what ride they are having. Of course, they don't know nothing. So, I have to ask a random supervisor along the way. Than, the typical Six Flags move is that instead of it being 1 hour, they make the event 40 minutes (just because) yet the food stands that sell the churros are still open even after I left the park. So, if you bought a churro at 8:45 pm, you aren't getting on a ride because the rides are closed by than even though the food booths (with the churros which they want you to buy) were still open.

How do your food people not know anything when you are trying to sell a food item for an event?? These things should be 1 hour no matter what.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the rides were Superman and Condor.
Ilovthevu'

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on August 29th, 2018, 12:12 pm
^ Yep that was definitely not worth it, especially the churros.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 11:11 am
For the season pass, you have to buy it this Labor Day weekend to get the flash sale, but you have until November 11, 2018 to process it. If people want to avoid, that October thing, they either have to go this weekend to process it, or remember you have 2 weekends in November when the park is back to normal.

I don't see why they would buy a new one.
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Couldn't you also activate the pass in December during Holiday in the Park?

Also, I know of at least 2 people who did NOT activate their 2018 pass last year and were allowed to do it this year. One of them didn't activate his until July 31!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm
It says this:

^"SEASON PASS PURCHASERS: To get the Free upgrade to Gold, free Parking, and bonus ticket to Holiday in the Park, you must pick up your Season Pass Card at Six Flags Great America by November 11, 2018. This requirement does not apply to guests signing up for Memberships."

Did he still get the gold (free) parking though by activating it this year? You can still use your season pass, but it's about the upgrade to gold.

The only 2 differences I see between the regular season pass & the gold season pass are no Bonus friend ticket on select days, and the season parking.
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:19 am
^ YES, both guys (one in April and one on 7/31) still get the Gold upgrade, including the free parking
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby anewman35 on August 31st, 2018, 6:27 pm
Well, sounds like they may not enforce their rule, but if it was me I wouldn't risk it...
anewman35

Postby n9yty on September 7th, 2018, 9:10 am
The free three month thing is a disaster. To offer as incentive a benefit you only get WHEN YOU CANCEL is beyond bizarre. And, if you have the member dining it doesn't carry over for those three months, and I don't you could even pay for it since you had to cancel. Bizarre! Who wants three months without dining? Not me. LoL

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
n9yty

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 7th, 2018, 10:13 am
n9yty wrote:The free three month thing is a disaster. To offer as incentive a benefit you only get WHEN YOU CANCEL is beyond bizarre. And, if you have the member dining it doesn't carry over for those three months, and I don't you could even pay for it since you had to cancel. Bizarre! Who wants three months without dining? Not me. LoL

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

You just cancel your membership then and not the dining. I’ve done it before and it’s simple. I’ve had a membership since they came out which was 4 years ago now I think I’ve cancelled twice in that time to get the cheaper price when it was on sale.

B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 16th, 2018, 3:48 pm
I don't know if this is totally confirmed but Great Adventure's superloop is being moved and getting shipped over to La Ronde XD I think that's crazy.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JackGlass on September 16th, 2018, 4:08 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I don't know if this is totally confirmed but Great Adventure's superloop is being moved and getting shipped over to La Ronde XD I think that's crazy.

El Diablo is a standard sized super loop. Corporates probably like... meh....send it to that S*it hole in Canada and we'll get Great Adventure an extra large super loop! El Mucho Grande Diablo! lol
JackGlass

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum