Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What rides would you like to see get removed and why

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 25th, 2018, 11:26 am
This is the OPPOSITE of this topic, but I don't want to make a new topic.

ONE is the loneliest number (from a song), and it's NOT good right now IF Six Flags only owns 1 of a certain ride.

For instance,
*Triple Play is worrisome. Six Flags now only has ONE Huss Troika (Triple Play) in their parks. They
technically own another one, but they have not put it back up. If you do like Triple Play, and you do worry about it going away, at least you have another one in Illinois at St. Nicholas Village, plus Cedar Fair has done the opposite of Six Flags, and put 5 million Huss Troikas in there parks. So you just need to visit a Cedar Fair park, or go to East Dundee, IL. The closest Cedar Fair park could be World's of Fun, Cedar Point, or Kings Island that each have a Huss Troika.

*Ricochet is the only Huss Swing Around at a Six Flags park.

*Sky Trek Tower - I believe this is the only sky cabin ride at Six Flags park. The good news though is that Intamin (the company that makes it) is still around & still sells these types of rides, but it's never good to be a ONE in the Six Flags corporation.

*Fiddler's Fling - I don't like it. I don't care if they get rid of it. However, if you are someone that likes this ride, ride it now. Don't wait until 5 years, and it's gone because it's the only Calypso Six Flags owns.

*The Lobster (which I don't really like), there are 2 of them at a Six Flags. The other one is in Six Flags Mexico called a different name. Still, it is a Shrawtzkof ride, and they are long gone. It being at Six Flags Mexico, doesn't really help it's case because Six Flags Mexico also has a double Chance Inverter, and not many American parks have a Chance Inverter whatsoever. When you don't have a lot of roller coasters, you rely on the smaller rides more, I guess. I suspect the next death of the Lobster = removal of the park. It already had a couple deaths more recently, and pretty soon, the park will get fed up with it, and removal. Because of multiple deaths already, I would put this ride in SEVERE danger. And yes, they moved it elsewhere, etc, etc, but things change if the thing dies again.

*Condor has a LITTLE better odds with 3 of them - at Great Escape & La Ronde plus at least Huss Rides is still in business.

_________

Of course, with the recent getting rid of all the Enterprises, and soon the demise of all Huss Top Spins, this reminds me to mention this.

I will give a positive statistic right now. Scramblers are NOT a one. Six Flags Over Georgia is just one of the Six Flags parks that was dumb to get rid of theirs, but there are a lot of Scramblers, plus Eli Bridge Company is still in business, and an American company. The only reason I mention America is because an American company is easier to get parts than a foreign company. It takes longer if you get a part from Germany as compared to the US.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 26th, 2018, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Mean Streaker on August 26th, 2018, 2:26 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:Joker is the ugliest, most ill-placed, ride in the park! There were so many places it could've fit without disrupting the whole area. And on top of all that it's boring and underwhelming. I would love to see it removed in the next 5 years.

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ugly? I think its one of the best looking rides in the park. I don't think it's placement is too bad.

The ride itself doesn't look too bad in the skyline. But everything on the ground doesn't fit my taste. The queue is a boring, bland piece of concrete, there is no landscaping anywhere around the ride, and even though there was some potential for awesome but cheap theming they decided to give it the worst in the park. The surrounding area just reeks of little effort, more so than what I usually expect from Six Flags.

I had a bad taste in my mouth from the horrible wait I endured on my first ride. I liked it a little more after reriding it. It's an okay addition to the park, but I don't think it will be a staple for very long.
Mean Streaker

Postby RBullFan97 on August 26th, 2018, 5:32 pm
^I actually agree a lot of what you're saying. First of all, let me just preface that I actually like the Joker and think it's a fun addition to the park. But yes, the ride just reeks of modern Six Flags with almost zero-effort in landscaping/theming. I remember when I first saw the station, my reaction was "that's pathetic," plus there's the very sterile, concrete feel of the area. When you compare the theming/look of Joker to its next door neighbor Batman, it's night and day.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 26th, 2018, 11:28 pm
^The lines for the Joker are terrible. Who welds almost every line together like that? I'm not calling for it's removal, but that is just STUPID as can be. That's why you have chains all over the rest of the park. By doing that, they are asking for trouble with everyone go under all the lines to get to the real line. I've seen it like that. It's mass chaos. Than, the employees get mad at the people. Well, who designed it so horribly like that? You think the park would learn something as simple as that after 40 years, but NOPE!
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby MrsTaxi on August 27th, 2018, 12:49 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:^The lines for the Joker are terrible. Who welds almost every line together like that? I'm not calling for it's removal, but that is just STUPID as can be. That's why you have chains all over the rest of the park. By doing that, they are asking for trouble with everyone go under all the lines to get to the real line. I've seen it like that. It's mass chaos. Than, the employees get mad at the people. Well, who designed it so horribly like that? You think the park would learn something as simple as that after 40 years, but NOPE!

:lol: I hate that,too.
MrsTaxi

Postby Mean Streaker on August 29th, 2018, 12:25 pm
I'm not as disappointed in Joker now as I was when I made the first post, so I'm not calling for its immediate removal by any means.

But I have to say, it's definitely not one of our strongest coasters. And for that reason I don't think it should stay longer than most of the other coasters.

The only coaster I could see being weaker is The Dark Knight, it's fun but hasn't aged well in terms of popularity.
Mean Streaker

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 8:08 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Mean Streaker wrote:Joker is the ugliest, most ill-placed, ride in the park! There were so many places it could've fit without disrupting the whole area. And on top of all that it's boring and underwhelming. I would love to see it removed in the next 5 years.

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ugly? I think its one of the best looking rides in the park. I don't think it's placement is too bad.

I was agreeing with the comment about boring and underwhelming :) As for Dark Knight, I still really like the ride! (more so when the effects are timed right :) ) And my kids LOVE that ride! It's a fun family coaster and dark ride. That ride fills several niches. And, yes, Joker is an eyesore
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 8:15 am
RBullFan97 wrote:^I actually agree a lot of what you're saying. First of all, let me just preface that I actually like the Joker and think it's a fun addition to the park. But yes, the ride just reeks of modern Six Flags with almost zero-effort in landscaping/theming. I remember when I first saw the station, my reaction was "that's pathetic," plus there's the very sterile, concrete feel of the area. When you compare the theming/look of Joker to its next door neighbor Batman, it's night and day.

In my opinion, Batman is THE best themed ride in the entire park! I'm now appreciating that more and more each time I ride it. And I Know this is unpopular but I believe Dark Knight is also very well themed ride, possibly 2nd best after Batman.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JT2002 on August 30th, 2018, 7:14 pm
I can see V2 getting moved to another park, like SF over georgia, which has no launch coasters at all
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 30th, 2018, 7:22 pm
If Magic Mountain can have 3 launch coasters, why can't we have more than one?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm
I can't think of a single good reason to get rid of Vertical Velocity. People still seem to enjoy it and it usually has a line. I know that it has maintenance issues and I also get that its capacity sucks but that is the same as a lot of coaster in the World. I think it is just fine where it is.
coasterkidd100

Postby JT2002 on August 30th, 2018, 7:42 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:If Magic Mountain can have 3 launch coasters, why can't we have more than one?

Again, some parks like SF over Georgia don't even have a launch coaster, I can see it leaving in 2021.
They say there isn't a spot in the park where rusting metal or peeling paint is at least 15 feet away from you.
JT2002

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:20 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:This is the OPPOSITE of this topic, but I don't want to make a new topic.

ONE is the loneliest number (from a song), and it's NOT good right now IF Six Flags only owns 1 of a certain ride.

For instance,
*Triple Play is worrisome. Six Flags now only has ONE Huss Troika (Triple Play) in their parks. They
technically own another one, but they have not put it back up. If you do like Triple Play, and you do worry about it going away, at least you have another one in Illinois at St. Nicholas Village, plus Cedar Fair has done the opposite of Six Flags, and put 5 million Huss Troikas in there parks. So you just need to visit a Cedar Fair park, or go to East Dundee, IL. The closest Cedar Fair park could be World's of Fun, Cedar Point, or Kings Island that each have a Huss Troika.

*Ricochet is the only Huss Swing Around at a Six Flags park.

*Sky Trek Tower - I believe this is the only sky cabin ride at Six Flags park. The good news though is that Intamin (the company that makes it) is still around & still sells these types of rides, but it's never good to be a ONE in the Six Flags corporation.

*Fiddler's Fling - I don't like it. I don't care if they get rid of it. However, if you are someone that likes this ride, ride it now. Don't wait until 5 years, and it's gone because it's the only Calypso Six Flags owns.

*The Lobster (which I don't really like), there are 2 of them at a Six Flags. The other one is in Six Flags Mexico called a different name. Still, it is a Shrawtzkof ride, and they are long gone. It being at Six Flags Mexico, doesn't really help it's case because Six Flags Mexico also has a double Chance Inverter, and not many American parks have a Chance Inverter whatsoever. When you don't have a lot of roller coasters, you rely on the smaller rides more, I guess. I suspect the next death of the Lobster = removal of the park. It already had a couple deaths more recently, and pretty soon, the park will get fed up with it, and removal. Because of multiple deaths already, I would put this ride in SEVERE danger. And yes, they moved it elsewhere, etc, etc, but things change if the thing dies again.

*Condor has a LITTLE better odds with 3 of them - at Great Escape & La Ronde plus at least Huss Rides is still in business.

_________

Of course, with the recent getting rid of all the Enterprises, and soon the demise of all Huss Top Spins, this reminds me to mention this.

I will give a positive statistic right now. Scramblers are NOT a one. Six Flags Over Georgia is just one of the Six Flags parks that was dumb to get rid of theirs, but there are a lot of Scramblers, plus Eli Bridge Company is still in business, and an American company. The only reason I mention America is because an American company is easier to get parts than a foreign company. It takes longer if you get a part from Germany as compared to the US.

Take down almost any flat ride we have but do NOT touch Condor!! Or Triple Play! Hometown Fun Machine can definitely go though.......

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2018, 11:24 am
coasterkidd100 wrote:I can't think of a single good reason to get rid of Vertical Velocity. People still seem to enjoy it and it usually has a line. I know that it has maintenance issues and I also get that its capacity sucks but that is the same as a lot of coaster in the World. I think it is just fine where it is.

I can think of 4 good reasons:
1) Super low capacity
2) Sucks down electricity
3) Never a line for the ride
4) Frequently goes down

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on August 31st, 2018, 1:35 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
coasterkidd100 wrote:I can't think of a single good reason to get rid of Vertical Velocity. People still seem to enjoy it and it usually has a line. I know that it has maintenance issues and I also get that its capacity sucks but that is the same as a lot of coaster in the World. I think it is just fine where it is.

1) Super low capacity
4) Frequently goes down

There’s a line for this ride. You don’t see it because they pack everyone into the station. It’s a good 25 minute wait in there.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 31st, 2018, 8:57 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

1) Super low capacity
4) Frequently goes down

I get the points that you make but they can still be argued to some extent.

1. Most theme parks have at least one coaster that doesn't have the best capacity.
2. Yes it uses a lot of electricity but I am not sure why we really care about that. We aren't paying for their electric bill. Well I mean I guess we do by going to the park but I am sure that you know what I mean.
3. Every time I go to the park there seems to be a decent sized line for it.
4. Yes,I will agree that it goes down a lot but I used to work for the park for years and can say that we have quite a few rides/coasters that go down quite frequently. I will honestly say Vertical Velocity does stay down for longer periods of time than most of our other rides/coasters do though.
coasterkidd100

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 5th, 2018, 4:52 pm
JaminOut wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

1) Super low capacity
4) Frequently goes down

There’s a line for this ride. You don’t see it because they pack everyone into the station. It’s a good 25 minute wait in there.

Ben, then you accept 3/4 of my points!! :D

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on September 7th, 2018, 1:27 pm
All I am going to say is that I am glad most of you aren't in charge of the park, as we'd have nothing left.

I went of Lex Luthor Drop of Doom at MM (a 400 foot drop tower) and you can feel the tower sway at the top. It was kind of a bit scary and crazy. I loved it.

Battle needs to go, but you definitely get wet on it. Last time I went on it, I got DRENCHED, and that's why I stopped going on it because I go too wet on it.

I personally am not a big fan of Condor. It's old and looks ugly. I would like to go too. Everything else is fine. I love STT and the flumes. Go-karts don't annoy me. I've done Dare Devil Dive before too.

I would personally get rid of the loop because I think its pointless
coasterfanatic

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 7th, 2018, 4:03 pm
How is the Hangover pointless? We needed a new thrilling flat desperately.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:How is the Hangover pointless? We needed a new thrilling flat desperately.

You consider Hangover thrilling?? It's the slowest and most controlled ride ever. The only thrilling thing for me is if I can ride it with my 8yo and wait less than 30 minutes!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Sven18 on October 10th, 2018, 5:44 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:How is the Hangover pointless? We needed a new thrilling flat desperately.

It's pointless b/c it's a superloop. The millionth in the chain and a bigger one doesn't make it any less lame. There were a lot better choices of thrilling flats..ie..Zamperla Giant Discovery or Endeavour, etc..
Sven18

Postby anewman35 on October 10th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Sven18 wrote:

It's pointless b/c it's a superloop. The millionth in the chain and a bigger one doesn't make it any less lame. There were a lot better choices of thrilling flats..ie..Zamperla Giant Discovery or Endeavour, etc..

Most people who go to Great America never go to other parks in the chain. The fact that other parks in the chain have the same ride doesn't make us having one pointless.
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on October 11th, 2018, 12:41 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
1) Super low capacity
4) Frequently goes down

There’s a line for this ride. You don’t see it because they pack everyone into the station. It’s a good 25 minute wait in there.[/quote]

Rides that have longer lines are not rides to get rid of. People still like them, are willing to wait for them. Your "super low capacity" figure is not as low as a bunch of rides in the amusement industry. Six Flags just put in a roller coaster with only 8 seats PER a LONG train / a longer circuit (than even the Joker) called Wonder Woman. You have 16 passenger rides like the KMG Freak Out. Whizzer per train is not that great of capacity. It's only 12 seats, if 1/2 of them were only 1 person, that's only 18 people per train. When Whizzer runs only 2 trains (like it has the whole year), the Whizzer can't be sent until the last train hits the final break run. That's about 2 minutes of time. That's a long time for a coaster to be sent no matter what.

Little Dipper is not that great of capacity. Giant Drop is not that great of capacity especially with them running less than 6 sides at a time. Than, people say Giant Drop is a walk-on. That's the stupid ride that should go already! The problem is, is that they don't have anywhere to send it to because most likely every Six Flags park has some sort of drop ride, or S&S tower. The Joker has only 8 seats per car. Remember V2 is 28 people per train. Again, V2 was a much cheaper ride to build. It's not comparable in 1000+ capacity to the $20 million+ B&Ms of today. It is also in a small area.

Than, you sometimes have "super capacity" rides that are HORRIBLE loaders. They take forever. They get so much capacity per ride, but than you wait, and wait, and wait, and wait for the ride load. East River Crawler is one of those rides at Great America. It takes FOREVER to load that ride because they insist on having 1 employee for 25 cars (up to 50 people per ride), so loading for each ride might take 5 minutes or more, and no I'm not kidding. Rides like Max Air, and ferris wheels fall in this category. They load so many people, but than they take so long to load. So, than the "super capacity" is kind of negated with really long loading time. Sometimes, they only load 1/5 of a ferris wheel because they have too many cars. So, it takes forever to get on these rides.

So, lets say they get rid of it. They are only going to put flat rides in that area unless you get something like a Premier Rocket or an Intamin skateboard ride. It's such a small area for another roller coaster. To me, why would they waste that area for flat rides when you could put 4 flat rides in Buccaneer Battle or Giant Drop? In my opinion, you won't be happy if it's gone either because it's not big enough for anything unless you take the flumes away, but they NEED regular water park rides. You can't just have everyone only go in the waterpark.
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm
^^ Yeah, and Joker is the FIRST ride I'd get rid of :) Not just due to the low capacity either.

V2 was fun when it first came out but it really does nothing for me now. In terms of inefficiency,
the Big Un-Easy Balloons is the worst! That ride takes like 5 minutes to come to complete stop and then ride op has to manually unlock each balloon.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby FParker185 on October 14th, 2018, 10:07 am
Joker would be better and worth keeping around if they took it out of family mode and put on more fins. Get it into the 8-10 flip range like some others.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum